Pathfinder Is Still Bad

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

ScottS
Journeyman

Post by ScottS »

fectin wrote: Based on that, he uses the same strategy and agrees with Frank's "quote", which strongly approves of 4E. It's a bit more hamhanded than you may be used to seeing here, but it's fairly straightforward.
Could be right, but I guess the stumbling block here is, who the fuck uses "Gandhi" as a word for "an awesome thing"? Calling it "the Cadillac of game mechanics" or something might have confused less people. Much ham was to be handed on that day...
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

There is a kickstart to make a steampunk setting for PF.
Which appears to be based partially on Girl Genius.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/100 ... r-role-pl/
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

ishy wrote:There is a kickstart to make a steampunk setting for PF.
Which appears to be based partially on Girl Genius.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/100 ... r-role-pl/
There's not just one...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/714 ... pg-setting
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

$3000 so that you can pay for some guy to run a game for you... Wow.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

...You Lost Me wrote:$3000 so that you can pay for some guy to run a game for you... Wow.
I think most RPG Kickstarters that I've seen have an option like that. Why not? It doesn't hurt, and you might even have someone crazy enough to pony up that much dough. Supposedly 8 people pledged $1000 and one person pledged $5000 for the Pathfinder Online Kickstarter (whether those are shills or not, who knows?).
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

No kidding? Man, I am out of the loop. I figured everyone paying for kickstarters was a poor college student.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

ScottS wrote:
fectin wrote: Based on that, he uses the same strategy and agrees with Frank's "quote", which strongly approves of 4E. It's a bit more hamhanded than you may be used to seeing here, but it's fairly straightforward.
Could be right, but I guess the stumbling block here is, who the fuck uses "Gandhi" as a word for "an awesome thing"? Calling it "the Cadillac of game mechanics" or something might have confused less people. Much ham was to be handed on that day...
I wonder where threatening to fast until he died of starvation or people gave up violence fits into the metaphor. Or the gradual change from embracing India's role as a westernized component of the British Empire to utter rejection of their rule to point that he organized big pyres of imported Western clothes.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Man, Palladium was askin for my money YEARS before Kickstarter made it cool!

The only project I've seen that I want to GIVE MY MONEY to though is Phil Tippet's Mad God. A new stop motion sci fi exploration horror movie, yess

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mad ... ts-mad-god

This is EXACTLY the kinda aesthetic I want for an RPG setting
... maybe "Kickstart Mad God RPG!!" can come next hahah.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Sat May 19, 2012 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:
ScottS wrote:
I wonder where threatening to fast until he died of starvation or people gave up violence fits into the metaphor. Or the gradual change from embracing India's role as a westernized component of the British Empire to utter rejection of their rule to point that he organized big pyres of imported Western clothes.
You're overanalyzing it. The "Gandhi of RPGs" is just supposed to be the opposite of "the Hitler of RPGs" or something dumb like that.
erik
King

Post by erik »

hogarth wrote: You're overanalyzing it. The "Gandhi of RPGs" is just supposed to be the opposite of "the Hitler of RPGs" or something dumb like that.
This makes more sense than anything.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

OgreBattle wrote:

The only project I've seen that I want to GIVE MY MONEY to though is Phil Tippet's Mad God. A new stop motion sci fi exploration horror movie, yess

That picture reminds me of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9_%282009_film%29
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

ishy wrote:
OgreBattle wrote:

That picture reminds me of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9_%282009_film%29
And if you didn't like that movie, you're a MUGGLE and a REPUBLICAN.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Blech, old group had one player make a monk for their Pathfinder game, and consider it a very powerful character; after giving him a nerfed Vow of Poverty (no Exalted feats). Their reason for this opinion? At level 13, the monk duelled a level 15 barbarian NPC, and both KO'd each other.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Well at least they didn't use the pathfinder vow of poverty.
Antariuk
Knight

Post by Antariuk »

virgil wrote:Blech, old group had one player make a monk for their Pathfinder game, and consider it a very powerful character; after giving him a nerfed Vow of Poverty (no Exalted feats). Their reason for this opinion? At level 13, the monk duelled a level 15 barbarian NPC, and both KO'd each other.
A nerfed VoP? I didn't know that was even possible, or to be precise, something anyone would even consider.

Also, is it just me or is this attitude of really bad spotlight-fixing a prominent feature among certain fans of Pathfinder? I'm glad I never had to deal with shit like that in my actual games, but the regularity of reports like yours makes my head hurt.
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Antariuk wrote:
virgil wrote:Blech, old group had one player make a monk for their Pathfinder game, and consider it a very powerful character; after giving him a nerfed Vow of Poverty (no Exalted feats). Their reason for this opinion? At level 13, the monk duelled a level 15 barbarian NPC, and both KO'd each other.
A nerfed VoP? I didn't know that was even possible, or to be precise, something anyone would even consider.

Also, is it just me or is this attitude of really bad spotlight-fixing a prominent feature among certain fans of Pathfinder? I'm glad I never had to deal with shit like that in my actual games, but the regularity of reports like yours makes my head hurt.
You should wander over to their forums. Threads about how the fighter is dominating the party are only slightly less common than bullshit morality threads.

Though for some reason, the fighter dominance threads never actually explain how this is even happening- the fighter is just 'somehow better' than the group's cleric or wizard.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Voss wrote:You should wander over to their forums. Threads about how the fighter is dominating the party are only slightly less common than bullshit morality threads.

Though for some reason, the fighter dominance threads never actually explain how this is even happening- the fighter is just 'somehow better' than the group's cleric or wizard.
Maybe the PF devs created some shills to convince people that they actually fixed the problem.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

Mmh. I recently commented that the lvl 15 pregens for the last volume of an Adventure Path we're the usual shit, but the Wizard looked actively sandbagged*. I still think they did it on purpose.

*His 2 8th-level spells. Polar Ray, ranged touch +6 for 15d6 cold damage +1d4 dex. The other is Iron Body, a personal polymorph that gives him a 35% ASF which he can't bypass, in exchange for making him a melee monster, I guess: speed 15 (no flight), AC 14, DR 15/Adamantine, 89 hp, and a full attack routine of +10/+5, 1d6+8. This is a level 15 wizard.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
John Magnum
Knight-Baron

Post by John Magnum »

Iron Body looks like it would turn you into a mediocre fighter back at level 5, DR notwithstanding. That's a COMICALLY pisspoor full attack routine, even setting aside the ridiculous notion that a wizard would spend actions doing direct damage. What the hell?
-JM
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

rasmuswagner wrote:Mmh. I recently commented that the lvl 15 pregens for the last volume of an Adventure Path we're the usual shit, but the Wizard looked actively sandbagged*. I still think they did it on purpose.

*His 2 8th-level spells. Polar Ray, ranged touch +6 for 15d6 cold damage +1d4 dex. The other is Iron Body, a personal polymorph that gives him a 35% ASF which he can't bypass, in exchange for making him a melee monster, I guess: speed 15 (no flight), AC 14, DR 15/Adamantine, 89 hp, and a full attack routine of +10/+5, 1d6+8. This is a level 15 wizard.
Was that you? I read that thread, and was heartily amused at James Jacobs utterly losing his cool over some bullshit optimizing strawman.

'Raargh, optimizers like you are why we don't stat iconics anymore, because time and we suck.'
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

I hope anybody who gets handed that pregen says "Fuck you, my wizard does not have those spells." I understand you can win D&D without using your 8th level spell slots, but at least put in spells that are fun.

Iron Body is an obvious trap option that serves to make the wizard useless, and polar ray is just point-and-click damage.

Also, ranged touch of +6? Wizards have half BAB, how is he that bad at touch attacks? Did he dump dex or something?
sandmann wrote:
Zak S wrote:I'm not a dick, I'm really nice.
Zak S wrote:(...) once you have decided that you will spend any part of your life trolling on the internet, you forfeit all rights as a human.If you should get hit by a car--no-one should help you. If you vote on anything--your vote should be thrown away.

If you wanted to participate in a conversation, you've lost that right. You are a non-human now. You are over and cancelled. No concern of yours can ever matter to any member of the human race ever again.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Voss wrote: Though for some reason, the fighter dominance threads never actually explain how this is even happening- the fighter is just 'somehow better' than the group's cleric or wizard.
The DM has monsters walk up to the fighter and only attack the fighter. The wizard used up his magic missiles, and the Cleric is buffing the fighter.

Basically they are playing D&D like world of warcraft.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

rasmuswagner wrote:Mmh. I recently commented that the lvl 15 pregens for the last volume of an Adventure Path we're the usual shit, but the Wizard looked actively sandbagged*. I still think they did it on purpose.
That was some brilliant drive-by trolling you did. I had some fun with it before it got closed.

Is 'sunbeam' from around here? He was amusing over there too.
Slade
Knight

Post by Slade »

I assumed that Pathfinder had a beta tester group (people who actually playtested it) outside of its "open playtest" advertisement scam.
You know, to make sure the game actually worked... instead just felt right....

Apparently according to Lisa (one of the designers) they never did any real playtesting at all.
http://paizo.com/forums/dmtz5sfi?Im-not ... rms-and#23
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Slade wrote:Apparently according to Lisa (one of the designers) they never did any real playtesting at all.
http://paizo.com/forums/dmtz5sfi?Im-not ... rms-and#23
She's not a designer, she's the CEO and co-owner/co-founder of Paizo.
Last edited by hogarth on Fri May 25, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.