Annoying Game Questions You Want Answered

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

A player wants to be a minotaur, and I'd like one without racial hit dice or level adjustment. We're playing Tome classes and feats with Pathfinder races (I like the floating +2s). Some candidates I'm considering:

In the Company of Minotaurs, a third party Pathfinder product, copied from a review of it:
We get two racial trait-sets for the minotaurs:
Pure Taurians get +2 to Str, Con and Wis and -2 Dex and Cha, Darkvision 60 ft., always know where North is, +2 to perception and intimidate, immunity to magical confusions, a gnatural 1d4 gore attack and familiarity with Taurian weapons.
Mereitaurs (the impure ones) get +2 Con and Wis and -2 Cha, Darkvision 60 ft., always know where North is, +2 to Craft and Profession checks as well as any research-based Knowledge-checks, are immune to magical confusion effects, familiar with Taurian weapons and finally can choose two of these three: To gain +5 ft. movement, the 1d4-gore attack or +2 to pereption.

The Taurians get 7 alternate racial traits:
-At home in the Wild: +2 to Survival in exchange for the +2 to Perception
-Bestial: Additional +2 to Str for another -2 to Int, this is supposed to bridge the gap towards bestiary minotaurs and not necessarily available for players
-Divine Life: Exchange immunities against confusion effects for a +2 to saves against necromantic effects
-Dwarven Heritage: Proficient in Dwarven weapons instead of Taurian ones.
-Orcish Heritage: Proficient in Orcish weapons instead of Taurian ones.
-Quickfooted (only Mereitaurs): Base speed 40 ft. and +4 to acrobatics when jumping/leaping. Replaces Taurian Heritage.
-Surefooted (only Taurians): +2 to CMD against trip and bull rush, but base speed becomes 25 ft.
An Eberron conversion for Pathfinder
Monstrous Humanoid Type
Large Size (-1 to AC & Attack, +1 CMB & CMD)
Base Speed: 30'
Attribute Modifications: +4 to Strength and Constitution, -2 to Dexterity and Charisma
Natural Armor: +1 natural armor bonus to AC
Natural Attack: Gore (1d6, primary)
Reach: Minotaurs have +5' reach.
Automatic Languages: Giant. Bonus Languages: Common, Goblin, Orc, Undercommon
Favored Class Options:
Barbarian: Add +1 to the barbarian's total number of rage rounds per day.
Fighter: Add +2 to the fighter's Constitution score the purpose of determining when he dies from negative hit points.
Ranger: Add +1/4 to a single existing favored enemy bonus (maximum bonus +1 per favored enemy).
Witch: Add one spell from the witch spell list to the witch's familiar. This spell must be at least one level below the highest spell level he can cast. If the witch ever replaces her familiar, the new familiar knows these bonus spells.
A Dragonlance conversion for Pathfinder
Minotaur Racial Traits

+2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma: Minotaurs are strong and powerful, but their arrogance and brutish appearance can be offencive to other races.

Medium: Minotaurs are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Normal Speed: Minotaurs have a base speed of 30 feet.

Thick Hide: Minotaurs gain a +2 natural armour bonus.

Gore: A minotaur may use his horns as natural weapons to make a gore attack, dealing 1d6 points of damage plus the minotaur’s Strength modifier. A minotaur can attack with a weapon at his normal attack bonus and make a gore attack as a secondary attack (-5 penalty on the attack roll and half Strength bonus on the damage roll).

Born to the Sea: Minotaurs receive a +2 racial bonus on Intimidate, Profession (sailor), and Swim skill checks. Minotaurs are familiar with the sea and are fearsome.

Heightened Senses: A minotaur can select the scent special quality (see the Pathfinder RPG Bestiary) as a feat.

Weapon Familiarity: Minotaurs treat any weapon with the word “minotaur” in its name as a martial weapon.

Languages: Minotaurs begin play speaking Common and Kothian. Minotaurs with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Kalinese, Nordmaarian, Ogre, Saifhum.
Would you guys recommend any of these, or a different one entirely?

Also, does any 3.X race (official or homebrew you approve of) have a racial bonus to wisdom?

Also also, do you guys prefer the 3.5 size modifiers or the Pathfinder ones? I don't know either system well enough to decide on one to pick.

What do minotaurs eat anyway? Can they survive on grass?
Last edited by radthemad4 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Races_of_W ... es#Aasimar

IIRC, pathfinder basically makes combat maneuvers impossible for PCs, so I'd stay away from that.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

radthemad4 wrote: What do minotaurs eat anyway? Can they survive on grass?
Wait, someone published a book on Minotaurs and didn't answer that? Fuckers.

But minotaurs would have to eat high-energy plants and prepared meat. They don't have the teeth to eat prey animals directly, and they literally don't have the stomach(s) for grass. They could conceivably eat raw meat if they tenderize it by aging or more likely brute force.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

radthemad4 wrote:Also, does any 3.X race (official or homebrew you approve of) have a racial bonus to wisdom?
According to this, there are 26. However, many of those are from savage species.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I think minotaurs are carnivorous, which is strange for having a bull head.

Bull head and sharp teeth?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

radthemad4 wrote:Also, does any 3.X race (official or homebrew you approve of) have a racial bonus to wisdom?
The Tome Aasimar does, and it has my full approval.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

@ubernoob and angelfromanotherpin: Thanks, can't believe I didn't notice that the Tome Aasimar had a wisdom bonus. The charisma bonus is nice too. I'm using Tome Maneuvers.
rasmuswagner wrote:Wait, someone published a book on Minotaurs and didn't answer that? Fuckers.
I didn't get the book so I don't know if it mentions the topic. I just got the racial stats from a review of the book on the page I linked. Thanks for the answering.

@Tiac: Thanks, I love comprehensive threads like that. The anthropomorphic animal racial modifiers seem a bit random sometimes.

@Sigma999: Gorillas and orangutans are vegetarians (chimps aren't) IIRC, so I guess it isn't that weird (not saying we're descended from them, but I don't know the dietary habits of whatever the last common ancestors' species is).
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

radthemad4 wrote:@Tiac: Thanks, I love comprehensive threads like that. The anthropomorphic animal racial modifiers seem a bit random sometimes.
That is because they are made by the most fundamentally unsound possible method, which is taking things that are made to be monsters and not PCs, and changing some things about them but no individual regard to what attributes of each type of monster need changing for a real character.

Which of course creates really stupid things like Anthropomorphic bats that are nearly unplayable for anyone who is not a Druid, and the most overpowered druid race that could ever exist.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

You are an adventurer with a warship and a few redshirts under your command. You're supposed to investigate an island, and Mister Cavern hands you this map:

Where would you land, what would you prioritize first? There's a chance that the island is a pirate base, but they don't seem to have obvious patrol boats or lookouts.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Investigate for what? If its for pirates, that little gap in the rocks north of the fort (assuming it is big enough, no idea what the scale is supposed to be). Presumably if there are pirates, they'd anchor on the south side of the island.

If its just for the jollies of investigation, then it doesn't matter much. Any place is as good or as bad a place to start.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

You have a magic compass that points toward a ship the navy lost. The vessel seems to have been somehow transported to the island.

I asked somebody else, and they said the same thing about the little gap. Thanks, Voss, I think this has helped me figure out how the PCs are likely to approach.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

sigma999 wrote:I think minotaurs are carnivorous, which is strange for having a bull head.

Bull head and sharp teeth?
Cows have been known to eat chickens
Deer are also known to eat bones, for calcium.
http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology ... -and-deer/
That article talks about deer that eat fish and small mammals and has a video of a deer eating a bird. Also mentions an elephant that ate two people at a zoo.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/vi ... ?id=200915
This elephant killed 17 people and was found with human remains in his stomach.

These animals have mouths filled with thwomp rocks, they can grind bone and muscle down.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:You are an adventurer with a warship and a few redshirts under your command. You're supposed to investigate an island, and Mister Cavern hands you this map:
Where would you land, what would you prioritize first? There's a chance that the island is a pirate base, but they don't seem to have obvious patrol boats or lookouts.
i would anchor just outside the grey rock outcropping and row in.

i would need to really know more about the sizes of things in relation to my "war"ship, as well how big is the warship?

the large grey rock has a bit more cover than the dead tree launch (is that a gravestone near the dead tree?) so any shots fired from artillery from the fort would likely be blocked by the outcropping the ship is behind.

this prevents you from being ambushed by anyone just muckign around in the rocks for a warship to be seen, and also presents a chance to ambush them as they come around the large grey rock and lay waste to they and pick up their remains after to take back for rewards, and collect their booty from the empty fort after.

the alter on the south outcropping of the eastern shore is a bit too difficult to see also, so if it was a bit clearer what can be seen there, this may change where i would land.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

I say you need to check out that wooden fort first. After all, where else are you going to hide an entire ship on that island?
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Grek wrote:After all, where else are you going to hide an entire ship on that island?
buried in that patch of dirt at the end of the path leading from the fort maybe?

but who said a ship was hidden on the island to find? i thought it was about finding the pirates and you arrived by a ship that was magically sent to the island?
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

He specified in a later post that you have a magic compass that points to a ship you're supposed to find. And that it points to this island.

I'm pretty sure that if the ship has been buried underground, you probably don't want it back.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Personally, I'd probably check out the fort first, unless I was really hoping to get the ship back without having to fight the pirates.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Honestly, I'd be rather curious about the large patch of dirt in the north east, and the blue and green branches growing out of the water to the south.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

Anyone got advice on drawing a world map for a campaign setting?
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

icyshadowlord wrote:Anyone got advice on drawing a world map for a campaign setting?
Dwarf Fortress world generation is really in depth in terms of realistic geography, screencap it a few times and combine the features of the sections you like.

There was also a Wandering Monsters article on map making:
http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx ... d/20131211
Basically it says to make comparisons to the real world to get a sense of scale when you're plopping down cities and rivers and continents.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

#1 advice is that you might not necessarily want a campaign setting with geography to which normal advice applies. #2 is that there's creativity and "creativity". If your world is laid out in concentric circles like Talisman, that's ok in my book. If you flip compass directions for the lulz, I'll
say mean things about you on the internet.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

The world of my campaign setting is somewhat similar to Earth when it comes down to the amount of continents and how much water there is, so yeah.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i'd anchor my ship at the upper right end of the island.
Set up Camp close to the right shrine-thingie and have a line of defence up on the bare patch between the 2 stone boulders on each side of the patch of dirt there.
send a scouting party by boat or swimming around the smaller rocks at the lower part of the island to try and get some intel on the encampment on the left part of the island.
another scouting party with another boat up around the upper part of the island, investigate the center shrine thingie maybe and then go on further along the shore line to the trees and use them as cover for ambush on the encampment, the first scouting party should go via boat to the rocks south/east of the encampment for the same purposes.
If both of these are in position, then have the people you had as your line of defence up on the dirt patch advance via land, secure the center shrine thingie and set up defensive perimeter there, and then at last, go for the encampment.
if your scouts find anything interesting/dangerous.
if not, take a dump on the island and leave for more interesting parts of the world.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Grek wrote:He specified in a later post that you have a magic compass that points to a ship you're supposed to find. And that it points to this island.

I'm pretty sure that if the ship has been buried underground, you probably don't want it back.
well then don't even land on the island. sail around it looking for the stolen ship moored somewhere. send some redshirts onto the island in dinghies to scout it out.

who said the ship was wanted back? a buried ship can be unburied and cleaned out. or it could have been something ON the ship that was important. we really have no info to go on for that, only where would we land on the island. but then that forces you onto a railroad as you cold do MANY other things.

is this northeast thing a way into the island that could be reached underwater? what tools are available on the warship you are on?

if it points TO the missing ship, then sailing around the island would let you know by paying attention to the compass the location of the missing ship via triangulation.

knowing where it is, would be a lot easier to tell where you should moor or land to be able to get closest to it.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

icyshadowlord wrote:Anyone got advice on drawing a world map for a campaign setting?
http://www.cartographersguild.com/conte ... rials.html

Lot of stuff here, and the site hosts maps as well. You could get advice from other fantasy cartographers on your work in progress.

Thanks for all the feedback on my map, just finished the adventure around half an hour ago. People started on the northeastern coast, using the moderately rocky shoreline to help hide their ship's boats. From there they hit the sparring grounds on the eastern side, and moved up the road towards the fort.

EDIT: nobody wandered into range of the tentacles erupting from the blackened rocks, which is a little sad. There was a delightful yakety sax chase when the ghost dryad sicked a pair of bulettes on the party, though.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.