On the casters of spells

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

That's all good suggestions. I think I won't be able to do that much for the duskblade, but "expand his spell list" is a great suggestion. I don't know if I can do that exactly, but CArc or CM had that ring of arbitrary spell storing, which might work. Runestaves might be too weird for now, but probably a good idea slightly later. Same with modular armor, but again, probably worth a re-look in a few weeks. I also don't know if I can convince them to use planar binding specifically (that might be show, not tell), but the basic idea is sound.

City beyond the gate would be hilarious, but I have selected RHoD instead. previous GM was leaning that way before tagging out, and painted a glowing picture of it, so it should be easy to get everyone into it. Having read Frank's old writeup, I figure I can solve most of the problems by using especially sub-optimal tactics for everything.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Echoes
Journeyman

Post by Echoes »

ubernoob wrote:OK, runestaves are fucking weird. There's shit like shield on the already printed ones, but the guidelines on creating runestaves say this:
If you want to create a runestaff of your own design, it should have two to five arcane spells associated with it, and the spells should be thematically linked in some way. The lowest-level spell in a runestaff should be at least 3rd level. Crafting a runestaff requires the Craft Staff feat, along with any spells held by the runestaff. You don't need to supply any mate­rial components or foci required by the spells in a runestaff, nor do you need to pay any XP cost required by the spells, since the wielder of the staff pays those costs. To set the price of a runestaff, multiply the level of the high­est-level spell in the runestaff by itself, then by 400 gp. For each additional spell in the runestaff, square that spell's level and multiply by 200 gp. Add the values together to find the final price of the runestaff. If a spell can be used less than three times per day, reduce the gp multiplier for that spell by 100 per use below three (or 50 per use below three, for spells after the first).
Now, it says should there, which is a suggestion and not a hard rule. Anyways, I guess I'm wrong. Runestaves are even better than I thought.
That got errata'd, along with most of the listed prices for runestaves.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Why are we worried about the Duskblade being overshadowed again? I should think they would be fine alongside a Barbarian/Fighter.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Because it's being played by a 2e preferring player who doesn't optimize in a party with a druid who does, and became Sir Snarl, the Gentleman Velociraptor.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

And because I already know how to boost a barbarian and a rogue, but not a duskblade.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

fectin wrote:And because I already know how to boost a barbarian and a rogue, but not a duskblade.
One of my main players in my game is a duskblade. It's been 6 months since I was able to run... so i cant remember the level off hand. Between 7 and 10 though.

She is routinely a shining star in combat and acted as the main meat-shield until our fighter and paladin joined up.

I'd say expanding the spell list would be most beneficial because shocking grasp is definitely the go-to spell for the majority of conflicts.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Thread made me laugh.

Go for it. Encourage it. I had a friend back in highschool that outright abused the AD&D Druid shapeshifting. His favorite form was the T Rex.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

codeGlaze wrote:
fectin wrote:And because I already know how to boost a barbarian and a rogue, but not a duskblade.
One of my main players in my game is a duskblade. It's been 6 months since I was able to run... so i cant remember the level off hand. Between 7 and 10 though.

She is routinely a shining star in combat and acted as the main meat-shield until our fighter and paladin joined up.

I'd say expanding the spell list would be most beneficial because shocking grasp is definitely the go-to spell for the majority of conflicts.
An easy possibility to open up more options for channel is to let ranged touch/ray spells count as touch attacks for the channel. So you don't just get Shocking Grasp and Vampiric Touch as your channeled spells, they can instead use things like Ray of Enfeeblement, Scorching Ray, Ray of Exhaustion, and Disintegrate wit their attacks.

You probably still want to provide some expansion of the list, but it's a start.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Ultimately, the spell-channeling ability of the Duskblade comes down to two things:
  • Gibbing people with your sword, but with magic.
  • Getting way more uses out of a helpful spell at high levels by full attacking with it.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Okay. Updated situation.
The rogue was really enthusiastic about picking up leadership at level six. I suspect fiancee of egging him on, but whatever. He really wanted a bard, because they're so effective. After quizzical looks, he decided on wizard or sorcerer. I ended up building him a Petal (MM3) Dread Necromancer (because it is simple, shockingly durable, enough lower level that she will never outshine the party, and very hard to co-optimize with).
I handwaved a bit and gave her some identification tricks (custom glasses and high knowledge checks). Rogue thinks she's fantastic, so mission accomplished there.

They just hit 7th level, which means she hit 3rd. What feat should she take to stay helpful in a 7th level party? This is a cohort remember, so she doesn't need to contribute in the same front-line way. I'd also rather avoid making her more interesting than the actual PCs, and also avoid relying on Rogue to learn more rules.
(currently has: Tomb Tainted Soul, Spell Focus (Evil), and Shadow Weave Magic. Yes, I know that's not optimal).
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Wondrous Item Creation, Brew Potion, something like that?
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Maybe. Dread Necro doesn't get a lot of useful spells for potions though, and same story for most other item pre-reqs.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I'd probably just goose her spell list with Arcane Disciple provided she's got the wisdom to make it work. Get yourself the Evil domain then get some desecrate and animate dead scrolls to whip him up a skeleton mount if/when you murder something cool.
bears fall, everyone dies