Looking For Group (neither comic nor WoW)

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

Looking For Group (neither comic nor WoW)

Post by virgil »

General ranting about gaming woes. Since I've moved to East Texas, where it's an hour to reach Dallas, I essentially don't know anyone in the area aside from my girlfriend, so gaming is frustrating.

When I initially moved, I had no transportation for about eight months, so the people I gamed with in Denton have moved on and it's difficult for me to be able to game with them anymore; especially since Denton is a 1.5 to 2 hour drive. That's just for the ones that are good to game with. It's even harder to justify going to the group I've ranted about on these forums for years, who have also done the general post-college diaspora.

As it stands, there are no standard venues to meet gamers where I live. The closest is a GameStop; anything else requires getting into the Metroplex as far as effort required. There is a college nearby, but a guy in his late twenties trolling a campus he doesn't attend is kind of creepy.

I can sort of get a one-shot here and there, but a reliable group is difficult and I'd like to reliably branch my gaming to different people; even people I know besides the standard four in Denton. However, a general "one-shot this weekend" call-out has proven to be for naught.

Not really expecting help, just using this place to rant.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

You could try a google search for local gaming stuff, or d&d groups or something.
When I stayed abroad for half a year I did find some results that way, but was too lazy to actually check them out.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Tried that fairly thoroughly. There is absolutely not a peep of gaming unless it's in the Metroplex.
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Sometimes there just isn't any gaming to be found. I had a friend who was going to school in a location where there was literally no gaming that wasn't Vampire LARPing. Requiem, not Masquerade.

If you can't find a group, you may have to make one.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I'm willing to start a group. The question is how to find the gamer for said group.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

No, I meant you might have to make the gamers. From non-gamers. Make some friends and see who's up for it.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

You can check out Obsidian Portal and Pen and Paper Games. Both function as local gamer finders.
Last edited by Prak on Fri May 18, 2012 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Captain_Karzak
Journeyman

Post by Captain_Karzak »

Would you be willing to join a gaming group via skype?

A couple of my regular players have recently become regular absentees. I was supposed to go looking for replacements/supplemental players this week but somehow it's Friday night already! Let me know (in this thread, not via PM) if you have any interest.

Anyway, if you have to find a local group instead, try looking for groups of people who do things that might make them close cousins to the Pen and Paper crowd. For instance, is there an SCA chapter out there? You can probably find some gamers in that crowd, and their membership is gonna be geographically scattered, so someone might live near you. How about a board game meetup group? It's members might point you in the right direction.

Best of luck.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I'll soon be moving to fucking South Australia, where it's similar to your situation except:
A) yourmy girlfriend isn't there, so it's "zero" people who aren't family
and B) Dungeons and Dragons still probably falls under the Heresy laws there

(Note: not even the "near-ish to the one city, and close to a GW store which is kinda-sorta-almost worth something" place I used to be. Down in a place filled with old people just waiting to make a funeral home incredibly rich, that has only recently been granted universal broadband coverage)

I figure I'll probably just spend even more time online, or get back into an opiate habit. So my suggestion to you would be similar, except your girlfriend is there, so I recommend hours of fucking.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Virgil: If skype works for you, we could possibly set it up over here. Hell, I'd invest in the network camera our web tv can hook up to so I can skype with you.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp
Knight

Post by Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp »

You can check the link to my online game if ye wish.
Black Marches
"Real Sharpness Comes Without Effort"