D&D Icons, Tome-ified (45 NPCs and counting!)

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Midnight_v
Knight-Baron

Post by Midnight_v »

i think I'll do one... Lesh haruc. Dhakanni ruler.
It'll take a day.
Don't hate the world you see, create the world you want....
Dear Midnight, you have actually made me sad. I took a day off of posting yesterday because of actual sadness you made me feel in my heart for you.
...If only you'd have stopped forever...
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

I read those books. Is this before or after he gets the royal artifact and fails his save versus megalomaniacal stupidity?
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:
Master of Snake Mountain's spell casting increases do jack shit for a warlock, although it probably should improve eldritch blast at the very least. The save DC for eyebeams is Charisma-based. The save applies only to the symbol of pain.

Venger should take the Wings of Evil feat (even if he doesn't use them), to account for his monstrous appearance (fiend feats can come with physical 'deformities', like having dead white skin, a horn, and fangs).
I like the idea of spell casting increases affecting eldritch blast. Added a house rule in the Venger post to allow this. I also realized that the Magical Aptitude feat didn't do much for Venger, so I replaced it with Wings of Evil.

Also, does anybody know if there's a Tome feat/class/thing that replicates the effects of the Practiced Spellcaster feat? I gave it to Jack Chick to improve his CL from 9 to 13.
Midnight_v
Knight-Baron

Post by Midnight_v »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:I read those books. Is this before or after he gets the royal artifact and fails his save versus megalomaniacal stupidity?
It would be "before" I didn't read those books and only have the blurbs from the eberron game books.
I did read the wiki though. pretty crappy stuff, that befell him.
Don't hate the world you see, create the world you want....
Dear Midnight, you have actually made me sad. I took a day off of posting yesterday because of actual sadness you made me feel in my heart for you.
...If only you'd have stopped forever...
Aharon
Master

Post by Aharon »

The DC for the Chick Tracts is too high. Lot's of low-level PCs can blow this save. Perhaps you should add a clause that you get the bonus on your highest mental stat as a bonus to the saving throw. Alternatively, make it so that nobody above certain WIS/INT (14?) can be affected unless he rolls a 1 on his save.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Aharon wrote:The DC for the Chick Tracts is too high. Lot's of low-level PCs can blow this save. Perhaps you should add a clause that you get the bonus on your highest mental stat as a bonus to the saving throw. Alternatively, make it so that nobody above certain WIS/INT (14?) can be affected unless he rolls a 1 on his save.
Maybe they can only affect people who already have an unfavorable view of the group in the first place. Against people who already have a favorable view, they immediately become unfriendly to Jack Chick.
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

I will take Aharon's and RobbyPants' views into account.

I think that a DC 12 (+highest mental stat) is necessary. Even other fundamentalist Christians sometimes think that Chick goes too far.

Additionally, it only works on readers who already have an unfavorable view of said group. Otherwise, no save is necessary.
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

"Yo dawg, I heard you like D&D, so we put an NPC in your thread so you can save time while you DM!"

City Watch
LN Human Warrior 2
Hit Points: 15
Initiative: 0
Armor Class: 16 (+4 armor, +2 shield) touch 10 flat-footed 16
Attacks: Longsword +5 (1d8+1, 19-20 x2), Light Crossbow +4 (1d8, 19-20 x2)
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+3

Abilities: Str 12 Dex 10 Con 12 Int 10 Wis 10 Cha 10
Saves: Fort +1 Ref 0 Will +3
Skills (25 points): Balance 4 (+4), Climb 4 (+4), Intimidate 4 (+4), Listen 4 (+4), Spot 4 (+4), Use Rope 1 (+1)
Class Features: Replaceable (+2 attack), Signature Weaponry
Equipment: Scale Mail, Steel Shield (first BAB benefit), Longsword, Light Crossbow (20 bolts)
The Edge: City Watchmen have the Edge against any opponent with a BAB lower than their own.

Almost all forms of society have some kind of law enforcement, be they a private militia of farmers driving off raiders to organized police forces. The city watchmen is a common presence in many towns and cities. The statblock is for a moderately trained officer with little in the way of advanced secret martial and magical techniques, and assumes the settlement has easy access to metal goods and trade.

Thanks Xzibit!
Last edited by Libertad on Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:27 am, edited 5 times in total.
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

Bandit
NE Human Warrior 2
Hit Points: 13
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 feet
Armor Class: 14 (+3 armor, +1 dexterity) touch 11 flat-footed 13
Attacks: Battleaxe +5 (1d8+1, x3), Shortbow +5 (1d6+1, x3)
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+3

Abilities: Str 13 Dex 12 Con 11 Int 10 Wis 9 Cha 8
Saves: Fort 0 Ref +1 Will +2
Skills (25 points): Hide 2 (+3), Listen 4 (+3), Move Silently 2 (+3), Ride 5 (+6), Survival 4 (+3), Spot 4 (+3), Use Rope 4 (+5)
Class Features: Replaceable, Signature Weaponry
Equipment: Studded Leather Armor, Battleaxe, Composite Shortbow (+1 Str bonus), Light Warhorse
The Edge: Bandits have the Edge against any opponent with a BAB lower than their own.

It's safe to say that over 95% of D&D gamers have fought bandits at some point during their hobby. This statblock assumes that the bandit's part of a reasonably successful group, having robbed enough merchants to be able to afford some good equipment.
Last edited by Libertad on Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

Alright guys, let's make this happen! I want to stat Mordenkainen!

But where should I start? Should I make him epic level, as is tradition? Or can we be fine with him being a level 20 Wizard? Lower level, perhaps?

From what I've read of him, he seems to be Greyhawk's super-mage guy with a fetish for preserving the "Balance of Neutrality."

Also, I don't intend on using Epic Spells for level 20+ builds. They're far too crazy and open-ended. Besides, there should be enough stuff in sourcebooks to make spellcasters take on world-spanning threats.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

NPCs above level 20 are relatively useless. The game has already ended by the time you reasonably encounter them (without them being 'Immortal Elves').

If Mordenkainen is going to be super high level, he should be a 20th level wizard/Seeker of the Lost Wizard Traditions (/archmage?), with all the real knowledge skills.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

I was thinking of Seeker of the Lost Wizard Traditions as well.

Level 20 it is!
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

I'd like to request Tome versions of the Pathfinder iconics. Possibly saving the rise of mighty Valeros for last.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Damn', why do they all have to have such sob stories? Is it an attempt to justify stabbing people in their faces and stealing their stuff, or is Pathfinder even more emo than Vampire?

Valeros (Ha!)
Human Fighter 2

S 15 (16), C 14, D 13, I 12, Ch 10, W 8.

Class abilities: Combat Training, Weapon Focus.

Feats: Combat School (twin blades), Two Weapon Fighting, Elusive Target.

Skills: Balance 6 = 5+1, Climb 8 = 5+3, Intimidate 5, Knowledge (dungeoneering) 6 = 5+1, Move Silently 6 = 5+1, Ride 6 = 5+1, Spot 4 = 5 - 1, Tumble 6 = 5+1.

Defense:
AC 18 = 10+1+2+5 (touch 13, flat-footed 15).
Fortitude 5 = 3+2, Reflex 4 = 3+1, Will 2 = 3+1.
Hit Points 19 = 2d10+4.

Offense:
Meele +8 bastard sword 1d10+5 and +8 shortsword 1d6+3.
Ranged +4 shortbow 1d6+3.

Equipment: armlets of strength, masterwork bastard sword, masterwork silver shortsword, breastplate, masterwork shortbow, 2 flasks of alchemist's fire, 2 flasks of acid, backpack, 100' silk rope, rations (6 days), 20 arrows, 5 adamantine arrows, 2 potions of cure light wounds, 67 gp, horsey.
Meresiel
[Gray] Elf Thief Acrobat 2

D 17 (18), I 14, C 12, S 11, Ch 10, W 8.

Class abilities: Acrobatic Flair, Pole Jump, Trapfinding, Evasion, Sneak Attack +1d6.

Feats: Two Weapon Fighting.

Skills (8): Balance 8 = 5+3, Disable Device 7 = 5+2, Hide 8 = 5+3, Move Silently 8 = 5+3, Search 9 = 5+2+2, Sleight of Hand 4 = 1+3, Spot 5 = 4+2-1, Tumble 8 = 5+3, Use Magic Device 5.

Defense:
AC 17 = 10+3+4 (touch 14, flat footed 13).
Fortitude 1 = 0+1, Reflex 7 = 3+4, Will -1 = 0-1.
Hit Points 11 = 2d6+2.

Offense:
Melee +3 masterwork rapier 1d6 (+1d6 sneak attack) and +3 masterwork dagger 1d6 (+1d6 sneak attack).
Ranged +6/+6 alchemist's fire 2d6 (+1d6 sneak attack).
Or ranged +6/+6 acid flask 1d6 (+1d6 sneak attack).
Or ranged +7 shortbow 1d6 (+1d6 sneak attack).

Equipment: gloves of dexterity, masterwork rapier, masterwork dagger, masterwork shortbow, masterwork studded leather armor, backpack, 20 acid flasks, 10 alchemist's fire, 2 tanglefoot bags, 20 arrows, wand of cure light wounds, 3 rations, 21 gp.
Amiri of the Six Bears
Human Barbarian 2

S 17 (18), C 16, D 13, Ch 12, W 10, I 8.

Class abilities: Fast Healing 1, Rage, Combat Movement +5', Rage dice +1d6.

Feats: Combat School (giant weapons), Horde Breaker.

Skills (4): Intimidate 6 = 5+1, Move Silently 6 = 5+1, Spot 5, Survival 5.

Defense:
AC 15 (13)= 10+4+1 (-2).
Fortitude 6 (8) = 3+3 (+2), Reflex 1 (3) = 0+1 (+2), Will 0 (2) = 0 (+2).
DR 3/-.
Hit Points 24 = 2d12+6.

Offense:
Melee (raging) +11 greatsword 2d6+8+1d6 (+2d6 on a charge).
Ranged +4 longbow 1d8+4.

Equipment: bracers of bear's brawn, masterwork greatsword, masterwork longbow, masterwork animal spirit armor, 20 arrows, backpack, 1 ration, 10 gp.
Alain, Knight of the Cockatrice
Human Knight 2

S 15, C 14, Ch 13, D 12, I 10, W 8.

Class Abilities: Code of Conduct, Designate Opponent +2d6, Damage Reduction.

Feats: Mounted Combat, Danger Sense, Hunter.

Skills (5): Diplomacy 6 = 5+1, Knowledge (history) 5, Ride 6 = 5+1, Sense Motive 4 = 5-1, Spot 4 = 5-1.

Defense:
AC 23 = 10+8+4+1 (flat footed 22, touch 11).
Fortitude 2 = 0+2, Reflex 1 = 0+1, Will 2 = 3-1.
DR 1/-
Hit Points 22 = 2d12+4.

Offense:
Melee +7 morningstar 1d8+2 (+2d6).
Melee (charging) +9 lance 2d8+8 (+2d6).
Ranged +4 shortbow 1d6+2 (+2d6).

Equipment: heavy warhorse, masterwork full plate armor, masterwork kite shield, masterwork morningstar, masterwork lance, masterwork shortbow, 20 arrows, 10 silver arrows, 10 adamantine arrows, saddle bags, 6 rations, 2 potions of cure light wounds.
Balazar
[Forest] Gnome Summoner 2

Charisma 15 (16), Constitution 16, Dexterity 13, Intelligence 12, Strength 8, Wisdom 8.

Class abilities: Armored Casting, Aura, Rapid Summoning, Spells, Summoned Cohort, Sudden Extend.

Race abilities: too many to list...

Feats: Apprentice (devil).

Skills (5): Concentration 8 = 5+3, Diplomacy 7 = 4+3, Intimidate 7 = 4+3, Knowledge (the planes) 6 = 5+1, Profession (infernal lawyer) 2, Sense Motive 4 = 5-1.

Defense:
AC 16 = 10+4+1+1.
Fortitude 3 = 0+3, Reflex 4 = 3+1, Will 2 = 3-1.
Hit Points 15 = 2d6+6.

Spells per day: 6/5.

Summoned Cohort: fiendish small monstrous scorpion.

Equipment: circlet of persuasion, masterwork chain shirt, backpack, law books, 3 rations, little morning star, silver dagger.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:56 am, edited 7 times in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

Scion of the Goblin Empire
LE Hobgoblin Marshall 6 /Legendary Tactician 1
Hit Points: 73
Initiative: +3
Armor Class: 24 (+7 armor, +2 shield, +3 dexterity, +2 deflection) touch 15 flat-footed 19
Attacks: Ancestral Blade +13 (1d6+6+1d6 fire, 15-20, x2 +1d10 fire); Full Attack Ancestral Blade +13/+8; the Scion usually Power Attacks on a -3 attack/+6 damage trade-off.
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+9

Abilities: Str 14 (17 with Belt) Dex 16 Con 16 Int 16 Wis 10 Cha 16 (19 with Helmet)
Saves: Fort +8 Ref +8 Will +5 (+11/+11/+8 with Cloak)
Skills (68 points): Balance 6 (+12), Bluff 6 (+9/+10), Climb 6 (+8/+9 Belt), Diplomacy 6 (+9/+10), Heal 10 (+10), Hide 2 (+5), Intimidate 9 (+12/+13), Jump 6 (+8/+9 Belt), Knowledge (History) 9 (+10), Move Silently 2 (+5/+12), Sense Motive 6 (+6)
Feats: Commander (B, Command Rating 3, Leadership Score 11), Dreadful Demeanor, Expert Tactician, Whirlwind
Class Features: Marshall: Battle Shout (+4), Heal Injuries (10 hp, 7/day), Inspire Bravery (+4), Untiring, Magic Circle (Against Chaos), Dispelling Glare (DC 17), War Shout, Bolster Allies, Inspire Heroism, Aura of Healing (10 hp, 7/day), Project Voice, Leadership; Legendary Tactician: A World of Opportunity, Assistance, Legacies of Command (+1)

Equipment: Ancestral Blade of the Goblin Nation (Magic Scimitar, flaming burst and keen properties), Boots of Elvenkind (+7 Move Silently), Cloak of Resistance (+3 enhancement bonus), Helmet of Charisma (+3 enhancement bonus), Magic Lamellar Armor (+3 enhancement bonus, ghost touch property), Belt of Giant Strength (+3 Strength bonus), Necklace of Protection (+2 deflection bonus), Masterwork Steel Shield (first two BAB benefits)
The Edge: The Scion has the Edge against any opponent with a BAB lower than his own.

Hobgoblins have the greatest potential to forge a mighty nation and make it a world power. The Hobgoblins mastered the techniques of the Nine Swords in the Tome of Battle, they imbued their ranks with mage-powered soldiers in Monster Manual 5, and they have a rich history of martial and magical lore in the official settings of Eberron and Kingdoms of Kalamar.

This hobgoblin is a visionary leader, a figure who makes the most out of his people's numbers and military discipline. His ranks are composed of traditional fighters as well as scouts and spellcasters. If you really want to challenge enemy armies, give him access to siege weapons.
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

"Be afraid, be very afraid."

Mordenkainen
N Male Human Wizard 8/Seeker of the Lost Wizard Traditions 7/Archmage 5
Hit Points: 141
Initiative: +3 (+7 with Gloves)
Armor Class: 35 (+9 armor, +5 deflection, +4 natural armor [half normal], +7 dexterity) touch 22 flat-footed 28
Attacks: Ray spell +16 ranged touch (damage and effects vary)
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+9

Abilities: Str 10 Dex 17 (24 with Gloves) Con 18 Int 28 (35 with Headband) Wis 15 Cha 18 (Mord started with an 18 int, then raised it to 24 with Bound Efreet 12th level, boosted it to 27 at 17th level, then 28 at 20th level)
Saves: Fort +9 Ref +11 (+15 Gloves) Will +17 (+16/+18[+22]/+24 with Cloak)
Skills (199 points): Appraise 19 (+31/+34), Concentration 19 (+26), Craft (Alchemy) 5 (+14/+17 Headband), Decipher Script 19 (+31/+34), Diplomacy 11 (+15), Knowledge (Arcana, History, Nature, Religion, the Planes) 12 (+21/+24), Knowledge (Architecture) 7 (+16/+19), Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 9 (+18/+21), Knowledge (Geography, Local, Nobility) 8 (+17/+20), Sense Motive 11 (+13), Spellcraft 23 (+35/+38)
Feats: Bureaucrat, Combat Casting, Cryptographer, Chain Spell (Comp. Arcane), Extend Spell (B), Lightning Reflexes, Mage Slayer (SR 25), Magical Aptitude, Scribe Scroll (B), Quicken Spell

Class Features: Wizard: Spellcasting, Familiar; Seeker: Spell Reflection, Scroll Preparation, Uncapped Magic, Burst Conservancy, Harvest Magic, Expanse of the Sky, Temporary Portal, Unbreachable Stone Defense; Archmage: High Arcana: Arcane Reach, Mastery of Shaping, Spell-like Ability (Greater Teleport 2/day, Time Stop 2/day, True Seeing 2/day)
Spells Prepared (prepares wearing Headband, 4/7/7/14/14/3/4/4/6/4, Save DC is 22 + spell level): 0: Arcane Mark, Detect Poison, Message, Prestidigitation, Read Magic, Resistance; 1st: Alarm, Color Spray, Grease, Protection from Evil, Ray of Enfeeblement, Shocking Grasp, Silent Image; 2nd: Blindness, Detect Thoughts, Knock, Mirror Image, Rope Trick, Scorching Ray, Web; 3rd: Blink, Dispel Magic x3, Fireball x2, Haste, Hold Person, Major Image, Nondetection, Ray of Exhaustion, Stinking Cloud x2, Tongues; 4th: Bestow Curse, Chained Scorching Ray x2, Dimensional Anchor, Enervation, Greater Invisibility, Hallucinatory Terrain, Overland Flight, Phantasmal Killer, Remove Curse, Resilient Sphere, Scrying, Solid Fog, Stone Shape; 5th: Break Enchantment, Mord's Faithful Hound, Wall of Stone; 6th: Chained Haste, Dispel Magic, Greater, Disintegrate; 7th: Chained Charm Monster, Mord's Magnificent Mansion, Scrying, Greater; 8th: Discern Location, Mind Blank, Moment of Prescience, Prismatic Wall, Quickened Enervation, Screen, Trap the Soul; 9th: Chain Flesh to Stone, Energy Drain, Prismatic Sphere, Wish

Equipment: Staff of the Magi (Artifact), Magic Clothes (+7 enhancement bonus, +2 total bonus, first two Diplomacy ranks benefit [deflection doesn't stack]), Brazier of Commanding Fire Elementals, Cloak of Resistance (+7 enhancement bonus) Headband of Intellect (+7 enhancement bonus), Gloves of Dexterity (+7 bonus), Ring of Wizardry III, Ring of Wizardy IV, Amulet of Natural Armor (+7 natural armor), Necklace of Protection (+5 deflection bonus), Bag of Holding Type V, Blessed Book, Carpet of Flying, Scroll of Summon Monster IX, Scroll of Greater Heroism, Scroll of Finger of Death, Scroll of Meteor Swarm; Mordenkainen is a powerful archmage and leader of a congregation of powerful spellcasters. He has easy access to any magic item worth 15,000 gp or less and can get his hands on almost any non-artifact magic item out there.
The Edge: Mordenkainen has the Edge against any opponent with a BAB lower than his own.

If there is an archmage more powerful than Mordenkainen in the World of Greyhawk, then he must be a deity. Mordenkainen can really wreak havoc in combat, with his diverse array of spells suitable for many occasions.

I was considering giving him Disjunction, but that spell's just a dick move when used by NPCs.
Last edited by Libertad on Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:13 am, edited 7 times in total.
Fenrisulfr
1st Level

Post by Fenrisulfr »

Libertad wrote:I was considering giving him Disjunction, but that spell's just a dick move when used by NPCs.
Yep, no reason at all for him to know Mordenkainen's Disjunction.
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

Tasslehoff Burrfoot, Precursor to 28 years of Kender PC Madness
NG Male Kender Rogue 14
HP: 86
Initiative: +6
Speed: 20 feet
Armor Class: 30 (+7 armor, +6 dexterity, +1 size, +2 Elusive Target, +4 deflection) touch 23 flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+7
Attack: Rabbitslayer +22 (1d4+6, 19-20, x2); Full Attack Rabbitslayer +22/+17; Tasslehoff adds +7d6 damage on a Sneak Attack; he usually Power Attacks on a -8 attack/+16 damage trade-off.

Abilities: Str 13 Dex 18 (23 with Necklace) Con 14 Int 12 Wis 9 Cha 13
Saves: Fort +7 Ref +14 [+16 necklace] Will +4 (+12/+19[+21]/+9 with Topknot)
Skills (153 points): Bluff 8 (+9), Climb 9 (+10), Concentration 0 (-2), Decipher Script 8 (+9), Disable Device 15 (+18/+32), Escape Artist 8 (+12/+28), Hide 17 (+25/+27), Listen 10 (+9), Move Silently 17 (+21/+23), Search 10 (+11), Sleight of Hand 17 (+26/+28), Spot 10 (+11), Tumble 16 (+20/+22), Use Magic Device 8 (+9)
Feats: Combat Looting, Deft Fingers, Elusive Target, Expert Tactician, Weapon Finesse

Class Features: Rogue: Sneak Attack +7d6, Trapfinding, Evasion (Improved), Trap Sense +4, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Special Abilities (Improved Evasion, Opportunist)
Equipment: Rabbitslayer (Magic Dagger, +5 enhancement bonus, returning property), Magic Cord Armor (+5 enhancement bonus, +7 total bonus, all but last Tumble rank benefits), Ring of Protection (+4 deflection), Ring of Mind Shielding, Necklace of Dexterity (+5 enhancement bonus), Topknot Band of Resistance (+5 enhancement bonus), Vest of Escape (+14 bonus)
The Edge: Tasslehoff has the Edge against any opponent with a Dexterity score lower than his own (23).

*I'm using the Kender racial traits from the Dragonlance Campaign Setting. All you need to know is that they get +1 to all saving throws, they're immune to all fear effects (including the Intimidate skill) and have +2 to Disable Device (Open Lock in original), Sleight of Hand, and Spot. They also can't Concentrate if their life depended on it, making them bad combat mages.

Oh, Tasslehoff, look at the destruction you have wrought on D&D tables throughout the years. Now that you have stats in 3rd edition, players and DMs alike now have the opportunity to wreak vengeance upon you!

These are stats for Tasslehoff at the end of the Chronicles.
Last edited by Libertad on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

And you were on such a roll...

Kender :tsk:
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

Perfectly allowable.

::begins sharpening the long knives and looking at Tasslehoff meaningully::
He jumps like a damned dragoon, and charges into battle fighting rather insane monsters with little more than his bare hands and rather nasty spell effects conjured up solely through knowledge and the local plantlife. He unerringly knows where his goal lies, he breathes underwater and is untroubled by space travel, seems to have no limits to his actual endurance and favors killing his enemies by driving both boots square into their skull. His agility is unmatched, and his strength legendary, able to fling about a turtle shell big enough to contain a man with enough force to barrel down a near endless path of unfortunates.

--The horror of Mario

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath. He is a terrible person and a hack at writing and art. His cultural contributions are less than Justin Bieber's, and he's a shitmuffin. Go go gadget Googlebomb!
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

Murlynd, Gunslinging Cowboy Paladin of Heironeous
LG Male Human Paladin 1/Wizard 1/Eldritch Knight 10
Hit Points: 77
Initiative: +4
Speed: 40 feet
Armor Class: 25 (+4 armor, +4 dexterity, +2 Shield, +2 natural armor [half normal], +3 deflection) touch 17 flat-footed 19
Attacks: Magic Colt Revolvers +20/+20 (2d6+4, +12 within 60 feet, x3), Magic Battleaxe +17 (1d8+5+6d6 Arcane Strike); Full Attack Magic Colt Revolvers +20/+20/+20/+18/+18/+18; when not within melee range, Murlynd often goes “all-out” with Blitz, adding +12 to his damage. If he’s within 60 feet on an opponent, he deals another +12 damage!
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+13

Abilities: Str 12 Dex 18 Con 14 Int 18 (22 with Bandanna) Wis 14 Cha 16
Saves: Fort +11 Ref +7 Will +12
Skills (113 points): Concentration 10 (+12), Diplomacy 8 (+11), Handle Animal 4 (+7), Heal 6 (+8), Intimidate 8 (+11), Jump 6 (+7/+23), Knowledge (Arcana, Architecture, the Planes) 6 (+10/+12), Listen 8 (+10), Ride 10 (+14), Sense Motive 8 (+10), Sleight of Hand 4 (+8), Spellcraft 10 (+14/+16), Spot 8 (+10), Survival 5 (+7); Murlynd gets Sleight of Hand as a class skill because his background's a rough, tough, gunslingin' dispenser of justice.
Feats: Blind Fighting, Blitz, Hunter, Improved Familiar (B), Mounted Combat (B), Point Blank Shot, Scribe Scroll (B), Sniper (B), Still Spell, Two-Weapon Fighting (B, +3 AoOs), Zen Archery

Class Features: Paladin: Aura of Good, Code of Conduct, Spells, Turn Undead (+3 bonus, 6/day); Wizard: Spells, Familiar; Eldritch Knight: Improved Familiar, Martial Focus, Somatic Skill, Arcane Strike, Channel Spell, Enduring Spell (triple duration), Stilled Casting, Sudden Quicken, Martial Mage
Paladin Spells Per Day (2): 0: all spells on list
Wizard Spells Prepared (4/6/6/5/4/2/1, Save DC is 16 + spell level): 0: Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Resistance; 1st:, Endure Elements, Expeditious Retreat, Identify, Mount, Targeting Ray (SpC), Wall of Smoke (SpC); 2nd: Darkness, Ghoul Touch x2, Protection from Arrows, Touch of Idiocy, Whispering Wind; 3rd: Dispel Magic, Displacement, Explosive Runes, Haste, Phantom Steed; 4th: Minor Creation, Rainbow Pattern, Stone Shape, Stoneskin; 5th: Fabricate, Major Creation; 6th: Wall of Gears (SpC)

Equipment: Stetson Hat of Protection (+3 deflection bonus), Spurs of Striding and Springing (+12 Jump Bonus), Chaps of Natural Armor (+4 natural armor bonus), Bandanna of Intellect (+4 enhancement bonus), Wand of Rust Ray (SpC, 36 charges), Wand of Repair Serious Damage (SpC, 29 charges), 2 Magic Colt Revolvers (+4 enhancement bonus, ghost touch and dispelling qualities, DC 19), Magic Battleaxe (Martial Focus, +4 enhancement bonus), Duster of Armor (+4 enhancement bonus), Schema of Fantastic Machine (SpC, Schema’s in Magic of Eberron: as scroll, but can be used 1/day)
The Edge: Murlynd has the Edge against any opponent who cannot use spells or spell-like abilities.

SpC is short for Spell Compendium.

Some cool western music. Play it when the PCs meet him.

It was high noon. The hot summer sun beat down upon the two figures standing in the town square. The streets of the village stood empty. Peasant children peeked out of their hovels to witness the stand-off.

The sheriff, clad in black plate armor reminiscent of the Knights of Hextor, stood 20 feet opposite his opponent. "The Scourge of Battle grants me power!" he shouted, "The likes of which are unrivaled among your order! And you have no armor to wear to war! Such a disgrace!"

His opponent, wearing no protection apart from a desert duster, pushed back the folds of his coat. The metal hilt of what appeared to be a hand crossbow hung on his belt. "Six shots," he intoned. "That's all I need to defeat you."

"No arrows nor bolts can pierce the Scouge's Shield!" the Hextorite exclaimed. "I know that Paladins cannot smite with bows and crossbows; you have made a great mistake in sacrificing the sword for this duel! And for that mistake, you die!" The Cleric drew his mace and charged.

The Paladin withdrew the weapons from his holsters in one quick motion and fired. A sound, not unlike the peal of thunder, rang out through the village square. Six shots, faster than the eye can see, pierced the cleric's armor.

The bullets hit the Cleric with such force that he fell backwards onto the ground. He did not get up.

"What are you?!" he shouted. "No Paladin uses such infernal contraptions!"

"The weapon is not important," the Paladin said. "It's the man wielding it. And you, a Hextorite of all people, should know that."

The Paladin shot his downed opponent through the helmeted visor. Without any hint of regret, he turned around and walked out of town with his back to the midday sun. In six hours he would be at another village across the Great Kingdom's border, this one under the thrall of an orc warlord. The orc won't agree to simple combat like the Hextorite, Murlynd thought. The scions of Gruumsh have no qualms about fighitng dirty. Heironeous never said that the path of justice was an easy one.

Now that is one kickass gish! Native to the World of Greyhawk, Murlynd is a Paladin/Wizard who was transported to the Wild West. He became entranced with our world's technology and sought to bring its ingenious inventions back to Oerth. He hasn't been entirely successful, but he's managed to create some cool techno-magic spells and items!

New Weapon: Colt .45 Revolver
Exotic, 2d6 damage, x3 critical, 40 foot range increment, piercing damage, 3 lbs. A Colt Revolver can be fired six times before it needs to be reloaded. It takes a full-round action to reload. A character with Two-Weapon Fighting can hold one revolver in each hand.
Last edited by Libertad on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:20 am, edited 11 times in total.
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

I sort of prefer this one, courtesy of Bastion: The Slingers. Still a pretty damn fun write-up, Libertad.
Last edited by Maxus on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
He jumps like a damned dragoon, and charges into battle fighting rather insane monsters with little more than his bare hands and rather nasty spell effects conjured up solely through knowledge and the local plantlife. He unerringly knows where his goal lies, he breathes underwater and is untroubled by space travel, seems to have no limits to his actual endurance and favors killing his enemies by driving both boots square into their skull. His agility is unmatched, and his strength legendary, able to fling about a turtle shell big enough to contain a man with enough force to barrel down a near endless path of unfortunates.

--The horror of Mario

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath. He is a terrible person and a hack at writing and art. His cultural contributions are less than Justin Bieber's, and he's a shitmuffin. Go go gadget Googlebomb!
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

Maxus wrote:I sort of prefer this one, courtesy of Bastion: The Slingers. Still a pretty damn fun write-up, Libertad.
That too is a pretty good theme.

Murlynd was a quasi-deity in the World of Greyhawk, multi-classed out the whazoo (level 30+ Paladin/Magic User/Illusionist). I consolidated it down to 12 levels.

Fun fact: Murlynd's damage output is when he full attacks. Assuming all six shots hit a single opponent, he's doing an average of 66 damage (average of 12d6 is 42, + 4 damage x 6=24). If he uses Point Blank Shot or Blitz, that figure rises to 138. If both feats are used together, it goes up to 210 points.
Last edited by Libertad on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

Eclavdra, just lounging around... or is that what she wants you to think?

Eclavdra, Favored High Priestess of Lolth
CE Female Drow Cleric 11/Defiler of Temples 5
Hit Points: 116
Initiative: +4
Speed: 30 feet
Armor Class: 34 (+10 armor, +6 dexterity, +8 shield) touch 16 flat-footed 20
Attacks: Magic Morningstar +26 (1d8+10+2d6 unholy, x2, DC 20 save or die against undead); Full Attack Magic Morningstar +26/+19/+19; Eclavdra ignores deflection bonuses to armor class, and usually Power Attacks on a -10 attack/+20 damage basis.
Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+13

Abilities: Str 14 Dex 18 (24 with Gloves) Con 16 Int 18 Wis 18 (24 with Girdle) Cha 14
Saves: Fort +11 Ref +8[+11 with Gloves) Will +15 (+18 with Girdle) (+17/+17/+24 with Necklace)
Skills (124 points): Bluff 14 (+19), Diplomacy 10 (+12), Disguise 10 (+12), Disable Device 8 (+12), Escape Artist 10 (+14/+17), Gather Information 8 (+10), Hide 10 (+17/+20), Intimidate 8 (+10), Knowledge (Religion) 9 (+13), Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 4 (+8), Move Silently 13 (+17/+35), Sleight of Hand 10 (+14/+17), Spellcraft 10 (+14)
Feats: Combat School (Clubs, Maces, and Morningstars, DC 20), Con Artist, Insightful Strike, Mage Slayer (SR 21), Stealthy, Zen Archery
Class Features: Cleric: Spells, Rebuke/Command Undead (+2 bonus, 5/day); Defiler of Temples: Find Traps, Avoid Divine Wrath, Unreproachable Alignment, Divine Spell Resistance (SR 31), Desecrate, Stolen Power (Force domain, SpC), Mindblank
Spells Prepared (Destruction, Luck, and Trickery domains, prepares spells while wearing the Girdle, 6/7/7/7/5/5/4/4/2, Save DC is 17 + spell level): 0: Create Water, Detect Magic, Detect Poison x2, Read Magic, Resistance; 1st: Bane, Deathknell, Deathwatch, Disguise Self (B), Divine Favor, Doom, Entropic Shield, Protection From Good, Sanctuary; 2nd: Enthrall, Hold Person, Invisibility (B), Restoration, Lesser, Silence, Status, Undetectable Alignment; 3rd: Animate Dead, Bestow Curse, Blindness, Dispel Magic, Glyph of Warding, Invisibility Purge, Nondetection (B), Protection From Energy; 4th: Discern Lies, Divine Power, Giant Vermin, Resilient Sphere (B), Restoration, Sending; 5th: Dispel Good, False Vision (B), Scrying, Righteous Might, Slay Living, True Seeing; 6th: Forbiddance, Harm, Quest, Repulsion (B), Word of Recall; 7th: Blasphemy, Destruction, Forcecage (B), Scrying, Greater, Symbol of Stunning; 8th: Earthquake, Telekinetic Sphere (B), Symbol of Insanity

Equipment: Magic Morningstar (+6 enhancement bonus, adamantine, disruption, and unholy qualities [DC 20]), Magic Spiderweb Clothing (+6 enhancement bonus, +10 total bonus, moderate fortification quality, all but last Move Silently rank benefits), Magic Steel Shield (+6 enhancement bonus, arrow deflection quality), Ring of Protection (+4 deflection bonus)*, Gloves of Dexterity (+6 enhancement bonus), Girdle of Wisdom (+6 enhancement bonus), Piwafwi (as Cloak of Elvenkind +16 Hide, provides Fire Resistance 16)*, Boots of Elvenkind (+16 Move Silently), Necklace of Resistance (+6 enhancement bonus), Wand of Cure Critical Wounds (20 charges), Holy Symbol of Lolth, Metamagic Rod of Extend (6th level or lower).
*: Eclavdra still wears these items, but doesn't have them activated because they'd exceed the Eight Item Limit. Sometimes she'll activate certain items depending on the situation. For example, she might de-activate her morningstar and shield against a ranged combatant and use the Ring and Piwafwi.
The Edge: Eclavdra has the Edge against any opponent with a lower dexterity and wisdom scores than her own wisdom (24).

Once again, SpC is short for Spell Compendium. The Force domain is granted by the Elder Elemental Eye, an aspect of Tharizdun.

Eclavdra is one smooth operator. She lied, blackmailed, and murdered her way to the top of the Vault of the Drow, manipulated the giants into invading the surface country of Geoff, and even tricked a god of madness into granting her clerical powers! All of her achievements helped her win a spot as Lolth's right hand.

Eclavdra's skilled in magic which relies on misdirection and force-related effects, as well as buffing and debuffing allies and enemies. She's also a great melee combatant, despite what her slight, unarmored frame might suggest.

I took inspiration from this statblock as well as the one in the Epic Level Handbook.

Eclavdra may not be Epic Level, and have a lower CR than a Marilith, but she's still well-prepared to be the Spider Queen's emissary. Spell Resistance, constant personal mind blank and nondetection, plus immunity to webs and natural poisons mean that a lot of the Drow's most coveted techniques aren't going to work on her.
Last edited by Libertad on Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:41 am, edited 13 times in total.
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

I edited the Murlynd entry to expand upon the Colt Revolver rules. I think that reloading it as a full-round action is fair (same for heavy crossbows). What do you guys think?

One more concern: the Pwiwafi is traditionally a magic Drow Cloak which grants fire resistance and Hide bonuses. Since it's granting two scaling bonuses, shouldn't it count as two items for the purposes of the Eight Item Limit in the Book of Gears?

Coming soon: a build of King Boranel ir'Wynarn, Eberron's most famous adventurer-king!
Last edited by Libertad on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.