Kickstarter: New shadowrun video game

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

TheFlatline
Prince

Kickstarter: New shadowrun video game

Post by TheFlatline »

Apparently CGL doesn't have the license to Shadowrun video games, which I think we knew.

However, what's new is that the powers that be are cranking out a new android/apple/pc turn based shadowrun game, and they're waving around that they have Jordan Weisman on board.

I'm curious to be sure...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/161 ... un-returns
Last edited by TheFlatline on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

*points at shadowrun situation thread*
I pledged 150$.
If i thought i were any good with the level editor, i would have gone for the 250$ . .
Sadly, most people don't have that much money for stuff like this.
Right now, they allmost have 4000 backers. if every single one of them could have afforded to give 100$, they'd be at the 400k by now . .
There were actually two flithy rich people who backed with 10k EACH!
Last edited by Stahlseele on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Damn I missed that announcement. Oh well.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Doesn't matter. Had Thread! ^^

Also, if they get 425k, they are going to do a MAC compatible version too.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Since there won't be a hard copy of the game I just pledged $15.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Depends. If they get enough money, they might do an actual hardcopy too . .
Furthermore, it will be distributed via STEAM too.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

CGL actually never had the license. The license did this:

Also it's amazingly gratifying watching the money pile up on this motherfucker. I am so fucking stoked.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Juton
Duke

Re: DSFDS

Post by Juton »

ywalghg wrote:they're waving around that they Sacs A Main Longchamp Pas Cher have Jordan Weisman on board.
Wow, spam bots are evolving. That's kind of cool.
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Leress wrote:Since there won't be a hard copy of the game I just pledged $15.
The same for me. Besides, I needed to put some money down on Wasteland 2 and The Banner Saga as well.

EDIT: Now that folks are getting home and seeing things about it, they're already at 300k
Last edited by Lokathor on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Honestly, these are the same people who scaled back their Mech Warrior game to a free to play version of Tank Wars. Even that extremely modest offering is currently four months late (the in-game timer was supposed to start January 1st, 2012, and it is currently April 5th of that year with no game).

I don't know what they hope to accomplish with the kickstarter format. Smith and Tinker are listed on wikipedia as having 40 employees. A $300,000 cash infusion will maybe let them make payroll for a year. They can't put out any kind of product anyone would care about in a year. Mechwarrior Online has been in production for almost four years.

Aside from the deep weirdness of them announcing that they were going to have a distinct "mystic" world that Hermetics could interact with that was not the same as the "astral" world that Shamans can interact with, I just don't actually think this project has the earmarks of something that will move forward to something I care about.

-Username17
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

FrankTrollman wrote: I don't know what they hope to accomplish with the kickstarter format. Smith and Tinker are listed on wikipedia as having 40 employees. A $300,000 cash infusion will maybe let them make payroll for a year. They can't put out any kind of product anyone would care about in a year. Mechwarrior Online has been in production for almost four years.
They hit 300k in the first day or two for the game. There's 24 to go. Figure after the first 3-4 days contributions will slow down, trickle in, and the last week will be another huge drive, where you might up to double the money you had in the first surge.

I can *easily* see them raising 500-750k on this, especially if they play their cards right and work the kickstarter community properly. Plus, it's not S&T that is making the game, it's another company that looks, according to the video, to have 12-15 people, so even 400k is a significant amount of money to work with.

What can be learned already is that there's 7000 people out there willing to plunk down a significant amount of money on an idea that barely has any artwork to support it. There's hunger for a good Shadowrun game (and I will admit I chuckled when they threw fruit at the dude who made the FPS), and it's kind of telling that they went back to the 2050 time setting instead of SR4's time setting. We'll see if it feels dated and cliche and cheesy (assuming the game isn't rubbish).

Edit: It's also kind of nice that their first stretch, in addition to mac support, will be localized german support.
Last edited by TheFlatline on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I liked the shadowrun game on the Genesis

I've also played a tiny amount of the Sega CD Shadowrun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKzt8YU24OU
It looks damn stylish, never did figure out how to get to the fighting though.

The 360 shadowrun, never touched it, looked bad.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

@Frank: It's not Smith&Tinker, it's Harebrained Schemes LLC.
It sure looks like they're not going to exactly stick to canon. They cite the SNES RPG as one of their references. It wasn't exactly canon either, but it was still a pretty good game, so if we're lucky we might get something like this.
But I guess that as long as you're not involved there, you won't be able to get behind it.

@OgreBattle: The fighting was a pretty litteral adaptation from the SR rules. It was turned based with a top-down view of the location. You could move and do your two simple action or one complex action per IP, you could choose how to use your combat and spellcasting pools and you could even have the dice roll shown.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I think that the hope (and hence the name) is that if they can't get enough fan funding for about three to four years of development -- and I think that they definitely can do it as long as there are no major fuck-ups in the meantime -- that someone else will step in and pay for it to be completed after they show what they have done. I mean, as a game developer if a project that was projected to cost 2.5 million dollars over four years had two and a half years of work and 1.5 million dollars sunk into it, I'd consider it a bargain to only have to front 1 million dollars onto it to get the lion's share of the IP.

That said, I still think that this enterprise is risky to the point of being irresponsible. There's still no guarantee that anyone will decide to pick the project up at all. Or worse, a company like Atari or Capcom will pick up the whole thing and piss on everyone's hopes and dreams.

That said that said, the amount of money they raised in such a short period of time is a pretty auspicious start. Even if they're not able to raise enough money for the project on their lonesome during the timeline, I can see them getting pretty damn far.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

They're now at over 386'000 dollars.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

We get the game at 400k
Mac gamers get it at 425k
Probably stops at 424k ^^
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

$426,460 pledged of $400,000 goal
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Meaning Mac Users get the game too.
More money will mean a german localization at least.
More money might mean a better level editor too.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Well, they reference the SNES dialog system and the genesis game in general (which IIRC everyone enjoyed better anyway, as it was closer to the P&P game). They also referenced in the thank you video adding riggers, which would be nice.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yah, hopefully VEHICLE Riggers, NOT Drone Riggers . .
And yes, this is supposedly planned to be very close to the PnP . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Hmmm 551k now and they are talking about new things they will add to the game if they hit higher milestones.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

OK, so Mac is in, german, french and spanish version is in, riggers are in.
If we manage to get 1 Million, we get a second setting in addition to seattle, an improved editor and kick ass music . .
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/161 ... sts/202725

Multiplayer is out. No PvP, no Co-Op. Also, no Linux Version.
Which i don't really understand, seeing how android is a kind of Linux . .
Last edited by Stahlseele on Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

Multiplayer is out. No PvP, no Co-Op. Also, no Linux Version.
Fail. Co-Op is really the one thing I was wanting most out of the extras they mentioned.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Well, i can kinda understand them wanting to focus on single player, seeing how a shadowrun MMO is in the making too . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

The Vigilante
Master

Post by The Vigilante »

Stahlseele wrote:Yah, hopefully VEHICLE Riggers, NOT Drone Riggers . .
Or both, as they are all pretty iconic SR roles.
Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no one - for I am the meanest motherfucker in the valley.