5e isnt even D&D....

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

virgil wrote:Either way. The important distinction here is that the article stated what the cleric IS, which includes reflecting the nature of a god that may directly oppose part of what they are. The only way to have all five goals met is to make the Gods of Explosions, Monks, Arcane Magic, & Undeath/Anti-Life be unable to have clerics.
No, as noted above you can have clerics that are 80% generic cleric and 20% explosion/monk/arcane/undeath.

Now, you could certainly argue that you want a cleric that's 20% generic cleric and 80% something else, but then (as also noted above) I would suggest that a class-based game is not the best fit for that situation. If you have classes, then by construction you will have character concepts that don't fit into any of those classes (or combination thereof).
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

@virgil:

while the "specialty" cleric is a good idea, it violates all the other 4 parts. maybe a god or anger DOES use flashy magic to instill fear. maybe a god of peace, doesnt use armor or weapons. god of orgies doesnt care about healing. god of war doesnt allow fru-fru spells, but requires the blood be drawn by the very hand of its clerics.

so 5 contradicts all the other 4, unless you prevent full ideas from being used in #5.
Last edited by shadzar on Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

hogarth wrote: If you don't like class roles, why would you play a game with classes?
That's not really the point, I would (and do) hold this view in a class-less system. Flavor text should be free, and if a piece of mechanics will model something I want to do, why should it matter what the word at the top of the block says?
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Desdan_Mervolam wrote:
hogarth wrote: If you don't like class roles, why would you play a game with classes?
That's not really the point, I would (and do) hold this view in a class-less system. Flavor text should be free, and if a piece of mechanics will model something I want to do, why should it matter what the word at the top of the block says?
In the article, Mearls says that one of the axioms that they're starting from is:
"The class should have an element that makes it unique. Playing one class should feel different from playing another one."

That's basically the definition of a system with classes. You're free to reject it, but rejecting that axiom and continuing to play a system with classes is an exercise in futility.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Desdan_Mervolam wrote:
are you talking about roles or classes now?

the thing is people will flock to a name of some mechanic, jsut like flocking to D&D itself based on its name. they really dont care what it does as long as they get a certain name. this is why ranger is the "forest and hunting shit" person you previously described.

people bitch and moan to get rid of Tolkien, yet must have the ranger. people cant just be happy with a fighter, and then give it fluff, or a cleric and give it fluff; they have to have the exact name match what they want without realizing the name is meaningless in the end.

there is NO defining characteristic to say a ranger except the tracking bit. this is not deserving of its own class, so should be like i mentioned in one of the other class-related threads i started, that a CP system that takes these odd abilities and lets ANY PC pick them up is best.

"thief" likewise has little to nothing that is really something to build a class on, as such backstabbing or sneak attack in 5e is supposed to be universal to all classes.

never has anyone sat and said "lets get rid of the superfluous classes", though that is the FIRST thing that should have been done. assassin was removed for this very reason that it doesnt make sense. fighters can be assassins, wizards can be assassins, even cleric...if building it upon a thief, a class already not needed, then you have to wondere if it is needed at all and it was decided it wasnt.

it is time for more like the paladin, ranger, bard, to be gone to jsut fluff names and let their silly abilities go into some CP system where you can modify your class with these features that they could do anyway.

roles are like jobs in the militia in 4th, and flawed, just like many of the classes that exist.

assassin is a job someone takes.
ranger is just a tracker, doesnt even need the forest trope attached.
thief was added solely because the amount of death-no-save-traps Gary used.
paladin is what the new cleric L&L article sounds like.

can you build your "forest and hunts shit" character under OD&D classes?:
fighting-man
magic-user
cleric

if so, and im sure MANY people could build there character concept under it, then you are right and the name should mean little, ergo most of those excessive classes need not exist, but just the abilities like those under CP, to give those divergences from one fighting-man to the next so they arent the same.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
Wrathzog
Knight-Baron

Post by Wrathzog »

hogarth wrote:In the article, Mearls says that one of the axioms that they're starting from is:
"The class should have an element that makes it unique. Playing one class should feel different from playing another one."

That's basically the definition of a system with classes. You're free to reject it, but rejecting that axiom and continuing to play a system with classes is an exercise in futility.
Sure, but that's still going to apply in the playing [Class 1] vs. playing [Class 2] pretending to be [Class 1] scenario. There will be mechanical differences even if their role and playstyle end up being similar.
PSY DUCK?
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Wrathzog wrote:
hogarth wrote:In the article, Mearls says that one of the axioms that they're starting from is:

Sure, but that's still going to apply in the playing [Class 1] vs. playing [Class 2] pretending to be [Class 1] scenario. There will be mechanical differences even if their role and playstyle end up being similar.
Nevertheless, I still stand by my argument that a cleric who spends all of his time doing ranger-y stuff should be worse at it than a ranger.

I'll staunchly defend the right of a player to have his PC try to perform poorly-suited tasks, however.
Wrathzog
Knight-Baron

Post by Wrathzog »

hogarth wrote:Nevertheless, I still stand by my argument that a cleric who spends all of his time doing ranger-y stuff should be worse at it than a ranger.

I'll staunchly defend the right of a player to have his PC try to perform poorly-suited tasks, however.
I'm cool with both of these statements.
PSY DUCK?
sake
Knight

Post by sake »

Wait, why the hell are Clerics of the God of Blowing Shit Up suddenly a bad thing? I thought the fact that last edition's clerics could blast the hell out of things with lightning and god lasers instead was a fairly well received and popular change
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

I think people wanted shadow bolts for evil priests too.

But overall, smiting things with lightning is the shit.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

sake wrote:Wait, why the hell are Clerics of the God of Blowing Shit Up suddenly a bad thing? I thought the fact that last edition's clerics could blast the hell out of things with lightning and god lasers instead was a fairly well received and popular change
It might not be a bad thing if they were rewriting the game from scratch, but if you were trying to create a lowest common denominator (or, more precisely, greatest common factor) version of D&D, that's one of the things that would probably fall by the wayside.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

They probably want a distinction between divine and arcane magic, and feel like divine magic is more subtle.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

ishy wrote:They probably want a distinction between divine and arcane magic, and feel like divine magic is more subtle.
that is what the article said....

but subtle doesnt define arcane or divine, that is the problem.

the distinction is where the magic comes from..arcane or divine. ONLY the players will know always which it is, the world itself will onyl be guessing unless they have some training.

NPCs could easily view magic as being a powerful wizard, or a gift/wrath of a god...whether it comes from a cleric or wizard.

the problem comes again in that part 5 where the gods define which of the other 4 points it follows.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Of all the times to think it to be safe to read something by Shadzar...
shadzar wrote:
ishy wrote:They probably want a distinction between divine and arcane magic, and feel like divine magic is more subtle.

That isn't the problem, subtle does define the divine magic of clerics, because they're setting goalposts where this is true. They're not wrong on that because your opinion or preferred goalpost differs. They'll be wrong when they equate their 5th goal with divine magic.

I will admit that if they stick to that, they can get away with having a God of Wizards or Storms by having the magic granted from that explicitly not be divine magic. It still has trouble with the God of Nudity, but that's an outlier. The real problem is them sticking to their first four goals when granting traits from their god; like dropping armor/shields, robust use of flamboyant divine magic, etc.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

virgil wrote:Of all the times to think it to be safe to read something by Shadzar...
shadzar wrote:

That isn't the problem, subtle does define the divine magic of clerics, because they're setting goalposts where this is true.
what is the point of setting goalposts that contradict each other?

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx ... l/20120409
Goal #1: Reunification through Common Understanding

Anyone who has ever played any version of D&D must recognize and understand its most important elements.
by setting a goal for the design of a cleric, that violates the design of the edition...they are already failing to even understand what goals are.
2e PHB wrote:Priest
The priest is a believer and advocate of a god from a particular mythos. More than just a follower, he intercedes and acts on behalf of others, seeking to use his powers to advance the beliefs of his mythos.
All priests have certain powers: The ability to cast spells, the strength of arm to defend their beliefs, and special, deity-granted powers to aid them in their calling. While priests are not as fierce in combat as warriors, they are trained to use weaponry in the fight for their cause. They can cast spells, primarily to further their god's aims and protect its adherents. They have few offensive spells, but these are very powerful.

Copyright 1999 TSR Inc.
that last statement right there does NOT appear as something subtle to me, especially when combined with the ideas of the others bolded.
Spells are the main tools of the cleric, however, helping him to serve, fortify, protect, and revitalize those under his care. He has a wide variety of spells to choose from, suitable to many different purposes and needs.

The cleric is also granted power over undead -- evil creatures that exist in a form of non-life, neither dead nor alive. The cleric is charged with defeating these mockeries of life. His ability to turn undead enables him to drive away these creatures or destroy them utterly.

Copyright 1999 TSR Inc.
"power over undead" is NOT subtle by any means.

if they were designing a new game, or a non-staple clas; they could set whatever goalposts they want, but one of the core 3...they have little design space to play in under Goal #1 of D&D Next.

also as someone has pointed out on other forums maybe even here.. the manifestation of the clerics magic is as subtle or flashy as it happens. nothing states how the water appears when made with create water.

this was ALWAYS left to DM and player imagination and choice in previous real editions of D&D. to try to change it, is codifying the fluff as badly7 as they tried to codify the mechanics in 4th.

the previous spells i mention shows the cleric spells to be JUST as flashy as wizard spells.

why make a goal for the entire edition, only to throw it out with the first class you make?
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

shadzar wrote:(...)

Anyone who has ever played any version of D&D must recognize and understand its most important elements.
(...)
Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but you seem to be quoting AD&D. That one is apparently outside of the scope of the project since they are only talking about D&D.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

ishy wrote:
shadzar wrote:(...)

(...)
Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but you seem to be quoting AD&D. That one is apparently outside of the scope of the project since they are only talking about D&D.
sadly you may be right, because they cannot understand since their first product that D&D and AD&D are two games, and wish to lump them into one game/product/brand.

which would beg the questions to be answered then: why look at 3.x or 4th since they are built of AD&D?

3rd was a direct next step to take in ONE direction from AD&D 2nd, thus the naming it 3rd. 4th following the same naming, and building upon the 3.x d20 system. they jsut dropped the name back to AD&D, without realizing that one step one in damaging the games, and misunderstanding of them.

aside from their clear incompetence to understand AD&D is NOT D&D but a totally different game they have CLAIMED to be taking into account AD&D in their bastardized naming format in L&L articles since the announcement of 5e.

here are some quotes from various L&L articles since the announcement of "Next"
Uniting the Editions, Part 1

As a contrast, AD&D (that is to say, 1E) involved more specific mechanics to create a more unified play experience from table to table. This included a more careful eye toward "realism," or perhaps more accurately, "simulation." But by modern standards, the game was still fairly simple, and things moved quickly. There were options for miniatures and tactical play, but most 1E fans did not use them. (Likewise, there were options for very high simulation, such as weapon speeds and the weapons vs. armor table, but most people didn't use them either.) 1E fans—and I'm of course overgeneralizing here—want many of the same things that BD&D lovers want, but with a few more options and a bit more simulation.

Then 2E came along and made only minor changes to the rules, but it made important changes to the style of gameplay. The Player's Handbook was not significantly different, but the Dungeon Master's Guide was. We started reading phrases such as "it's all about the story." Worldbuilding became more important than adventure design. If in OD&D one DM might say to another, "let me tell you about my dungeon," in the 2E era, a DM might say to another, "let me tell you about my world." As the system developed with many supplements, simulation and game balance took a back seat to story, setting, and interesting characters. Kits and nonweapon proficiencies, some of the major new(-ish) changes, showcased character development in interesting ways. This suggests that, broadly speaking, 2E players enjoy epic storylines and tools to create well-developed characters.

Uniting the Editions, Part 3

Further, there's stuff that is kind of on the fence in this regard. What about a system that resembled the weapons versus armor table in 1st Edition? Could we make that work as a part of a simulationist rules module? Maybe. Racial class restrictions? Sure (but why?). Are these good ideas? Bad ideas?

One way is simply through the customization of the rules modules that I wrote about last week. That is to say, although you can recreate the feel of 2nd Edition using them, you can also recreate the feel of 2nd Edition with a few options from 3rd or 4th as well. You wouldn't have to choose a past edition.

The Challenge of High Level Play

So, despite the fact that high-level 4th Edition play is quite different than high-level 1st Edition play, the general commentary about how high-level play breaks down remains the same.

A Walk Down Monster Lane

The AD&D Monster Manual consolidated hundreds of monsters into a single book, delivering to Dungeon Masters a seemingly endless supply of threats.

If you're a Dungeon Master, and you're like me, then you can never have enough monsters. I must have the Monster Manual and its sequels. In fact (and at the risk of showing my youth), the Monstrous Manual from 2nd Edition was the first D&D book I ever bought, even before I knew how to play D&D. I simply wanted the book because I was fascinated by the monster lore. Even though I had no idea what the statistics meant—I still hadn't figured out THAC0—I could tell from reading about the tarrasque that it was a badass.
so within their ivory tower the wizards of the coast sit and confuse themselves calling two things by one name, and do not yet understand why their arcane dealings are not bearing fruit....

the designers are clearly unable to grasp that its two games. the very nature of it being 2 games means they werent intended to work together or the gap be bridged, yet they wish to do so.

not the comment on AD&D 1st being a unification of the rules, as Gary intended, rather than having 4 versions of D&D, there would be a single AD&D.

it didnt end D&D or takes its place, it jsut offered a more uniform game rather than guesing which of the others people were playing. it was a distinct different game.

this bring to the point not just of editions, but the two games themselves:

you cannot reunify, things that were never unified.

their goal is a failure to begin with because AD&D exists as a separate entity, no matter what marketing decided to do with 3rd, it IS AD&Ds extension into the 21st century. 3rd was NEVER D&D, nor could it be because it went well beyond the scope of D&D.

so what really is there goal at this point? to make more money.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

More WotC Madness here!

Get your teapots and your teddy bears! Remember that "bullshit your abilty score for every check?" Oh, yeah, that's back, and they're "empowering DMs" rather than writing rules. So really it's back to "how well can you BS your DM into letting you do things." Idiots.

DM: Well, you need to talk to that guy...
Fighter: I flex my muscles to look like a boss!
DM:So, how are you going to cross the chasm?
Fighter: I flex my muscles!
...yeah

One actions and move your speed. Sure, fine, whatever.

We're going to pretend people actually care about their upcoming products with 5e in the works.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
wotmaniac
Knight-Baron

Post by wotmaniac »

Looks like Cook is out.

Don't know if I care or not. And I don't care that I don't know.
*WARNING*: I say "fuck" a lot.
"The most patriotic thing you can do as an American is to become filthy, filthy rich."
- Mark Cuban

"Game design has no obligation to cater to people who don’t buy into the premise of the game"

TGD -- skirting the edges of dickfinity since 2003.

Public Service Announcement
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Wait, what the fuck?

He's the only designer I think I can point to and say "He make things I like."

I'm also noticing Mike Mearls was left out of the little "I have no disagreements with..." disclaimer.

Whatever, I no longer had hope for this edition.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

wotmaniac wrote:Looks like Cook is out.

Meh. From my experience, he cares a lot about things I don't particularly care about, and vice versa.

For instance, he has gone on at length about how much he dislikes 3.5 and likes 3.0, when I find them basically indistinguishable.

And he has come up with ideas in Arcana Evolved (like dire weapons and lion men) and in the Book of Experimental Might (like double feats and uber feats) that I consider wastes of space.

And note that his involvement in Pathfinder was similarly short as well. I'm guessing it went along the same lines of suggesting a few things that people liked and a bunch of other things that nobody else was terribly interested in.
Last edited by hogarth on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

hogarth wrote:For instance, he has gone on at length about how much he dislikes 3.5 and likes 3.0, when I find them basically indistinguishable.
The actual switchover for 3.0E/3.5E wasn't that big of a change (unlike 4.0E to 4.5E), but the material that was released two years hence was. Even when you count duplicate material.

The time period from 2000 to 2004 was pretty awesome. Once you purge the Maho Tsukai, Savage Species and most of Magic of Faerun from the game, the most overpowered things in normal gameplay were things like the sword enchantment in Enemies and Allies that healed half of the damage you dealt on a hit. 3.5E immediately released a 50 HD Shapetjange that gave you supernatural abilities and a version of Alter Self that gave you +10 AC for 10 minutes/level. Fucking Ed Stark. And that's not even as bad as it got.

Not to mention that a ton of 3.5E crap at the outset were just cynical repackages or frame-flips of 3.0E material. Yeah, thanks for that useless Player's Guide to the Forgotten Realms book, guys. I really like having a version of Complete Warrior that nerfed practically every good monk or fighter or barbarian option except for the prestige class that Andy Collins personally played. Oh, and making a more useless version of Manual of the Planes? Top notch job, dickholes.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
wotmaniac
Knight-Baron

Post by wotmaniac »

CapnTthePirateG wrote:I'm also noticing Mike Mearls was left out of the little "I have no disagreements with..." disclaimer.
Ooh -- I hadn't picked up on that .... interesting.
*WARNING*: I say "fuck" a lot.
"The most patriotic thing you can do as an American is to become filthy, filthy rich."
- Mark Cuban

"Game design has no obligation to cater to people who don’t buy into the premise of the game"

TGD -- skirting the edges of dickfinity since 2003.

Public Service Announcement
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

hogarth wrote:For instance, he has gone on at length about how much he dislikes 3.5 and likes 3.0, when I find them basically indistinguishable.
I always chocked that up to bitterness over being canned around that time of transition.

His leaving 5E like this actually improves my opinion of him. It had been going down as of late because of his lack of producing anything I liked since Arcana Unearthed (Dungeon-A-Day was a big plate of 'meh'), and producing crap like d20 WoD. The system is clearly going even further away from anything I enjoyed, and seeing him separate himself shows a certain level of like-minded disagreement I can stand behind; especially when it's very likely Mearls is at the heart of it.

Yes, while I may have thoroughly enjoyed using Iron Heroes in at least two full campaigns, it was in spite of Mearls's inadequacy. I'll give him a nod for at least sparking an idea, but that's it.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

wotmaniac wrote:Looks like Cook is out.

if its anything like the recent Chris Roberson/DC Comics thing, next we will hear that WotC ended his contract so "he couldn't quit, because they fired him!"

oh and... :jump: 3e is dead! woohoo!

bet he goes to join Tweet on that game he is making.