The sudden interest in psionics

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

JonSetanta
King

Re: The sudden interest in psionics

Post by JonSetanta »

Prak_Anima at [unixtime wrote:1189110781[/unixtime]]I know that mixing Monk and Samurai rapes the already broken gestalt like a helpless baby...

Uncool dude. Un.. cool. :razz:

Calibron: thanks for links.
Heh... saw the Iameki skill thread again and realized my question on Steady Stance was never answered... I got it, though. Lightning doesn't seem to be able to unbalance anyone, more like just kills shit. Stupid question >_<;

I been thinking about the skill-less variant Crissa mentioned. Wasn't there something like it in Unearthed Arcana?
Something like rather than any skill points, skill ranks are equal to class level+3 and gained by class feature...

Emulating the 'sampling skills' D&D has, adding 1 or 2 ranks here and there, would be more difficult to do. But then again it's less math all over.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

In my House Rules I've done away with skill points and made it so you can choose to have a skill Untrained(no ranks), Competent(same as Cross-Class max ranks), or Expert(max ranks). The basic premise is very simple, but when you get into specific multiclassing, leveling up, and permanent int increases situations the rule gets a little more weighty. I could post it up if you like.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

sigma999 at [unixtime wrote:1189120732[/unixtime]]
Prak_Anima at [unixtime wrote:1189110781[/unixtime]]I know that mixing Monk and Samurai rapes the already broken gestalt like a helpless baby...

Uncool dude. Un.. cool. :razz:

too much? I'll take it out... maybe I'll find a different way to phrase it...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Calibron at [unixtime wrote:1189116387[/unixtime]]

:freakedout:

Prak_Anima at [unixtime wrote:1189110781[/unixtime]]think I could those links? I've been printing them out and adding them as part of an appendix to the pdf(which I've also printed out... all 210 pages of it...)

[Skill]Feats by Iaimeki
[Combat] and [Magic]Feats by Koumei
[Combat]Feats by Janus Jones
[Combat]Feat by AlphaNerd and [Skill]Feat by Judging Eagle

And I believe there was a thread where you posted a Familiar granting [Magic]Feat.

thanks, I'll see if there's anything I've haven't gotten already.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Crissa: I do consider the warlock of similar feel to psionics of most fiction; there's only the problem of it sucking (Frank Trollman: "It's worse than PHB noncasters" - and he didn't mean "rogue", be sure). :)

On the soulknife, I tended to consider the ability to remake the mind blade an improtant part of the concept, but, of course, for people who don't, the RoW samurai's absolutely perfect (unless I'm missing some feat for remaking).

Calibron: please post these skill rules (though a new thread might be the best).
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Calibron at [unixtime wrote:1189123100[/unixtime]]In my House Rules I've done away with skill points and made it so you can choose to have a skill Untrained(no ranks), Competent(same as Cross-Class max ranks), or Expert(max ranks). The basic premise is very simple, but when you get into specific multiclassing, leveling up, and permanent int increases situations the rule gets a little more weighty. I could post it up if you like.

Yes please
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Bigode at [unixtime wrote:1189129098[/unixtime]]Crissa: I do consider the warlock of similar feel to psionics of most fiction; there's only the problem of it sucking (Frank Trollman: "It's worse than PHB noncasters" - and he didn't mean "rogue", be sure). :)

On the soulknife, I tended to consider the ability to remake the mind blade an improtant part of the concept, but, of course, for people who don't, the RoW samurai's absolutely perfect (unless I'm missing some feat for remaking).

Calibron: please post these skill rules (though a new thread might be the best).

a samurai with a "cursed" blade(unsorted material) works rather ncely then...

Fuzzy_logic
Journeyman

Post by Fuzzy_logic »

I'd also like to point out that there's absolutely no mechanical reason to differentiate a mindblade from an unarmed strike. They're both one-handed attacks that are always available and can't be taken from you.

Ergo, a "Soulknife" is jsut a RoW Monk whose Slam does piercing damage.

Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Fuzzy_logic at [unixtime wrote:1189188927[/unixtime]]I'd also like to point out that there's absolutely no mechanical reason to differentiate a mindblade from an unarmed strike. They're both one-handed attacks that are always available and can't be taken from you.

Except sometimes flavor is actually important to the rules. Mindblades can be dual-wielded, but a slam attack cannot. Mindblade attacks can be wielded along side normal weapons as well. Mindblades should probably be sunderable. Mindblades can be thrown. Use of mindblades should probably be independant of all the other cool stuff which comes with being a monk, such as not using armor.
Fuzzy_logic
Journeyman

Post by Fuzzy_logic »

Well, theoretically maybe mindblades should be usable with and without other armor, shields, etc. But if we're making it into a class, rather than a feat, that class is going to have certain types fo armor that mesh with the class. That's how D&D works.

Note that there's actually not much penalty to wearing armor if you're a RoW Monk, and if you're a multiclassed fighter/monk, you might even want to.

I actually don't think we need mindblades to be sunderable. They can just be recreated instantly anyway, so why bother?

You can indeed use a sword and a mindblade... or a sword and a slam attack.

If you want to have 2 mindblades though, then it gets a little tricky. You can't really do that with the Monk as written. Still, there ought to be a pretty easy way to fix that.

I actually like the mechanical flavor that goes with monks -- it makes mindblade warriors clearly distinct from ordinary soldiers. Monks have a bunch of magical abilities, many of which trigger on a slam, so magic attacks conducted through a magic blade make a lot of sense.

If you don't like monk, though, you could always adapt any other source with natural weapons into a mindblade user. There are a billion random ways to get claw attacks, any of which could be "mindblade" attacks instead.

Failing all that, either make a feat for it, or make a race which has mindblade attacks as a natural weapon.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Catharz at [unixtime wrote:1189217157[/unixtime]]
Fuzzy_logic at [unixtime wrote:1189188927[/unixtime]]I'd also like to point out that there's absolutely no mechanical reason to differentiate a mindblade from an unarmed strike. They're both one-handed attacks that are always available and can't be taken from you.

Except sometimes flavor is actually important to the rules. Mindblades can be dual-wielded, but a slam attack cannot. Mindblade attacks can be wielded along side normal weapons as well. Mindblades should probably be sunderable. Mindblades can be thrown. Use of mindblades should probably be independant of all the other cool stuff which comes with being a monk, such as not using armor.

What the fuck.. I replied to FL an hour ago and the forum ate my post.

Anyways... Monks can be nearly identical in function.
Ranged attack = Ki Blast (or some similar house rule)
Dual wielding = Flury of Blows
Enhancements = magic gloves, rings, arm bands to alter properties of a Monk strike.

The FnK Monk is just plain fuckin sw33t. For anyone that wants a better Monk, check it out if you haven't by now...