Axis & Allies is fun, what else is there?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Axis & Allies is fun, what else is there?

Post by OgreBattle »

I played it for the first time last week. This week watched my boss play at the office, he wiped out the US fleet then fortified Alaska.

I've also played the Game of Thrones game once but that was also enjoyable.

What other games are in the same vein that are worth looking into?
Any tips on A&A and how to effectively use the Axis countries?
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Shogun. But it takes forever to set up.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

If they're playing Axis & Allies, I wouldn't worry too much about game set-up or running length.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

There's a new game using the Shogun name, e which I haven't played.

The game formerly known as Shogun and more recently sold as Samurai Swords was probably the best of the MB/AH gamemaster series (Conquest of the Empire was cancelled for suckage and Fortress America was kinda middling)

Risk 2210 is kinda similar to A&A and has a mercifcul turn-limit on game length.

I can also strongly endorse OGRE as a great little wargame from the 80s, although that focuses more on tactics in individual engagement than on strategic level economic gains, so the feel is pretty different from the above games. The spiffy new kickstarted super ultra deluxe massive mark VI edition is pretty exciting to us fans from way way back.

Looking at my shelf the only other wargame from the 80s that I endorse is Junta - which isn't really a wargame - it's a hybrid war/politics game where the players with the worst positions in the political minigame gain the biggest military advantage in the war minigame

Edit: You might get more diverse recommendations asking on BGG forums - but beware of the groupthink, recent-release bias and the way distributor money warps their rating system.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
shadzar
Prince

Re: Axis & Allies is fun, what else is there?

Post by shadzar »

OgreBattle wrote:Any tips on A&A and how to effectively use the Axis countries?
wipe out Russia fast and defend the borders of Germany. Russia can move in and take Germany in about 3 turns, then only Japan is left.

Panzer Vor! ;)
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)