D&D Land doesn't [i]have[/i] to suck

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Well, America's been at war in every year of the 21st century, and a war in every decade of the 20th century.

That could be a dandy setting, adventurers are from a highly magical far away land, they've crossed the ocean to free the shit out of goblinkind.
kzt
Knight-Baron

Post by kzt »

The Thirty Years' War is not exactly "peacekeeping" in Bosnia. Particularly if you compare being an American civilian living in the US to a central European civilian living in the area crisscrossed every few years by the various warring armies.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Okay, so someone revived that other thread and we can continue the food-related discussions there (I'll be posting there in a bit). I assume, given the lack of criticism on any of them, that nobody takes any issue with my points on literacy rates, social instability resulting from high-level characters being a thing, and monsters cutting off almost all trade and communication between cities except that which is facilitated directly by adventurer parties (and the devastating impact that last one would have on the development pace of society)? Also, I assume that the four solutions offered are similarly without any major logical holes?

@Prak: First off, thanks for rewriting that sentence a bit. It did always seem a bit clunky and I like yours better. It's also a good point about the anal rape. Concerning deities in D&D Land, however, they don't look anything like the sort of deities you get in real, actual mythologies. Of the deities listed in the PHB, only Ehlonna and Obad-Hai have the Plant domain. Ehlonna is very likely to have her Clerics be helping out the locals, but Obad-Hai is pretty iffy. He doesn't like Ehlonna, he's Neutral, and he loves him some trees, so his Clerics might have little concern for population centers and little to gain from them. Indeed, they might be outright spiteful towards them.

@FatR: The Tippyverse might be a logical endpoint for D&D Land, but there's no reason at all to believe that a spell requiring a 17th level arcane caster with 4,500 XP to spare are necessarily going to become ubiquitous throughout all major population centers within just a few years of the spell's invention. Your average Metropolis is unlikely to have more than a single person even capable of creating a permanent teleportation circle, and even then what are the odds that one of the local 17-th level Wizard's two 9th level spell known is going to be Teleportation Circle?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Well, if you're going by core, there could always just be "Clerics of the Harvest" as cause clerics, who have Plant and Strength as their domains. During the Spring Fertility Festival, they wander around casting Plant Growth for the locals, and other than that they just help the farmers. They can cast short term strength buffs that are helpful if a stump or boulder needs to be moved, as well as be a healer if anyone is injured. Or Plant and Healing. Or Plant and Sun if they're in an area with lots of undead.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Duke Flauros
Journeyman

Post by Duke Flauros »

Chamomile wrote:Okay, so someone revived that other thread and we can continue the food-related discussions there (I'll be posting there in a bit). I assume, given the lack of criticism on any of them, that nobody takes any issue with my points on literacy rates, social instability resulting from high-level characters being a thing, and monsters cutting off almost all trade and communication between cities except that which is facilitated directly by adventurer parties (and the devastating impact that last one would have on the development pace of society)? Also, I assume that the four solutions offered are similarly without any major logical holes?
Well, if the world starts off as a reasonably okay place, what are the PC's there for anyways?
Niao! =^.^=
Mike Mearls wrote:“In some ways, it was like we told people, ‘The right way to play guitar is to play thrash metal,’” “But there’s other ways to play guitar.” “D&D is like the wardrobe people go through to get to Narnia,” “If you walk through and there’s a McDonalds, it’s like —’this isn’t Narnia.’”
Tom Lapille wrote:"As we look ahead, we are striving for clarity in both flavor and mechanics.""Our goal with most of the D&D Next rules is that they get out of the way of the action as much as possible."
Mike Mearls wrote:"Look, no one at Wizards ever woke up one day and said 'Let's get rid of all of our fans and replace them.' That was never the intent."
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

In none of the solutions offered is the world without need of saving. In option number two the world is just as crappy as the Tomes have always made it out to be, but with the stipulation that this is recent and reversible, while options three and four posit that there are some places that are terrible to live in and in need of bold heroes, but also that there are other places that aren't like that. In all of them except the first, the point is to present a world in which D&D adventures can actually take place but which is not 100% grimdark.
Last edited by Chamomile on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

Isn't this basically the point of Eberron?