codeGlaze
Duke

Sticks and Stones RPG

Post by codeGlaze »

Have any of you heard of it?
If you have, have you rad through it?
Thoughts?

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/105177/St ... e-Free-RPG
Last edited by codeGlaze on Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Magnum
Knight-Baron

Post by John Magnum »

Nightingale Publishing wrote: Sticks & Stones features an improve-as-you-go experience system. No more downtime leveling up characters or being restricted to a class system. Whatever your character spends the most time doing is where they'll improve. Races are fully customizable through a easy-to-follow point buy system that can create uncountable combinations. The common-sense combat rules include weapon speeds, simultaneous character and monster actions in given combat cycles, stamina system to account for wide usage of powerful abilities and fighting techniques. Magick is fully customizable with traits designed to put the affect and effect of each spell into the hands of the player and so much more. For Storytellers, everything is streamlined to allow for improvised monster, treasure, traps and other challenges without having too much down time.
This probably sounded like pretty hot shit like thirty years ago when Steve Jackson first proposed it.

Also, wait, hang on
Nightingale Publishing wrote:The common-sense combat rules include weapon speeds, simultaneous character and monster actions in given combat cycles
That's great.
-JM
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

:p
I recognize the similarities to GURPs... but I always walk away from GURPS unsatisfied.
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

Nightingale Publishing wrote:Magick is fully customizable with traits designed to put the affect and effect of each spell into the hands of the player and so much more.
That's... not... what... *EYETWITCH* words... mean...
erik
King

Post by erik »

Zaranthan wrote:
Nightingale Publishing wrote:Magick is fully customizable with traits designed to put the affect and effect of each spell into the hands of the player and so much more.
That's... not... what... *EYETWITCH* words... mean...
Magick is fully customizable with traits designed to put the appearance and result of each spell into the hands of the player and so much more.

I think that's acceptable usage of the words. Your just being to picky.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

codeGlaze wrote::p
I recognize the similarities to GURPs... but I always walk away from GURPS unsatisfied.
Well this seems like GURPS, only with a combat system worse than GURPS', and nothing that's really better than GURPS.

But I can't really be damned to look that ruleset over more, so I suppose you can take what I say with a grain of salt.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:
codeGlaze wrote::p
Well this seems like GURPS, only with a combat system worse than GURPS', and nothing that's really better than GURPS.

But I can't really be damned to look that ruleset over more, so I suppose you can take what I say with a grain of salt.
Unfortunately I'm getting that feeling, too.
I think the guy's heart is in the right place but the execution...
MfA
Knight-Baron

Post by MfA »

Does GURPS have simultaneous combat actions? (ie everyone decides their actions and the gm makes a cohesive whole out of the clusterfuck at the end.)
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Disappointed that this isn't an RPG were you play as a caveman.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I think this might be the first GURPS-based fantasy heartbreaker I've heard of.

-Username17
ModelCitizen
Knight-Baron

Post by ModelCitizen »

Leress wrote:Disappointed that this isn't an RPG were you play as a caveman.
Heh, I expected a playground-bullying simulator.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

I expected a rules like system that used rocks and twigs instead of dice, somehow.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

hyzmarca wrote:I expected a rules like system that used rocks and twigs instead of dice, somehow.
With how pissed off some nerds can get over in-game shenanigans... that could be deadly.