Image macros that make you laugh, cry, or both.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Eh. Going as Dionysian as possible is hardly a good way to prove that you should be part of guiding society. The ends were certainly good, but with the means they chose, it's hardly surprising the suffragettes ran into so much stonewalling.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

fectin wrote:Eh. Going as Dionysian as possible is hardly a good way to prove that you should be part of guiding society.
What the fuck is that supposed to mean?
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

It means that holding half the population of the world as second-class citizens is pretty effing deplorable, but that Suffragette tactics may very well have hurt their cause more than they helped. Via wiki:
http://www.johndclare.net/Women2_DidSuf ... esHelp.htm
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/docu ... gettes.pdf

...exactly like any sane person would expect. The fuck did you think I meant?
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

fectin wrote:It means that holding half the population of the world as second-class citizens is pretty effing deplorable, but that Suffragette tactics may very well have hurt their cause more than they helped. Via wiki:
http://www.johndclare.net/Women2_DidSuf ... esHelp.htm
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/docu ... gettes.pdf

...exactly like any sane person would expect. The fuck did you think I meant?
For those of us too lazy to read through a poorly formatted article and a lengthy PDF, do you mind giving a summary of said tactics?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

fectin wrote:but that Suffragette tactics

The fuck did you think I meant?
No, I mean, what the fuck does using the term Dynosian mean when describing their tactics?

Are you saying they ate too much food one their marches? They sexed too much on their marches? What did they do that makes a description of "Going as Dionysian as possible" accurate or even helpful?

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

RobbyPants wrote:For those of us too lazy to read through a poorly formatted article and a lengthy PDF, do you mind giving a summary of said tactics?
TL;DR: Bombs in churches, vandalism, and arson. As reported and praised by the Suffragette newspaper, apparently.

@Kaelik
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dionysian

Very roughly, Dionysian is destroying or eschewing the trappings of civilization and Apollonian is building or preserving them. It's more complicated than just good and bad (e.g. abolitionism is probably Dionysian), but generally if you want to be part of some society, you should avoid tearing that society down.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

No, generally Dionysian means getting drunk having parties, and fucking around. It does not mean destroying civilization.

Which is what you would find out if you read the things that show up right at the top of your own google search.

So yes, you used a word to mean something it doesn't fucking mean, IE violence, and then you are too stupid to see how a reference to hedonism is confusing in that context.

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Sadistically adorable and adorably sadistic. I like.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Kaelik wrote:No, generally Dionysian means getting drunk having parties, and fucking around. It does not mean destroying civilization.

Which is what you would find out if you read the things that show up right at the top of your own google search.

So yes, you used a word to mean something it doesn't fucking mean, IE violence, and then you are too stupid to see how a reference to hedonism is confusing in that context.
You're thinking of "Bacchanalian".
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Uh, both those words refer to the same greco-roman god of getting roaring drunk.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

fectin wrote:
Kaelik wrote:No, generally Dionysian means getting drunk having parties, and fucking around. It does not mean destroying civilization.

You're thinking of "Bacchanalian".
No, I am thinking of Dionysian. Here, from there very first link of the google search: "Dionysus is the god of wine, ecstasy, and intoxication."

So are you going to admit that asking what you meant was perfectly valid when I googled it first, and the first two links tell me that:
1) The definition of the term Dionysian is "of or relating to the Greek god Dionysis."
2) The Greek god Dionysis is the Greek god of drinking, partying, whoring, sexing, and sexing, not the Greek god of overthrowing the existing political system through violent murder and riots.

Or are you going to keep pushing this thing where I was supposed to interpret your reference to a god of drinking and sex as attempting to destroy the system through violent murder.
Last edited by Kaelik on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

And yet they are different words.

Now, granted Dionyssian and Apollonian have specific meanings in philosophical contexts. Everyone raise your hand if you'd ever heard them to mean those things, I'll wait.

Yeah, fectin, I'm sorry, but Kaelik is totally right here. To a person who does not have a very specific background in philosophy, dionyssian just means "characteristic of having roaring parties."
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

And even if we're talking about The Birth of Tragedy, the Suffragettes still aren't Dionysian.

Fighting, even violently, for the right to vote -- that is, to participate in a civic institution -- is not and never will be the same as "trying to destroy civilization." Neither side has a monopoly on violence-- Nietzsche namechecks the Spartans as the original Apollonians in his fake history.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

/me is impressed by this:
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Okay, that is pretty sweet.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

While there is a certain amount of my inner child that thinks that's awesome, I can't help but look at that footprint and think "why not emulators?".
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

'cause emulators don't look that cool.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

A room full of posters + a stylized computer full of emulators probably looks cooler to me. Granted, if you already have all those systems then this works.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

What's with the internet and fedoras (third one down)?
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Guyr Adamantine
Master

Post by Guyr Adamantine »

Shrapnel wrote:
What's with the internet and fedoras (third one down)?
http://www.explosm.net/comics/3089/

http://www.explosm.net/comics/3167/
Tumbling Down
Journeyman

Post by Tumbling Down »

Shrapnel wrote:What's with the internet and fedoras (third one down)?
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Can't believe I hadn't seen this one before:

"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."