What is the biggest debacle of RPG history?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

In a shocking feat of self-reference, this thread has itself becoming the greatest debacle in RPG history. Since taking parting shots appears to be the fashionable thing to do, here's mine. Pulsewidth, I'm not going to put you on ignore. For me it would be pointless, because if you reply I know I'll read it anyway. However, I will not engage on this issue further in this particular thread. If you have questions or comments, please take them up elsewhere.

For everyone else's edification, I will try to get us back on track by tying this back to Eberron and why MGuy underestimates the squick factor on breed leeches.
First, to get it out of the way: The mouth absolutely has special status. Ask any anthropologist. Or neuroscientist. Next question.

Next: you've repeatedly steered this conversation towards details about the mechanics of facehuggers and away from the actual point which is about themes and content that are or are not acceptable to various audiences. I called Alien a "monster rape movie," which may have been sloppy. I should have said: Alien is a monster movie. It is also a rape movie. The relationship between those things is a little complicated.

For instance: Let's concede for the sake of the argument that there exists a defensible notion of "rape" such that there is no actual rape onscreen in Alien. That's fine for my position because a movie can be about [skub] even if it does not have any [skub] in it. The Crucible is a play about red panic that does not have any communists in it. The Book of Daniel is a book about King Antiochus Epiphanes, in which King Antiochus Epiphanes is not a character. And Alien is a movie about rape.

I want to give you credit where it's due, so let me acknowledge: yes, parasitism and rape are different. Rape is an essentially human threat. (other animals have forced sex within their species, but they don't go around raping humans). Having parasites in your body is bad enough to cause body horror for many people, but botflies aren't menacing because they're impersonal, unintelligent. To get an effective rape metaphor you need to add an element of human malice.

The thing is, Alien does that. The facehugger isn't necessarily the rapist in this story: Ash and Weyland-Yutani are. They want to retrieve the alien, and they're willing to risk and to use the crews lives and bodies to get what they want. That's the dynamic that clinches the film as a rape metaphor. If you look at it as a parasite movie, you miss the point of Ash's entire subplot.
Mguy,
Breed Leeches may be tamer than the other stuff you mentioned, but are also more closely grounded in lived experience. Vampires and Werewolves are, intellectually, as bad or worse: they reproduce nonconsensually by taking over your body, often by force, and radically altering it. But they are (usually) a relatively sterile, sanitised take on that issue. Vampires, like the Alien, are useful metaphors for rape, but they're useful in opposite directions: Because Vampires are surrounded by dust and tombstones and leather jackets and cold, still things, they don't feel like they have anything to do with pregnancy, childbirth, and all the messy chaos of human reproduction. That makes them a good way to talk about rape without viscerally upsetting people the way conventional rape does.

What Breed Leeches actually do is arguably less invasive and traumatic, than that, sure. It's "just a bite on the arm," it doesn't seem to do much to the primary victim, and it just changes a baby that already existed. But that's the problem: breed leeches, unlike vampires, attack actual pregnant women with big bellies and everything and their demon-children actually have to get delivered in a conventional childbirth. That's way more upsetting to think about than some dude punching his way out of a coffin. Anything to do with pregnancy is an emotional lightning rod for many people (especially many women I have known), and I think having a foreign infection alter your fetus is upsetting because it feels like a plausible threat.
Oh, and phone-lobster, I don't know why you think it makes any sense to call Alien a proto-slasher. First of all, it's not "proto" anything. Slasher films already existed when Alien came out. Your friend John Carpenter directed Halloween just the year before. Also, it doesn't have the "good girl" survive to the end, because Ripley isn't a "good girl." She's smarter and tougher than some of the others, but she isn't more more or more pure or whatever quality the Final Girl in a slasher is supposed to have that sets her apart.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Erik: Hilariously, I forgot about Resurrection, and I'm one of like five people on the planet who liked that movie
Last edited by Prak on Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Orion wrote:Pulsewidth, I'm not going to put you on ignore. For me it would be pointless, because if you reply I know I'll read it anyway.
Confession time: this is what ignore means to me. I totally skimmed pulse's response through the ignore. Ignore is my excuse not to respond when the horse is dead, my arms are tired, and the candy's stopped coming out.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Prak_Anima wrote:Erik: Hilariously, I forgot about Resurrection, and I'm one of like five people on the planet who liked that movie
Heh, I was kind of hoping someone would continue it quote-replying with a screenshot from Prometheus. Oh well.

I like Resurrection a lot, but my questionable tastes go further still by requiring that I watch the movie in French when possible. Same goes for Le Pact de Le Loupe, but that one's more understandable.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

Even though I think Pulsewidth was wrong about xenomorph rape, i hope you guys dont chase him away with your high levels of hostility. i enjoy how he has gotten people all riled up and my amusement is the most important thing.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Pulsewidth wrote:I refuse to harm actual real life rape victims by diluting the word so it becomes meaningless.
Pulsewidth, stop claiming that you're trying to defend rape victims. You're not. You're doing the exact opposite of that. Defending a narrow vision of what rape is perpetuates rape culture, empowers rapists, and silences and punishes victims and potential victims. You are harming actual real life rape victims when you tell them that what happened to them was not rape. That's terrifying, disempowering, and painful. And it happens all the time. You shouldn't do it, and you shouldn't act like it's no big deal or even a positive thing to do--because that just encourages more people to be rape police.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

There are still only 2 Aliens movies. I don't know what the fuck you guys are talking about with "trilogies" and shit.

-Username17
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Whatever wrote:You are harming actual real life rape victims when you tell them that what happened to them was not rape.
Wait, are we still talking about fictional monster rape? Did Monsanto try and grow tomatoes that feed themselves to you and end up with face-rape monsters or something?
I'm joking, of course. I'm well aware of all the horrific definitions of rape pulsewidth put forward. Like these ones:
You could argue that's a type of sexual reproduction... [in the context of establishing the criteria for rape]
If the resulting offspring receives genetic information from the host, as in Alien 3, then it is rape.
So if you happen to find yourself in prison being 'put upon' Shawshank laundry room style, remember: that's not rape. It is not a viable act of sexual reproduction. But hey. He did totally swap over to the FBI and WHO definitions later (without apologizing), and then said things like this:
Shoving *sexually* reproductive tentacles down a throat could be considered rape
The point is that expanding the definition to not require sex or sex organs dilutes it to the point that things that are obviously not rape are defined as rape. This is a bad thing, in the same way as "crying wolf".
However, if you fist my mouth, that is merely assault.
So if a bunch of gaybashers decide they want to humiliate a homosexual man, and so they hold him down and violate him orally with a phallic object: not rape! Assault. It's totally different than if they'd used their penises.

His problem is that he believes as follows:
1) Botflies are not rapists.
2) Facehugger reproduction is biologically analogous to botfly reproduction.
3) Therefore, facehuggers are not rapists.
Hilarious bullshit like claiming organs used as part of an organism's reproductive cycle aren't sex organs and "it's only rape if it's sexual reproduction" follow from an effort to defend the above.

He literally cannot admit that rape depends on factors other than simple anatomy/biology. Doing so would mean admitting he was wrong to use botflies as an example, and therefore has nothing at all to support his "facehuggers aren't rapists" claim. And that means that when pushed to edge cases that aren't actually edge cases at all, he has to choose between admitting he was wrong and tossing actual rape victims under the bus.
FUCK I SAID I WAS DONE
Pulsewidth
Apprentice

Post by Pulsewidth »

Whatever wrote:Defending a narrow vision of what rape is
I've been defending a broader definition than the FBI, the WHO and the British government. If this is still too narrow then "rape" has lost all meaning, and that does harm people.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Pulsewidth is terrible and so are his definitions. Regardless of the legal definition of rape in whatever jurisdiction you're in, any movie about a monster violating people's mouths with a penis-shaped organ is a movie that is at least in part about the horror of rape.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

DSMatticus wrote:Wait, are we still talking about fictional monster rape?
I never have been. I was ignoring all the botfly/xenomorph posts, because we don't have a culture that encourages botflies. It's a stupid argument, but it's also an irrelevant one.

We DO have a culture that accepts, and even encourages rape. And part of that is people playing rape police and telling real life rape victims that they weren't raped. Those are the posts that I've been objecting to, and that's why Pulsewidth is actually a horrible person, and not just a stupid one.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Whatever wrote:
We DO have a culture that accepts, and even encourages rape.
What fucked up culture do you live in, Afghanistan.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Nope, America.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Huh
Krusk
Knight-Baron

Post by Krusk »

Hey, go argue about how terrible pulsewidth is here http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=342506#342506

So we can keep a thread about how terrible other things are going.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

FrankTrollman wrote:I don't know what the fuck you guys are talking about with "trilogies" and shit.

-Username17
Star Wars. :p
wotmaniac
Knight-Baron

Post by wotmaniac »

FrankTrollman wrote:There are still only 2 Aliens movies. I don't know what the fuck you guys are talking about with "trilogies" and shit.

-Username17
:headscratch:
Are you just making some moral stand (kinda like how Highlander 2 never happened)? Which ones are you ignoring?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_%28f ... t_overview
*WARNING*: I say "fuck" a lot.
"The most patriotic thing you can do as an American is to become filthy, filthy rich."
- Mark Cuban

"Game design has no obligation to cater to people who don’t buy into the premise of the game"

TGD -- skirting the edges of dickfinity since 2003.

Public Service Announcement
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

wotmaniac wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:There are still only 2 Aliens movies. I don't know what the fuck you guys are talking about with "trilogies" and shit.

-Username17
:headscratch:
Are you just making some moral stand (kinda like how Highlander 2 never happened)? Which ones are you ignoring?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_%28f ... t_overview
Aliens 3? Never happened.
Alien Resurrection? Never happened.

Seriously, Aliens 3 isn't so much a movie as an affront to God and Man. Not only does it make no sense internally, but their excuse for not having the cast from the end of the previous movie was to simply murder all the heroes off camera. It's like a ChronoCross for the Aliens franchise, where before the movie even starts it calls time to shit all over Aliens. Which it has no right to do, because Aliens is a piece of classic literature and Aliens 3 was directed by the guy who made the Vogue music video.

Alien Resurrection is just sort of a mess. Here, I'll let the writer explain:
Joss Whedon on Alien Resurrection wrote:It wasn't a question of doing everything differently...it was mostly a matter of doing everything wrong...They did everything wrong that they could possibly do...it wasn’t so much that they’d changed the script; it’s that they just executed it in such a ghastly fashion as to render it almost unwatchable.
Now, Joss Whedon was being a crybaby about the whole thing and behaved in a deeply unprofessional manner. He wrote a shitty script, trying to turn Aliens into sort of a weird Dollhouse/Firefly mashup. And that didn't make any sense and never worked and it was shitty.

But the bottom line is that even the people who made that movie agree that it probably shouldn't have been made. And so it's just best for everyone if we pretend it actually wasn't.

-Username17
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

I have never seen an Alien movie (well, about half of Alien versus Predator), but I read a novelization of Alien: Resurrection once when I was a kid. It seemed pretty decent, actually. I guess the medium makes a big difference.
wotmaniac
Knight-Baron

Post by wotmaniac »

@Frank:
I think I can accept that. After Alien 3, I decided to skip Resurrection.
And then there was that spin-off, Alien-v-Predator, .... it would have made for a fine made-for-tv movie; "blockbuster", not so much.
*WARNING*: I say "fuck" a lot.
"The most patriotic thing you can do as an American is to become filthy, filthy rich."
- Mark Cuban

"Game design has no obligation to cater to people who don’t buy into the premise of the game"

TGD -- skirting the edges of dickfinity since 2003.

Public Service Announcement
Parthenon
Knight-Baron

Post by Parthenon »

Aliens vs Predator... nah. Never happened. They only crossed over in a couple of comics, and definitely never in films. Or a lot of other crossovers. Definitely not Superman and Batman vs Aliens and Predator.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

What about Batman, Predator, and Alien?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxu9LA14-fE
Last edited by Leress on Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Don't forget StormWatch vs. Aliens, epic battles!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I kind of roll my eyes at people who say "What? Four Alien movies? No, I only remember three, what are you talking about?" or 3 Matrix or Star Wars movies, or whatever, but I have to respect the person who denies even Alien 3.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

But... there are only three Matrix movies? Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. The only other thing I'm aware of is the Animatrix, and (this isn't a jab at its quality) it is quite clearly not a part of the franchise's core, same as those direct-to-TV Star Wars movies of the 80's no one counts. They exist, and they're Star Wars, but they aren't part of the Star Wars movies.