Just because it's in the Book... Doesn't mean it's right.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

ckafrica
Duke

Re: Just because it's in the Book... Doesn't mean it's right

Post by ckafrica »

I've never bothered asking my friend who uses it why he likes taking it but he's not one to do stuff thatc doesn't give him some kind of good feeling.
The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Well, there you go, learn something new every day.

I'll still just take your advice on that one, rather than go find out. Besides, I don't think that's what friendly Mister Eversor actually takes.

Though it would also explain the skull for a face. I hear it makes you lose weight like crazy (something I can hardly afford to do).
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Eversor assassins have a drug cocktail running through them that actually explodes if their hearts (they have a backup one) stop beating.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1192879361[/unixtime]]they have a backup one

Who doesn't have two hearts these days?

But those guys probably have nine kidneys each, and I'm not even going to count how many testicles.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Leress at [unixtime wrote:1192841575[/unixtime]]
Judging__Eagle at [unixtime wrote:1192814205[/unixtime]]

You just quoted the worst comic ever.

Agh...even the people on the site say it's bad. This is the worst comic I have ever read. :freakedout:

Well, no one can said that I lied or led them to believe it was worth their time.

It's written entirely retarded from start to finish, and badly drawn to boot.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1192887328[/unixtime]]
Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1192879361[/unixtime]]they have a backup one

Who doesn't have two hearts these days?

But those guys probably have nine kidneys each, and I'm not even going to count how many testicles.

2; all the extra testosterone is part of the exploding chemical cocktail.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Falgund at [unixtime wrote:1192811842[/unixtime]]So, in order to be competitive at high level you *have* to do math in WoW.

No.

You don't have to do any math.

Someone has to do math. And being as there's six million people on your team, it's a pretty safe bet someone else has been there first.

And guess what? Despite what people say, the top end encounters are not a matter of thousandths of percents differences that talents and such will give you in performance. Most changes are not the same as getting a +1 on a d20 roll - they're like getting a +1 on a d10,000 roll. And they don't add up.

And if you bothered to read my post, you'd have noticed that I did realize that someone had done the math.

Learn to read, then post.

Like the topic here isn't about optimizing your character: It's about realizing that rule sets don't do what they're supposed to do and fixing the rules, not the characters.

-Crissa
Falgund
Journeyman

Post by Falgund »

Crissa wrote:And guess what? Despite what people say, the top end encounters are not a matter of thousandths of percents differences that talents and such will give you in performance. Most changes are not the same as getting a +1 on a d20 roll - they're like getting a +1 on a d10,000 roll. And they don't add up.

Allow me to disagree on this point. Like i said, bad choices due to 'no math' can lose you 50% of your damage potential (and i didn't even talk of choice of talents, only gear and skill use choice). And when some high end encounters are 'Kill him in 10minutes or die', everyone has to play up to 100% of their damage potential. Thus many high end guilds don't even bother to recruit you if you don't reach that 100%.

Crissa wrote:And if you bothered to read my post, you'd have noticed that I did realize that someone had done the math.

Rereading your post, you said that Blizzard did the math and fixed things, i just say that things are still not completly fixed. And i saw no mention of players doing math.

Crissa wrote:Like the topic here isn't about optimizing your character: It's about realizing that rule sets don't do what they're supposed to do and fixing the rules, not the characters.

And this is exactly what i am talking about. For example, for an enhancement shaman, Flametongue weapon enchant *looks* like a good spell to use on a fast weapon. But if you do that you lose at least 20% of your damage potential. The good choice is using Windfury weapon on a slow weapon. (And that's talking on both main hand and off-hand weapon)
Another enhancement shaman example, it may look good to use a 2 handed weapon, especially for players who like doing high crits. But, another time, using math you'll see that this is sub-optimal.

Thus the 'flametongue' and the '2 handed weapon' rules are 'broken', and should be fixed. And this is only for the enhancement shaman ruleset (playing a shaman, it's the part that I know), and not everything.

Yet, Blizzard has already corrected problems like this and is still doing it, i just wanted to say that there are still problems to fix, even after almost 3 years.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Falgund at [unixtime wrote:1192967786[/unixtime]]Allow me to disagree on this point. Like i said, bad choices due to 'no math' can lose you 50% of your damage potential...

That's both irrelevant to the thread, my post, and is wrong anyhow. Take your fucking head out of your ass and do the fucking math. At no point could it possibly be as large as 50% unless you're talking about Hunters and shot rotation in which you literally aren't attacking as fast as you could be. It'd be like doing Full Attacks in which you forget to actually do all of your attacks.

Rereading your post, you said that Blizzard did the math and fixed things, i just say that things are still not completly fixed. And i saw no mention of players doing math.

Because you're an illiterate arse, apparently unable to read my post or do MMO math:

Blizzard doesn't give us the numbers, but looks and sees if it really does what people say it's doing. Wizards, on the other hand, doesn't...

There's two sentences where I used the words 'people' and 'players'.

And this is exactly what i am talking about.

No it isn't. You're talking gibberish about some particular place where you could use some alternate ability and throwing out random numbers. I've given actual D&D examples to at least keep the audience involved and you're just hijacking my thread to whine about your stupid pet peeve.

Yet, Blizzard has already corrected problems like this and is still doing it, i just wanted to say that there are still problems to fix, even after almost 3 years.

...Except you're supposed to be dual-wielding and using your 31-point talent. Nowhere does it look or say that doing what you suggest is 'good'. Why do you even think they have the talent?

You're an idiot. Get out of my thread.

-Crissa
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1192920472[/unixtime]]

You don't have to do any math.

Someone has to do math. And being as there's six million people on your team, it's a pretty safe bet someone else has been there first.

Yeah pretty much for MMORPGs, you can just damn well take a basic "build" off of a message board or whatever, just like you can do in D&D with the Char Op boards, only it's even easier in an MMORPG because you don't have to worry about a DM telling you that polymorph is banned.

People have done so much research on all this crap that MMORPGs are generally just an exercise of following in other people's footsteps. There just aren't that many viable options you can try and it's generally pretty easy to research something and figure out what tactics are "Better" against certain things.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Note to self: Crissa is on the rag around the 20th of the month, avoid her at these times.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

RandomCasualty at [unixtime wrote:1192992521[/unixtime]]People have done so much research on all this crap that MMORPGs are generally just an exercise of following in other people's footsteps. There just aren't that many viable options you can try and it's generally pretty easy to research something and figure out what tactics are "Better" against certain things.

Yeah.

My pet peeve is when people start going off on about weird edge cases or abilities which make so much less of a difference that in the end, they'd never really know if those abilities were there or not.

The difference in ping time is more impact than most talents - though there are a few which are totally indispensable for certain tasks. Which makes the argument all the more annoying. 95% of it is crap, but since it all theoretically adds up, people get picky about your 95% of crap. And even the 5% of good stuff isn't useful if you can't actually get to use it.

Playstyle is important. Someone who rolls bad in table top takes ten... Someone in an MMO who can't pull off a combo chooses another combo they can get off more reliably.

Playstyle arguments peeve me. If you don't do it in (insert group here) you're supposedly shit, even if it doesn't the hell matter. You can still do it in that style and suck.

-Crissa
shau
Knight-Baron

Post by shau »

Koumei wrote:I haven't read the comic, just seen individual panels here and there. Disappointing. The novels were actually decent. And by that I mean "The first two were decent, the next one seemed a bit random and also deviated from what the Doom games were about, and I haven't read the last one but heard that it goes even further".

By saying the novels are random, would you be referring to the fact that the main characters team up with clones of Magilla Gorilla to do battle with aliens whose heads were shaped like avocados? Cause I found that part pretty damn random.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

That Doom comic is like Deadpool on meth.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

shau at [unixtime wrote:1193013159[/unixtime]]
By saying the novels are random, would you be referring to the fact that the main characters team up with clones of Magilla Gorilla to do battle with aliens whose heads were shaped like avocados? Cause I found that part pretty damn random.

You could say that's precisely what I'm referring to, actually.
Falgund
Journeyman

Post by Falgund »

Crissa wrote:You're an idiot. Get out of my thread.

Isn't the all thread a pet peeve about 'Rules should be perfect' ? I thought i was on topic, trying to further this goal by being more precise: "Yes, Blizzard good, but still aren't perfect". (My pet peeve is that everything should be perfect. So, if i can say a word to perfect something, i'll do it. Even an argument.)
The strange thing, at least 50% of all the other posts are completly off-topic, and you say nothing. What should i conclude ? Back to lurking mode ...
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Calibron at [unixtime wrote:1192996612[/unixtime]]Note to self: Crissa is on the rag around the 20th of the month, avoid her at these times.

I think it frustrates her when she's forced to realize that she's not as good at translating her thoughts into words as she thinks she is. Rather than work on writing what she thinks properly, she blames everyone else for not understanding her.

She's a lot like my ex wife, in so many ways. That's probably the root of the general feelings of enmity I have for Crissa.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.