The Shadowrun Situation

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

Aynone remember why priority system sucked? Pepperidge Farms remembers.
To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

That is a little bit dishonest. They are having someone shill out a high priority to be allowed to select any race and then taking the cheap default race anyway. That's a lot like leaving some of your points unspent.

However, it's also manifestly true that the conversion between Build Points and Karma advancement has never been particularly fair. And then the amount of build points the Priority assignments give out is unfair on top of that, so the amount of difference engine bullshit you can pull in character generation was higher in every edition prior to 4th. Bringing back the priority system would be a huge and obvious step backward even if the people they had designing it were good at math. Which, obviously, they are not.

-Username17
Dragon Instincts
1st Level

Post by Dragon Instincts »

SR5, page 62:
Watch your back!
Shoot straight!
Conserve ammo!
Never deal with a dragon!

What?
It should be:
And never, ever, cut a deal with a dragon.

HOW COULD THEY DO THIS WRONG???
It's been that way since SR1!

Yes, it's nitpicking. I know that. But of all the bad things in that book, this just blows my mind.
How could they fuck up the sole signature proverb of Shadowrun?
It's like the president singing his national anthem with wrong lyrics during an offical event.
Last edited by Dragon Instincts on Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

They had to make it somehow clear how much they don't know or care about the game. Legit move, it seems ;)
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

@Dragon Instincts:
i am wondering if i should be an ass and post that to the Errata-Threads . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

Do it for shits and giggles. Nitpick the hell out of this thing.
Fucks
Master

Post by Fucks »

I wouldn't say that Bull and the freelancers don't care about the game (hell, some of 'em may even know the setting's backstory and history)... they're just terrible game designers.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I thought the official Shadowrun slogan was 'Geek the mage first'.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

"Wakeup and smell the soycaff chummer" is what I think of when I think of Shadowrun lines.
Dragon Instincts
1st Level

Post by Dragon Instincts »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:I thought the official Shadowrun slogan was 'Geek the mage first'.
True, that would be the other one.
They got that one right btw.
Last edited by Dragon Instincts on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

Bull and friends might care about certain aspects of SR, but they shit on everything else. That makes you not only a bad game designer. Those guys seem to want to make a high magic game in a quasi modern setting, not a cyberpunk game flavored with magic.

I was in the "hell yeah, Ghostwalker stomps over several nations, no problemo" faction and even I got sick of their wankery. Has this edition even Megacorporations doing illegal shit, or is it all magical threats by now?
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

Rawbeard wrote:Bull and friends might care about certain aspects of SR, but they shit on everything else. That makes you not only a bad game designer. Those guys seem to want to make a high magic game in a quasi modern setting, not a cyberpunk game flavored with magic.

I was in the "hell yeah, Ghostwalker stomps over several nations, no problemo" faction and even I got sick of their wankery. Has this edition even Megacorporations doing illegal shit, or is it all magical threats by now?
The most evil thing I've heard about the megacorps doing is making the switch to matrix online bonuses for the stuff they produce.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

Sounds about right.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Seerow wrote:
Rawbeard wrote:Bull and friends might care about certain aspects of SR, but they shit on everything else. That makes you not only a bad game designer. Those guys seem to want to make a high magic game in a quasi modern setting, not a cyberpunk game flavored with magic.

The most evil thing I've heard about the megacorps doing is making the switch to matrix online bonuses for the stuff they produce.
Well, Ares dealing with Insect Spirits, Aztech dealing with the Horrors and Blood-Magic, Renraku made DEUS, Shiawase tried to do something with HMHVV for some time . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

Stahlseele wrote:
Seerow wrote:

Well, Ares dealing with Insect Spirits, Aztech dealing with the Horrors and Blood-Magic, Renraku made DEUS, Shiawase tried to do something with HMHVV for some time . .
aka a bunch of magical threats.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

DEUS was a computer.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

They are having someone shill out a high priority to be allowed to select any race and then taking the cheap default race anyway. That's a lot like leaving some of your points unspent.
Actually, if you are a Race Priority A Human or whatever you get a fuckton of Edge.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Fuchs wrote:So... the Johnsons pay more for the same job if more runners take part.
Also, the Johnson pays more money if you fall in the dog kennel than if you sensibly avoid it.

Normally, I'm of the opinion that a poor rule beats having no rule at all because at least you have consistency. But in this case they seem to have actually made a rule that is literally worse than just telling game masters to just pull payment numbers out of their ass.

-Username17
I know, it's fucking horrible, it's literally the worst thing about 5E.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

Those rules are bad, but I don't think they're quite that bad. The payment is arranged before the run, so the extra money would be if falling into a dog kennel was an expected part of the mission. Although the fact that the stuff is in past tense makes that confusing.

But the part where you go up against 3:1 military opposition, with spirit support, and get paid less than stealing cars is pretty terrible. I think the issue is not scaling enough from easy to difficult runs - the payout for a milkrun is, if anything, high.

Also, the "cold hearted bastard" vs "warm fuzzies" multiplier are way too small. That's only 50% more cash for "stab the orphans" than "save the orphans". Even a sociopath would charge more.
Last edited by Ice9 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

Those rules are bad, but I don't think they're quite that bad. The payment is arranged before the run, so the extra money would be if falling into a dog kennel was an expected part of the mission. Although the fact that the stuff is in past tense makes that confusing.
But one of the bonuses is "Runners accomplished task with impressive speed/subtlety". It's not even saying the Johnson wants it accomplished discretely, it's specifying that if the Runners impress the johnson, the price goes up.

Which means you fall into the kennel, your price goes up.

It really is that bad.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

It's definitely phrased as being decided post-run, based on events.

The way that would make sense would be "Facility defended by packs of at least six critters, facility defended by at least three types of spirit"
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Bull has been playing a lot of 4th edition D&D. You now get your gold Nuyen after the mission because D&D. You get bonus gold nuyen for killing stuff because D&D. Hell, you are now on a one-attack-per-round system because D&D.

All the things Shadowrun players used to make fun of D&D players for because they were stupid are being folded back into Shadowrun. Because fuck you.

-Username17
Gobbeldygook
NPC

Post by Gobbeldygook »

They probably just copy/pasted the Missions reward guidelines.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Gobbeldygook wrote:They probably just copy/pasted the Missions reward guidelines.
They definitely did, which is why I'm pretty sure this particular fiasco is Bull's fault.

-Username17
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

one of the most idiotic and in my eyes broken things as of yet is the fact that you can get exceptional attribute for both magic and resonance, so the mundanes get shafted again . .
even though it says that magic is limited by essence+initiation and resonance is limited to essence+submersion.
yes, the rule is contradicting itself in less than 5cm . .
Last edited by Stahlseele on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote: