Surprisingly good D&D products.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Surprisingly good D&D products.

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

As I've said in previous threads, the packaged adventure paths (with one grievous exception, but it's fucking Bruce Cordell) for 4th Edition D&D are surprisingly good.

I've already intimated my feelings on the Pathfinder boxed set.

The Heroes of Horror book, despite being something I only bought for the Archivist, is surprisingly well-written. The fact that it's 90% fluff might have something to do with it.

I also enjoyed the DMGII much more than I enjoyed the PHB2 and MM2. This fills me with shame.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

Tome of Battle: Book of 9 Swords is one of my favorite D&D products.

I really liked Libris Mortis and Lords of Madness as well, especially the example undead monsters in the former and the fluff text on aberrations in the latter.

Sharn: City of Towers is one of the best books for a city locale ever.

I got a lot of use out of the Magic Item Compendium, especially the rechargeable ones. Healing Belts and Eternal Wands are beloved by my party.

I cut my teeth on extraplanar adventures with Manual of the Planes.
Last edited by Libertad on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

I liked the old Shackled City AP, replayable and reasonably challenging. I also liked UA for 3.5, it had a lot of interesting options and didn't seem bloated with filler. Book of Nine Swords because it was innovative and it made melee viable.
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Encyclopedia Magica. That might be one for a four-parter OSSR...
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

N4 - Treasure Hunt. one of the best things to help people learn and understand D&D and how all its parts come together.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

Ancient History wrote:Encyclopedia Magica. That might be one for a four-parter OSSR...
+1 (and I'd love to read the OSSR)

Even just as a thing to mine for ideas (for any kind of fantasy game), it's a great product.
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

I really like the 3.5E Unearthed Arcana and I like Pathfinder's Advanced Player's Guide.
Aryxbez
Duke

Re: Surprisingly good D&D products.

Post by Aryxbez »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:As I've said in previous threads, the packaged adventure paths (with one grievous exception, but it's fucking Bruce Cordell) for 4th Edition D&D are surprisingly good.

What 4th edition adventure paths are those, there any for Paragon/Epic, and what makes them good?

Unless I missed it somewhere, still been waiting on your Pathfinder box review, other than the Ninja, Summoner?, class, sounds like the only other truly good thing to come out of that game.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
echoVanguard
Knight-Baron

Post by echoVanguard »

Ancient History wrote:Encyclopedia Magica. That might be one for a four-parter OSSR...
I think you just volunteered, AH.

echo
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Yeah, I'm gonna do it. I just need to find the right box and dig them out. Gimme a week or two, eh?
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Aether & Flux.
It's basically a third party take on Spelljammer, for 3E. It's also simpler, more sensible, usable, and very reasonably priced. Also, and this is key, it has goddamn ship plans (in five foot squares even!).
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Lago PARANOIA wrote: The Heroes of Horror book, despite being something I only bought for the Archivist, is surprisingly well-written. The fact that it's 90% fluff might have something to do with it.
I'll second Heroes of Horror. I still like going through it occasionally to see if I can find some interesting ideas for encounters or adventures.
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

All three of the big APs from the Dragon magazine (Shackled City, Age of Worms, Savage Tide) are good. Not without major flaws, but good.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Aryxbez wrote:
Lago PARANOIA wrote:As I've said in previous threads, the packaged adventure paths (with one grievous exception, but it's fucking Bruce Cordell) for 4th Edition D&D are surprisingly good.

What 4th edition adventure paths are those, there any for Paragon/Epic, and what makes them good?
Curious myself. I played several of the early ones, and they were utter ass, especially the first, Keep on the Shadowfell, which especially with just the PH options, is a fucking murder boat for the party. The kobold/goblin waterfall cave is a TPK if played as written, and the final battle isn't winnable at all if the party aren't all ranged or fucking monster-juggling masters. Even then, if they haven't already read through the encounter, they should still lose to a solo monster 5 levels higher than them with extra bonuses to defenses, regeneration, an area zone of defense (that makes extra attacks on its own) and a full encounter's worth of level appropriate critters on top.

Pyarmid of Shadows was fucking stupid, with a lot of railroad shit, nonsensical happenings, and handwaved wtf abilities on traps and monsters.

And richard baker deserves a kick in the teeth for the Trollhaunt warrens, and the sublime mastery of complete tedium involved. Narrow tunnels and large monsters? Awesome, Rick. You've made the defender role valid, but it is boring as fuck to be the guy standing in the way while the party burns the monsters down.

I think I also played thunderspire labyrinth, but that was so forgettable to be largely unworthy of mention at all. All I remember at all was the 'bridge of death' over a bottomless chasm, and a fight that largely just involved rounds of trying to shove people off. Any push effect was 'die, no save'.
Last edited by Voss on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I am completely going to take back my '4th Edition adventure paths' are good comment. Trollhaunt Warrens and Keep on the Shadowfell were so bad that they tainted the product line. Oh, and don't forget Kingdom of Ghouls, where convincing an old man to help you out is an EPIC-LEVEL SKILL CHALLENGE.

What was I thinking...
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

FatR wrote:All three of the big APs from the Dragon magazine (Shackled City, Age of Worms, Savage Tide) are good. Not without major flaws, but good.
Seconded. Now if only my groups would let me fucking run them...
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

icyshadowlord wrote:
FatR wrote:All three of the big APs from the Dragon magazine (Shackled City, Age of Worms, Savage Tide) are good. Not without major flaws, but good.
Seconded. Now if only my groups would let me fucking run them...
Why won't they let you run them?
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

I agree with that assessment. The latter two are particularly good, IMO.
Antariuk
Knight

Post by Antariuk »

My official D&D 3.5 products have been mentioned aldready, so here are my d20 favorites: When the Sky Falls and Requiem for a God, both from Monte Cook's Malhavoc Press. I really enjoyed those books, even though the mechanics tend to be somewhat awful - nothing surprising here, I mean we talk about d20 products. But to get some cool ideas for a new campaign, or to revive a stalled and boring game, you could do a lot worse.
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

hogarth wrote:
I agree with that assessment. The latter two are particularly good, IMO.
Is there any place you can still buy them?
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

You can buy back issues of Dungeon from the Paizo web site store. I'm pretty sure some of them are sold out, though.

EDIT: PDFs are available for purchase for the sold-out issues. For Shackled City, there's a hardcover collection available for $30.
Last edited by hogarth on Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BearsAreBrown
Master

Post by BearsAreBrown »

It's also pretty easy to 'acquire' digital editions from the Internet.
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

BearsAreBrown wrote:It's also pretty easy to 'acquire' digital editions from the Internet.
I'm not saying for sure, but there might or might not be a folder on a website called 4shared, where you could (hypothetically) download pretty much all of them.

I am idly speculating here.
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
Enough with the theoretical discussion.
[/TGFBS]