[Class] Shapeshifter

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Ice9
Duke

[Class] Shapeshifter

Post by Ice9 »

So - everyone likes shapeshifting, but Polymorph has generally been a bucket of fail. Therefore, I'm trying to make a Shapeshifter class that doesn't rely on dumpster diving, allows you to do the stuff you'd expect a Shapeshifter to do, and pulls its weight.

However, it turns out this is rather a complex endeavor - long story short, I have no fucking idea if this is really balanced or people would want to play it. Hopefully you do, and you can pause between insults long enough to give some useful feedback on that point.

I think this probably could go up to 20th level, but for now I'm focusing on the first 10. While I'd like this to work with multiclassing, that's not my primary concern - go ahead and mention anything broken though. Also, I feel like the ability lists might be a little sparse right now, so if you have more ideals for inclusions then post them. Without further delay:

Shapeshifter
"Quote goes here"

A Shapeshifter is a master of forms, able to assume almost any shape. Unlike spells such as polymorph, the Shapeshifter is not limited to the forms and abilities of existing creatures, although they can choose to mimic them. Also, they can pull off T-1000/Venom style shit while their stamina lasts.

Hit Die: d12
Class Skills: Acrobatics, Bluff, Climb, Disguise, Escape Artist, Fly, Intimidate, Knowledge (local, nature, planes), Perception, Stealth, Survival, Swim
Skill Points/Level: 4 + Int
BAB: Medium, Saves: Good Fort and Reflex

Level, Abilities:
1 Shapeshifting, Physical Improvement, Basic Abilities
2 Shift Size, Morph Initiate
3 Extended Shapeshifting, Item Bond
4 Quick Shifting, Physical Improvement
5 Shift Size, Expert Abilities
6 Morph Adept
7 Diverse Shapeshifting, Physical Improvement, Item Hoarder
8 Instant Shifting, Shift Size, Advanced Abilities
9 Morph Master
10 Limitless Shapeshifting, Physical Improvement, Master Abilities

Shapeshifting: As a standard action, the Shapeshifter can change shape to any humanoid form. When doing so, it can select the effect of any Shifting abilities it has available. Gear that no longer fits merges into its body and becomes inert. The Shapeshifter gains a +10 bonus to Disguise to resemble the new form.

Physical Improvement: When changing form, the Shapeshifter gains a +4 bonus, divided as they wish among their physical ability scores. This improves by +2 at 4th, 7th, and 10th level.

Basic Abilities: When changing form, the Shapeshifter can select three abilities, plus one for every three levels. Abilities cannot be selected twice unless stated otherwise.
* Gain a natural attack (bite, claws, tail slap, wings, etc). This does standard damage for your size.
* Trip or Grab, as the monster ability, on natural attacks
* Grow quills which can be shot as a ranged attack, increment 40', standard claw damage.
* +2 natural armor
* resistance 5 to one type of energy
* +8 to Escape Artist.
* Endure elements, as the spell
* +10' to movement speed, +2 to Acrobatics
* swim 20', and water breathing
* climb 20', +8 to Climb
* darkvision 60', low-light vision, or scent
* Gain a bonus equal to your level to Stealth checks
* Gain a bonus of twice your level to Stealth checks when standing still
Shift Size: At 2nd level, when changing form, the Shapeshifter can become one size category larger or smaller. For every size larger, they gain +2 to Strength and -2 to Dexterity. For every size smaller, they gain the reverse. At 5th level they can change by two size categories, and at 8th by three.

Morph Initiate: At 2nd level, the Shapeshifter learns to harness their shifting ability to produce more sudden and potent changes than normally possible. This does, however, consume more stamina. The Shapeshifter gains a Stamina pool equal to half their level + their Con bonus. The pool refills with five minutes of rest. When out of Stamina, the Shapeshifter can still use Morph abilities, but takes a point of Con damage each time. Morph abilities are a free action and can only be used once a round unless stated otherwise.
* Gain an Ability for one round.
* Triple your reach for one attack.
* Take an extra move action.
* Fortify yourself against an attack, reducing damage by [Level + Con bonus]. Immediate action.
* Wrap around an enemy that hits you, initiating a grapple. Immediate action.
* Heal damage equal to [Level + Con bonus]. Standard action.
Extended Shapeshifting: At 3rd level, the Shapeshifter can assume any living form with a skeletal system. Also, while they still need a Disguise check to look like a particular individual, there's no way to tell by appearance that they aren't the species in question. Their internal organs become more mobile, giving them light fortification.

Item Bond: At 3rd level, the Shapeshifter can benefit from the magic properties of one item that's melded into their form. This is in addition to anything they can wear, but it still takes up the slot.

Quick Shifting: At 4th level, the Shapeshifter can change shape as a move action.

Expert Abilities: At 5th level, the Shapeshifter can grow better abilities.
* Gain two natural attacks. Replaces the basic ability.
* Gain injury poison on your natural weapons. Stats: 1d3 to one physical, duration 6 rounds, one save.
* Spit contact poison, range 30'. Same stats as above.
* Gain a rake attack.
* Gain a grab and constrict attack.
* Gain a bite with a blood drain attack when grappling; it deals 1 point of Con damage, you heal 5 hp.
* Extend your reach by 5' (10 if Huge+).
* Gain a stench aura; 20' radius, sickens, immune after successful save.
* +4 natural armor
* fast healing 2
* DR 5 / slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning (choose one).
* +20' to movement speed, +8 to Acrobatics
* swim 40', and water breathing.
* climb 40', +8 to Climb
* fly 40' (average)
* burrow 30'
* blindsense 30'
* darkvision 90', or superior low-light vision
Morph Adept: At 6th level, the Shapeshifter learns more uses of their morphic abilities, and their Stamina pool increases to level + Con modifier.
* Engulf a foe you successfully grapple. They are pinned, cannot see or breathe, and you block line of effect to/from them. The engulfment lasts until you release them, but if they break the grapple they can attack you from inside (you are Dex 0 against this).
* Take an extra attack action.
* Squeeze yourself through a gap of any size.
* Negate a critical hit or precision damage. Immediate action.
* Spit acid, dealing 1d6/level in a 30' cone or 60' line. Attack action.
* Escape any binding or grapple.
Diverse Shapeshifting: At 7th level, the Shapeshifter can assume any living form. By this point, they're becoming a mass of mutable protoplasm and gain some Ooze-like traits - heavy fortification, immunity to disease and stunning, and they can digest any organic matter.

Item Hoarder: At 7th level, the Shapeshifter can use any number of items (subject to the normal slot limits) that are melded into their form. In fact, they can have a bunch of items melded, as many as would fit in a Bag of Holding, and switch between them whenever they shapeshift.

Instant Shifting: At 8th level, once per round, the Shapeshifter can change shape as a free action.

Advanced Abilities: At 8th level, the Shapeshifter can grow even better abilities:
* Pounce
* Gain a rend attack
* Gain a trample attack
* Gain a tongue attack. It does not damage but has triple reach and the Grab ability.
* Gain a swallow whole attack, as the monster ability.
* Grow an extra pair of arms.
* Gain a web attack, as the monster ability.
* Be covered in contact poison, same stats as the Expert ability.
* +6 natural armor
* regeneration 5 (disintegration) or fast healing 5.
* resistance 10 to two energy types.
* DR 5/adamantine
* No need to breathe, and endure elements (as the spell)
* +30' to movement speed, +8 to Acrobatics, triple jumping distance
* swim 90', and water breathing
* spider-climb 60'
* fly 60' (good)
* blindsense 60', or blindsight 30'
Morph Master: At 9th level, the Shapeshifter learns yet more uses of their morphic ability, and their Stamina recovers with a full-round of concentration.
* Shapeshift as an immediate action.
* Bud off a duplicate. It has your stats, 1/4 your hp, but can only take move actions. It lasts for one minute.
* Instead of dying, drop to -10 (if not already lower) and enter suspended animation until you reach positive hp.
* Go into stasis for one round, becoming immune to anything that only works on living creatures. Standard action.
* Meld with a living creature at least one size larger than you. It doesn't detect your presence (unless it saw you do this). You cannot take actions while melded, but can see through the creature's senses. You can break the meld as a free action, shifting into an adjacent square. If the creature knows of your presence, it can try to evict you with a Fortitude save, once per hour.
* Assimilate a living creature. Make a touch attack. If it succeeds, the creature takes 1d6/level damage and must make a Fortitude save. If they fail, they are absorbed completely by you. They cannot be resurrected, but a Wish can release them (or you can choose to do so). You gain +10 to Disguise to impersonate the absorbed creature.
Limitless Shapeshifting: At 10th level, the Shapeshifter can assume any form, including that of an inanimate object. They also become an Ooze, gain all Ooze traits except Mindless and Blind, can fit through gaps of any size, and gain Regeneration 1 (disintegration).

Master Abilities: At 10th level, the Shapeshifter can grow truly excellent abilities:
* Gain four natural attacks. Replaces the Expert ability.
* Gain injury poison on your natural weapons. Stats: paralysis 1 round, duration 6 rounds, one save.
* Gain injury poison on your natural weapons. Stats: 1d4 to one physical, duration 6 rounds, two saves. Replaces expert ability.
* Spit contact poison, same stats. Replaces expert ability.
* Grow three extra pairs of arms.
* Gain rock throwing and rock catching, as the monster abilities.
* resistance 20 to two energy types.
* hardness 5
* +60' to movement speed, no terrain penalties, +8 to Acrobatics, triple jumping distance
* fly 90' (good)
* burrow 60' and tremorsense 90'
* blindsight 60'
Last edited by Ice9 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

So I can totally be a flying closet with teeth and claws? Awesome.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Not till 10th level :)
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Do you select abilities each time you morph, or every time you hit a level divisible by 3?
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

Each time you morph. The 3 + Level / 3 is the maximum number you can have at once.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

I did some work on a shapeshifter class. Not sure if that's helpful; you seem to have gotten the important bits.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

I took a look and snagged some abilities from yours. Hopefully I put them at the right levels. I guess the next step is to actually benchmark this class a bit and see if the balance is roughly correct.
Last edited by Ice9 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fenrisulfr
1st Level

Post by Fenrisulfr »

Level 4's kinda dead, innit? Every other level you can do something new, whether that be a new tier of abilities/morphs or new shiftable forms, but at level 4 you just get a floating +2 to an ability score and shifting as a move action, neither of which allow you to do anything particularly new or interesting.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Fenrisulfr wrote:Level 4's kinda dead, innit? Every other level you can do something new, whether that be a new tier of abilities/morphs or new shiftable forms, but at level 4 you just get a floating +2 to an ability score and shifting as a move action, neither of which allow you to do anything particularly new or interesting.
Shifting as a move action allows you to shift and then attack, which gives you the benefit of shifting while in a fight to adapt to your enemies without giving up your valuable damage.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.