General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

shadzar
Prince

5e isnt even D&D....

Post by shadzar »

D&D The One-Hour Game
http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx ... l/20120319
Replaying the 1981 Basic Set recently has been eye opening. Even including the rules I've added to the game, character creation took somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes. In about 45 minutes of play, we created an entire party of adventurers (dwarf fighter, human magic-user, halfling thief), kicked off an adventure with the characters just outside of a ruined keep, and explored six different rooms in a small dungeon. That exploration included two battles with goblins and hobgoblins. We played at a fairly relaxed pace. There was plenty of roleplaying between the characters and frequent questions on the rules as the players navigated both basic D&D and my house rules.

In my mind, D&D must absolutely support this type of play. By no means should it be the only way to play D&D, but it must be an enjoyable way to play the game that doesn't come across as a crippled or incomplete experience.You should be able to play a complete adventure in an hour.
if you threw out your additions, you might have even got MORE done with Basic.

why does this sound like the heralding of tournament play? 60 minute rounds are there for MtG and their ilk...condensing the game down to play in an hour isnt a bad thing, and basic should run quickly... but with WotC...i smell store focus here not game focus. something isnt just sitting right somehow with what this might mean, and i really feel it will be to get people into a store, try some D&D, and back out and another group without having to take up ALL the store space like past Game Days could do. Maybe even a hour type of thing. sure good to get people into it, but recapturing those lost this wont work for, only try to get new people in which is what the returning or continuing players are best served for else the 3.x crap begins again where novices have no idea what they are doing and spread that incorrect ideal of playing even further to once again create a new 4th edition.

also with todays tech it doesnt even really make sense to play for JUST an hour outside of a store or library or something. you have to drive 30~45 minutes both ways for a game, and travel time is more than play time? stay home put in LotR and just get your fantasy fix that way since the cost of gas will outweigh any benefit form playing for an hour only.
The DM needs rules that can allow for adventures with as many fights as needed, from a single big brawl to a number of shorter fights. I'd like to see an adventure design system that gives me a suggested total XP value for monsters and traps to use so that I can push the characters to the limit of their abilities. I can then spend that XP for one battle, lots of little battles, or just sprinkle monsters in an environment as I choose.
4th edition encounter budget crap? kiss my ass. published adventures are pretty much going to such for 5th. i might be able to stomach XP per module or something where it is gained at the end of a published adventure, but that ENCOUNTER BUDGET crap is just crap. illogical groups of monsters that appear again with minions to pad seats in the monster party makeup....
By focusing on an adventure—or a play session, depending on how you approach things—we can build a system that is more flexible and better matches the different styles that DMs bring to the table.
ever heard of overarching story lines Mike?

Basic built the game in those various editions (which version is Mike using again?) from a ramshackle miniature wargame. it was fast to play because it didnt include much...depending on which version of "basic" you played.

the modules were ALL meant to be one-shots that COULD tie together later, but still people would make their own longer adventures.

also you have the problem of people running one-shots and burning through every class/race/whatever combo with hour-long games/sessions/adventures and run out of thing to play that interest them as oft gamers are to do by getting bored with the same thing.

NEVER set a time-limit to something like an adventure because you will ALWAYS fail, as plenty of people will destroy that time-limit either going over or under by large margins.
It's much easier to create a game that supports a one-hour session, and then use that to build out to two-hour, four-hour, or day-long gaming.
sure if you can finish a game of Cataan in an hour and want to play again, this works, but D&D isnt a fucking board game that people want to have another round of. people will not want to sit down for 1-hour blocks for all day gaming, they want something continuous.

you are WAY oversimplifying the concept of just making the core simple enough to allow groups to do things within THEIR time frames.

so if ALL of this of for the "core" with a few additional house rules, that will become "core" when released...what happens as more Rules Modules are added to your hour long sessions?

do your characters still take only 5~10 minutes to create a party?
Road to Hell wrote:I am paved with your good intentions Mike Mearls.
the article REALLY said nothing. they played an hour worth of TSR Basic D&D w/ Mearls houserules, and got some gaming in in that hour. all-in all just stating again a goal was for quicker play with less hassle while trying to play. 3.x Troll Grappling anyone?

So Mike is saying the work Monte did on 3rd was a failure because it was all too sluggish and the whole game suffered from rules bloat? People have been telling WotC that for nearly 12 years Mike!

pulled from the vaporware thread that has become a "Something Awful forum is just a bunch of trolls" thread, to hopefully continue actually discussing 5e.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
sake
Knight

Post by sake »

I wish they'd finally realize that this quick, casual family friendly D&D game ideal they really seem to want would work far better and sell better as a Heroscape/Decent Lite style board game.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Wasn't Heroscape discontinued for not being profitable? Granted, I absolutely adore that game and wish it still was in production, so I wouldn't have to hope I find it in thrifts or get desperate for the 100% markups on E-Bay (minimum, 300% for the lava).
Last edited by virgil on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

HeroScape, DDM, Dreamblade, Chainmail....all miniature based games were discontinued. look at the Latter A used as a marker for LoW, and look at the discs as some strange player marker. they jsut want cheap simple things like Cataan now for board games that are CHEAP to design, basically putting PEter LEe out of work, even though he still works there.
sake wrote:I wish they'd finally realize that this quick, casual family friendly D&D game ideal they really seem to want would work far better and sell better as a Heroscape/Decent Lite style board game.
it does seem like the idea is to make it to include into HASBRO's Family Game Night line of products to try to make it easily purchased...but not all families have interest in the type of game D&D is, hell some wouldnt want to play Cataan.

they need to go back to understand the TTRPG isnt for everyone and stop trying to make it FOR everyone. accept it for what it is.

the board game dept is the one making crap like Lords of Waterdeep, so let them make that family game night crap.

i really wouldnt want to play D&D with my mother or father at any point of my life.
Last edited by shadzar on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Heroscape was fun but I always got tired of being Zargon every time, just because no one else could multitask all the little monsters.

I would do the Mumm-Ra voice when narrating.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

sigma999 wrote:I would do the Mumm-Ra voice when narrating.
Like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1up-MDsEeI
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

sigma999 wrote:Heroscape was fun but I always got tired of being Zargon every time, just because no one else could multitask all the little monsters.
you are thinking of HeroQuest, the 1989/1990 released board game that the Robin Laws chick stole the name for in 2003 when she switched the game from HeroWars.

HeroScape was the game that came out sometime after Mage Knight and had 3D type of board you built from the Lego made from hexes.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Right! Thank you. HeroQuest, with the Conan clone on the front.

I haven't played it for years so I forgot the exact name.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, HeroQuest. And it's not Zargon, it's Morcar. You dirty colonial >:(
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

But everything is more fun in Spanish!
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

It sounds like with what they want with all of this variable complexity is just to return to the red box/blue box/...whatever box setup and just call it a day.

I really don't see how they're going to mix different styles at the same table. I'm sure in the example of the 45 minute game with two combats that there was nothing fancy going on. There was probably no difficult terrain in the room. Probably no one tried to charm a goblin or cast an illusion to confuse them or use stealth to kill them.

What's going to happen at the table when the DM sits down for a rules-lite adventure with three combats an hour when the complex wizard starts casting battlefield control spells all over the (non-existent!) board while the complex fighter starts chain tripping goblins?

sigma999 wrote:Right! Thank you. HeroQuest, with the Conan clone on the front.

I haven't played it for years so I forgot the exact name.
I love that game. I have it and WarhammerQuest sitting, collecting dust. It's a really fun beer-and-pretzels game.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Koumei wrote:And it's not Zargon, it's Morcar. You dirty colonial >:(
I had to Google that. I don't know what that mess is.

Also, my friends and I played that game so much that the faces on those wooden dice have almost worn away, and I repainted them back on.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

RobbyPants wrote:I really don't see how they're going to mix different styles at the same table.
they aren't that is the problem.

BECMI worked because different people used different things, maybe all of E,, or some of C and M...but everyone was using those same parts.. just like 1st, 2nd, etc...

if someone just wants to play the red books, then adding gold or black isnt going to make them want to play more of give the feel of the game they want...

3 rules....
http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx ... 3/20120320
The classic nine alignments are planned to be the default alignment assumptions

However, we want alignment to be a tool, not a straightjacket, so the execution of those mechanics should serve that goal, and really only apply when dealing with the powerful, elemental forces of alignments, not someone who just behaves a certain way. Additionally, I believe we'll also want it to be easy for a DM to strip those mechanics out of his or her campaign, if the DM so chooses.
WRONG WRONG FUCKING WRONG!

there is NO way to define Lawful Good, so jsut fucking STOP. see my thread in IMOI to see how to do alignment right. you cannot define these these as the are mutually exclusive. Law doesnt give a shit if you are good or evil. they arent opposing forces, nor are they connected forces.

STOP trying to create a grid just because you have two axis, when they dont actually have a cause and effect related to each access. their only relation would be that both are parts of alignment. you could add a 3rd part but that doesnt mean you would them map it in 3D. sure you can express easily with the X/Y axis grid, so you can track with graph paper, but each it still its own number line.

Batman is for the most part Chaotic AND Good...NOT Chaotic Good, because you cant define such. you CAN define Chaos, you CAN define Good, you CAN define, evil, you CAN define Law. you cannot define the 9 alignments.

:bash:

alignment NEVER was a straightjacket, but the 9 boxes that cannot be defined WERE. and alignment has ALWAYS been easy to just remove.

Anti-paladin was a creation in a netbook someone made in the late 80's early 90s. Lawful Evil paladin. an Unholy Warrior... people played them with NO problem, just the same as playing an evil cleric.

likewise alignment meant little on Krynn when the gods had left the world. seemed to work for MANY people. the SAGA system is what was refined for Star Wars, then made into 4th... as a system it works...as a D&D game not so much for many people, but it is a sound system.

alignment should exist within the "core" world to be able to define it, but that "core world" need not be one that is EVER played. it is the dictionary world, the one that has all the descriptions, and every game is an alternate reality when people actually start playing what is in the books.

more false claims about what happened int he past or how it worked, because of small minded people. even if they are going form anecdotal evidence from a LARGE group of people that did it worng by their own, or because of bad DMs.
The important thing about class mechanics is not simply that they be different, but that the mechanics of a class produce the best and most iconic experience of playing that class. It's OK to re-use mechanics between classes; for example, our current vision for both the fighter and the rogue includes access to a system of combat maneuvers. Clerics and paladins both should have access to divine spells. That's something the classes need to have because they are different; it's not a choice made simply so that they would be different.
i still dont see why a Bilbo Baggins class is needed? a thieves guild could easily have, and you get better fiction when it does, wizards and clerics. everyone else is just a garden variety thief like the before mentioned Conan-clones. being a thief isnt about giving up all other aspects to focus on stealing. many here even call the game "murdering hobo" because "you kill things and take its shit", ergo murdering thief.

what else does a "rogue" class do that a fighter doesnt? allows the Bard class to exist? sorry, bard is a stupid class in the first place that doesnt belong. the minstrels were henchmen and hirelings, let them go the fuck back their to be underlings. this is why bard were never liked by MANY people, because they already did that non-magical magical healing surge shit that 4th culminated in a rule for all.

OD&D had the classes best still:
fighting man
magic user
priest

non-magic, arcane magic, divine magic. this is really all there is to classes, anything else is just those "combat maneuvers". how do you differentiate one fighter from the next.. the player chooses CQC, ranged, both. some may be more interested in stealing things, while others just want to beat the crap out of things.

these are ALL still fighters, not thieves, rangers, barbarians.

the same is said for magic users of both types.

the problem is these "something the classes have because they are different" doesnt really make a new class. dump it into a pile of abilities ANY class can use and let the players make their own modified classes.

like WPs/NWPs/feats/skills, but not so much. again see character points in 2.5 and the basic concept of class abilities and see which shouldnt be things to define a single class, but something ALL should be able to do, and dump them into a general pile for people to select.

FUCK IT! put CPs into the core game. even let people buy CPs for XP, because really that is what XP if for, and get rid of the idea of levels. you buy your abilities based on the XP cost of them and that is how you advance in power, not on some number scale.

hmmm. that might be an idea i actually like that differs from even TSR-D&D. :confused: all a new level is afterall is some extra HP, and more class abilities in ALL the versions. :confused: (time for me to start over again with my modified 2e and rewrite it to be level-less.)
souran
Duke

Post by souran »

wow, just wow.

Shadzar throws these fits and they are are like just these random collections of thoughts (usually bad) that reveal him to be the king of the grognards.

Shad did you just stop thinking in 1999?
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

souran wrote:wow, just wow.

Shadzar throws these fits and they are are like just these random collections of thoughts (usually bad) that reveal him to be the king of the grognards.

Shad did you just stop thinking in 1999?
no i AM able to think, which is why i didnt adapt to the WotC thinks for me crowd in 2000. again i play 2nd because of the books legibility, 1st and 3.x are equally useless to me in that department.

if 1st was cleaned up and organized without being 2nd, i would likely still be playing 1st and BD&D.

remember it was Gary in 1st that said to the effect:
the trick is not letting them [our customers, the DMs and players] know that they dont need us [or our products] to be able to play.
EVERY game is in and of itself a Fantasy Heartbreaker, because, and as the game was intended; EACH group makes it their own. i dont need to follow Ryan Dancey, Lisa Stevens, Mike Mearls, Jonathan Tweet, Erik Mona, Frank Mentzer, Ed Greenwood, Rich Baker, etc.. in order to continue playing, because i AM just as capable as them to make the game work. I only lack legal ground to print and sell my own version of D&D..which some of the proprietary names i would want to use.
sake
Knight

Post by sake »

Wait... you can't see a difference between the warrior and rogue archetypes, but you can see a difference between a guy in a dress who's hands are glowing yellow and/or blackish purple and a guy in a dress who's hands are glowing red, blue, or slightly blueish purple?
Last edited by sake on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

yes you can collapse arcane and divine into just magic, but most people would prefer them separate. the others, just take magic as a gamist thing and doesnt matter where it comes from.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Drawing Stick Figures
http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx ... e/20120321

first Tramp asked TSR, WotC, and the fans to leave him alone, so leave him the fuck alone. i know you want to compare a loved piece of artwork, but for the most part people have respected his wishes and dont discuss it much online, and WotC hasnt ever put up shit about his art. makes no sense with how many pieces of art there are to grab a piece of Tramps.
Similar composition—though Wayne has pulled out a bit more.

Different mediums—black and white inks vs. full color acrylic modeling paints.
OOOH! now it makes sense. you just wanted to fuck with Tramp. as an art director you should know the medium changes the composition and even WHAT can be done. lets also not forget that 1e books were in black and white with old printing technology. im sure this is a scan form the book and you dont have the original sitting and laying around. and Reynolds has probably never seen the light of day outside of the computer after it was scanned in, and retouched (ColorCorrect) by WotC. so you wanted to shit on Tramp, shit on early art styles, but saying the advance of technology was better, and try to place Reynolds on a pedestal because he used different tools.
If I put aside my personal biases about each image, I can easily come to the point where I recognize that both images are obviously fantasy in nature.
maybe you should have done that PRIOR to writing the article? prior to comparing the pieces as "same" and you wouldnt have had the insult in there for composition.
In fact, I can probably even agree that both are representative of the D&D experience.
only because you play with stupid shit like tieflings as a PC race, to those who think that stupid it doesnt look a thing like "the D&D experience".
So, what I'm getting at is this: Each of us has a personal preference about the specific art styles that we enjoy, right? Each us comes to D&D for different reasons, each of us love something different about the art, and each of us also uses the art in different ways.
you neglect again that each prefer something different form the game, and when art depicts something people dont have interest in, its value goes the opposite direction. the tiefling art says to me, "put this down and walk away", not "pick this up and play it"...assuming say it was cover art for a rulebook, module, etc; because tiefligns arent something that can be a PC.
This can happen only if we can put aside our own personal visions for the future of D&D for a few minutes and look at the future with open eyes and an open mind.
sure you can have an open mind, but looking at the tiefling PC it is a good piece of art, but NOT a depiction on D&D because MONSTERS ARENT NORMALLY PCs.

do you realize why people didnt use player's options? one part was the stupid races introduced.

that picture would be good for an OPTIONAL book including other races as PC, but NOT the CORE game.

D&D should go back to leading and have a defined theme and its art needs to support that. Medieval Fantasy was its theme before WotC got its hands on it and turned it into Generic Fantasy RPG. sure other things could be added, but they were OPTIONAL, not forced into core to have to deal with more of this:

But its in the PHB, why can't i use it since it is "standard"/"core"?

this applies to bards, psionics, and PC races. look back at 4th and the shitstorm WotC walked open mouth into with the gnome not being a PC race?

you make the art that is asked for. if you are asked for B&W for a B&W book, you give B&W. if you are asked for full color with digital touch-up because that tech exists now, then you give that. it doesnt make one better than the other in a vacuum that doesnt see the tech at the time having limits that another time doesnt.

2030: Hey look how crappy Wayne's 2D art is compared to our 3D holographic books that show an animated scene where they actually open the chest and look in and i can turn it around to every angle to see what they are seeing in the chest.

this fucker really needs to stop thinking and do his job of making pretty pictures he is told to make.
In fact, we requested that Wayne Reynolds pay homage to David A. Trampier's piece from the original 1st Edition Monster Manual.
you should have had Wayne use the same races at least, then MAYBE i would have taken your words in the article more seriously. cause if Wayne cant draw a human, halfling, and dwarf.. then he shouldnt even be doing artwork for a game that includes them.
Last edited by shadzar on Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

In the early days of 3.0 my favorite DM (from back in AD&D days too) and the rest of the group got tired of the arcane/divine distinction so we just made a Mage class and you picked something like 2 schools of magic to cast at will.
We split the Cleric spell list into 3 divisions (healing, buffs, and summoning), and the Druid into 3 (plant, animal, and elemental)

The classical elements were also available. I chose Transmutation and Fire for my half-devil Mage.

It worked, up until the mid levels, but campaigns were restarted anyway so it didn't matter.
Mages didn't get that many spell slots.

So, at least for that group and those sessions, there was no difference between divine and arcane. Just magic or not magic, and the not magic people could pick up a few spells anyway.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

sigma999 wrote:So, at least for that group and those sessions, there was no difference between divine and arcane. Just magic or not magic, and the not magic people could pick up a few spells anyway.
oh yes, it can work as just:

magic users
non-magic-users

and i have said as such.. just the feel for many would prefer it to be there. the distinction wasnt in the class itself for that but in the mechanics.

*wizard must memorize spells
*cleric can cast anything until they run out

it allows for the power from within and the power form without.

you could always change it to be a single caster class, but its good to start with the game letting them be different, because it is much easier to say ALL spells and casters work the same way, than to later split how they work...as you did.

its like the races i was just saying about tiefling.. people SHOULD have them as an option, but it doesnt mean they need to be an option form the start. keep the core simple and make sense. civilizations normally dont look at a demon or demon-looking creature as friendly and would either try to kill the "monster" (see Frankenstein), or run form it. so how does this tiefling do anything in towns of humans or others where a demon is seen as a "monster" or hideous creature?

likewise a culture based on religion with no wizard, how would they view a wizard doing things without the permission of a diety?

some things are easier to add, while others are easier to remove. new races, easy add them later and let people remove the stigma of a monster for their games to allow orcs, tieflings, etc be PCs. diffeerent sources of metaphysics/magic start with, and just remove the thin veil between them if you want to. then a wizard can act like a cleric via 3.x sorcerer and remove vancian, or the cleric now memorizes his spells. so magic = magic easily.
Last edited by shadzar on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sake
Knight

Post by sake »

shadzar wrote:
its like the races i was just saying about tiefling.. people SHOULD have them as an option, but it doesnt mean they need to be an option form the start. keep the core simple and make sense.
First off the 'This race are only ever Monsters, and this race are only ever PCs' crap is dead... Seriously, any current gen fantasy rpg needs to designed around the fact that some of your potential customers are going to want to be orcs, some are going to want to be a beast person/thing, some are going to want to be half dragon/devil/angel/vampire/*insert race here* type people, and some creepy fucks are going to want to be a monogendered race of pastel haired midgets that eternally look 10 years old.

Adding the tiefling in the core book costs you maybe two pages and help ensures the weirdos who love that race buy your book at release instead of waiting months for you to finally print the splat book that includes their favorite pet race. If it's been core once, you're just hurting your sells by not including it in core again, in some form or the other, we already got to see how WotC shot themselves in the foot by leaving the Barbarian/Druid/Bard/Gnome/HalfOrc out of the 4E PHB.
wotmaniac
Knight-Baron

Post by wotmaniac »

sake wrote:If it's been core once, you're just hurting your sells by not including it in core again, in some form or the other, we already got to see how WotC shot themselves in the foot by leaving the Barbarian/Druid/Bard/Gnome/HalfOrc out of the 4E PHB.
You're right .... to a point.
If you go throwing everything that has ever been Core in to the Core of the new edition, you'll eventually reach the point where your page count is going to cause your book to be prohibitively expensive.
Don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying that the extra page or 2 for tiefling is going to be a budget-buster; but we're already at the point that if we include everything that is "cool" right now and everything that the grognards demand, you're looking at 20+ races and as many classes .... where do you stop? At some point, you have to start cutting stuff to save for future releases. Your initial Core release simply can't include enough to make everybody happy.
*WARNING*: I say "fuck" a lot.
"The most patriotic thing you can do as an American is to become filthy, filthy rich."
- Mark Cuban

"Game design has no obligation to cater to people who don’t buy into the premise of the game"

TGD -- skirting the edges of dickfinity since 2003.

Public Service Announcement
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

shadzar wrote:you CAN define Chaos ... you CAN define Law.
Please do.
Giant Frog
NPC

Post by Giant Frog »

GIANTGIANT GIANTFROG FROGFROG GIANTFROGGIANTGIANT GIANTFROG GIANTFROGFROG