Help me to not hate Scion

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Roog wrote: Try Hercules in New York
aw...damn, I missed my chance, twas totally going to reference that, I guess we're of the few people that have seen this movie eh?

In a way, I'm kinda surprised the ancient Arthurian legends weren't an option as well, what with old legends where Bedivere could apparently turn into a giant, or gawain's timed super strength. Though, I did find it kinda awesome that the American legends were counted amongst the number.

Conceptually speaking, this is totally something I would want to play. Alternatively though, I do wonder if it would be better, if instead, the player played as one of the straight up GODS of the given mythology, put into a mortal form? Could even have it played off that, you're powered down a bit due to the mortal form, and over time your mortal coil learns to hold more of it, remember more, or otherwise earn it back. The wikipedia article on this game alone, shows the sheer amount of gods available, so there would be plenty of gods to choose from. I could see something like this being ran as a Shin Megami Tensei campaign, going around, beating off angels, gods and concepts, all God of War style.

So now, given this conceptually awesome piece here, I wonder, what system would handle this idea better? Would ye be better off just choosing a superhero RPG, like Mutants & Masterminds, Champions, or ye think it would just require rewrite of a new game?
Last edited by Aryxbez on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

Aryxbez wrote:I could see something like this being ran as a Shin Megami Tensei campaign, going around, beating off angels, gods and concepts, all God of War style.
Yes, a robust angel handjob subsystem is definitely mandatory for a White Wolf-inspired game.
P.C. Hodgell wrote:That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
shadzar wrote:i think the apostrophe is an outdated idea such as is hyphenation.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Well, I don't recall ever seeing that in here... But I only paged through it once at a store.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Holy fuck the information density is low in Scion's fluff text.
Scion: Hero wrote:“Don’t make him too overconfident,” Hugin murmured.
“No, Eric,” Munin said. “Where the Gods need you—where your father needs you—most of all is here.”
“As what, a last line of defense?”
“Nope,” Hugin said. “A first.”
“I don’t understand.”
“The Titans—” Munin began.
“Wait,” Hugin said. “Let me do this one.”
“Oh, would you prefer to—”
“I really would.”
“Very well, then. Proceed, by all means.”
“You don’t mind, do you?”
“Perish the thought.”
AAAAAAAARGH!

-Username17
wotmaniac
Knight-Baron

Post by wotmaniac »

you bothered reading more than a page of the fluff?
1 of the (several) things I really hate about WW are the vacuous novellas that apparently must clutter-up every single book. (another big one being their whole "here's something that's totally awesome -- now, here's why it completely sucks" ..... which seems to have been accidentally subverted in Scion)

Oh, thanks guys -- I'm starting to come around on this. I think that the issue was that I was still in the Aberrant mind-set, and was having trouble getting out of it (I'm still not quite sure why I so closely associate the 2 .... that is, beyond the fact that they happen to both be WW products).

Archmage wrote: Yes, a robust angel handjob subsystem is definitely mandatory for a White Wolf-inspired game.
I wholeheartedly approve this message. :thumb:

Koumei wrote:Remember that it's a WW game so you're supposed to be [...] fucking absolutely everyone who you aren't murdering - and even then, that's no guarantee.
Eh -- I'm passing on the Death purview :tongue:
*WARNING*: I say "fuck" a lot.
"The most patriotic thing you can do as an American is to become filthy, filthy rich."
- Mark Cuban

"Game design has no obligation to cater to people who don’t buy into the premise of the game"

TGD -- skirting the edges of dickfinity since 2003.

Public Service Announcement
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

wotmaniac wrote:you bothered reading more than a page of the fluff?
1 of the (several) things I really hate about WW are the vacuous novellas that apparently must clutter-up every single book. (another big one being their whole "here's something that's totally awesome -- now, here's why it completely sucks" ..... which seems to have been accidentally subverted in Scion)
Scion's opening 38 page short story is extremely useless, but it is almost the entirety of the fluff text of Scion. Which is to say: Scion has an incredibly cluttered world and tells you almost nothing about it despite having two hundred thousand words to work with.

Really, I should just drink a bunch and post a drunk review of Scion.
Oh, thanks guys -- I'm starting to come around on this. I think that the issue was that I was still in the Aberrant mind-set, and was having trouble getting out of it (I'm still not quite sure why I so closely associate the 2 .... that is, beyond the fact that they happen to both be WW products).
Aberrant is actually similar to Scion in a bunch of ways. Aberrant was an attempt to make a gritty science fiction super heroes game using a hack on the Storyteller system. Scion is an attempt to make a gritty supernatural heroes game using a hack on the Storytelling system. Both have extremely terrible (if very different) rules for "Epic Attributes". In many ways, Scion is a reboot of Aberrant using the new edition rules.

-Username17
Archmage Joda
Knight

Post by Archmage Joda »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Really, I should just drink a bunch and post a drunk review of Scion.
I would love to see either this or an "Anatomy of Failed Design" for Scion.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

I second drunken reviews of Scion, and tbh I have never read any of their chapter fiction for games which are not Exalted. Then again I really like that broken mishmash of a game despite its flaws, so yeah.
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

The setting had potential, but said potential is completely wasted on a vapid "monster of the week" premise in purest DB-Z fashion.

The game is not about being a MYTHOLOGICAL hero (as in, become a legend and do BIG (not necessarily good) things), it's about a lame sentai. Like playing superheroes, but without the autonomy,
Last edited by Dogbert on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
wotmaniac
Knight-Baron

Post by wotmaniac »

FrankTrollman wrote: Aberrant is actually similar to Scion in a bunch of ways. [...] In many ways, Scion is a reboot of Aberrant using the new edition rules.
you're not helping me get out of my box. :tonguesmilie:
*WARNING*: I say "fuck" a lot.
"The most patriotic thing you can do as an American is to become filthy, filthy rich."
- Mark Cuban

"Game design has no obligation to cater to people who don’t buy into the premise of the game"

TGD -- skirting the edges of dickfinity since 2003.

Public Service Announcement