D&DNext: Playtest Review

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:To be fair to Wizardry, when the license moved from weird German people to weird Japanese people the property got way the hell better. Tales of the Forsaken Land has a pretty damn good plot for a cRPG-derived jRPG.
The Katsuya Terada artwork was the reason I picked up that game.

The Allied Actions/Madden plays system was a lot of fun.
I think it's a good alternative to straight up "Wizardry I" combat and having a gridmap to move around in.

There's a sequel that never came out in English though that added more stuff.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

shadzar wrote:Voss wouldnt know a Hercules graphics card if it bit him on the ass, not could he understand then transfer from 8 to 16 bit graphics. Sprite are what made Atari and Nintendo and the SSI series games had sprites just as good as Contra had until that other company came along.
The incomprehensibility of that sentence is making me suffocate.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

Shrapnel wrote:
shadzar wrote:Voss wouldnt know a Hercules graphics card if it bit him on the ass, not could he understand then transfer from 8 to 16 bit graphics. Sprite are what made Atari and Nintendo and the SSI series games had sprites just as good as Contra had until that other company came along.
lulz
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

Yeah. So check this out:
http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx ... l/20130819

If you ever needed more evidence that Mearls is in the wrong line of work...
MEARLS wrote: So, what did we learn from the public playtest? In some cases you confirmed things, in others you dispelled some notions that had become lodged in R&D's view of you.
  • You like simplicity. You want to jump into the game quickly, create characters, monsters, NPCs, and adventures with a minimum of fuss, and get down to the business of playing D&D.
  • You like that every class has the potential to contribute in most situations, but you're OK with some classes being better at certain things if that fits the class's image. You see balance on a larger, adventure-based or campaign-based scale.
  • You want rules that make it easy to build adventures and encounters. You want to think about the story or your setting's details, rather than fiddle with math.
  • You value flexibility in rules. You prefer an ability or a rule that's easy to adapt or that leaves space for creative applications, rather than rigidly defined abilities.
  • You aren't edition warriors. You want the game to support a variety play styles in equal measure. You're not attached to any specific ways of doing things as long as the game works.
Uh, what? These are their big discoveries?

They fucked around for more than a year and their playtest "findings" are all blatantly obvious shit. No public playtest is necessary to come to these conclusions. These are the basics of an RPG.

They say the playtest "dispelled some notions that had become lodged in R&D's view of you". Dear god. What were those notions? Must have been something like this:
  • You like complexity. You want to get into the game slowly, create characters, monsters, NPCs, and adventures with maximum fuss, and fiddle fuck around instead of playing the game.
  • You like that every class lacks the potential to contribute in most situations, and you're OK with some classes being better at certain things if that fits the class's image.
  • You want rules that make it hard to build adventures and encounters. You don't want to think about the story or your setting's details, you'd rather fiddle with math.
  • You value inflexibility in rules. You prefer to have rigidly defined abilities and rules, rather than rules that are easy to adapt and leave space for creative applications.
  • You care more about the edition war than the content of the game.
FUCK YOU MIKE MEARLS
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

what he is saying is they fucked up with 3rd because they thought the hardcoded rules that had all the fiddly bits was what people wanted, since he was hired after that period. those that created 3rd are now no longer at WotC save for James Wyatt, and he is obviously an idiot in place only to calm the bible-thumpers as he is a Reverend working on D&D so it isn't really witchcraft but has his seal of approval on it.

the minutiae isn't what people want form the game, but want to add their own level IF and WHEN they saw fit.

i bet he pulled half of that list from when i talked to him in May of 2010? 2009? whenever that was, and finally over a year or more later realized the English words i was using and tried to understand the language properly.

the Bill S way of D&D that came from Alternity and other shit has no place in D&D is what the playtest is showing, but that should have been evident when 4th edition, the brainchild of Bill S, bombed worse than Hiroshima.

probably now the corporate suits understand that the Alternity crowd were never trying to make D&D but some stupid shit, so 6th edition might have a chance when the playtest for it starts in 2 years, and they finally go back to making D&D.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
John Magnum
Knight-Baron

Post by John Magnum »

I would like to believe that it is indeed true that shadzar's conversation with Mike Mearls four years ago produced these insights. That is a world I would like to live in.
-JM
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

well it is more like he read the AD&D DMGs and pulled that list from them. but at least the balance shit that 4th pulled isnt what the game is about, and it is time people learned that. classes are classes for a reason, and if everyone is the same, you have no need for classes ala 4th edition.

now if only he understand the difference between a board game which 3rd and 4th implies and a living game world where things happen outside of player interaction, he might stand a chance of understanding D&D for the first time in these many decades since he first touched it.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

Shad, I was this close to agreeing with you.
Then, once you have absorbed the lesson, that your so-called "friends" are nothing but meat sacks flopping around in the fashion of an outgassing corpse, pile all of your dice and pencils and graph-paper in the corner and SET THEM ON FIRE. Weep meaningless tears.

-DrPraetor
erik
King

Post by erik »

Shrapnel wrote:
I checked and was relieved to see that Shrapnel has since been active after this post. I imagined a grown man collapsed on the floor amongst a pile of giant transformers, blue lips making a tender farewell kiss to the largest of the lot.

The horror.

Glad you're okay Shrapnel.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

infected slut princess wrote:Yeah. So check this out:
http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx ... l/20130819

If you ever needed more evidence that Mearls is in the wrong line of work...
MEARLS wrote: So, what did we learn from the public playtest? In some cases you confirmed things, in others you dispelled some notions that had become lodged in R&D's view of you.
  • You like simplicity. You want to jump into the game quickly, create characters, monsters, NPCs, and adventures with a minimum of fuss, and get down to the business of playing D&D.
  • You like that every class has the potential to contribute in most situations, but you're OK with some classes being better at certain things if that fits the class's image. You see balance on a larger, adventure-based or campaign-based scale.
  • You want rules that make it easy to build adventures and encounters. You want to think about the story or your setting's details, rather than fiddle with math.
  • You value flexibility in rules. You prefer an ability or a rule that's easy to adapt or that leaves space for creative applications, rather than rigidly defined abilities.
  • You aren't edition warriors. You want the game to support a variety play styles in equal measure. You're not attached to any specific ways of doing things as long as the game works.
Uh, what? These are their big discoveries?

They fucked around for more than a year and their playtest "findings" are all blatantly obvious shit. No public playtest is necessary to come to these conclusions. These are the basics of an RPG.
Well, the last one is almost entirely a consequence of being bad at statistics and/or framing poll questions. 'Select a preference from a short list of things that people find preferable' generally hits a fairly level distribution unless something fairly strange is going on. If it was phrased as 'do you prefer 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or anything so long as it works,' the answer is indeed going to self-evident.

The big thing they're going to find is their sales projection are going to be really disappointing. They're taking a least 3 different groups, and treating their combined answers as an aggregate, but that really isn't what is going on. The groups at the extremes are going to be _really pissed off_ and completely pan the game. They can only hope their 'centrists' are enough of a market.
Last edited by Voss on Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
wotmaniac
Knight-Baron

Post by wotmaniac »

Wait, wait, wait. wait, wait. Wait just a goddamned minute ....
DDN playtest actually = fucking FOCUS GROUP?

[img.]i can't even be bothered at this point[/img]
*WARNING*: I say "fuck" a lot.
"The most patriotic thing you can do as an American is to become filthy, filthy rich."
- Mark Cuban

"Game design has no obligation to cater to people who don’t buy into the premise of the game"

TGD -- skirting the edges of dickfinity since 2003.

Public Service Announcement
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Guys I think you are confused. Read that list very carefully, and compare how accurately each of those sentences describes 3e and 4e.

The lesson they learned from the public is that people like 3e and not 4e.

If only there were some kind of sales data so they could have learned that before.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

Here is something else to talk about. 5e Multiclassing rules, which no one discussed before because no one cares:
For multiclassing, we're adopting a system similar to 3rd Edition's. Some of this will be old news to longtime readers, but I'm going to recap what we've mentioned before and then add in a few elements that are new.
  • In order to multiclass, you simply take a level in a new character class when you gain a level.
  • The math for attack bonuses, saving throws, and so on scales based on your overall character level, so you don't have to worry about accidentally breaking your character.
  • Multiclassing with spellcasting classes is somewhat similar. Your overall levels in classes that cast spells determines how many spells you can cast. Your levels in those individual classes determine which spells you can prepare. For instance, a 3rd-level mage/3rd-level cleric casts spells per day as a 6th-level character, but can choose to prepare spells available to a 3rd-level wizard or to a 3rd-level cleric. Luckily, our scaling spells ensure that you can still get the most bang for your spells.
  • What if you combine a fighter and a mage, or a caster class with one that isn't a caster? If you want to dive deeply into such a combination, we're designing a set of subclasses that cater directly to spellcasting. The eldritch knight is a fighter subclass that augments a fighter/mage combination. The warden subclass gives a ranger/druid the flavor and forms of that character class.
  • Our approach to low-level characters removes the abuses you can achieve by dipping into several classes by spreading out features over the first few levels.
  • For things such as weapon and armor proficiencies, we have multiclassing-specific rules to ensure that you gain some new proficiencies, but not all of them. You can't dip into fighter to gain all weapons and armor.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:I think that's unfair to 2E D&D. That game has a few things going for it. I mean, I consider that game to be the bare minimum of what it takes to have a game that's worth playng, but I can see someone who's not shadzar making a positive case for it.
And when you see that, you need to add such a person to your ignore list.

The things 2e did right are vastly outweighed by the collective mental deficiencies and utterly alien patterns of cognition of its remaining fanbase.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1335944/D ... -Survey-10

You can give your feedback to them now.

As a standalone game I'd say what I've seen of D&DN was pretty nifty, though it gets confusing when you get outside of combat.
Ghremdal
Master

Post by Ghremdal »

Well my trolling of the feedback appears to be paying off...perfect.
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

infected slut princess wrote:Here is something else to talk about. 5e Multiclassing rules, which no one discussed before because no one cares:
(...)
With the exception of the subclasses-that-cater-to-fighter/mages stuff (3e already shows us that creating effectively mandatory patch PRCs to mitigate trap options is bad design), that actually sounds like they're doing something right!

I guess they can still screw it up by failing to evaluate the worth of the combinations correctly, and most likely will, but that checklist seems like a decent place to start if you want to try to implement open multiclassing.
Last edited by Schleiermacher on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

infected slut princess wrote:What were those notions? Must have been something like this:
  • You like complexity. You want to get into the game slowly, create characters, monsters, NPCs, and adventures with maximum fuss, and fiddle fuck around instead of playing the game.
Actually while I prefer to get into the game immediately, with a minimum amount of fuss etc. I do really like meaningful complexity.

I understand that a lot of people don't though. Some people love to play 3.5 barbarians, while I can't stand it, because it feels like my only real option in combat is full attack.

And for example when creating a cleric, I hate weeding out the terrible spells that I'm never going to use anyway. But I love picking between useful spells.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

shadzar wrote:i bet [Mike Mearls] pulled half of that list from when i talked to him in May of 2010? 2009? whenever that was, and finally over a year or more later realized the English words i was using and tried to understand the language properly.
shadzar did DDN, guys. You heard this here first.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

erik wrote:
Shrapnel wrote:
I checked and was relieved to see that Shrapnel has since been active after this post. I imagined a grown man collapsed on the floor amongst a pile of giant transformers, blue lips making a tender farewell kiss to the largest of the lot.

The horror.

Glad you're okay Shrapnel.
You've made my day.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
MfA
Knight-Baron

Post by MfA »

Schleiermacher wrote:With the exception of the subclasses-that-cater-to-fighter/mages stuff (3e already shows us that creating effectively mandatory patch PRCs to mitigate trap options is bad design), that actually sounds like they're doing something right!
You actually buy the statement that the spell scaling makes not getting access to the higher level spells viable?
Ravengm
Knight

Post by Ravengm »

wotmaniac wrote: Wait, wait, wait. wait, wait. Wait just a goddamned minute ....
I'm really not surprised at all. "We needed to fuck around for close to a year to figure out that there are things every group wants, and has wanted, since this hobby came into existence" is juuuuust about the right amount of pretending to do actual work that I've come to expect from Mearls.
Random thing I saw on Facebook wrote:Just make sure to compare your results from Weapon Bracket Table and Elevator Load Composition (Dragon Magazine #12) to the Perfunctory Armor Glossary, Version 3.8 (Races of Minneapolis, pp. 183). Then use your result as input to the "DM Says Screw You" equation.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

wotmaniac wrote: Wait, wait, wait. wait, wait. Wait just a goddamned minute ....
:confused:
Well, yeah. That was blatantly obvious from day 1.
They were specifically not looking for a concrete direction, but a compromise that most of the audience* would accept.

*and the majority of the audience are people who still hung around the WotC website and forums.
wotmaniac
Knight-Baron

Post by wotmaniac »

Ravengm wrote:
I'm really not surprised at all. "We needed to fuck around for close to a year to figure out that there are things every group wants, and has wanted, since this hobby came into existence" is juuuuust about the right amount of pretending to do actual work that I've come to expect from Mearls.
Voss wrote: :confused:
Well, yeah. That was blatantly obvious from day 1.
They were specifically not looking for a concrete direction, but a compromise that most of the audience* would accept.

*and the majority of the audience are people who still hung around the WotC website and forums.
*<sigh>
I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention.
Here's my issue: If you're going to do a focus group, just do a goddamned focus group .... that'd be what, a couple of months? 6 max?
A playtest is just that -- you're testing the game through real-world play. And even then, all you're really able to accurately test is how the procedures mesh with the human element.
And now they're just finally getting around to actually doing the real design and development.
"D&DN: a stack of fuck-shit on top of itself"

I know why this became the case, ..... I just don't want to have to believe/accept it.
*WARNING*: I say "fuck" a lot.
"The most patriotic thing you can do as an American is to become filthy, filthy rich."
- Mark Cuban

"Game design has no obligation to cater to people who don’t buy into the premise of the game"

TGD -- skirting the edges of dickfinity since 2003.

Public Service Announcement
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Voss wrote:*and the majority of the audience are people who still hung around the WotC website and forums.
or jsut didn't get banned for trashing 4th and calling it the steaming pile of shit that it is right on the WotC forums.