Goin' back to school

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Goin' back to school

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Well, the plan is to go back full time in a decade when I'm living in Norway, but for the moment, having my sister-in-law living with us and starting college has made my wife and I want to start taking a few classes here and there.

I wanted to run this by the reasonably knowledgeable people here in the Den. I remember at one point hearing about programs for children of Vietnam veterans, where you'd essentially get one class per term paid for. I've got two Vietnam vet dads (one of whom is 100% disabled) so that part is covered. I'm also hoping that I can get some sort of "adult incentive" or something.

So far I've only done a very cursory googling of this, and I'm sure I'll have to make a trip down to the college soon, but I figured if anyone had recent experience with this and had any helpful tips, that would be great. Thanks in advance!
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

As a now full-time employee of the Unversity of Pittsburgh I have to say - WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT PAY TO ATTEND CLASSES HERE!!! aside from a few very specific majors or massive amounts of luck you will incur more in debt than the education will increase your earning potential.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Well, since I live in Oregon and plan to never visit Pittsburgh outside of playing Fallout 3, I guess I'm safe.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

No love for The Last of Us, Gamma World, Bureau 13 or XCrawl ?
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Not recently, no. ;)
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

In general, yes, you want to avoid the debt trap as much as possible.

At the current prices, college coursework only makes sense if you're going for a specific job that requires the degree, and you have a very good chance of getting that degree within a 6 year timeframe. Past that, the math just doesn't add up, you're better off scrubbing toilets.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

...or unless you don't have to pay for it. A fair number of jobs have education benefits, which are not always well advertised. If you're buying a prestigious degree though, make sure it's actually prestigious. Harvard is worth the arm and leg they leave you for the name and reputation. Most places aren't.

If you just want to take classes for fun, look at https://www.coursera.org/ . You can also look at Stanford's online listing (http://www.stanford.edu/online/courses/index.html ), which is mostly, but not entirely Coursera, and I think MIT has something similar but don't know where. iTunesU is also surprisingly good, though there's a lot of surprisingly bad as well.

I would avoid any recent events courses online. They will only lead to rage. I started taking this one: https://class.coursera.org/healthpolicy ... lass/index , but ragequit when it (a) freely mixed and matched correlation and causation, and (b) failed statistics. (The reasoning went like http://xkcd.com/759/)
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

You might be able to find some stuff to keep yourself busy on http://www.noexcuselist.com/

It's got a link to a bunch of major universities open projects: Yale, MIT, Stanford, etcetera.

It'll also give you a decent sense of what you're getting yourself into.

As for free courses, you can probably get them, but not being in the states, I don't know how.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Oh, I'm definitely not getting into debt. No sir.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Ikeren wrote:You might be able to find some stuff to keep yourself busy on http://www.noexcuselist.com/

It's got a link to a bunch of major universities open projects: Yale, MIT, Stanford, etcetera.

It'll also give you a decent sense of what you're getting yourself into.

As for free courses, you can probably get them, but not being in the states, I don't know how.
The perfect excuse is that they all seem to use fucking itunes. So the cost of education is now an apple rootkit.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Few things grind my gears more than having a long-dead thread that I nonetheless held an interest in getting bumped by a fucking bot. :hatin: One that can't even use the Facetious Smile smilie correctly.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I do love the fact that we have a cursing bot. Of course, I'm not sure if "fucking" is the curse word or "apple rootkit."
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

No we don't Cynic. We have a bot who copies bits of the previous post to seem relevant. Which is still probably a step up from random bullshit spam bots.
CatharzGodfoot wrote:The perfect excuse is that they all seem to use fucking itunes. So the cost of education is now an apple rootkit.
Michaeljohn wrote:seem to use fucking itunes. So the cost of education is now an apple rootkit.
Emphasis added.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."