Pathfinder Is Still Bad

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Duke Flauros
Journeyman

Post by Duke Flauros »

John Magnum wrote:@Duke - For self-buffs, you would create a Glyph of Whatever, then step onto it? Because just directly using spells that affect you would end Time Stop.
You would use personal buffs with a long duration first, then 24 hour time stop, then rest 8 hours. Or alter the spells range with something like ray spell. You then re-prepare all of your spells. The glyph of whatever thing is a way of getting around the "can't target enemies" not the "no personal spells clause", since the DM could argue you'd still be casting a "personal" range spell, albeit indirectly. Earthbound spell can't be used with personal range spells, and essentially allows you to turn any other spell into a landmine that lasts one hour.

While time is stopped, you could just use symbol of x/glyph of warding spells. Or you could just cart in a few kilotons of TNT. Or plant explosive runes all over the place.
Niao! =^.^=
Mike Mearls wrote:“In some ways, it was like we told people, ‘The right way to play guitar is to play thrash metal,’” “But there’s other ways to play guitar.” “D&D is like the wardrobe people go through to get to Narnia,” “If you walk through and there’s a McDonalds, it’s like —’this isn’t Narnia.’”
Tom Lapille wrote:"As we look ahead, we are striving for clarity in both flavor and mechanics.""Our goal with most of the D&D Next rules is that they get out of the way of the action as much as possible."
Mike Mearls wrote:"Look, no one at Wizards ever woke up one day and said 'Let's get rid of all of our fans and replace them.' That was never the intent."
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Okay, so, what is so good about the summoner--even restricting the game strictly to PF-original/OGL material?

I mean, the eidolin is pretty all right, but pretty all-right does not cut the mustard. Frankly, especially at mid-to-higher levels, I don't see much of an advantage to the class in the 'put beatsticks on the board' department over say, an 11th level wizard using an empower rod on their Summon Monster VI x 2 because it was contingencied for two succubi or a grip of bralani azata. Am I missing something here?
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

"Not as good as a good Wizard" isn't exactly a real condemnation, especially in Pathfailure.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

A Summoner is powerful class, but at high levels is there any real surprise that it isn't as good as a Wizard? A Summoner does get access to some of the higher level Wiz/Sorc spells, but doesn't get their list and doesn't have the Wizard's preparation mechanic. But as Koumei said, is not being as good as a Wizard really a criticism?

Summoners seem a lot closer to a summoning focused Druid, they each get their own fighter as a class feature and can spontaneously summon. If I where to dread encountering a Summoner at the table it would be that the class requires way more organization than any other class, I imagine that just one of these could bog gameplay down like nothing else.

EDIT: Summoners have a (Sp) that lets them summon, this lets them do so as a standard action. At least that's what I remember, I don't think that is still the case though.
Last edited by Juton on Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
erik
King

Post by erik »

Juton wrote: EDIT: Summoners have a (Sp) that lets them summon, this lets them do so as a standard action. At least that's what I remember, I don't think that is still the case though.
Is this a Pathfinder change from 3e? Spell-like abilities let you cast at the same speed as the spell version.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellLikeAbilities wrote: A spell-like ability takes the same amount of time to complete as the spell that it mimics (usually 1 standard action) unless otherwise stated.
Pathfinder SRD is a lot less helpful on this specific topic. "Spell-like abilities, as the name implies, are magical abilities that are very much like spells"

[edit:] ah yes, this is a pathfinder change. Found it in the Combat section. Use spell-like ability under standard actions. Yay caster edition!
Last edited by erik on Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

In defense of my memory, it was explicitly stated in the beta rules. I usually only read the beta rules when something is new because they never really seem to change things based on player feed back.
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Pathfinder Reference Document: Summon Monster I class ability wrote:Starting at 1st level, a summoner can cast summon monster I as a spell-like ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + his Charisma modifier. Drawing upon this ability uses up the same power as the summoner uses to call his eidolon. As a result, he can only use this ability when his eidolon is not summoned. He can cast this spell as a standard action and the creatures remain for 1 minute per level (instead of 1 round per level).
I was contemplating being a summoner for a new gaming group I found, so I learned a fair bit about the class in doing so. Granted, I dropped all that in favour of being a wizard when I found out that we were getting piles of downtime between adventures.
Last edited by virgil on Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

The Summoner is fucking awesomesauce and you should play that shit like yesterday. They get fantastic spells at every level and they've got a flying, pouncing, grappling member of Team Monstar around at all times. The class is a BardBarian. It's two decent classes Voltronned together into one great one with double the action economy for double the fun.

Is it less powerful than the best Wizard you can build, sure, but who the fuck gives a fuck? What kind of parameter is that? You measure a class against the opposition it will face and the Summoner would annihilate the Same Game test. Most importantly perhaps the Summoner is FUN. I mean that. Fun with a capitol F, as demonstrated earlier in this sentence. It lets you have a lot of fun, play very inventively, AND destroy level appropriate challenges. It's great and you should play it. It's the class I've had the most fun playing in years
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

The summoner isn't being compared against a wizard played to its very best. The summoner is being compared to a wizard using a suboptimal spell and ignoring the rest of its mojo. Improved in PF but still somewhat suboptimal.

The summoner stacks up sort of poorly when we're just looking at summon monster shenanigans. This is disregarding the fact that an actual played-to-the-hilt wizard would be using create undead if they were feeling like sandbagging, simacrulum and planar binding if not. Or we could compare the summoner to a buffing-focused evangelist cleric cleric. Or a vanilla druid.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:The summoner isn't being compared against a wizard played to its very best. The summoner is being compared to a wizard using a suboptimal spell and ignoring the rest of its mojo. Improved in PF but still somewhat suboptimal.
The thing is, a summoner can just straight up roll all his choices randomly - random feats, random spells, random evolutions - and still make non-casters cry.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

That's because Non-Casters aren't playing the same game. They're playing peewee league football. While the Casters are playing BloodBall.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:The summoner isn't being compared against a wizard played to its very best. The summoner is being compared to a wizard using a suboptimal spell and ignoring the rest of its mojo. Improved in PF but still somewhat suboptimal.

The summoner stacks up sort of poorly when we're just looking at summon monster shenanigans. This is disregarding the fact that an actual played-to-the-hilt wizard would be using create undead if they were feeling like sandbagging, simacrulum and planar binding if not. Or we could compare the summoner to a buffing-focused evangelist cleric cleric. Or a vanilla druid.
Well, if the Summoner does do well against level-appropriate encounters, then I still think it's useless comparing against a summoning wizard. Unless your DM throws you up against lots of wizards, who cares?
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Important question:

as a summoner can I play something like a JoJo stand user?

That is, at the minimum being able to manifest something like my spiritual/psychic energy into a physical form that can rush out and punch things.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:The summoner stacks up sort of poorly when we're just looking at summon monster shenanigans. This is disregarding the fact that an actual played-to-the-hilt wizard would be using create undead if they were feeling like sandbagging, simacrulum and planar binding if not.
In my experience, GMs and players usually veto the idea of dragging along an army in a typical adventure. So I think that's part of the appeal of the Summoner, since dragging along a (small) army is his class feature and that's somehow more palatable.
Wrathzog
Knight-Baron

Post by Wrathzog »

OgreBattle wrote:Important question:

as a summoner can I play something like a JoJo stand user?

That is, at the minimum being able to manifest something like my spiritual/psychic energy into a physical form that can rush out and punch things.
Synthesist Archetype is basically that. You don't get time stop but whatevs. You still get to be a better fighty guy than most fighty guys.

It's also the only kind of Summoner that's even remotely balanced. One of the other archetypes explicitly admits that it's kind of dumb and you shouldn't play it with other people around.
PSY DUCK?
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

RobbyPants wrote:Well, if the Summoner does do well against level-appropriate encounters, then I still think it's useless comparing against a summoning wizard. Unless your DM throws you up against lots of wizards, who cares?
That's 4E D&D logic.

Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
RobbyPants wrote:Well, if the Summoner does do well against level-appropriate encounters, then I still think it's useless comparing against a summoning wizard. Unless your DM throws you up against lots of wizards, who cares?
That's 4E D&D logic.
Um, what?
P.C. Hodgell wrote:That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
shadzar wrote:i think the apostrophe is an outdated idea such as is hyphenation.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:That's 4E D&D logic.
No, that's the 3e DMG's logic. That some classes exceed or fall short of the expectations is not condemnation of those classes that meet them.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

NineInchNall wrote:
Lago PARANOIA wrote:That's 4E D&D logic.
No, that's the 3e DMG's logic. That some classes exceed or fall short of the expectations is not condemnation of those classes that meet them.
Yeah, basically this.

Lago, I don't even know what the fuck you're talking about anymore.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Well, if you're the Summoner, and someone else is playing a Wizard, then you might care.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

sabs wrote:Well, if you're the Summoner, and someone else is playing a Wizard, then you might care.
I could see that, but this was in context to Lago's original question of "what's so good about the summoner", followed by answers of why they're both competent and fun, followed by "but they're not as good as a wizard!".

It seems like a bit of a non sequitur to me.

Like NiN said, whether or not another class is overpowered is a separate issue from the summoner's design.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

If said overpowered class is a core class. Then maybe the problem IS in the summoner's design. Course, the fighter is a core class.

Really the Wizard/Druid/Cleric should be the benchmark, not the outliers.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

NineInchNail wrote:No, that's the 3e DMG's logic. That some classes exceed or fall short of the expectations is not condemnation of those classes that meet them.
RobbyPants wrote:Yeah, basically this.

Lago, I don't even know what the fuck you're talking about anymore.

What's so hard to understand? In 4E D&D, there are very few classes or class combinations that as long as you have at least 1 leader/four people can't take on level appropriate opposition. Nonetheless, the fact remains that a mid-level damaged-optimized monk does about a third of the damage of a mid-level damage-optimized wizard.

The SAME game test is a necessary but not sufficient standard of judging character viability and just because a class passes it doesn't mean that you should start saying that 'WotC made a good class!'. It's still significantly worse than about a third of the classes in the original SRD. When you start heaping praise on Pathfinder for releasing 'not as shitty as it could've otherwise been', you're enabling WotC and Pathfinder to crow that their game is more balanced and they released good classes just because they lowered the difficulty and everyone gets a participation trophy. Which is exactly what 4E D&D does and did.

The best arguments I've heard for summoner is that it lets you sandbag more conveniently and is easier for people to stealth-optimize. Regardless of how the class actually performs, that is not a quality people should be celebrating.

Slade
Knight

Post by Slade »

deanruel87 wrote:The Summoner is fucking awesomesauce and you should play that shit like yesterday.
On that they get SM 4 as a 3rd level spell, as well as Haste/slow as 2nd.
Worship Asmodeus and you can summon 1d4+1 Hell hounds*. Not to mention they spell-like summoning ability.

They get a magical ball of force reducing all damage as a 2nd level spell (coverts 5 lethal you take from any source to nonlethal) dur 1hr/lv.
And +2 Armor bonus, but mage armor provides 4 so the armor bonus uis only there is someone dispel Mage armor.

*(if you worship Asmodeus you can summon hell hounds with your Summon Monster 2 in Pathfinder, any "priest" either wizards, summoners, etc)

If you focus excelusively on summoning, Master summoner grants better use/day and augment summoning for summons. Lose Eidolon full progression though.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Apparently a number of people have called the shenanigans on the Summoner's spell list, as it now allows for wands of magic jar, major creation, planar binding (lesser), & wall of stone. I'm not sure how I feel about it, because one of those wands are worth nearly 38k
Last edited by virgil on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!