Once per turn vs Once per round in Tome/3.5

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Damocles
1st Level

Once per turn vs Once per round in Tome/3.5

Post by Damocles »

Mainly for things such as Legendary Strategist's

'A World of Opportunity (Ex): Once per turn, a Legendary Strategist may take an Immediate Action without using up his swift action next round.'

Does once per turn mean once during each individual creature's turn in a round? I ask because there are many occasions in Tome where both 'Once per turn' and 'Once per round' are used, and I, in my infinite lack of wisdom,
am unable to find a rule that tells me the difference in 3.5 or Tome.

I know from 4E 'Turn' meant each individual creatures turn, but I dont necessarily want to just use that if thats not how it works here.

EDIT: I apologize if this isnt the correct place to ask this, I just figured this subforum would work for Tome related queries.
Last edited by Damocles on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
It takes a wise man to discover a wise man - Diogenes
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

My assumption is that it should read 'once per round' but the literal reading would indicate that you do in fact get an immediate action on each creatures turn, which is hilarious.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Turn doesn't have any meaning at all in 3.5, but to the extent that it matters, turn used to mean in 2e a period of seven rounds, so by the same logic that you use 4e to figure out what it means to say that you get it for each person, you instead get it once every seven rounds.

But my interpretation has the benefit of causality flowing from the past to the future.

The answer is once per round and once per turn are the same thing.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Damocles
1st Level

Post by Damocles »

Kaelik wrote:Turn doesn't have any meaning at all in 3.5, but to the extent that it matters, turn used to mean in 2e a period of seven rounds, so by the same logic that you use 4e to figure out what it means to say that you get it for each person, you instead get it once every seven rounds.

But my interpretation has the benefit of causality flowing from the past to the future.

The answer is once per round and once per turn are the same thing.
Yeah, I get the idea that using 4e without care to investigate the actual rule was probably a bad idea, hence why I asked. I never played 2e, so I wouldnt have known the 7-Round thing.

I do wish that since 'once per turn' and 'once per round' are the same thing that the rules would explicitly say somewhere that they have the same meaning, or that they just use one term or the other. I suppose thats asking too much of Wizards though =P

EDIT: Oh, look at my ass-hattery, I forgot to thank you for the info! Thanks for clearing that up for me =D
Last edited by Damocles on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
It takes a wise man to discover a wise man - Diogenes
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Kaelik wrote:Turn doesn't have any meaning at all in 3.5, but to the extent that it matters, turn used to mean in 2e a period of seven rounds
10 rounds, IIRC, but it is late and I am tired.

Game On,
FBMF
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I used Turn and Round interchangeably, yeah.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

fbmf wrote:
Kaelik wrote:Turn doesn't have any meaning at all in 3.5, but to the extent that it matters, turn used to mean in 2e a period of seven rounds
10 rounds, IIRC, but it is late and I am tired.

Game On,
FBMF
Yes. AD&D had a turn equaling 10 rounds. Also note that a round was a minute back in the day, so a turn was a way of saying ten minutes.

I recently joined a pseudo-Red Box game, and I think they use the term there as well (I'm not sure off the top of my head. The DM mixes in a lot of AD&D material as well). It's primarily used in spell durations.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I forget, did AD&D measure a round as 6 seconds?
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Aharon
Master

Post by Aharon »

Actually, both terms are defined (PHB glossary, pages 312 and 314):

round: A 6-second unit of game time used to manage combat.
Every combatant may make at least one action every round.

turn: The point in the round at which you take your action(s). On
your turn, you may perform one or more actions, as dictated by your
current circumstances.

@Cynic
The AD&D round was 1 minute, so a turn was 10 minutes. Player's Option (Combat and Tactics) shortened that to 10 to 15 seconds and added a few conversion rules (for example, out of combat, a spell lasts 1 minute/round, when combat begins, the number of rounds it continues are converted to combat rounds - effectively shortening the duration).
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Aharon: Heh, I was just coming on to edit my post to talk specifically about the conversion rules.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Koumei wrote:I used Turn and Round interchangeably, yeah.
You mean you gave "Round"...

(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

...its Turn.

B♯ Yeah!

-Username17
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

You get a "turn" every time you get to act. Generally, that's once a round, but there could be exceptions. E.g., in Paizo's beta version of their "mythic" rules, you could possibly get two turns per round.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

or White Raven something
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.