Do Pro-Athletes/Coaches get paid enough?

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Actually I would argue that Football players are underpaid. (But then personally I think professional football should be abolished as it currently stands. People complain about boxing when football is by far more dangerous to a person's health.) The biggest problem is that (with the exception of the kicker who can literally last many decades on the job and only does his work on occasion during the game) given their short career as a professional football player (until the point where they are so banged up as to be practically disabled) they are generally given ZERO education as how to manage that wealth to enable them to spread it out over the rest of their pathetic post game career lives. (And thus most wind up in poverty in their later life.)
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

There are much less career ending, life altering injuries in Rugby than there are in American Football.

That should really tell you something.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

There is an argument that all the protective padding encourages more dangerous collisions in Football. Impacts resulting from two charging opponents is the greatest facor in concussion related injuries. Some commentators have even suggested going back to the days of the leather helmits in order to discourage that sort of dangerous behavior.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Whoops sorry I meant football, not American football. Should have been clearer, I doubt people playing American football over here can actually live off it. Think the only way they can is if they can get to play in the American league.

I don't know anything pretty much of how much people in American football get payed, I believe nothing from the more popular student league (that people informed me about a couple weeks ago).

But I guess the general question should also include what the sport adds to society. Which for American football is quite a lot I think in America, and pretty much 0 over here.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Pro athletes generally dont have skin in the game. That usually precludes people from getting shares.

Pro athletes also don't do any of the work. If e.g. playing basketball were valuable independent of the NBA, you'd see lots of amateur work (like how there are many community theaters charging for tickets).
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

In the US, Pro-Football is popular due to a variety of reasons. It is the most "sold out" of all the sports. Decades ago they added an official whose job it was to literally stop play until the networks finish their commerical. (In American Baseball, any network - like ESPN - who thinks they are more important than the ball players often wind up having to show the first pitch home run in instant replay instead of live.) Football is such a major college sport that every professional player is introduced by what college they went to.

Most importantly, Football is played during the winter, when there is not much else to do. The stadiums are large and even though they charge an arm and a leg for food people cook their own food outside in the parking lots (so called "tail gaters" for their ability to cook on the back gate of their trucks). It is also a game where people can debate for years over the proper offensive vs defensive play.

Finally, any cold weather sport where the cheerleaders look more dressed for a tropical beach is A-OK to many a warm blooded male sports fan!

There is a reson why Debbie did Dallas and not the Yankees! :tongue:

On the other hand, the most noble sport is GOLF. :tongue:
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

tzor wrote:There is an argument that all the protective padding encourages more dangerous collisions in Football. Impacts resulting from two charging opponents is the greatest facor in concussion related injuries. Some commentators have even suggested going back to the days of the leather helmits in order to discourage that sort of dangerous behavior.
While it's probably a factor I wouldn't underestimate the rules differences, since there's a number of rules that lead to rugby having less "serious" concussions.*

First of all, while head on collisions--particularly helmet to helmet-- are certainly capable of causing concussions oftentimes when people REALLY get rocked is when rotational forces are involved or your head gets bounced off the ground. Aside from scrums everyone keeps their heads up in rugby for the most part and in a number of phases of the game you can only initiate contact while coming from your own side of the field or are prohibited from driving your opponent to the ground. Likewise only lateral passes are allowed so there's few situations where a rugby player must turn their back on a defender by design and get blindsided while turning upfield. So while rugby is pretty hardcore and often leads guys ending their careers with a face that looks like something out of Bruegel painting it is also less likely that you'll get whipped around before being sent into the turf head first or otherwise cause your brain to bounce around inside your own skull.

Another thing to keep in mind is that rugby isn't an environment that favors the extreme specialization of grid iron. Everyone has to be able to run with the play and be able to make plays on the ball whereas in grid iron there are players that aren't even eligible receivers. Between that and the prohibitions against blocking rugby favors players who are well-rounded athletes who probably weigh about as much as an NFL running back or strong safety whereas in the NFL you have incentive to send 300+ maulers charging into people every down.

*Being a brain injury even "minor" concussions should be taken seriously but in this context I'm referring to incidents that remove people from play and are thus the ones that are reported consistently. A lot of minor concussion symptoms simply aren't reported or taken seriously by players.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

One of the problems with American Football is that is very common to run at full speed halfway across the width of the field to tackle an opponet by the collision of the impact. That doen't happen in Rubgy where one does not go full speed at the moment of impact against a runner going in the opposite direction. You tend to calculate your tackle carefuly.