The Shadowrun Situation

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Wasn't Catalyst stealing from Topps? I'm kind of surprised that Topps didn't transfer the license to someone without a history of stealing from them.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

No, LLC was taking from Catalyst with the good old "oh, I didn't know that wasn't MY money" defense. Topps still got paid, as far as I know.
To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I seem to recall some business about stiffing them on foreign royalties and underreporting sales figures.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

Oh, that's just business as usual. You get in trouble if you don't do that.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Rawbeard wrote:Do you need a hug?
I need a hug. These awesome folks have decided to make an RPG in collaboration with CGL. Shitfuck.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

You can have that hug. Every day someone decides to work with or for CGL is a sad day. If they at least did not print shit on paper and made some decent products instead...
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

I was looking at SR5's matrix section and apparently they just directly stole the GOD concept from FT.

Par for the course?
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Silent Wayfarer wrote:I was looking at SR5's matrix section and apparently they just directly stole the GOD concept from FT.

Par for the course?
The Grid Overwatch Division is not mine. It's originally from Target: Matrix I believe.

-Username17
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Silent Wayfarer wrote:I was looking at SR5's matrix section and apparently they just directly stole the GOD concept from FT.

Par for the course?
The Grid Overwatch Division is not mine. It's originally from Target: Matrix I believe.

-Username17
Shows how much I know!
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

I went to Dragon Con this weekend, and at the Steve Jackson Booth I ran across the Atlas guy. He had a bunch of cool stuff (some new Ars Magica stuff) but one of the things that stood out was Shadowrun 5. He had taken 60 copies off the Catalyst guys going to PAX. When I talked to him on Monday, he only had 3 copies of SR5 left.

I almost bought it, but i couldnt make myself give Catalyst money.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Even if SR5 sells like hotcakes, that only suggests that people are hungry for a better SR rules system after SR4A.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

it suggests shadowrun itself is still a sought after universe for people, because it mixes the two big cool styles of fantasy and scifi together.
honestly? after the bulldrek i have read about SR5 by now, i'd sooner play SR4 than 5, and me and my group as a whole decided that SR4 wasn't for us . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Otakusensei
Master

Post by Otakusensei »

CGL is all about spending the remaining cred of the setting and riding as far as the good will of the few remaining crews will take them. In the end the table top version of Shadowrun will die a lonely death when even the most diehard and clueless refuse to pay for Hardy's scraps and finish his job at the table. No one at CGL is laughing all the way to the bank on SR5.

And that's fine. Shadowrun Returns isn't awful. SR4 isn't awful, and SR4A is awfully pretty if that counts for anything. The reference tables are great. We have things to do and ways to enjoy the setting that don't involve CGL. If they were a little more prolific in leveraging the license, or produced a better product, I might be more bent out of shape. But the fact is that we can pretty much ignore the actual license holder because they've really marginalized themselves. It's nice. My players don't know any of the new Shadowrun books, and I don't tell them about them. I just write my own stuff and have a slightly better release schedule than CGL. I'm guessing about the same production costs as well.
Concise Locket
Apprentice

Post by Concise Locket »

I have exactly zero interest in SR5 but has anyone played or attempted a session with the new rule set? Anyone planning to give it a review?
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

Sounds like you have more than zero interest :)

I'm in a few PbP games. So far, the biggest thing I want to complain about is how horrible the new Priority build system is. Second place goes to how dumb the whole wireless bonus thing is.

The biggest thing I like is...hmmm. Nothing yet, really. Maybe going back to old-school initiative. Although to be fair, there are still whole sections of the game I haven't interacted with yet (new Matrix, new magic-preparations, etc).
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
Concise Locket
Apprentice

Post by Concise Locket »

phlapjackage wrote:Sounds like you have more than zero interest :) .
;)

I'll qualify: I have zero interest in adapting SR5 based on what I've read. But I remain open to influence.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

I did take a look at it once, for my sins.

Whenever there was progress in the game they subverted it, like the wireless Matrix. They rolled back pretty much everything they could, like the priority system. They changed things arbitrarily and for no apparent purpose, like the magic preparations. As I understand it they even, and I love this, managed to retroactively explain away the terrible characterization that came from having a bunch of hacks and scabs finish off fourth edition by making them delusions in Fastjack's oncoming dementia, in the process pretty much destroying characters that some of us originated and rendering an unclear amount of the stuff we worked on as never having happened.

Aside from the covers (which are awful) especially the brony edition (awful AND stupid, a combination Jason Hardy specializes in), the book is fairly pretty. That's really all I can say.
vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

SR5 feels less like a development of a new edition and more like mid-stage between third and fourth. That is not a good thing.
Then, once you have absorbed the lesson, that your so-called "friends" are nothing but meat sacks flopping around in the fashion of an outgassing corpse, pile all of your dice and pencils and graph-paper in the corner and SET THEM ON FIRE. Weep meaningless tears.

-DrPraetor
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

Their willingness to shit all over their product is astonishing.
vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

There are apparently far more grognards who <3 3rd edition than I realised.
Then, once you have absorbed the lesson, that your so-called "friends" are nothing but meat sacks flopping around in the fashion of an outgassing corpse, pile all of your dice and pencils and graph-paper in the corner and SET THEM ON FIRE. Weep meaningless tears.

-DrPraetor
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

vagrant wrote:There are apparently far more grognards who <3 3rd edition than I realised.
One of my players in a 4E campaign I run *constantly* compares the rules to SR3 when they turn out to differ. I'm using Ends of the Matrix, and he still bristles at the idea of people accepting a constant wireless presence.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Did you hit him on the head with his IPAD* while shoving his iphone* up his ass?

* Replace IPAD and Iphone with Android equivalents if necessary.
vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

I wonder what the reaction would be if SR5 came out as SR4. Would people compare it favourably to 3rd or not?

-DrPraetor
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

sabs wrote:Did you hit him on the head with his IPAD* while shoving his iphone* up his ass?
He doesn't like smartphones, and only even has a plain cellphone because of social/family pressure.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

So he's a luddite?

Okay then :) Why is he playing shadowrun?