Monte Cook Back to Work

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Leper wrote:
  1. psychic attacks--I'm hackin' ur brain to make you think I'm killing you.
  2. energy attacks--one can easily postulate that all energy is not physical, although many forms can indeed effect physical matter.
  3. time attacks--temporal progression/regression is not a purely physical phenomena, although it certainly can be described as having physical effects on the individual.
  4. fate attacks--rare, although usually pretty powerful. "Congrats, we just snipped your thread in the Loom."
  5. luck attacks--also somewhat rare, but I've seen more than a few systems do this.
  6. spiritual attacks--utterly nonphysical by definition.

Do I need to list some more, or will that be sufficient?
how about 1, one that has ANYTHING to do with D&D, since this thread is about D&D and Monte Cook working on D&D.

none of that shit has a thing to do with D&D.

1. sound like Shadowrun
2. in D&D if is damages you it IS physical
3~6. this shit doesnt exist in D&D that causes a loss of HP.

maybe you need to learn what game you are talking about before runnign your mouth about something you have no idea about.

the Shadowrun thread is a few down on the list of threads in this forum. this thread deals with D&D. HP in other games are meaningless as to how their stupid system does something in regards to a discussion about D&D.

at least when PR trolls, he is somewhat on topic for the thread.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Leper
Apprentice

Post by Leper »

shadzar wrote:how about 1, one that has ANYTHING to do with D&D, since this thread is about D&D and Monte Cook working on D&D.
I am saddened by what you think D&D is not.
1. sound like Shadowrun
Yeah. Psionics have never been a part of D&D, ever. Also, no vancian spell or even spell like ability has ever been essentially a rip-off of a psionic effect that Gygaxian self-strokers thought was okay because magic was doing it instead of psionics.

OWAIT.
2. in D&D if is damages you it IS physical
What exactly is negative and positive energy? (among others) I'm pretty sure they qualify as #6 at the very least.
3~6. this shit doesnt exist in D&D that causes a loss of HP.
Again, I am saddened by what you think D&D isn't.

I'm not even going to bother to go find examples of these. I'm just gonna give you a little e-hug and a tap on the back and say "I'm really sorry that your imagination has so little room for any of this that you'll pretend it doesn't exist." You're really missing out.
maybe you need to learn what game you are talking about before runnign your mouth about something you have no idea about.
Thank you, I am slightly anemic and needed a bit more irony in my diet.
this thread deals with D&D. HP in other games are meaningless as to how their stupid system does something in regards to a discussion about D&D.

at least when PR trolls, he is somewhat on topic for the thread.
Speaking of being "on topic," you completely bypassed the last half of my post which was really the crux of my argument. I need absolutely none of the above points to be correct for the second half to be. Of course, it's nice that they are correct, because I was really just answering a question you asked, and I'm glad I did. You seem to be really confused, and I hope that helped.

As much as I hate to be the new guy telling people they're wrong, the folks who said you're some sort of "rite of passage" and I should just put you on my ignore list and move on were 100% incorrect. You're both so hilariously, fatuously, incorrect on such a frequent basis that you qualify as a genuinely entertaining draw to these boards, AND you have the added bonus of being an object lesson of what happens when someone is so busy shoving their head up their ass that they "know what real D&D is" and don't need to actually pay attention to what it is or has been all along anymore*.

Stay you, buddy. Stay you. :thumb:

*To get back "even more" on topic, it's really a lot like having a conversation with some sort of alternate reality Monte. I'm not sure what would happen if you two met, but I'm going to imagine it would work like the two versions of people touching in TimeCop, while Jean-Claude runs towards you in slow motion screaming "Noooooooooooooooo that guy owes me five buuuuuuuuuucks and I really need cab faaaaaaaaaaaare!!!"

Awesome.
Last edited by Leper on Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
-Voltaire... who, if I'm reading most of the rest of his stuff properly, didn't actually appreciate much.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

remember folks, lepers are contagious.....
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

If I don't look at the names, I can't even tell which one is which.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!