Video Games

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

When I was kid, my mom never bought me a SNES, an N64, a Playstation, so on and so forth, when they came out. I was stuck with a second-hand Sega Genesis and Game Boy Color until my brother gave me his PS2, and even then the PS2 was already past-gen. And forget ever having a computer.

This means that I missed every gaming cultural landmark of the nineties and early oughts (Common questions I often asked friends who were lucky enough to have current-gen consoles: Do a barrel roll? Why? What bombs? What's a water temple? Resident Evil? Is that some kind of hospital thingy?)

The first time I ever got a current-gen console when it was still current was when I got a Wii as an Xmas present.

I'm not quite sure why I'm bringing this up now.
Last edited by Shrapnel on Wed May 01, 2013 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Blasted
Knight-Baron

Post by Blasted »

That hurts man, just let it all out :)
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

My childhood, as far as gaming goes, sucked.

Everyone I knew lorded over me the fact that they had an N64, and all I had was a Sega Genesis, and that they could play Super Mario 64 while I was still forced to play King of the Monsters and Rampart (though I'm not condeming those games, both were totally excellent).

I once got into a fight with another kid because he said his Playstation could beat up my Sega. I don't know if that was true, but I sure beat the crap out of him.
Half asleep upon my knee
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

The Playstation has some good games, but ultimately, the genesis was better, I think. PLaystation didn't really hit its stride until 2.

Super Mario 64, on the other hand, is the best platform game ever made, period. All of this time and it still hasn't been surpassed.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

True and true, but although the Genesis was and still is the most kick-ass system in the entire universe and two-thirds of Cambodia, the fact that it was the only system I had by 2005 made getting new games a mite difficult. For the longest time, I was a "have-not", and it sucked. All the cool kids in school ignored me and beat me up*! It was worse than... worse than... I can't think of anything worse!

*This is, of course, a lie. There were no cool kids there; it was a SPED school.
Last edited by Shrapnel on Thu May 02, 2013 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Half asleep upon my knee
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Apparently, as part of the ongoing sectioning up of THQ, the Homeworld license was auctioned off to... Gearbox.

Da fuck?
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Sega sort of lost steam around the time the Sega CD came out. They had vastly superior storage space, but not enough RAM or processor power or experience to make decent use of it. At the time, CD-ROMs were new and no one really understood how to make use of them. The result was a glut of FMV adventure games. FMV adventure games tend to have one thing in common. They're developed on a shoe-string budget that they somehow manage to successfully split between terrible movies and terrible gaming segments. Except for Ripper, which I think must have managed to throw all of its budget into hiring actors. But that was a PC game.

The Sega CD was a bold and grand experiment in mediocrity that was followed up by the 32X (slight better at twice the price). The suckitude of the 32X and the general lack of support or games for it made the Saturn (which was actually good) much less attractive, especially give n the $400 price tag.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Shrapnel wrote:True and true, but although the Genesis was and still is the most kick-ass system in the entire universe and two-thirds of Cambodia, the fact that it was the only system I had by 2005 made getting new games a mite difficult. For the longest time, I was a "have-not", and it sucked. All the cool kids in school ignored me and beat me up*! It was worse than... worse than... I can't think of anything worse!
You can emulate N64 games. Then again, if you have a wii it would probably be more straightforward just to buy them.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

The 32x had the best side scrolling shoot-em-up ever created, at least: Kolibri. Still waiting for that game to get remade or put on one of those XBLA-like thingies.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:Well. Maybe I'm gonna buy a DS after all.
More importantly, a 3DS, I would've gladly gotten it on the DS I have now. I haven't bought into any Nintendo Systems since, though the games art looks like it could grow on me. Funnily enough, this is the only Zelda game I've actually beaten, rest I would get close, or only played briefly if that.

So, recently I had beaten RAGE, though it seemed to have taken me longer than most people who played it (around 28 hours it provided for me, vs. 16 avg). More I played it, the more I got the feeling, that it was Bethesda's "Wasteland Hearbreaker". Otherwise what they wanted to do with Fallout, which worries me as to what they'll do with that franchise from then on. Yes, I know it was made by Id, the "Doom Guys", but it still seemed like Fallout-expy + small Doom injection

(Setting SPOILERS up ahead I guess?)RAGE I think was a rather poor apocalypse, aesthetics wise, game encouraged player to sell their "supplies" (like food, oil, water, things people ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT), Vehicles were aplenty enough to be destroyed in races to no worry,repairs simple nuisance, Electricity being common in respective civilizations, and I guess the whole nanites, future tech thing, can be bit of reason for that. Also, in case wondering why I thought it seemed like Fallout-expy: Authority faces resembled Enclave, had places called "vaults", Player origins vaguely similar idea, annnnd Vault-Tec Bobblehead? (joking on last one)

Oh, and I guess I agree with what Meikle641 said, though you can get it for like $10 nowadays, so it's fairly worth its current price at least.
Last edited by Aryxbez on Mon May 06, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Guyr Adamantine
Master

Post by Guyr Adamantine »

Honestly, Rage was just a Fallout expy, without the exploration, characters, setting, and mood. I had fun fighting with my drones, but it was way too fucking short, with no payoff. I'm never gonna play it again, and that's rare for me.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Drones and rocket rounds for the shotgun were most of my fun.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
John Magnum
Knight-Baron

Post by John Magnum »

Fallout New Vegas is vexing me a great deal.
-JM
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I've actually been intermittently playing through New Vegas for the third time, this time as an Explosives primary user.

It has been great fun. Really chews up my supply of limb condition restoration meds, though. The blast radius enhancement perk may have been a mistake.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Metro: Last Light is pretty awesome. I feel like Solid Snake or something as I creep around assassinating communists, nazis, and bandits from behind.

The strip club was also nice, but I wish the brunette had been the one giving lapdances instead of the red head.

Also, silenced shotguns, bitches.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Doing a second run of Metro Last Light, but on Ranger Mode Easy. I'm fucking Big Boss, sneaking around and doing non-lethal takedowns. Game is so much easier if you're sneaky. I use my SILENCED SHOTGUN to shoot lightbulbs beyond my reach. I basically only shoot monsters and lights.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Meikle641 wrote:I use my SILENCED SHOTGUN
Is it so loud, everyone is deafened?
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Amusingly, no. Just a silencer on a shotgun. IRL silencers for shotguns are fucking massive and like, half a metre long and don't work nearly as effectively as this. But yeah, using it for stuff like that makes me laugh from the absurdity of it.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

John Magnum wrote:Fallout New Vegas is vexing me a great deal.
The Invisible walls while traveling, and therefore discouraging non-linear ways of exploration to a given location (the invisible walls, it's the invisible walls isn't it? )? Otherwise, I will inquire as to why its vexing you so, for its problems, I still find it my favorite RPG for this console generation.

Some days ago, I played Champions of Norrath with a friend of mine, first one haven't played in some years. I quite enjoyed this hack & slash series (when it wasn't glitching!! and damn TOO FAST speed enchantments), and even as play the original, find some deep down like for it. Makes me wonder, what this series had over other Hack & slash titles, that lent it to be found so enjoyable, and thusly, hold up over time?

Additionally, I like to play a PS2 title "Colosseum: Road to Freedom", even just for random battles in the arena menu. It's a game where the Gladiator Duels match-up have that quick and intense feeling of a gladiator fight. I like it enough that I'll get out the PS2, just to play it for a couple hours.

Lastly meikle641, you said a "second" playthrough? I've always wanted to play those two games, given my adoration for post apocalyptic media, is the game really short?
Last edited by Aryxbez on Tue May 21, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Aryxbez wrote:Some days ago, I played Champions of Norrath ... Makes me wonder, what this series had over other Hack & slash titles, that lent it to be found so enjoyable, and thusly, hold up over time?
For me, it was the attention to the little details: for instance, you can see the nipples on female characters when they aren't wearing no clothes on. Seriously, look real close at the chest and you can see the nipple poking up from underneath the bra. It's awesome.

...I lead such a lonely life, don't I...
Half asleep upon my knee
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Fallout: New Vegas has invisible walls? I can't say I noticed any. Apparently there are some to stop you from swimming to Hoover Dam, but none I ran into just exploring.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

name_here wrote:Fallout: New Vegas has invisible walls? I can't say I noticed any. Apparently there are some to stop you from swimming to Hoover Dam, but none I ran into just exploring.
Yeah, that. I don't remember any invisible walls. I remember it being Morrowind/Oblivion traditional jumping at a wall to climb it even when it shouldn't be climbable. The opposite of invisible walls, because you can navigate even the visible ones don't block your progress.

I guess maybe you mean the ones around New Vegas because different loading area, but that seems a weird thing to call invisible walls, because they have visible ones you can't climb first.
Last edited by Kaelik on Tue May 21, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Shrapnel wrote:For me, it was the attention to the little details: for instance, you can see the nipples on female characters when they aren't wearing no clothes on. Seriously, look real close at the chest and you can see the nipple poking up from underneath the bra. It's awesome.

...I lead such a lonely life, don't I...
Well with NWN, the first mod I downloaded was the massive PRC. The second one was the one that let all females have the special Aribeth/Drow Queen "wobbly boobs". The third one was the nude mod (for when armour/clothes aren't worn, not just all the time).
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.