Character Optimization request thread.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

So for the cleric I'm DMPCing for the benefit of my Age of Worms group, I'm doing a Dweomerkeeper/Shadowcraft Mage thingamajig. The question is this:

Which do I bring online first, Supernatural Spell or Shadow Illusion?
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

At 3rd level, a Barbarian is actually pretty good. Sure, at later levels they run into issues, but for the first few you've got the "reach weapon, Power Attack, done" thing going as well as anyone else, with Rage being a larger bonus than most classes can muster.

Simple combination:
Human Barbarian 3, Strength 18->20, Cha 12
Unnatural Presence (trait), Intimidating Prowess, Power Attack, Cornugan Smash, Quick Reflexes (rage power)
Gear: +1 Lucern Hammer, Scary Tattoo (intimidate tool)

So you hit people for d12+14 and auto-intimidate most of them, and you have a reach weapon with two AoOs. If you can get a decent Dex too, then go Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 instead, take Combat Reflexes, and take something else as the rage power.

That's maxed for 3rd level though - if the game is going to continue longer, than Strix is better. I don't think you need Scent yet (not many invisible things at 3rd level). Stand Still - I've tried, and it doesn't impress me - if you're a primary damage dealer, you're just putting things off for a round. If you're not ... then something has gone wrong with your build.

At higher levels, if you get a source of fatigue-immunity, then you can Rage Cycle, meaning you turn your rage on and off every round, so that 1/rage powers become 1/round powers. Spell Sunder is pretty nice this way.
Last edited by Ice9 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

ubernoob wrote:supernatural spell 1/day for raise dead etc. Cleric 5 (Church inquisitor whatever) / dweomerkeeper 4/ scm 3 / dweomerkeeper the rest.
Yeah, the utility of being able to raise peeps for free is a rather strong pull, but how are you getting raise dead down to a standard action casting time? Unless you actually mean revivify?
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Is it possible to min-max in Microlite 20? I want to play a cleric archer/beatdown build -- if I give in to a couple of friends' nagging -- but the DM insists on core-only, start at level 1, high lethality. But right now it doesn't look to be all that viable.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Antariuk
Knight

Post by Antariuk »

I think by being a cleric/whatever you already chose the best option available, at least that's what I remember from the couple of oneshots I ran a few years back. A 5th level fighter vs. a fighter 1/cleric4 is so one-sided it's not even funny anymore. I gave up on M20 it since lots of people re-incorporated additional d20 rules to deal with the unavoidable questions, most of which introduced by the use of spells, while still claiming to play the "pure" experience.
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

You can multiclass in M20? What the hell?

While we're on the subject, how do extra attacks work in that system? It looks like you just get an extra attack when your absolute bonus reaches the +6/+11/etc. breakpoints. This seems abusable. But on the other hand, it looks like the number of your attacks caps out at three, anyway.

And how does the above system work with two-weapon fighting? Do you use each weapon for each 'normal' attack or are those two attacks the only ones you get, ever, while further attacks just use one weapon?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Antariuk
Knight

Post by Antariuk »

The core document just says that fighters and rogues take -2 for attacking with two light weapons in the same round. Since it doesn't say that you can only do that once your total bonus is +6 (and because the 2-weapon paragraph precedes the BAB paragraph), you can totally attack with +4/+4, -1/-1 at 6th level.
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Okay, so where's the smoking gun that says that you can multiclass? And what's the cap on iterative attacks? It only gives up to a -10, so I'm assuming three. Also:
Fighters and Rogues can use DEX bonus + Level as Melee attack
bonus instead if wielding a light weapon. Fighters and Rogues can
wield 2 light weapons and attack with both in a round if they take
a -2 penalty on all attack rolls that round.
It doesn't say that you can do that more than once, either.

Antariuk
Knight

Post by Antariuk »

I don't know if it's a hard rule from somewhere, but doesn't specific trump general? It only specifies "in a round", not the number of attacks, which makes sense because the number of attacks is defined in the paragraph below it. However, since the Core document only tells you so much this is something you have to figure out with your GM I guess.

Do you guys plan to create a real game, as in more than two sessons?
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

There's supposed to be a majority vote on whether the group starts at level 1 or at level 6 or so. It looks like level 1 is going to win, though.

The game is supposed to last for quite awhile, but I'm cynical on these promises. Especially for rules-light games.

Also, the DM said that we can use Microlite11 rules if we want to. There's some big cheese potential here, I think, but I'd like to hear you guys' opinion.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Beatstick Cleric, Druid with Natural Spell, Domain Wizard.

You don't need fancy tricks or any specific WBL-burning item for any of those. Everything that's necessary is on the SRD.
Last edited by Mask_De_H on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Are we talking PF or 3.5E? Regardless, halfling hurler isn't in either of the SRDs.

If you're going just by the 3.5E SRD, you can play a straight-up blaster cleric with the Charm and Madness domains. Take the Thaumaturgist prestige class and abuse the shit out of planar ally. Alternatively, if you got the feats and stats for it, feel free to pick up cleric archery. As an elf, your feats go into Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Craft Wondrous Item, and Precise Shot at 1st, 3rd, 6th, and 9th level. Craft Wondrous Item is non-negotiable for a feat, by the way.

ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Halfling hurler is the flask rogue right?
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

At level 8 you're probably best off with a wand of blink, boots of speed, and a bag of holding if you can afford it (otherwise you need to figure out where to store all those flasks: each one weighs a pound). Just remember to max out UMD and take your rank of SoH.

(deep halfling rogue 8; PBS, Rapid Shot, TWF)
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Strung Nether
Journeyman

Post by Strung Nether »

I'm involved in a skull and shackles pathfinder game, and I am the wizard along with a cleric and two melee things. I'm a conjuration wiz elf with improved init as my first feat. I was thinking of going into necromancy for flavor, even though the cleric can do that better than me if she wanted to. My main question is how to sandbag effectively when the DM is of the "pathfinder power-attack is fine, 3.5 powerattack was broken" variety. I am not very familiar with the pathfinder spells.

edit: I now realize that this might not be a general "optimize my character pls" thread and more of a specific "help this one guy out" thread. If that's the case, can we make a general "general character optimization" thread where people can post requests that don't exactly warrant an independent thread?
Last edited by Strung Nether on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Strung
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

Spells which temporarily disable enemies but which still leave them to be killed later by your melee guys should work - L1 color spray, L2 create pit or glitterdust, L3 stinking cloud or aqueous orb, etc. Create Pit creates an extradimensional space so it still works onboard ship, and indeed has odd shenanigans possible.

If that's too effective, you can sandbag by placing them cautiously or casting a lot of defensive spells instead.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

How can I optimized a pathfinder caster to get swarms of bees as fast as possible, what's the lowest level this can be achieved at?

Can I turn into a swarm of bees?
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Absolutely. If wasps are acceptable, and I hope they are, then you can turn your skin into wasps by level 6 with the spell Swarm Skin. It's actually a super awesome spell because all your skin comes off your bones and it turns into a wasp swarm over your bony skeleton. If you're character is a 7th level Witch you can actually vomit wasps for a few rounds before you become wasps if that's something you really want.
Last edited by Dean on Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
K
King

Post by K »

I think Vermin Shape I from Lords of Damned, Vol. 2 is the earliest. It's a 3rd level spell for witches and druids and 4th for Wiz/Sor. Pathfinder shapechanging has no rules against becoming swarms.

I'm sure no DM will deny a palette swap from the wasp swarm monster stats.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Wasn't there a spell thematically feat which reskinned all of your spells? I want to say it was from Forgotten realms, but not sure.

Edit:DYAC.
Last edited by fectin on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

deanruel87 wrote:Absolutely. If wasps are acceptable, and I hope they are, then you can turn your skin into wasps by level 6 with the spell Swarm Skin. It's actually a super awesome spell because all your skin comes off your bones and it turns into a wasp swarm over your bony skeleton. If you're character is a 7th level Witch you can actually vomit wasps for a few rounds before you become wasps if that's something you really want.
"The wasps stinging your face? That was muh penis"

Man, that is a really creepy spell... it's also odd that your skeleton is left there, rather vulnerable... could a Necromancer ally then animate your skeleton?