Help a noob learn Dom3!

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Hmm, MA...

- Ermor
- Phytium
- Bandar Log
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

so to recap:

Capn wishes to play:

MA- Man or Ermor
LA- Midgard

Luckyfortune:

MA- Caelum
LA- Mictlan

DSM:

MA- R'Lyeh or Abyssia
LA- Patala

MS:

MA- Jotun, Pan or Bakkebonos
LA-Atlantis, TC or Bogarus

Korwin:

MA-Ermor Pythium or BL

So far 6 players. Preference for MA, normal settings with around 20 provinces per player on a wraparound map.

First map that comes to mind is Blackwald, which is a decent enough map with a fair amount of water provinces.

Have I missed anything?
luckyfortune
1st Level

Post by luckyfortune »

nope looks good =)
Good luck everyone..
hehe
"May the winds of Good Fortune, Flow our way.."
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Someone will have to show me how to connect.

But I have no map preference.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

CapnTthePirateG wrote:Someone will have to show me how to connect.

But I have no map preference.
Unless Winnah is planning something different, you'll be sending your turn files to a server who'll process the turns for everyone.
Drago0661
Master

Post by Drago0661 »

If you don't mind one more, I'm keen to play.

MA:
Shinuyama

LA:
Marignon
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

I think hosting the game on llamaserver would be best. I have little experience with sirect connection games od dom3 and while there are resources available for hosting fast, blitz style games, they may not be the best format for an introductory MP game.

With that in mind, here is a basic SOP for llamaserver hosted games

I possess below average written communication skills, so if you would like me to go into greater detail, don't be backward in coming forward.

Step 1.

Create your pretender:

Run Dom 3. Select Game Tools from the menu. Select Create a Pretender God.

Choose the nation and era you wish to play, then customise your pretender to your liking.

Step 2.

Uploading your pretender to llamaserver:

Your pretender will be saved in your .../dominions3/savedgames/newlords folder. The file will not have the name you gave your pretender, instead it will have the era, nation and a number. It should look like "mid_pangaea_0.2h", indicating in this example that it is a middle era pretender for Pangaea.

Once you have that, mail the file, as an attachment, to pretenders@llamaserver.net, with the name of the game in the subject line. Only the attached file and the subject line matter, the text of the message can be whatever you wish.

eg. For a game named 'ProvingGrounds' you would have provinggrounds in the subject line. You'll receive a confirmation e-mail when your turn has been accepted.

Step 3.

Receiving and playing your first turn:

Once the game has started, you will recieve your first turn, as an attachment to mail from llamaserver.

You will need to go back to the .../dominions/savedgames folder and create a new folder. Put the attached file into that folder.

Then run Dominions3, select Play an Existing Game from the menu, and there will be a game with the name of your new folder. Select that, play your turn and when you are happy, End turn or Save Game and Quit. You can come back and tinker with your turn at any time, or even start that turn anew if you make a mistake (like deleting a magic item or alchemising the wrong gems).

eg. I'll create a folder called "ProvingGrounds" and place the mid_pangaea.trn file in that folder. When I run Dom3, there will be a game called ProvingGrounds I can play.

Step 4.

Sending your completed turn:

Exit the game. Go back into the new folder your created. There will now be two files there, one with the extension .trn and one with the extension .2h

Mail the .2h file as an attachment to turns@llamaserver.net, with the name of the game in the subject line. You will receive a confirmation mail once it has been accepted.

eg. I'll go into the Provingrounds folder I created, there will now be 2 files there; mid_pangaea.trn and mid_pangaea.2h

I'll send an email to turns@llamaserver.net with Provingrounds in the subject line and mid_pangaea.2h as an attached file.

Step 5.
Continuing the game:

Once everyone has submitted their turns and the turn has hosted, you will receive a new message from llamaserver. It will be a new .trn file.
Go back into your new saved game folder and replace the old .trn file with the new one. When you run dominions and play, you will see how your turn played out.
When you have completed your new turn, simply go back to Step 4 and repeat the procedure.

Step 6.

Maps and Mods:

Not worth going into at this point, but it is as simple as putting files into your .../dominions3/maps or .../dominions3/mods folder, and in the case of mods, activating the mod in My Preferences.

Those are the basics. Sorry if the SOP came across as condescending, I just wanted to be sure I did not miss anything. I am sure someone will correct any mistakes I may have made and be willing to answer any questions or help you with troubleshooting any issues that arise.

Let me know if you would like any advice in designing your Pretender God or working on strategies in game. Myself or others will be willing to assist you.

I'm probably going to pick Pangaea unless someone else wants it, so I'll be sure to provide you with plenty of chaff troops you can use for target practice.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Oh, no, that was perfect. Thanks.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

I'll put up another thread for the game later on this evening. I will not start the game until I get a confirmation from everyone and check the map.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Then I'll put in my confirmation.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Confirmed also. Jotunheim's a go-go, I guess?
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

@Mister_Sinister: I don't think anyone's contesting it.

I'll be R'lyeh, then. First time playing an aquatic nation in MP.

Unless the map sucks for that, I actually haven't looked yet. Maybe I should. No one snatched my second pick, though, so I'm good either way.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Confirming continued interest.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

DSMatticus wrote:@Mister_Sinister: I don't think anyone's contesting it.

I'll be R'lyeh, then. First time playing an aquatic nation in MP.

Unless the map sucks for that, I actually haven't looked yet. Maybe I should. No one snatched my second pick, though, so I'm good either way.
So DSM, you'll be watching people while they sleep? :tongue:
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

The link to the original blackwald map is dead. 132 land, 39 sea

I have a copy, but i'll need to fix some connections, startsites and upload it again.

I don't have an issue with aquatic nations. It's a learning game after all, so learning how to deal with UW factions should prove educational. The only issue is that a number of those sea provinces are in a big cluster.

The only other wraparound map that comes close to the desired specs is Desert Eye. 108 land, 17 sea. That would come out to roughly 16 land provinces per player, with 17 aquatic provinces for R'Lyeh. Whether it works out like that remains to be seen.

Only other thing that needs to be determined is victory conditions. VP's add another level of complexity to the game, so I would suggest avoiding them.

Perhaps we should simply set a 60-70 turn limit for the game. If there is no clear leader by that time and people wish to fight it out to the bitter end, then players can continue.

Think it over, I'll set up the game thread in a few hours, once everyone else (Luckyfortune, Korwin, Drago) has checked in and confirmed their participation, i'll set the game up on llamaserver.
luckyfortune
1st Level

Post by luckyfortune »

Hehe im keen!! i may need the map though and my luck3 hehe :-)
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

If we use the Desert Eye map, you will not need to download a new map.

I'll go ahead and create a new game. I can always abandon and start afresh if the map is not to everyones liking.
luckyfortune
1st Level

Post by luckyfortune »

Sry were do i download the map?
Drago0661
Master

Post by Drago0661 »

Confirming my interest, let's get this game going.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

luckyfortune wrote:Sry were do i download the map?
You will already have the map with your copy of dominions. No need to download it.
Soyweiser
NPC

Post by Soyweiser »

Winnah wrote:The link to the original blackwald map is dead. 132 land, 39 sea
http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Blackwald has a working link.