Terrible Setting Ideas

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I would actually like to do Temple of the Fiscally Irresponsible Elves.
Several adjacent countries with massive unemployment problems and extremely high or low inflation. But with Elves and Dwarves instead of Portuguese and Shona.

-Username17
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

That would indeed be pretty cool. But two questions:

1. Who are/were the Shona?

2. What typo/offhand comment originally sparked the ToFIE idea?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Neon Sequitur
Apprentice

Post by Neon Sequitur »

Red Steel.

For sooo many reasons....
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The Shona are the largest ethnic group in Zimbabwe.
Temple of the Fiscally Irresponsible Elves comes from an offhand comment in a very snarky Amazon review of Bruce Cordell's execrable "Marauders of the Dune Sea" adventure.
Moxcamel, Amazon Reviewer wrote:Another reviewer recommended "The Vault of Darom Madar" from Dungeon 181 instead of this 32 page hate on paper. I heartily concur. In fact, if it came down to running this adventure or running the editorial section of the Wall Street Journal, I'd say you should bone up on how to read a PNL statement before embarking on your journey to "Temple of the Fiscally Irresponsible Elves."
The mind leaps at the possibilities. Hard money Dwarves with an ever shrinking economy as gold prices skyrocket because rising inequality leaves the richer Dwarves chasing smaller and smaller sets of goods and services with larger and larger piles of gold. Elves who have had lavish parties financed with unfettered printing of leaf money that is now virtually worthless. Gnomes whose technological marvels have replaced the need for most of their workers, who now don't have any money, causing the technological marvels to themselves sit idle for lack of a market for their production.

It's a fantasy world, so you can have all the classic market failures and monetary policy failures writ exceedingly large.

-Username17
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Aha, so it would be creating something good as a result of one of Cordell's many (many) failures. That reviewer would be very welcome here.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

There was a discussion thread or two, and at one point I actually put together a campaign concept based on the idea. Never got played, sadly. Here's a couple threads that touched on it.

http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=53026& ... c&start=91
http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=251635
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

A vast snake slithers through the cosmos, and all the planes are on his back. Setting name: Planes on a Snake.
Vebyast
Knight-Baron

Post by Vebyast »

Chamomile wrote:A vast snake slithers through the cosmos, and all the planes are on his back. Setting name: Planes on a Snake.
Goddamnit.

This would actually work pretty well with the "snakes are books" idea. Every idea in the universe is written somewhere on the Snake. Some ideas are bigger than others, and these lead to the Planes. A sufficiently strong ideation can affect the writings of the Snake, allowing planar travel and the creation of demiplanes.
DSMatticus wrote:There are two things you can learn from the Gaming Den:
1) Good design practices.
2) How to be a zookeeper for hyper-intelligent shit-flinging apes.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

In an alternate reality, Jormungand killed Odin and ascended to become the World Serpent, carrying the Nine Realms on its back...
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Chamomile wrote:A vast snake slithers through the cosmos, and all the planes are on his back. Setting name: Planes on a Snake.
Now that is a terrible an awesome setting idea.
Last edited by ...You Lost Me on Mon May 27, 2013 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Guyr Adamantine
Master

Post by Guyr Adamantine »

...You Lost Me wrote:
Now that is a terrible setting idea.
That's not how you spell awesome.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Right you are.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.