[3.5ish] Gestalt Characters game - anyone interested?

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

I'll be back in the states by september, so that'll make my schedule a lot easier.
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

Okay, I'm going to try to be on IRC at:
11AM GMT on Sunday Jul 26 and on Sunday Sep 2

and we'll see how that works out.

I figure we can do a "welcome to town" scenario w/out Arran, and then an who-are-those-guys-trying-to-kill-the-gnome extended fight sequence while Malak is busy with religious matters.

Mainly, I want to get the wrinkles worked out of doing this stuff on IRC with this group, so I'd let to get into a couple of test fights with generic mooks.
Chaosium rules are made of unicorn pubic hair and cancer. --AncientH
When you talk, all I can hear is "DunningKruger" over and over again like you were a god damn Pokemon. --Username17
Fuck off with the pony murder shit. --Grek
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Urgh... I think I was an idiot... how long are you thinking for this Sunday?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

It should be quite short. Its a dry run as I havent run any games on IRC for a couple years. Im aware you have to run a game in the next time slot. :)
When you talk, all I can hear is "DunningKruger" over and over again like you were a god damn Pokemon. --Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

well, more than that, that's 3am for me...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

7am here. Still, I can probably manage it.
FrankTrollman wrote:We had a history and maps and fucking civilization, and there were countries and cities and kingdoms. But then the spell plague came and fucked up the landscape and now there are mountains where there didn't used to be and dragons with boobs and no one has the slightest idea of what's going on. And now there are like monsters everywhere and shit.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

9pm here. I should be able to make it. I have an RDO on Monday the 3rd, which will make me available to play later on that day.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Yeah, that's 7 am for me as well. I could probably swing it, but if I'm not there at game-start I'm probably fast asleep and not likely to wake up for a while, so you can probably go on without me.
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

Okay, think I have my Internet situation figured out for next month, so I should be good for Sept 2.
FrankTrollman wrote:We had a history and maps and fucking civilization, and there were countries and cities and kingdoms. But then the spell plague came and fucked up the landscape and now there are mountains where there didn't used to be and dragons with boobs and no one has the slightest idea of what's going on. And now there are like monsters everywhere and shit.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

It has been a while since I have used IRC. PM me the server and group details.

I can try and dig up some old die rolling apps and find a grid app that some PF group made for combat positioning if you like.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

God. Damnit. I start class on monday and I've been trying to dial my sleep schedule back...

For die rolling and grid app, fuck irc, just use roll20.

DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

I just realized that as I'm in Montana at a conference rather than at home:
1) It's 2 hours earlier here and
2) I don't have my books b/c I'm not at home.
3) The internet at this hotel is really lousy.

So at best we'll have a very truncated session; if you don't see me on IRC, it could mean I've fallen back to sleep or that the hotel internet is down again -
network: irc.freenode.net
channel: #DrPraetorsGame
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

roll20 really is better. There's already a rollbot, using /roll [x]d[y]+[z] or /gmroll for secret gm rolls, and there's a very easy grid that can be used. But it's up to Mr. DM.

DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

I like roll20 so far - simple, intuitive interface - but I'm not able to play in and run in the same game, so I'm not quite sure what the players are getting.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

no one having to find and figure out grid apps and dicebots?
Also, I have never been able to figure out how to use anything than a web interface to use IRC. Which... freenode apparently doesn't have?
Last edited by Prak on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So, at the moment, I'm assuming Praetor's internet DC'd. Unless I find out otherwise, I'm heading to bed in about twenty minutes.

DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

Well, you should get kvIRC.

I'm going back to sleep, but I like roll20 so far:
https://app.roll20.net/join/33490/FgIiiw

EDIT: But I'm going back to sleep. We'll try again in September when things should be a bit more settled for people.
Last edited by DrPraetor on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

*Gets up at 6:30 AM*

*Sees Praetor isn't on*

*Goes back to sleep*
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

I'm not completely au fait with running apps, but KVirc makes it pretty simple once they are configured, at least when it comes to dice rolling. Manually setting up shortcuts for the more common rolls can be tedious, but not as tedious as writing out the algorithm every single time.

The alternative to having your client handle all of those expressions is to run a bot that logs into the channel and handles all of the roll commands. I'm not sure what freenode allows though.

The grid app would only be to track positions in combat, which is not really a neccesary thing. I'm just used to a battlemap or tiles when tabletop gaming. Even then, it's mainly for the benefit of short range/melee combat. An example is here, though to be honest, I have not run anything like it before and roll20's interface is a lot prettier.

So, I'll vote for investigating roll20 further. It would probably prevent a lot of technical drama, while still allowing for the chat utility that would be required for handling the majority of the game.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Sorry, guys, but I'll have to bow out of this campaign. This is looking to be a pretty busy semester for me, and I don't think I'll have the time to fully devote to this. Sorry, guys.
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

Oy, that is a shame. Good luck with your classes, but remember that no-one gives a shit how well you do! Least of all your professors, I can say that with confidence.

And I'm going to be at a wedding the weekend of the 7th.

We can try something this weekend; but I think the weekend of the 14th is a more reasonable target. I will update the
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

So... are we doing something today-ish? That's in just over 7 hours, if it's happening, but I've seen no confirmations, and instead seen Korgan drop, so...
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

I'm going to try again for the 16th of September (that's in two weeks.)