5 Second Hooks

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Someone Awakened the entire non-human population of the Royal Zoo, and both the mammals and reptiles are starting to form gangs a la West Side Story. Reverse the spell before newts start breaking into overwrought ballads.
Guyr Adamantine
Master

Post by Guyr Adamantine »

The son of a powerful orcish warchief wishes to see the cities of mankind. Protect him as he lives, learns and loves among humans who try to kill him at every opportunity.
Last edited by Guyr Adamantine on Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

A group of bards is organizing a large concert located by the ocean, on top of a large cliff, with free admission! The bards are secretly harpies in disguise, planning on flying over the ocean, using their captivating song to lure the crowd to their deaths.
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

Everything is normal when you go to sleep. When you wake, you're on the floor of a wealthy merchant's inn room. He's dead and there's evidence of evil ritual all around. Suddenly the innkeeper enters the room with the merchant's breakfast.
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

I kill the innkeeper. No witnesses.

I kill the bards. Wait, they were harpies?

I kill the Orc, duh. All those other folk can buy me an ale.

I kill the animals at the circus. Wait, what's a zoo again?
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Fantasy video games can usually be turned into 5 second hooks, take Crypt of the Necrodancer.

"The necromancer bard has raised you as an undead abomination, you must now fight to the beat!"
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Damn, my daughter is the king of coming up with these. I have a bunch of fantasy-oriented ones jotted down that I may not use now that CotEotM is becoming "little-kid-Gamma-World". Let's see...

"Hunting Me, Hunting You": The PCs encounter a group of hunters tracking an ankheg. Not long after, they encounter another group of hunters hunting a giant centipede. Both groups are tracking each other, and must be reunited to stop the whole silly enterprise. Then giant insects attack.

I'll type up some more later.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

Nothing is happening.

Nothing. The local savage tribes are minding their own business. There's no cult activity in town, and not even any thieves' guild activity. There have been no monster attacks in weeks, and no scheming masterminds are attempting to hold the town ransom or experiment on their children. No strange underground structures have been found. Nothing is happening, not even pickpocketings at the market.

So, what do you do?
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
Corsair114
Master

Post by Corsair114 »

You've each been hired by different barony to investigate a sudden halt of goods coming from a major trade hub that connects to each of the different baronies. Upon arriving you find the town-

-under siege by orcs. You're behind their lines, not far from their siege engines. Was that a rustling you heard in the brush?

-a frozen wasteland with a massive tower of ice protruding from the center with dragons circling near its peak. One of the dragons is diving towards you!

-deserted. There appears to be no one and nothing moving. As the breeze begins to pick up, you hear the creaking of a sign and hint of brimstone and rotten meat wafts your way.
Last edited by Corsair114 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The rules are the game, without them you're just playing cowboys and indians with a side of craps. Image
Vebyast
Knight-Baron

Post by Vebyast »

You have managed to disarm all the ancient traps and are now the proud owner of... a single thirty-three ton gold ingot. In the middle of a hydra-infested swamp. Surrounded by angry lizardfolk. Have fun spending it.
DSMatticus wrote:There are two things you can learn from the Gaming Den:
1) Good design practices.
2) How to be a zookeeper for hyper-intelligent shit-flinging apes.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Desdan_Mervolam wrote:Nothing is happening.

Nothing. The local savage tribes are minding their own business. There's no cult activity in town, and not even any thieves' guild activity. There have been no monster attacks in weeks, and no scheming masterminds are attempting to hold the town ransom or experiment on their children. No strange underground structures have been found. Nothing is happening, not even pickpocketings at the market.

So, what do you do?
We meet at the inn. The elves start whittling dice, and the wizard draws up character sheets...
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

fectin wrote:

So, what do you do?
We meet at the inn. The elves start whittling dice, and the wizard draws up character sheets...
New meaning to the term metagaming, huh?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

And also this:
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Vebyast wrote:You have managed to disarm all the ancient traps and are now the proud owner of... a single thirty-three ton gold ingot. In the middle of a hydra-infested swamp. Surrounded by angry lizardfolk. Have fun spending it.
Two words: Shrink Item.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:
Vebyast wrote:You have managed to disarm all the ancient traps and are now the proud owner of... a single thirty-three ton gold ingot. In the middle of a hydra-infested swamp. Surrounded by angry lizardfolk. Have fun spending it.
Two words: Shrink Item.
Pro: it would only weigh about 16 pounds!

Con: you need a CL of about 27 to affect it and you don't care about gold at that point in your career.
Last edited by RobbyPants on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Cut it into X manageable pieces, cast Shrink Item X times.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

The drow matron wants a specific jewel necklace for a party. The necklace belongs to a nearby svirfneblin hermit. But the hermit is on route to Waterdeep. You have 1 day to get it back.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

You won the fight, but due to that Sword of Sharpness, none of you has a full compliment of limbs any longer. No one around here knows how to cast regeneration.
Vebyast
Knight-Baron

Post by Vebyast »

You won the fight, but thanks to that mad druid, none of you have the right complement of limbs any longer. It doesn't seem to be wearing off.
Last edited by Vebyast on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DSMatticus wrote:There are two things you can learn from the Gaming Den:
1) Good design practices.
2) How to be a zookeeper for hyper-intelligent shit-flinging apes.
Corsair114
Master

Post by Corsair114 »

You few, you happy few, you band of badass hobos have joined the Great Wvern Hunt where whoever brings in the most wyvern-hides before the end of the month gets to have their own county to rule over.
The rules are the game, without them you're just playing cowboys and indians with a side of craps. Image
erik
King

Post by erik »

So, what do you do?
This is how bad things start. When my gaming group couldn't find trouble we made trouble.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Mostly, IMHO, if there's no hooks, why are you playing that game instead of another?
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Czarist-Marxist revolutionaries have invaded the Senate building and taken hostages.
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

Vebyast wrote:You won the fight, but thanks to that mad druid, none of you have the right complement of limbs any longer. It doesn't seem to be wearing off.
I'm actually writing up a random table for something like that right now. I might post it here when I'm finished. On that note:

The wild mage's magic fountain was still running when he disappeared, and its enchantments are leaking into the surrounding countryside.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.