3.X Alternate Multi-classing idea (decade too late)

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

the_taken
Knight-Baron

3.X Alternate Multi-classing idea (decade too late)

Post by the_taken »

This has been going on in my head for the past few weeks. 3e multi-classing makes things hard to balance. What it looks like is that you can be a level 20 whatever and have all the power that entails, or you can do all sorts of things by taking different classes. What actually is happens is that your are either fine (fighter 8, paladin 4, ranger 4, barbarian 4), underwhelming (wiz 6, cleric 4, mystic theurge 10), to an outright failure (cleric 4, druid 4, ranger 4, paladin 4, monk 4). This is, of course, not taking into consideration the discrepancy in caster/warrior power levels.

Then I remembered AD&D's old dual-classing model, where in you could take another class and progress it from level 1 as if you were a level 1 character, using the XP chart for a first level character. HP and other things wouldn't stack with your highest class, but you would gain the abilities of the new class. Of course, porting those rules over wholesale is just stupid, since there were pointless limitations there.

How this would work in 3.X:
  • You have a character level, based on how much XP you have. This level is used to measure your character's power, and determines how much XP they get from encounters, and and their CR.
  • Your character has class levels. You start a level 1 in a single class for free. Increasing a level in a class requires that your acquire a certain amount of experience points, and each level requires twice as many experience points to achieve as the previous (1k to get the second level of the class, 2k more to get to third level, etc.)
  • To acquire a second class, you must be an N level character (I suggest 3 times the classes you want to begin) and simply declare your new chosen path. You automatically gain the first level of the new class, and from then on your must advance that class until it's level is equal to all your other class levels. From then on, you must alternate between adding levels to each class to keep them all within 1 level of each other.
  • You do not gain more HD. Instead, keep track of your rolls for every level of each class. If on the same level, one class rolls better than another, use the better result.
  • You do not accrue all the skills points associated with the class. You get more skill points if your new class provides more skill points than your previous class(es), and you only gain the difference. However, to encourage organic character generation, you also get more 2 skill points per new class level (without INT mod), x4 at at first level.
  • Skill Ranks Maximum is equal to half your class level, plus 1.5 at first level, plus half the highest class level that has the skill as a class skill, plus 1.5 for the first level of that class.
  • Saves do not stack between levels. Only use the better progression for each level.
  • Prestige classes have dummy levels with no features equal to lowest number of levels in a class you needed to qualify for it. These dummy levels have no HD, and provide no skill points aside from the 2 bonus skill points for taking a new class. These dummy levels also do not count as actual levels for the purpose of determining when you must alternate between adding levels to your new class and all other classes. If you've acquire all of the actual levels of a prestige class, you no longer need to progress the others. You may also progress prestige class levels beyond the levels of any other class in any manner your chose, or chose not to advance them at all after the first level.
Complicated? Damn straight. Balanced? I doubt it's perfect, but I believe it makes the fighter/wizard gish and mystic theurge more viable.
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Can you show me an example of what one of the gishes or mystic theruges would look like? I'm pretty lost.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

It looks more similar to AD&D multi-classing than dual classing, to me. And it suffers from the same problem: single-class characters get the shaft, since a level N character is usually worse than a level N-1 character with double the abilities.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

RobbyPants wrote:Can you show me an example of what one of the gishes or mystic theruges would look like? I'm pretty lost.
Sure. Well start with the theurge, since that one is the easiest.

As it works right now, a class level fits into a character level like a panel in a slot. So, you begin as a wizard and reach level three, and you're a third level character. Great! You have a high INT, but you also have a religious side and a high WIS. Naturally, you decide to become a cleric at 4th level instead of continuing on as a Wizard. That probably felt good then, but it wasn't a good idea. At sixth level, you're still casting spells like a third level wizard, but your cleric casting has caught up to your wizard level... It isn't horrible, but it isn't good, either. You don't have Fireball.

So you take the Mystic Theurge prestige class with the promise that both classes will be advanced together. As a 7th level character, you are casting spells as a 4th level wizard, and 4th level cleric. This still isn't good, but at least you're not falling behind any further. But then again, you are falling behind, since a Mystic Theurge uses a d4 HD, poor BAB and only has WILL as a good save. You're versatility and spell casting endurance is mitigated by the fact that you're one or two spell levels behind, and thus lagging in spell DCs and the power of your effects. You can't even heal bot properly because counters to strategies and certain status effects are often available at the spell levels those same strategies and status effects become available. The best you can do is cast low level spells a lot more often. And then at character level 16 you have pick between adding to cleric and wizard again since you've run out of Mystic Theurge prestige class to feel adequate in. Of course, you probably ditched the character to cohort status long before then.

With this proposed multi-class rules, things can be complicated, but the results are clear. For character with two classes character are easier to calculate; your class levels will be 1 less than your character level. For a theurge, you'll want to be a straight Cleric/Wizard. It doesn't matter which class you take first, since the second class will catch up before when you gain enough XP to reach the next character level, and then you gain a level in each class for each character level you gain after that. At character level 4, you're a level 3 cleric and a level 3 wizard. You use the 3 of the Cleric's HD of d8 (which likely rolled much better than the the wizard's d4s), the Good Fort and Will save of a third level character, and comparable skill ranks. You can progress like that until the end of the game, where you are half a spell level behind, like a Sorcerer, but have the HP, saves and skills to compare to with other characters of your character level. Actually, this character is probably broken seven ways to the ice cream bar, but that's little more than any cleric or wizard alone...

Things get a bit complicated if you want to take a prestige class, since you have to allocate XP in weird ways. A Mystic Theurge would require you be a 4th level character. If you wanted, you could progress Mystic Theurge above your Wizard and Cleric levels. It took 18000 xp to reach character level 4, and have 3 levels in both Wizard and Cleric. From then on, your Mystic Thurge level (plus dummy levels) would be 18,000 xp behind character level. After a few levels, your Mystic Theurge level would effectively be one less than your character level, until character level 16, which is when you've run out of Mystic Theurge levels to take.

-------

This Gish is a much better to demonstration. When you think of a sword mage, you think of a wizard that can fight with a sword really well. Like Gandalf, who can fight with two weapons and he's a wizard. (But he's not a ninja.)

With the standard 3e rules, you're probably want to become an Eldritch Knight, since you get near full-spell casting. But to qualify, you need full martial weapon proficiency, unobtainable unless to take a level in a class that grants it. So you take a level of fighter at some point, likely right after getting access to third level spells. At character level 6, you're a 5th level Wizard, and 1st level Fighter. Whatever. You're caster level behind, but at 7th level you can become an Eldritch Knight and rock near full spell casting and near full BAB... Except just having BAB isn't enough, you also need options to back it up. You have martial weapons, and while your BAB is comparable to a Cleric or Rogue by the time you're done the class, you have the same number of feats as those guys, and thus are hitting just as often as them. But you won't do well, since you have to stay out of armor and not use shields to avoid ACP, and your HP isn't quite as good as a rogue's. Melee spells doom for you, as it does for any wizard, so best avoid that. So you take up the bow, and can hit as well as a rogue with one could. You don't have sneak attack, but you do have spell casting, that's two levels behind. Not horrible, but certainly not good.

Alternatively, you may be interested in the Arcane Archer prestige class, and take that instead of Fighter to qualify for Elderitch Knight. That's a gish, right? Focusing on ranged attacks will certainly keep you away from melee. And then there's the Imbue Arrow Ability, which sounds pretty awesome, right? Unfortunately, you have to sacrifice three caster levels with this build, which means your as good as the Mystic Theurge from above in a single spells casting class. But you have a decent BAB right? That still means something, right?

With the proposed system from above, Gish characters look a lot more promising, and easier to pull off. Just like the Cleric/Wizard from above, a Fighter/Wizard is a wonderful meaty mage. Two good saves, d10 HD, full BaB and spell casting, all a level behind character level. Still no armor due to ACP, but a couple of spells can change that.

The Arcane Archer Class looks very tempting now, doesn't it? You don't need to take Elderitch Knight to keep your spell casting advancing, and since you only needed to take a single Wizard level to qualify, the Arcane Archer Class only has one dummy level (though you can't start it until your third feat). At character level 12, you have 11th level spell casting, a BaB of +10, nearly all good saves, 1d4+10d8 HD, and a number of interesting abilities.

The Elderitch Knight looks a lot better now, too, since you don't have to sacrifice too many characters levels to pull it off. Again, you have to be a sixth level character to become an Elderitch Knight, but instead of a Wizard 5/Fighter 1, you're a Wizard 5/Fighter 5. Much more respectable. You could cheese this by advancing all three classes together to acquire accelerated wizard spell casting progression, so maybe this doesn't work out great.
Last edited by the_taken on Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

So basically you take a +1 LA that can't be bought off to get Gestalt?
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

RobbyPants wrote:Can you show me an example of what one of the gishes or mystic theruges would look like? I'm pretty lost.
If you have 2 classes, you end up with something like a level 9 "gestalt" character instead of a level 10 single class character. (The gestalt system is described in Unearthed Arcana.)

If you have 4 classes, you end up with a level 8 "quadruple gestalt" character instead of a level 10 single class character.

If you have 8 clases, you end up with a level 7 "octuple gestalt" character instead of a level 10 single class character.

Etc.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

Seerow wrote:So basically you take a +1 LA that can't be bought off to get Gestalt?
Yes. It gets more complicated if you take more classes, but that sums it up.

ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

So why would you ever want a system like this?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

My thought along these lines was giving everyone something that looked like a full caster spell progression chart - class-independent, so it's attached to the basic level table (like <shudder> 4e).

Then you just have slots which can be filled from your class list. If you multiclass, there's some sort of proportional-selection rule so people who are predominantly X with a splash of Y must select predominantly X and few Y abilities for their slots. And some abilities aren't 1/day spells but static bonuses or at-wills.

So, assuming 4 slots at 1st level...

Wizard: Shield (static), Magic Missile (at-will), Charm Person (daily), Sleep (daily).
Fighter: Good Weapon Proficiency (static), Good Armor Proficiency (static), Combat Focus (at-will), low-level feat effect (static).
Monk: Armored in Life (static), Fatal Strike (static), Willow Step (static), Fighting Style (at-will)
Fire Mage: Fire Resistance (static), Fire Bolts (at-will), Fire Burst (at-will), Impress Flames+Fire Magic (static)

It would need a deal of fiddly jiggering and isn't fully thought out, but I think putting everyone on a single ability progression is a salvageable idea.

Although now that I think of it, doing it the other way around where you can just pick any abilities you want and if you have enough [class X] abilities, then you are a [class X] and get some free bennies is an idea that's had some support as well.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

Mostly, I'm thinking aloud. As hogarth points out, it's not a good fix. But I do think it's better since you can stay level appropriate. It just opens up way more ways to break the game.

-------

An issue I have with your system, Angel, is that in some ways it breaks immersion into fine powder. I can see where today a wizard can cast Arcane Bubbles and Arcane Shield, but tomorrow he instead can only cast Acid Arrow and Grease. What I can't see it a point where a Fighter/Mage can be set up to cast Arcane Shield and use Swords, but tomorrow he can't use swords because he's prepared to cast Summon Moogle 2 and Acid Arrow.

It does look like it has potential, though.
Last edited by the_taken on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Yeah, on a moment's reflection I think it may have to get into a second set of currency based on manipulating 'Abilities Known,' where some choices are permanent or at least semi-permanent (swap out only at level-up or similar). Like how you could fill some of your Abilities Known slots with the ability to cast spontaneously out of your Abilities Prepped slots to be a Sorcerer.