NaNoWriMo 2012

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

JigokuBosatsu
Prince

NaNoWriMo 2012

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Anyone doing it? Here I am if you want to buddy up or anything.

If so, what is everyone writing? I'm going back to the musical well, hoping to combine Sid & Nancy, Nancy & Lee, A Star Is Born, 9 Songs, etc. into a big ball of musical dysfunction.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

My wife is, but I don't know the specifics of what she's using, yet.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Negatory. I have the Unpublishable, my Mythos essay, and my latest writing project. I'm swamped.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

I'm doing something in the spirit of NaNoWriMo, but it's not a novel. Instead, I'm writing a whole game in a month, using an unfamiliar programming language (Clojure, in case anyone cares).
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I'm too busy (and not doing much work on any of those things keeping me busy) as it is. I did it once, that's good enough for me.

With any luck, Tzor won't return from the far realm to whore out his NaNo (and then stay around and engage in round 3). IIRC that's how he came back the first time.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I'm curious as to what this is all about. I'm a wannabe aspiring writer myself (or so I like to think).
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Since Tzor got a terminal case of butthurt and left we need another narcissistic man-child with retarded sexuality to write a novel, and since Kaelik is busy I'm volunteering.

I'm writing "Someone Is Searching For That Fuck I Never Gave". It's an anthology of short stories from my life. I'm sure everyone is waiting with baited breath, or something.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm writing "Someone Is Searching For That Fuck I Never Gave". It's an anthology of short stories from my life. I'm sure everyone is waiting with baited breath, or something.
Will buy this e-book for $0.99
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:

I'm writing "Someone Is Searching For That Fuck I Never Gave". It's an anthology of short stories from my life. I'm sure everyone is waiting with baited breath, or something.
Seems appropriate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85cL1HisrNc
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

To fill in my first post: my wife is using her second novel in a series of three she's writing.

Koumei wrote:With any luck, Tzor won't return from the far realm to whore out his NaNo (and then stay around and engage in round 3). IIRC that's how he came back the first time.
It was my NPR thread. He even referred to himself as "crawling out of the woodwork". It makes me wonder how long he was lurking before he posted again, or if that was just a huge coincidence.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Shrapnel wrote:I'm curious as to what this is all about. I'm a wannabe aspiring writer myself (or so I like to think).
Well, in case you hadn't decided to google it, for whatever reason, NaNoWriMo is a challenge where you write a 50000 word novel in the month of November. This is my first time doing it, though I have done the 3Day Novel challenge twice, which is basically the same except you have... three days to do it.

How to start writing? Just do it. Resign yourself to the fact that you will be terrible, probably for years. Also, read lots of your favorite kinds of books, and then read a bunch of stuff that isn't your favorite.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Well, this year I do have a pretty good excuse for not attempting NaNoWriMo.

Anybody else catch how Penny Arcade linked to that site with my weekly column on the front page yesterday? :D
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

JigokuBosatsu wrote:
Shrapnel wrote:I'm curious as to what this is all about. I'm a wannabe aspiring writer myself (or so I like to think).
Well, in case you hadn't decided to google it, for whatever reason, NaNoWriMo is a challenge where you write a 50000 word novel in the month of November. This is my first time doing it, though I have done the 3Day Novel challenge twice, which is basically the same except you have... three days to do it.

How to start writing? Just do it. Resign yourself to the fact that you will be terrible, probably for years. Also, read lots of your favorite kinds of books, and then read a bunch of stuff that isn't your favorite.
Ah, I see. I might try it.

I have a long standing rivalry with Google, mainly because I don't trust any company whose corporate motto is "Don't be evil". Anyone who has to say that is clearly up to something.

edit:
Hmm... When I visit the site, I can get to the homepage alright, but whenever I click on something, I get this:
Error 503 Service Unavailable

Service Unavailable

Guru Meditation:

XID: 1784841878

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Varnish cache server
Is anyone else getting this problem?
Last edited by Shrapnel on Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Half asleep upon my knee
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

I'm already writing mine in the grim darkness of the far future.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Shrapnel wrote:
Guru Meditation:

Is anyone else getting this problem?
No. Also, why are you on an Amiga?
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Have no clue. I looked up the site on Google, which was my first clue that something was wrong. Found the site, and whenever I tried to go anywhere, I got that message. And now, the site's working fine. I suspect gremlins were involved.

edit:
Okay, now I've managed to get signed up. However, the cat sedatives I take are beginning to take effect, so I'll probably have to wait till tomorrow before I get started.

another edit: also, what's an Amiga?
Last edited by Shrapnel on Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Half asleep upon my knee
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Shrapnel wrote: what's an Amiga?
Fucking kids...
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Okay, so I was born in 1991. So sue me.
Half asleep upon my knee
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Wrote a chapter about my personal hero, Kenneth Pinyan.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Shrapnel wrote:Okay, so I was born in 1991. So sue me.
Oh, God. For the first time since I turned 24, my age (I'm 35) hit me when I was in the grocery store today and they had one of those signs up saying that you were old enough to purchase alcohol if you were born on or before this date in 1991.

Just wow.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

35 isn't old. 35 is actually pretty young. Once you hit 50 and above, then you start worrying. At least, that's how I look at it.
Half asleep upon my knee
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Shrapnel wrote:35 isn't old.
I must respectfully disagree, Mr. Born The Year I First Touched A Girl's Boob.

:wink:
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I think your just sensitive. :tongue:

Consider the fact that a short 150 years or so ago, most people died at age 35.
Half asleep upon my knee