Legend: some dude's d20 clone

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Vnonymous
Knight

Post by Vnonymous »

IRC is still the best chat software out there.

Its' also used for filesharing and controlling botnets, and it does pretty well at that.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

He took it because Sage has like 6 HP per level, and Utter Brute has 12. Also, Utter Brute has those "I kill things" goodies, which fit with his idea of having a magic sword and stabbing people.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

...You Lost Me wrote:He took it because Sage has like 6 HP per level, and Utter Brute has 12. Also, Utter Brute has those "I kill things" goodies, which fit with his idea of having a magic sword and stabbing people.

Why not just be an utter brute with weaponized, attack unarmed, and fluff it as magic sword?
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

He wanted "ALL THE WEAPONS" for tripping and stuff and we ruled that Weaponized only applies if the average damage of the weapon is lower than the weaponized damage. So he'll change from Greatsword to flail to mace and such.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

There's been rules added for quick-generating minions.

http://www.ruleofcool.com/wp-content/up ... /Mooks.pdf

Also some sample monsters.

http://www.ruleofcool.com/wp-content/up ... blocks.pdf
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

It's weird that Frost Giants are given as such lowlevel creatures. You can still totally level them up, but if the average Frost Giant is weaker than the average Dire Wolf, that seems like it's really subverting a lot of D&D history, and not really in a good way.

And those sample monsters do seem rather on the complex side.

The minion rules look fairly usable, though.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

Blicero wrote:It's weird that Frost Giants are given as such lowlevel creatures. You can still totally level them up, but if the average Frost Giant is weaker than the average Dire Wolf, that seems like it's really subverting a lot of D&D history, and not really in a good way.

And those sample monsters do seem rather on the complex side.

The minion rules look fairly usable, though.

Yeah, minion rules are all right, but they really are what the default monsters should be. The monster previews look exactly like what they seemed to be from the core book: 4 paths translating into lots and lots of powers. Not a single monster is above 9th level, but all of them take literally an entire page, with just stats and powers. No fluff text or anything. I could see maybe handling one monster per encounter like that, but expecting every standard monster to be like that is ridiculous.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

So, um, new feats. Juggernaut, among other things, allows you to base all class features for one track off of Strength. For example, Spellcasting.

Looks like the Rage Mage just got better, if you're willing to give up MNiW.

Also any pretense of balance is gone.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Damnit, they beat me to it.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:So, um, new feats. Juggernaut, among other things, allows you to base all class features for one track off of Strength. For example, Spellcasting.

Dartmuth Secret is like that as well. Unless I'm missing something major, these feats seem to be bizarrely OP. (I also don't get the fluff for it at all as it pertains to the actual abilities. Presumably it's a reference to Dartmouth or something?)
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Blicero wrote:
CatharzGodfoot wrote:
So, um, new feats. Juggernaut, among other things, allows you to base all class features for one track off of Strength. For example, Spellcasting.

Dartmuth Secret is like that as well. Unless I'm missing something major, these feats seem to be bizarrely OP. (I also don't get the fluff for it at all as it pertains to the actual abilities. Presumably it's a reference to Dartmouth or something?)
Yeah, it's kinda sad. Especially considering that letting you use Strength or Intelligence for anything should be balanced, since they're otherwise the most worthless attributes in the game. C'est la 3e.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Here are a bunch of suggested changes that it is almost certainly too late to implement, and which would probably not have made it in anyway. Nevertheless, I think they're good ones.

Core Rules

A note on math: Often, you will be required to divide one number by another to determine the numeric value of an attribute or effect. Whenever the result is fractional, round up to the nearest whole number.

Why? This avoids akwardness like adding one to all fractional bonuses gained at 1st level.

Attributes

There are four basic attributes: Charisma, Dexterity, Intelligence, and Strength.

Charisma adds to Will, Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Ride.

Dexterity adds to Reflex, Initiative, Acrobatics, Larceny, and Stealth.

Intelligence adds to Awareness, Perception*, and all Knowledge skills.

Strength adds to Fortitude, hit points per level, and Athletics.

Why? Because currently too many attributes don't do enough, or do too much. 4e-style saves makes strong & hardy, smart and agile, or wise and persuasive characters undesireable, and attempts to 'juice up' such characters with better ability sets (e.g. Barbarian) leads to even more imbalance.

Attribute scores range from -5 to infinity. Legend is designed for characters using a standard attribute array of +3, +2, +1, -1. If a character's attribute drops below -5, she becomes incapacitated until her attribute returns to -5.

Saving Throws

Awareness, Fortitude, Reflex, and Will should be on the same schedule. It doesn't matter whether they all use standard save progressions, level plus modifiers, or 1/2 level plus modifiers. They're all saves, they should all be on the same schedule. It also doesn't matter whether they are 'throws' or passive defenses, but they should be one or the other.

Classes & Races

With the above attribute changes, many classes need new KOMs or KDMs. Here is a possible set.
Barbarian: Str, Dex.
Monk: Int, Str.
Paladin: Str, Cha.
Ranger: Dex, Int.
Rogue: (Dex|Dex|Int), (Str|Int|Cha).
Sage: Cha or Int, Dex or Str.
Shaman: Int, Cha.
Tactician: Int, Str.

Some races need different bonuses.
Dwarf: + Int & Str, - Cha.
Elf: + Dex & Int, - Str.
Gnome: + Cha.
Orc: + Str.

The Path of Rage's Strength bonus is over the top. Abilities like this should be considered in the following way: 'Would a maximim of +14 to an attribute be overpowered for any attribute or any other class tracks?'. My inclination is to change it to a bonus to damage and Athletics.

Skills

An argument can be made for Perception being Awareness, although if Awareness stays passive there are some decent arguments for active Perception.

Actions & Combat

The suprise round is an useless throwback to 3e. Just have an encounter start with people rolling initiative, and have 'surprise' be an emergent property of not expecting an attack (due to failure of Awareness, most likely).

Spells

Spellcasting tracks at full buy-in are better than items for pretty much any character. One clear example is "nature's power", which blows attribute bonus items out of the water (as well as stacking with them). You could change the nature's power bonus to '+2 (or +1) item bonus to a physical attribute', change the bonus to apply to a skill, or remove both the spell and attribute bonus items from the game entirely.

Reverting to the 3e system of minimum attribute requirements for spell levels might be attractive, but that only nerfs spell casting buy-in for certain classes.

Equipment

'Guardian' implies that it is synonymous with 'one-handed', but there are a number of one-handed weapons which aren't 'guardian'. So either remove the Guardian trait or the one-handed/two-handed designations (offenders: flail, spear).

Spear and longspear are the same weapon, save that you can use a spear one-handed. Drop the longspear like a bad habit.

The longsword in two hands is identical to a greatsword. The battleaxe in two hands is identical to a greataxe. The mace in two hands is identical to a warhammer or a staff. All main weapons are basically identical, but that's OK because of flavor an feat distinctions.

But all you really need for swords and axes (not including the tomahawk) is a 'sword' and a 'battleaxe'.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

VladtheLad
Apprentice

Post by VladtheLad »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:So, um, new feats. Juggernaut, among other things, allows you to base all class features for one track off of Strength. For example, Spellcasting.

Seems they agree with you http://www.ruleofcool.com/?p=242

Actually they already have changed Juggernaught.
Last edited by VladtheLad on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

VladtheLad wrote:

Seems they agree with you http://www.ruleofcool.com/?p=242

Actually they already have changed Juggernaught.
Damn', that was fast.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

It's nice of them to respond so well to critique.

In other news, Catharz, as much as I like your system, it appears that Charisma is getting the middle finger again and Strength is now the life tax.

Also, I've always wanted a name for a save to "Alacrity" now that I think about it. There should be a save called "Alacrity"...
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

...You Lost Me wrote:It's nice of them to respond so well to critique.

In other news, Catharz, as much as I like your system, it appears that Charisma is getting the middle finger again and Strength is now the life tax.

Also, I've always wanted a name for a save to "Alacrity" now that I think about it. There should be a save called "Alacrity"...
No worse Strength than Constitution.

I was thinking that KDM could add to HP as well as (or rather than) AC. That would hammer home the value of KDM, rather than the current setup which makes it tertiary unless you have abilities based on it. Unfortunately, it would leave Strength out in the cold again (unless you based AC off of Strength).

As far as Charisma getting shafted, I don't see it. Will saves and social skills are both important to keep from getting turned into a doormat, and Ride give out a fucking cohort.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

It probably would be best to make HP based off of the KDM, actually. That's a pretty damn good idea. The whole thing is an abstraction anyways; it wouldn't hurt. You could put Dex to AC then, and maybe put Init to intelligence, find something to shift to Cha, and place Intimidate/Ride in Strength to compensate for the loss.

Also, ride grants cohorts? How does? Most of the abilities I see there aren't entirely "I have a new player" so much as "moar buffs!"
Last edited by ...You Lost Me on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The way the mount rules work, it seems a bit more like getting an item. If it granted a mook companion, I could see that as working ok.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Ferret
Knight

Post by Ferret »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:

Attribute scores range from -5 to infinity. Legend is designed for characters using a standard attribute array of +3, +2, +1, -1. If a character's attribute drops below -5, she becomes incapacitated until her attribute returns to -5.
What the fu....no. No negatives. Attribute scores range from 0 to infinity, standard array is something like +4, +2, +1 +1. Zero is a valid attribute score. Going negative = incapacitated. Model being shitty at stuff with penalties to untrained skill rolls or something.
JesterZero
Journeyman

Post by JesterZero »

Prak_Anima wrote:The way the mount rules work, it seems a bit more like getting an item.
That's my understanding as well, although it seems to be an "item" that doesn't count against your item "slot" limit.

You have to do some cross-referencing between the recently-released mount rules and the write-up for the Ride skill, but mechanically it seems to be a lot more like having a slot-less item that provides buffs (notably movement modifiers at the early levels) rather than having a second character or cohort who can participate in the action economy.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

Ferret wrote:
CatharzGodfoot wrote:

What the fu....no. No negatives. Attribute scores range from 0 to infinity, standard array is something like +4, +2, +1 +1. Zero is a valid attribute score. Going negative = incapacitated. Model being shitty at stuff with penalties to untrained skill rolls or something.

The advantage of Catharz's model is that the bonuses he gives are the same bonuses you'd get from a 16, 14, 13, 8 attribute array. Which means that you can keep the same basic d20 scales in place.

But if you're ripping out all of the guts and starting anew, then, yeah, your system is the way to do things. (If you even have attributes.)
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Blicero wrote:
Ferret wrote:
CatharzGodfoot wrote:

The advantage of Catharz's model is that the bonuses he gives are the same bonuses you'd get from a 16, 14, 13, 8 attribute array. Which means that you can keep the same basic d20 scales in place.

But if you're ripping out all of the guts and starting anew, then, yeah, your system is the way to do things. (If you even have attributes.)
Yes, zero (or below zero) should be incapacitated, but there are too many ways in Legend to add two attribute modifiers (or more) to a d20 roll. Having a standard attribute array of 8, 7, 6, 4 (or with six attributes, 8, 7, 7, 6, 5, 4) would totally fuck the math. Using 4, 2, 1, 1 would make attribute damage way too good in the current system.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

I'm getting a bit concerned about Legend. It's been weeks since they hit the first donation milestone at which they pledged to produce an adventure module, and none have been released yet. If it takes this long for the makers of the game to write an adventure, that doesn't bode well for regular MCs.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:I'm getting a bit concerned about Legend. It's been weeks since they hit the first donation milestone at which they pledged to produce an adventure module, and none have been released yet. If it takes this long for the makers of the game to write an adventure, that doesn't bode well for regular MCs.
Let them have their Christmas break. ;)
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Valid point.