Slade
Knight

Post by Slade »

Really?
Did not know that detail.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

Slade wrote:I assumed that Pathfinder had a beta tester group (people who actually playtested it) outside of its "open playtest" advertisement scam.
You know, to make sure the game actually worked... instead just felt right....

Apparently according to Lisa (one of the designers) they never did any real playtesting at all.
http://paizo.com/forums/dmtz5sfi?Im-not ... rms-and#23
I appreciate a good bash against Paizo, but not ones that are total BS. According to Lisa they never did a closed Beta or any test that required NDAs. You can make a lot of accurate, relevant attacks about how poorly they ran their open beta test, but they did run an open beta test.
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
malak
Master

Post by malak »

Slade wrote:Apparently according to Lisa (one of the designers) they never did any real playtesting at all.
And this is a surprise to you? Why?

They knew that 3.5 sells already, and making sure that everyone thinks they are improving the ruleset was much more important that actually improving the ruleset.

And looking at where they stand now, I think it was the right decision. They managed to position themselves as the good guys next to evil WotC in the eyes of many - no mean feat when considering that the product they sell is actually WotC's, by and large.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I participated in the Paizo play-test. It did absolutely drive me away from them. They didn't care about things that were blatantly broken and could be proved with simple math. They made a bunch of changes that seemed unnecessary and refused some important changes to 'maintain backward compatibility'.

There were problems with the Playtest. But they did make changes based on feedback, and they did make some interesting tweaks. Not enough for me to support it, but it seems like they're doing pretty well.

Paizo was the good guy in that situation. WotC pulled their license to publish Dragon and Dungeon magazine, and they were good products. More importantly, they were holding themselves to a high standard - particularly editorially.

Paizo continues to make excellent products (that I don't buy) - that is to say, they continue to be of good quality with very few errors. WotC has never been able to say that.

I remember picking up Serpent Kingdoms and opening to two random pages and having stupid fucking typos rape my eyeballs - things that should have been impossible for any editor to miss. They don't do enough quality control - never have - and if D&D Next is any indication, never will.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

deaddmwalking wrote:WotC pulled their license to publish Dragon and Dungeon magazine, and they were good products. More importantly, they were holding themselves to a high standard - particularly editorially.
I disagree with that. I had a paid prescription to Internet Dragon and Dungeon and I liked that product a lot better than the haphazard and unprofessional-looking dead tree edition. I mean, fuck, most 4E tables let people use post-Paizo Dragon and Dungeon material at their table more-or-less uncritically. That NEVER happened for 3E D&D and for good reason; I trust Relics and Rituals, Mongoose, and Kingdoms of Kalamar material a lot more than Dragon and Dungeon dreck.

As far as published adventure paths and modules go, eh. 4E D&D has published some really good ones (Hammerfell, Scales of War) and some incredibly shitty ones (Keep on the Shadowfell, Kingdom of Ghouls, that Dark Sun Bruce Cordell module). I only have City of Worms and it's okay. Nothing that would make me think that WotC was stupid for letting go of Paizo.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

We're going to have to agree to disagree.

I'm not familiar with the internet version of these products, but I subscribed for a long time.

After Dungeon ditched Polyhedron as a 'shared sister magazine' and they focused on a low, medium and high level adventure in each issue, it was a solid product. Not every adventure was useful to every group, but having a large number of adventures available to a DM to help 'take the group off the rails' isn't a bad thing, and at $8-9 an issue, it was a hell of a good bargain compared to most gaming products (assuming it even cost that much).

Dragon was never perfect, but it was never meant to be something you slide into your game whole-sale. First off, the magazine wasn't published by Paizo the entire run of 3.0/3.5, if I remember correctly. I mean, I think most of the people were the same and Lisa and company formed Paizo to keep producing Dragon and Dungeon when WotC divested themselves of it. But basically, every issue of Dragon was like Unearthed Arcana - it gave options for play, but not every option is compatible with every other option. Also, in the 96 or so issues published during 3.0/3.5, there was a lot of 'stuff'. The more stuff you add, the more problems you get. For example, let's assume there were on average 5 spells per issue for clerics - that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 extra spells that they didn't have to 'learn'. Throwing them all into the game would be excessive... But using a few spells for a cleric focused on a particular theme wouldn't NECESSARILY break the game. Things like statting out a moose as a druid animal companion isn't really something that's going to break a game, for example. I was definitely willing to try more things in Dragon than anything by Mongoose, for example, but most of it didn't stick - but that has more to do with the fact that I can't bring a stack of 50+ issues to every game considering the other books I already had to bring. If I used anything, it tended to be one or two things at a time so I'd have my reference material at hand.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

Paizo are currently committed to a clear editorial policy: Never admit mistakes. Never fix anything.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
Antariuk
Knight

Post by Antariuk »

rasmuswagner wrote:Paizo are currently committed to a clear editorial policy: Never admit mistakes. Never fix anything.
Yeah, I'm getting that impression too.
I read a few things on their boards, which by the way still have terrible layout, and every time (not so) tricky rules questions came up, it felt like a good ol' sage advise.

Especially the thread where rasmus commented on the pregens. That one really gave me a pause, because Jacobs was backed up by some fans despite him literally saying that they don't care for shitty pregens or errors within the stats because they are made like 5 minutes before everything goes to the printer.

Although, sometimes they do fix things, albeit in a 'surprising' fashion. For example, only recently I discovered that with the 5th printing errata wizards can retry coyping spells without spending a skill point in Spellcraft first:
PRD wrote: If the check fails, the wizard cannot understand or copy the spell. He cannot attempt to learn or copy that spell again until one week has passed.
Well, at least there are some new fighter feats somewhere... I guess.
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

rasmuswagner wrote:Paizo are currently committed to a clear editorial policy: Never admit mistakes. Never fix anything.
It really depends on the particular person. Some people are particularly defensive when it comes to the possibility of admitting mistakes. For instance, Sean K Reynolds is particularly Frank Trollman-esque in that regard.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Are you just trying to start shit so Frank will finally hatefuck you, hogarth? Because you've been baiting him for months.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Mask_De_H wrote:Are you just trying to start shit so Frank will finally hatefuck you, hogarth? Because you've been baiting him for months.
Wait, it's only honourable to point out the flaws of people who aren't here?

Seriously, Sean K. Reynolds is willing to argue that black is white and hot snow falls up before admitting that something is wrong, but he's hardly the only one who does that.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

hogarth wrote:
Mask_De_H wrote:Are you just trying to start shit so Frank will finally hatefuck you, hogarth? Because you've been baiting him for months.
Wait, it's only honourable to point out the flaws of people who aren't here?

Seriously, Sean K. Reynolds is willing to argue that black is white and hot snow falls up before admitting that something is wrong, but he's hardly the only one who does that.
I don't think I've ever seen Frank admit that he's wrong regarding a rules question for a system he did not write or help write. Even when it seems fairly likely that he is mistaken. Ditto for most realworld topics. And many hypothetical rules situations (WoF is clearly the most egregious example.)

But he's much more open to criticism for rules that he has already written out. Meaning After Sundown, Tomes, etc. In comparison, SKR seems to regularly ignore things that he has written or that people that work with him has written just to justify what he wants to say at that given moment. Like the Sage.

And I'd say that that is a fairly major distinction, at least as pertains to RPG design. (Unless you're just really looking for the hatefuck.)
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Instead of nitpicking his statement, you could take it the way he meant it, interpreting it as "Sometimes SKR refuses to admit he's wrong (Frank does this too)"

That's it. Now let's all put down our e-peens and move on, shall we?
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I don't think I've ever seen Frank admit that he's wrong regarding a rules question for a system he did not write or help write. Even when it seems fairly likely that he is mistaken. Ditto for most realworld topics.
Oh for fuck´s sake. You could try actually checking this shit. Because I´ve been known to issue corrections for things I have said that were wrong simply because I independently discoverd that they were wrong and not because anyone here demonstrated contrary evidence.

As for hogarth´s rain of vitriol, it honestly is not worth responding to. Remember when he insisted that he was going to check his ADnD DMG to correct my bullshit about my statements of ADnD weapon drop rates? Well, either it has really taken hogarth a long ass time to get home, or the fact that what I said was one hundred percent correct because it was copied out of the damn book meant that he did not find the smoking gun on me. And then, because he is an asshole, he just kept quiet rather than fucking apologize for having essentially called me a liar.

Hogarth is pretty much entirely projection. He has some sort of bizarre mad-on for me and wants to take me down a notch or some shit, so he assumes that I am personally exactly as much of a douche as he is about all things. So any time he accuses me of, well anything at all, we can be fairly sure that this is a flaw he recognizes in himself.

There simply is no point in engaging with his insults one at a time. Even this much engagement is too much time, and I am only doing it because with two other people getting drawn into the discussion of hogarth´s personal insecurities, it seems like I need to put my damn foot down before it derails the thread even more.

-Username17
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

So, which two touhous do FrankTrollman and Hogarth most resemble.
Sarandosil
Apprentice

hey this one actually terminates

Post by Sarandosil »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Oh for fuck´s sake. You could try actually checking this shit. Because I´ve been known to issue corrections for things I have said that were wrong simply because I independently discoverd that they were wrong and not because anyone here demonstrated contrary evidence...

-Username17
But are you willing to issue a correction that you don't issue corrections when you independently find you were wrong if you independently find that you were wrong about issuing corrections when you independently find out you were wrong? :kindacool:
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Less personal wanking, more Paizo bashing please.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

TOZ wrote:Less personal wanking, more Paizo bashing please.
Sure, I'm all wanked out for the moment.

----

Gripe of the day: Two years ago, the folks at Paizo removed the Riding Dog from the Summon Nature's Ally I list (it was CR 1 and everything else on the list was CR 1/2 or less). But it took over a year to remove it from the Summon Monster I list (in the latest printing of the core rulebook), and it still isn't mentioned in the official errata document.

Hurray for stealth errata! :bored:
GâtFromKI
Knight-Baron

Post by GâtFromKI »

It isn't mentioned in the online PRD. I guess html documents are very hard to correct.
Last edited by GâtFromKI on Mon May 28, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

GâtFromKI wrote:It isn't mentioned in the online PRD either. I guess html documents are very hard to correct.
The problem is that the PRD is kept updated with the latest errata documents (which is perfectly sensible), so "stealth errata" like this doesn't get incorporated.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

OgreBattle wrote:So, which two touhous do FrankTrollman and Hogarth most resemble.

Serious answer, Mokou and Kaguya.

And that bit of stealth errata is just run of the mill laziness; the penny of failure.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Postscript: The Pathfinder Online demo-for-a-demo Kickstarter campaign raised $300K.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Was it the demo, or the adventure module for backers that raised that?
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

TOZ wrote:Was it the demo, or the adventure module for backers that raised that?
I believe it is the tech demo to take to backers to get them to fund the actual project.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Voss wrote:
TOZ wrote:Was it the demo, or the adventure module for backers that raised that?
I believe it is the tech demo to take to backers investors with big money to get them to fund the actual project.
FTFY.
The actual product offered at the kickstarter was a 64-page location book. The chance to play the demo was offered at the $2000 and $5000 levels, with one person going for the former and two for the latter.