[D&D3ish]Crypts of Chaos: Scouting Interest

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok, so I've been thinking of other ways I can do a predacon. Looks like so far we have a "Be a Fighter by writing 'Sorcerer' at the top of your sheet," a fighter, and a cleric(?) right? So... looks like we could use a rogue? Ok, that could be tricky...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Prak_Anima wrote:Ok, so I've been thinking of other ways I can do a predacon. Looks like so far we have a "Be a Fighter by writing 'Sorcerer' at the top of your sheet," a fighter, and a cleric(?) right? So... looks like we could use a rogue? Ok, that could be tricky...
Avoraciopoctules wrote:Olaf Abdulov Image
M TN Human Rogue, Level 1, Init +6, HP 8/8, Speed 30 ft.
AC 14, Touch 12, Flat-footed 12, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +2, Base Attack Bonus +0
Morningstar +2 (1d8+2, 20 / x2)
Shortbow +2 (1d6, 20 / x3)
Sap +2 (1d6+2 subdual, 20 / x2)
Leather Armor (+2 Armor, +2 Dex)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 14

Olaf is a peasant from the land of Bogarus. Not content with life as a fifth child on the potato farm of his parents, he moved to a city looking for work and soon turned to burglary. He was not very successful. One day, he busted into a decrepit temple and tried to pry the quartz eyes out of an idol. Unfortunately for him, this drew the attention of the Mad God.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ah, ok, I missed that one, sorry. So... it looks like the bases are covered and my Pred. can be whatever suits me best?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Whoops, I forgot to list my sourcebooks. I'm using the PHB, Complete Warrior, and Sandstorm. How comedic are you intending this campaign to be? I'm fully intending my character to insist on making the most dramatic entrance possible at all times and spout one-liners at every oppourtunity- I can tone it down a bit if you want something more serious.

As an aside, how long are you intending this to run in terms of levels?

edit: if you don't want to deal with the clusterfuck that is 3.5 grappling rules we can use the tome grappling rules or I can just make something else like an archer or something; it's no big deal.
Last edited by Korgan0 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Google is my friend, it turns out. 125GP.

So here we have Dreiden Baker, CG Human Female Cleric of Gond
Str16+3
Dex12+1
Con15+2
Int11+0
Wis17+3
Cha13+1

Initiative: +1
HP: 10/10
Speed: 30' (20' armoured)

Armour Class: 15 (+1 Dexterity, +4 Armour)
-Flat-footed: 14
-Touch AC: 11
Fort+4
Ref+1
Will+5

BAB/Grapple: +0/+3
Attack: Lucerne Hammer +4 melee, reach (2d4+4 Bludgeoning, 20/x4)

Feats:
Fire Devotion (1/day 1 minute +1 Fire damage on atacks, spend 2 Turnings to use again)
Eyes of the Abyss (60' Darkvision)

Skills:
Know: Nobby Roy+4
Know: Religion+4
Know: Planes+4
*Diplomacy 0 ranks-1
Spot 0 ranks+4

Features:
Turn Undead 4/day
Spontaneous Cure
Domain: Fire (Turn Water or Rebuke Fire 4/day)
-1st: Burning Hands
Domain: Metal (Proficiency and Focus with Lucerne Hammer)
-1st: Magic Weapon

Spells:
Orisons: DC 13
-Light, Cure Minor, Resistance
1st Level: DC 14
-Magic Weapon, Divine Favour, D: Burning Hands

Gear:
Lucerne Hammer (12)
Scale Mail (50)
2x CLW Scroll (50)
Sunrod x5 (10)
3 GP
Last edited by Koumei on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Went with a warforged warlock, pretty easy to play off as tech coming online, and I can use Spider Shape in a few levels to do a beast mode.
Character Sheet for Aracanis, Predacon Newspark (warforged warlock1)

I figure I'll probably actually dip a level of fighter to get him proficiency with the swords and shield he's carrying, but that will push back his beast mode another level.

Seemed like the other best way to do a Pred. would be to hack the lycanthrope template a bit, but that takes a good bit of DM fiat.
Last edited by Prak on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

OKay, I've updated the first post to reflect our current roster of players and sourcebooks. I'm gonna give 24 hours for any other players that want in, or for y'all to tweak/redesign/fiddle with your characters and update your character sheets accordingly.

Couple notes:
My normal preferred method of attribute generation is roll 4d6 and drop the lowest die - but if you want to just set everything to 14, that is also acceptable.

I had tentatively designed the Crypts of Chaos to take characters from 1st to 6th level, but the game goes until you succeed, reach an alternate ending that is acceptable to you, or decide to call it quits.

I'm not going to make an overt suggestions unless asked, but if you're unhappy with your character - want to play a Beguiler instead of a Sorcerer, or difficulty with weapon proficiencies - I will remind that there are a lot of options available and potential variant rules in the UA section of the SRD that you can choose to use. 'nuff said.

The tone of the game is to have fun. If you're having fun, then go nuts.
Last edited by Ancient History on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Oh, my books used: Eberron campaign setting, Races of Eberron, Complete Arcane, and spider shape is in Drow of the Underdark.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

One tome thing that I'd really like to put the vote, if I could, is the weapon proficiency thing.

Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

okay holy fucking shit I screwed up this character- turns out IUS doesn't give you a monk progression like I thought it did- this was a really stupid mistake, and I have no idea what the devil I'll be doing. I'll figure out something and edit my sheet to represent it, along with updating this post with what I'll be playing as. Sorry about this, guys.

edit: okay- since both koumei and whatever's character should be able to function as beatsticks, I'll be making a frail old man wizard. Character sheet should be up shortly. Hooray!

edit 2: So, my character spent the vast majority of his life as a clerk for a merchant back. He subsequently had a mid-life crisis, and decided he needed more adventure in his life. He scraped together his measly savings, and went to enroll in the College of Magical Historians. He envisioned a life of swashbuckling through jungles with a maiden on one arm and priceless tomes in the other, wand clenched between his teeth, with hostile lizardment in hot pursuit. Sadly, it turned out to be nothing of the sort, primarily involving staring at books for hours on end, with nary a fair, buxom, maiden to be found, barring the librarian. On the bright side, he turned out to be rather good at history, and he acquired a fondess for it. Having acquired a modicum of arcane knowledge he now spends most of his time studying obscure dynasties and staring at pot fragments. However, for some unknown reason, the Mad God has taken an interest in him, and he will soon have all the adventure he wished for, and far more besides.

sheet is here- http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=419115 - I'll edit my above post to show it.
Last edited by Korgan0 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

If you are up for a larger party, I'd be interested in joining. Maybe try a Warblade? If people are okay with adding Tome of Battle.

I've never tried PbP RP, how are you planning on handling the positioning aspects and general involved nature of 3e combat?
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Ancient History
Serious Badass

I'm not keen to be fucking about with hexes of squares, but the general environment of the Crypts of Chaos are sufficiently limited I think we can get by with descriptions, and if need be crude illustrations. If detailed positioning becomes an issue, we can break out the grid paper.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Prak_Anima wrote:the last one
Do you mean a Beast Era Pred, or a SG one? Which still begs the question, which one? The reason I ask is because the question mark was a link to the latter, so I am unsure as to which last one you refer to. On another note, my personal favorite is Rampage. Or Inferno.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Shrapnel wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:the last one
Do you mean a Beast Era Pred, or a SG one? Which still begs the question, which one? The reason I ask is because the question mark was a link to the latter, so I am unsure as to which last one you refer to. On another note, my personal favorite is Rampage. Or Inferno.
From his post and common sense, I'm pretty damn sure he meant the Beast Wars ones.

I didn't fucking even realize that the question mark had a different link.

Now let them set up their goddamn game.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Oh, it's not that I want to play a Beguiler. It's just that Beguiler makes all the other casters look like a joke, especially at level 1. But that's okay.

I did take a look at the variant rules, though, and I definitely need to swap the familiar for an animal companion. Ideally a cow, but bison isn't available until level four. I'll stick with a hunting/herding dog for now, I guess. Stats added to the character sheet.

edit: character sheet didn't save the changes for some reason. Re-updated, should be complete.
Last edited by Whatever on Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Prak_Anima wrote:One tome thing that I'd really like to put the vote, if I could, is the weapon proficiency thing.
I had a quick leaf through my copy of the tomes and couldn't find what you're talking about, could you summarize it here perchance?
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Sounds like the exploit system:
Races of War wrote:Getting proficiency with a weapon isn't worth a feat. They hand that crap out with your character class for free. Seriously, even exotic weapon proficiencies aren't a big deal. Therefore, we're instituting Exploits as something that can be acquired in-game. These are for any of the binary abilities that simply don't have a massive impact on your character's performance at any level. If you have Martial Weapon Proficiency, it's really unreasonable for it to be that hard to learn how to use a new weapon, whether it's exotic or not. If you spend a week training with a weapon, you can make an Int check (DC 10) to simply gain the Exploit of Exotic Weapon Proficiency. And no, you can't take 10 on that. If you don't have Martial Weapon Proficiency and you want to use a new weapon, that's touchier. But if you have a weapon for an entire level, you should just gain proficiency in it when you gain your next level whatever level you happen to select.
Simplified Tome Armor.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Okay, that. I think it's a pretty good idea.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

I'll allow it on a majority vote.
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

Ok, new plan. I wanna make a necromancer.

Can I use stuff from Tome of Necromancy on the condition that you can use it too?
Last edited by Dominicius on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

I vote yes - we're in a dungeon environment so I can't foresee too many opportunities to dumpster dive for odd exotic weapons.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Dominicius wrote:Ok, new plan. I wanna make a necromancer.

Can I use stuff from Tome of Necromancy on the condition that you can use it too?
Well, there's a lot of necromancy stuff already available...including the Dread Necromancer class from Heroes of Horror...but if you absolutely must use it, it goes up for a vote from the other players.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

I vote no, to be honest. Using tome stuff opens up a lot of doors that I don't think we want to go down- I don't think it would end well using the ToN and not anything else, and I don't know if we want a fully fledged tome game.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Okay, so... Since the way I originally read it was no Tome stuff of any kind under any circumstances, and now it's something about voting.

Was wondering how Totemist would work.

Could I get that class in without admitting much else for you? Because frankly, I don't want to play in a game where the DM is using a bunch of Tome stuff and the PCs aren't, and all I want to use is the Totemist class.

Also...

I think someone should just declare that they are "using" MM II-V, Fiendish Codexes, Libris Mortis, ect because I really don't see why you would want to exclude the DM from using monsters from other books.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Ancient History wrote:I'll allow it on a majority vote.
It's fine with me. Compared to simple weapons, a martial weapon ends up giving, what, +1 damage? or +2 to trips? Or a slightly better critical profile? If someone wants to take -4 to hit for a level to self-train in that, it's not a big deal. And letting fighters switch to an exotic weapon seriously doesn't matter--if you want to use bizarre double weapon #23, that's cool.

edit: my vote is no on the tome of necromancy, however.
Last edited by Whatever on Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.