[D&D3ish]Crypts of Chaos: Scouting Interest

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Cadwyn has a cloak, and his longspear could serve for a pole. But keep in mind that Mastiffs are very big dogs.

Everyone else should be able to inch along the ledge, I think, although you may have to hug the wall a bit as you go.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Seems workable. Even when everyone else has crossed, you can still just leave the pole on the stone spanning the pit and pull it over when the last person crosses.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The pit is eight feet across, meaning with a 20' running start it's DC 8 to cross, 16 without. The hallway is six feet across, meaning you could easily brace yourself against the other wall with the pole as you walk along the ledge (hold pole at angle, pressed into corner where opposite ledge meets wall).
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Whatever wrote:Korgan, I'm still confused on your math. Two spells for intelligence and one for specializing should only give you four total. Or am I crazy?
Did this ever get resolved? I get the feeling you might have accidentally used the Sorcerors starting 1st level spells of 3 rather than the Wizards 1 Korgan? It does seem like you have 2 extra spells :tongue:
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Red_Rob wrote:
Whatever wrote:Korgan, I'm still confused on your math. Two spells for intelligence and one for specializing should only give you four total. Or am I crazy?
Did this ever get resolved? I get the feeling you might have accidentally used the Sorcerors starting 1st level spells of 3 rather than the Wizards 1 Korgan? It does seem like you have 2 extra spells :tongue:
You've got to be fucking kidding me. I'm usually not this stupid, I swear to god. It has been a long time since I played 3.5, and I my group rarely played at low level, so there's my defense. Let me change my character sheet. Fuck.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Oh, that makes sense. It would explain why you don't have your free Scribe Scroll feat, too!

edit: just an ooc note, that ooze is going to wreck us pretty hard in a narrow dungeon corridor. Cadwyn doesn't know that, but if anyone does, this would be a good time to speak up!
Last edited by Whatever on Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

No, I just forgot that one too. Archibald's never dealt with this kind of thing, so he has no idea what to do.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Know: Dungeoneering is oozes, I don't think anyone has it. I can't remember what affects a Gelatinous Cube (assuming that's what it is), but I guess that'll just be an aid to acting in character!
Simplified Tome Armor.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

If this thing is really big enough to fill the shaft above, it may not fit into the branching corridors. Best to play it safe, though.

Does Olaf need to roll to toss a torch into his oil trap from outside the landing zone?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Nah.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

This should work for crossing the pit.
Last edited by Prak on Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

How many poles do we have? I only have rope.

Do we all have time to get across before the ooze reaches us?
Simplified Tome Armor.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

There is one pole, so far as I know, but, again, the pit is eight feet, the pole is ten, so it can be handed across. Also, I'm pretty sure that the ooze cannot get into the hallway.

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Unless it is a malleable ooze. If this is something other than a gelatinous cube, we can't rely on tight corridors or gratings to hold it off. And if it's really 15 by 15 feet, this thing should be able to take quite a bit of punishment.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

We have a longspear in addition to the 10' pole.

May I assume at this point that Cadwyn can see the cube? What with the soot and blaster fire and whatnot.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Yeah, no spot check necessary at this point.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Archibald gets enough XP to go up a level. Everybody else gets 150 XP.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Korgan0 wrote:"Well, I'm sure he'll be fine. Anybody else want to try their luck?"
For the record, I'm anticipating Cadwyn's odds of surviving his encounter with the Deck at about 50/50. But hey, life is cheap at first level. And he's still young enough to take stupid risks, especially since he has no idea what he's in for.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

I don't recall the odds of getting something good from the Deck, but I'd guess it's about 50/50. I suppose if you're going to run into a Deck of Many things, first level is the best time. Its not like you're risking a character you've been playing for ages and things like gaining a level or 5,000 gold (or whatever the benefits are) will have more effect.

Having said that, I think I'll give it a miss. I've never been a massive gambler and I'd feel like a chump if the first card was Death...
Simplified Tome Armor.

Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Oh, I'm not even figuring the odds of getting a net positive out of the Deck. I said "survive" and I meant it.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

I was actually stupid enough to not realize what it was until after I said "seven," when asked how many. I'm shocked I'm not dead.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Korgan0 wrote:I was actually stupid enough to not realize what it was until after I said "seven," when asked how many. I'm shocked I'm not dead.
That's awesome. Seven, wow. Archibald has huevos grandes for sure.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

He had no idea, either. He started off by listing the papers he'd been cited in, and then realized that wasn't the matter at hand.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Seven!! :eek:

Let's see, off the top of my head I seem to recall there's a Death (Fight a Death elemental), a Void (Imprisoned forever), and one that loses you a level maybe? Those would all be game over for a first level character.

I'm not sure he got off scott free though - he seems very cavalier about others risking life and limb with the Deck. I'll have to keep an eye on old Archie... :uptosomething:
Simplified Tome Armor.

Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Well. That could have gone better.