Demon the Fallen

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'm actually a bit confused as to how the virtues/vices thing is offensive. Maybe it's because I had forgotten nwod did it and was considering implimenting it. But moreover, don't a lot of the vices show up as societally disapproved traits in most cultures?

Second question, would it be less offensive if it were a more open ended "positive trait/negative trait" system that was just called virtue and vice for reasons of theme?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Prak_Anima wrote:I'm actually a bit confused as to how the virtues/vices thing is offensive. Maybe it's because I had forgotten nwod did it and was considering implimenting it. But moreover, don't a lot of the vices show up as societally disapproved traits in most cultures?

Second question, would it be less offensive if it were a more open ended "positive trait/negative trait" system that was just called virtue and vice for reasons of theme?
If it only used the words "virtue" and "vice", no one would care. Since it instead comes out with specifically the virtues and vices from the Catholic Catechism and then tells you that no matter what culture you are actually from or what beliefs you have, you nonetheless have to conform to Catholic moral thought, that is instead deeply offensive.

If you were allowed to select virtues like honesty or productivity I doubt anyone would have a problem with it. But you can't. Because honesty is not a Christian virtue, so you can't select it. Justice is sort of closeish, but it's not the same thing. You also can't have your virtue be Pride, because Pride is a sin. And don't let Malcolm X or Aristotle tell you different!
New World of Darkness, p. 100 wrote:The seven Virtues and Vices detailed below are ostensibly drawn from Western, Judeo-Christian beliefs (e.g., the Seven Heavenly Virtues and Seven Deadly Sins), but it's important to note that nearly all cultures value these ethics and revile these sins.
-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

That's....actually really weird that honesty isn't a Catholic virtue. Though justice totally is, at least according to Wiki

The Seven Catholic Virtues
  • The Cardinal Virtues
  • Prudence
  • Justice
  • Restraint/Temperance
  • Courage/Fortitude
    The Theological Virtues
  • Faith
  • Hope
  • Love/Charity
[/pedantry]

There's probably some bullshit about how one of those seven includes honesty, or how it's so simple they don't think it needs to be included, just like how love and charity are somehow sorta the same thing. somehow.

But yeah, I agree they're way too narrow.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Catholic philosophers developed the doctrine of mental reservation specifically so that they could lie without technically lying, much like Obi-Wan with his certain point of view.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

In Christian teaching, "bearing false witness against your neighbor" is a commandment breach. That means that if you say falsehoods to or against other Christians, you are breaking one of God's laws. But you're not obligated to tell the truth to or about heathens and you're allowed to keep potentially important truths away from even other Christians if for some reason you want to. Straight up honesty and truth seeking are not particularly praiseworthy. Straight up book burning is biblically condoned (Acts 19).

It's really not a moral system I feel comfortable with having shoved on me in any context.

-Username17
John Magnum
Knight-Baron

Post by John Magnum »

Yes, Frank said that Justice is a virtue and that it's close-ish to Honesty, but if you're looking for a virtue that actually IS honesty you won't find it.
-JM
jadagul
Master

Post by jadagul »

FrankTrollman wrote:In Christian teaching, "bearing false witness against your neighbor" is a commandment breach. That means that if you say falsehoods to or against other Christians, you are breaking one of God's laws. But you're not obligated to tell the truth to or about heathens and you're allowed to keep potentially important truths away from even other Christians if for some reason you want to. Straight up honesty and truth seeking are not particularly praiseworthy. Straight up book burning is biblically condoned (Acts 19).

It's really not a moral system I feel comfortable with having shoved on me in any context.

-Username17
For what it's worth, when I was in Catholic religious education I never heard that interpretation; it's fine to mislead, I'm pretty sure, but they interpret the commandment to ban lying to anyone. Whether that's textually and historically accurate I have no idea.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Once you get into the commandments though, that's not a matter of the 7 Virtues and 7 Vices that were probably made up after the release of the first-edition ruleset texts the Bible was based upon. There are 613 of the fuckers. Yeah, forget "ten".
>Not to test the prophet unduly (does "unduly" cover the "Get three dudes together to ask me to appear and I shall" power?)
>To emulate His ways (how the fuck does this mesh with "Thou shalt not kill"?)
>Not to embarrass others (someone tell the fundamentalists this)
>Not to speak derogatorily of others (whoops!)
>Not to make human forms even for decorative purposes (gingerbread is heresy... that would make a great rock album)
>To burn a city that has turned to idol worship (and not to rebuild it. If football-worship counts, I have some great news for Australia.)
>Not to bow down on smooth stone (no really)
>Not to be superstitious (HAHAHA OH WOW)
>Not to mutter incantations (except prayer!)
>Men must not shave the hair off the sides of their head (SIDEBURNS OR HELL)
>Not to eat fruit of a tree during its first three years
>To examine the signs of locusts to distinguish between kosher and non-kosher (you can eat locusts, as long as they're kosher)
>Not to plant diverse seeds together
>To blow the Shofar on the tenth of Tishrei to free the slaves
>Not to climb steps to the altar (stairs are heresy)
>Not to vex a stranger (Tzor is fucking guilty)
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

"Pride" is a really bad translation. The original is much closer to "vainglory".

"Vexing" stranger means misleading them, not irritating them.

Here's a description of catholicism's position on lying:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09469a.htm

Nothing even suggests that lying to 'outsiders' is okay.
Last edited by fectin on Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

John Magnum wrote:Yes, Frank said that Justice is a virtue and that it's close-ish to Honesty, but if you're looking for a virtue that actually IS honesty you won't find it.
...wow, I even checked that while I was typing and I misread. I feel dumb.

Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Koumei wrote:>To blow the Shofar on the tenth of Tishrei to free the slaves
The Shofar is like a trumpet, it's not a person. It's made out of a ram's horn.
You left out a bunch of the good ones, like not wearing mixed fabrics, or that you have to kill all the Amalekites.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

jadagul wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:In Christian teaching, "bearing false witness against your neighbor" is a commandment breach. That means that if you say falsehoods to or against other Christians, you are breaking one of God's laws. But you're not obligated to tell the truth to or about heathens and you're allowed to keep potentially important truths away from even other Christians if for some reason you want to. Straight up honesty and truth seeking are not particularly praiseworthy. Straight up book burning is biblically condoned (Acts 19).

-Username17
For what it's worth, when I was in Catholic religious education I never heard that interpretation; it's fine to mislead, I'm pretty sure, but they interpret the commandment to ban lying to anyone. Whether that's textually and historically accurate I have no idea.
The problem though is that words get parsed extremely literally. I'm sure at some point that commandment was interpreted to literally mean *only* your neighbor.

I mean, they burned people because "the church abhors bloodshed", and burning people alive doesn't spill a drop of blood. And that's tossed aside in the name of Crusade. And up until the 1500's for the right price you could buy a dead person out of purgatory, and be indulged in just about any sin you could imagine, if the price was right.

Actually, having just read a bunch of history on that era, an RPG set in/among/around the first half of the 16th century would be incredibly interesting. For 20 years there was nearly constant war, if not between the principalities of Europe then with the Ottomans, lots of political intrigue going on with the Germanic Prince Electors, and that pesky (and amazingly bombastic and melodramatic) Martin Luther.

If not a straight historical RPG, a fantasy "fig leaf" setting would be kind of fun to play in. It's an unbelievably rich period of history.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Whatever wrote:
Koumei wrote:>To blow the Shofar on the tenth of Tishrei to free the slaves
The Shofar is like a trumpet, it's not a person. It's made out of a ram's horn.
You left out a bunch of the good ones, like not wearing mixed fabrics, or that you have to kill all the Amalekites.
Yeah are we talking Leviticus? That's where the evangelicals keep going for all their intolerance justifications, and that book has some whoppers in it.

- Women during their menstrual cycle are unclean and not allowed into the temple until 7 days after they have been cleansed by a priest.
-Men who touch women during their menstrual cycle are unclean and forbidden the temple until cleansed by a priest
- Men who touch things that women during their menstrual cycle have touched are unclean and forbidden the temple until cleansed by a priest.
- If a man has sex with a woman on her period, they are both to be "cut off from their people"
- People who have flat noses, or is blind or lame, cannot go to an altar of God
- Cross breeding of animals is forbidden
- Planting more than one crop is forbidden
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Fun as it is to go on about Christian/Jewish ethos, let's be fucking honest: originally Vampire: the Masquerade was riffing off of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, O'barr's The Crow, and the "punk-gothic-vampire" thing you see in films like The Lost Boys and Near Dark, and a good chunk of those books was a puberty-analogue as the characters came to terms with their new bodies, powers, etc. and realization that they could stay out as late as they want at night. It's adolescent rebellion fueled by "holy shit, powers" and the Humanity stat was just a marker to represent the whole slippery slope nonsense. It was also so silly and hamfisted that it was subverted and suborned pretty damn quickly with the different "paths" in the Sabbat book and clanbooks - which is where things start to go fish-shaped, because they were written by people that still think the Satanic Bible is cool and edgy. It didn't really get wiggy until Vampire: the Dark Ages with its different Roads - and then the revamp Dark Ages: Vampire gave actual stats and powers and shit tied into Road ratings, which is what basically served as a dry run for the bizarre crappola in Vampire: the Requiem.

You could argue that V:tM's whole Humanity stat owes its ultimate origin in D&D's alignment system, but let's be clear: its conception and development are more rooted in "hey, this is cool!" than any serious consideration of effects on gameplay or theology, Christian or otherwise.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

To be fair (while showing what putzes christians are) the two commandments of the new testament were really supposed to overwrite the ten of the old. Seriously. Jesus said "I give you two new commandments; love God, love your fellow human beings." Basically, he's saying "alright, you've grown up, so the old rules are out, these are the only ones you need to follow."

FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

Why you have any issue with warping the truth, if that (as is easily verified by Googling Acts 19, for starers) is what you're doing here, except in a more direct way?
Last edited by FatR on Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

FatR wrote:

Why you have any issue with warping the truth, if that (as is easily verified by Googling Acts 19, for starers) is what you're doing here, except in a more direct way?
I'm unclear on your point. Are you saying that the depiction of the burning of books in Acts 19 is not condoned? Or are you saying that it doesn't count because many translations put the burnt objects as "scrolls"?

-Username17
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Acts 19 wrote:A number who had practiced sorcery brought their scrolls together and burned them publicly. When they calculated the value of the scrolls, the total came to fifty thousand drachmas.[c]
With the footnote that a drachma is a day's wage in silver.

Keep in mind that sorcery is the ancient equivalent of a buzzword here, and just means "conflicts with Christian teachings." They got together and they burned a bunch of non-Christian religious and philosophical texts. That is what that is saying.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

DSMatticus wrote:
Acts 19 wrote:A number who had practiced sorcery brought their scrolls together and burned them publicly. When they calculated the value of the scrolls, the total came to fifty thousand drachmas.[c]

Keep in mind that sorcery is the ancient equivalent of a buzzword here, and just means "conflicts with Christian teachings." They got together and they burned a bunch of non-Christian religious and philosophical texts. That is what that is saying.
So they burned books scrolls to the value of something to the tune of 5,000 people's annual wages? Wow.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:I'm actually a bit confused as to how the virtues/vices thing is offensive. Maybe it's because I had forgotten nwod did it and was considering implimenting it. But moreover, don't a lot of the vices show up as societally disapproved traits in most cultures?

If it only used the words "virtue" and "vice", no one would care. Since it instead comes out with specifically the virtues and vices from the Catholic Catechism and then tells you that no matter what culture you are actually from or what beliefs you have, you nonetheless have to conform to Catholic moral thought, that is instead deeply offensive.

If you were allowed to select virtues like honesty or productivity I doubt anyone would have a problem with it. But you can't. Because honesty is not a Christian virtue, so you can't select it. Justice is sort of closeish, but it's not the same thing. You also can't have your virtue be Pride, because Pride is a sin. And don't let Malcolm X or Aristotle tell you different!
New World of Darkness, p. 100 wrote:The seven Virtues and Vices detailed below are ostensibly drawn from Western, Judeo-Christian beliefs (e.g., the Seven Heavenly Virtues and Seven Deadly Sins), but it's important to note that nearly all cultures value these ethics and revile these sins.
-Username17
As a non-Christian, and also pretty fucking far from being a whitewolf fanboy, I actually found that mechanic to be really nifty, interesting, thematically appropriate, and completely non-offensive.

*shrug*
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Mister_Sinister wrote:
DSMatticus wrote:

So they burned books scrolls to the value of something to the tune of 5,000 people's annual wages? Wow.
Wait, what... huh? Wouldn't that be closer to 100-200 people? Assuming you work every day, that's 365 drachma per year, and 50,000/365 = 137. Throw in some days off here and there, no more than double that.

Also, I'm not sure how expensive books and paper were back then, but given low literacy and difficulty of copying text it had to be expensive. It's hard to get an idea exactly how many books they burned there. I'm gonna guess it was measured in high hundreds, low thousands though. Not nearly as many books as we could burn with 100-200 people's annual wages today, which would measure in the hundreds of thousands.
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

FrankTrollman wrote:Telling people that everyone has to and does fit into the virtues and vices schema of the Catholic Church is offensive in a way that merely having Jesus be the literal son of god who is also god made flesh who died to convince himself to forgive you for a crime you didn't commit which he would otherwise feel compelled to punish you for eternally in his literally limitless mercy and justice would not be.
...That has to be the most succinctly awesome summary of my personal objections to Christianity that I've ever seen anywhere, to date. Reading that made my day brighter, thank you!

Also, sigged.
FrankTrollman wrote:We had a history and maps and fucking civilization, and there were countries and cities and kingdoms. But then the spell plague came and fucked up the landscape and now there are mountains where there didn't used to be and dragons with boobs and no one has the slightest idea of what's going on. And now there are like monsters everywhere and shit.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

DSMatticus wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:
DSMatticus wrote: With the footnote that a drachma is a day's wage in silver.

Wait, what... huh? Wouldn't that be closer to 100-200 people? Assuming you work every day, that's 365 drachma per year, and 50,000/365 = 137. Throw in some days off here and there, no more than double that.

Also, I'm not sure how expensive books and paper were back then, but given low literacy and difficulty of copying text it had to be expensive. It's hard to get an idea exactly how many books they burned there. I'm gonna guess it was measured in high hundreds, low thousands though. Not nearly as many books as we could burn with 100-200 people's annual wages today, which would measure in the hundreds of thousands.
I need to lern2count. Thanks for that.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

DSMatticus wrote:I'm gonna guess it was measured in high hundreds, low thousands though. Not nearly as many books as we could burn with 100-200 people's annual wages today, which would measure in the hundreds of thousands.
I think someone has to ask it: how many millions is that?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Ancient History wrote:Fun as it is to go on about Christian/Jewish ethos, let's be fucking honest: originally Vampire: the Masquerade was riffing off of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, O'barr's The Crow, and the "punk-gothic-vampire" thing you see in films like The Lost Boys and Near Dark, and a good chunk of those books was a puberty-analogue as the characters came to terms with their new bodies, powers, etc. and realization that they could stay out as late as they want at night. It's adolescent rebellion fueled by "holy shit, powers" and the Humanity stat was just a marker to represent the whole slippery slope nonsense. It was also so silly and hamfisted that it was subverted and suborned pretty damn quickly with the different "paths" in the Sabbat book and clanbooks - which is where things start to go fish-shaped, because they were written by people that still think the Satanic Bible is cool and edgy. It didn't really get wiggy until Vampire: the Dark Ages with its different Roads - and then the revamp Dark Ages: Vampire gave actual stats and powers and shit tied into Road ratings, which is what basically served as a dry run for the bizarre crappola in Vampire: the Requiem.

You could argue that V:tM's whole Humanity stat owes its ultimate origin in D&D's alignment system, but let's be clear: its conception and development are more rooted in "hey, this is cool!" than any serious consideration of effects on gameplay or theology, Christian or otherwise.
In theory humanity is a decently thematic kludge mechanically to stop PCs from becoming super power murderators (which is definitely in the theme of vampires), but probably could have been implemented better. The thing that kind of drove me nuts was spilling the morality meter across all the nWOD lines.

I had endless arguments with other players, for example, about killing other vampires and supernaturals. The general storyteller consensus was "fair game on supers", which I usually argued with, because it didn't make sense that being a brutal, sadistic fuck when it comes to other vampires doesn't put you in the habit of being a brutal, sadistic fuck with everyone else. The general argument back was "that means that vampires with humanity 8 can't even defend themselves against other vampires without degeneration rolls", which I thought was kind of the point: being a high humanity vampire means you're a pussy and you've more or less dropped out of vampiric society.
Last edited by TheFlatline on Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.