The strongest monster you've beaten without magic? D&D

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

My AD&D "dark" paladin drew the hatred of some kind of storm elemental from another dimension by drawing the wrong card from a magic deck.

I actually had to fight the damned thing after one session months later, it caught me by surprise.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

My earth elemental worked with a rogue to lure an army of ghouls into oil-soaked grass repeatedly. There were a few items of energy resistance and boosted speed in reserve, but it turned out that we didn't need them since the ghouls never came up with an effective counter-tactic. I figure we killed around 80-100 undead with a few hundred gold in oil and some firebombs.
Negative Zero
NPC

Post by Negative Zero »

I killed a handful of pretty tough Zergling-with-bioharpoons creatures in an online campaign a few months back as a Drider schoolgirl using a Psionic variant of Genowhirl's 'Tome' Assassin.
I don't think she used any magic, although she might've had some temp HP from Vigor.

Killed a handful of above-CR regenerating fungus monsters within the past week, using a character whose arm was replaced with a Huge-sized chaingun.
Not magic, but the thing was doing like 6d8 damage a round.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

I'm tempted to put the party up against a Starspawn in our naval Pathfinder game. There will be 3 paths toward victory. One could probably be done without any magic, since it involves actually using the incredibly sketchy ship combat rules.

The party will have several war galleys. Each ship has over 1500 hit points and does at least 60d8 damage on a successful broadside hit. The party could probably get by just with good numbers for sailing and aiding the gunnery sergeants. Bonus points for finishing off the monster with a ram attack. Might even be practical if they need to shut off its regeneration, since the ballistas are on different decks and kind of awkard to fit with flaming rounds if you don't have special bolts.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

I once played a Minotaur (as a Monster), using the 3 '20' crit = auto-death rule, I charged and exploded through a Frost Worm (CR 12, really?)

Other than that, does playing a Paladin throwing a Vicious Greatsword at a Mindflayer, critting it, and having it run count?

If that's too Fiat for ya, I did once take out a Chuul as a Nezumi Swordsage invisibily Iajitsuing it with a Mango Sword.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Aryxbez wrote:I once played a Minotaur (as a Monster), using the 3 '20' crit = auto-death rulecompletely made up bullshit not reflected in any rules,
Fixed that for you.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

Kaelik wrote:
Aryxbez wrote:I once played a Minotaur (as a Monster), using the 3 '20' crit = auto-death rulecompletely made up bullshit not reflected in any rules,
Fixed that for you.
DMG p. 28 wrote:VARIANT: INSTANT KILL
When you or a player rolls a natural 20 on an attack roll, a critical roll is made to see if a critical hit is scored. If that critical roll is also a 20, that's considered a threat for an instant kill. Now a third roll, an instant kill roll, is made. If that roll scores a hit on the target in question (just like the a normal critical roll after a threat) the target is instantly slain.
Previn
Knight-Baron

Post by Previn »

I had a party take out a mature adult black dragon (CR14-18 depending on what you believe) without any spells or magic items to mimic spells/spellcasting, though they setup an ambush so depending on how you view stealth rules…. The party consisted of 2 rangers, a rogue, a fighter and a paladin. The rogue did the vast majority (200+) of the work with a pair of Swords of Subtlety, with the party gibbing it before it got to act on the first turn after the surprise round.

I have seen an entirely no-magic frenzied berserker take out a Nightwalker (CR16) in a single round from full and had a player’s changeling rogue/warshaper that ruined/won an adventure when the party got split up, killing dozens of creatures at or below her CR (12) until she could collect all of the party members.

Also had a strange incident that involved a monk grappling a kobold sorcerer over a cliff and into the water below and then maintain the grapple to drown the sorcerer. Was around CR11 I think and involved a charge from something like 900’ away so the little guy never expected it. I can’t remember the exact details though. I do know the kobold was given a more fluff spell selection which contributed to his drowning.

I’ve played a ranger that mixed poison and ranged combat to good effect, relying on volume of fire to force poison saves over actual damage. Play was very hit or miss, game ended at 15th, so there was probably at least a few things at or above his CR that he took down.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Kaelik wrote:Fixed that for you.
Well, I did admit it was "fiat" in some sense at the end. Although as zugschef pointed out, it's an actual variant rule reflected on page 28 of the DMG.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

If you count how many things we've killed inside an antimagic field, the list would be pretty extensive. I'm not sure if antimagic counts as magic in and of itself or, because it suppresses magic, counts as being without magic. For example, I've watched someone squeeze a lich to death inside an anti-magic field. We felt bad for the Lich by the end.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I would say Antimagic counts as magic because you're using magic to shut off the defenses and attacks of a lot of creatures.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.