I am now Dr Surgo, and moved to the bay area

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Surgo
Duke

I am now Dr Surgo, and moved to the bay area

Post by Surgo »

Though not in the same sense as Frank! I just (Oct 21) successfully defended my PhD thesis in computer engineering. I'd say "gg easy" but really the biggest part was trying to stay motivated for the four years that it took...not so much the difficulty of the work itself.

Rather than attempt to compete in the stupid academic job market, and knowing that any attempt at teaching on my part would result in a generation of terribly educated students, I've joined a megacorp (it's a company that you probably use daily and rhymes with "bugle"). I'm left wondering why I didn't do this years ago instead of getting a PhD. So take that as a lesson, kids!

Anyway, yeah, moved to the Bay area, if anyone else still lives here we should totally hang out and stuff.
Last edited by Surgo on Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Good luck.

I've joined megacorp two years ago, but I'm still going to do master's degree in Informatics. Nothing wrong with having more titles on your CV ;)
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Congratulations, Surgo! I've still gotta start my PhD....
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
K
King

Post by K »

I'm back in the Bay too!

Woot!
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

megacugle
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Congratulations!
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Congrats, Doc Surgo. Do you have a spunky sidekick yet?
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Congrats on being a corporate drone, Surgo.

Watch out for pink mohawks :D
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Congrats, Surgo!
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Congrats! Good luck at your new job.
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

Welcome to the west coast Surgo.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Congrats, and welcome to the west coast.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Congrats, although I have no idea what megacorp you're talking about, genuinely.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Congratulations, enjoy the clean air and great food of the west coast.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Welcome! I recommend Acme bread very highly. If I knew exactly where you are I could possibly give more advice.
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.