Evaluate this feat

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Evaluate this feat

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

My questions:
  1. Does this do what it's supposed to do?
  2. Is it too powerful?
Version Two:
Level-Appropriate-ness [Tome]
You are totally level appropriate, man!

Benefit: This is a feat that scales with your hit dice. You gain all that apply:
1+ HD (Ex): You can do stuff
  • If you did not already have opposable thumbs, you gain them.
  • Each of your mental ability scores was less than 10 becomes 10.
  • If you could not already speak a non-supernatural, non-secret language, you gain the ability to speak one non-supernatural, non-secret language of your choice, chosen when you select this feat. If you take this feat multiple times, you gain an additional language each time.
2+ HD (Su): As a standard action, you may fire an energy ray that inflicts 1d6 force damage per character level to one target. This requires a ranged attack roll to hit, has medium range, and can be used at will. If you have taken this feat multiple times and your base attack bonus is less than your level, make this attack roll as though your base attack bonus were equal to your level.
7+ HD (Sp): You can cast Overland Flight or See Invisibility as a spell-like ability once per day. If you choose the latter, its duration is increased to 24 hours.
12+ HD (Sp): You can cast Plane Shift or Teleport as a spell-like ability once per day.
17+ HD (Sp): You can Summon an Efreet as a spell-like ability once per day.

Special: You may take this feat multiple times. This grants you an additional daily use of each of its spell-like abilities each time, as well as some other bonuses listed within.

"Or": When a spell-like ability granted by this feat says you may cast one spell "or" another, you choose which one to use each time you use the ability.
Version One
Level-Appropriate-ness [Tome]
Benefit: This is a feat that scales with your hit dice. You gain all that apply:
1+ HD (Ex): You can do stuff
  • If you did not already have opposable thumbs, you gain them.
  • Each of your mental ability scores was less than 10 becomes 10.
  • If you could not already speak a non-supernatural, non-secret language, you gain the ability to speak one non-supernatural, non-secret language of your choice, chosen when you select this feat.
2+ HD (Su): As a standard action, you may fire an energy ray that inflicts 1d6 force damage per character level to one target. This requires a ranged touch attack to hit, has medium range, and can be used at will.
7+ HD (Sp): You can cast Overland Flight as a spell-like ability once per day.
12+ HD (Sp): You can cast Plane Shift as a spell-like ability once per day.
17+ HD (Sp): You can Summon an Efreet as a spell-like ability once per day.
EDIT: new version from deanruel's suggestions.
Last edited by RadiantPhoenix on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

I would add "See invisibility" at around level 5 and I might make the level 12 feature "Teleport or Plane Shift". If you can take the feat multiple times to get multiple charges of those spells then I'm on board.

Also if I were designing this for fun then I might make the force blast take a normal attack instead of a ranged touch attack because touch attacks make players bored and unhappy if they use them with any consistency. Still, overall I give it a thumbs up.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

New version.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

Does summoning an Efreet actually do what it's supposed to do? Or does the Summon term carry an automatic prohibition against SLAs with costly material components?
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

"A summoned monster cannot summon or otherwise conjure another creature, nor can it use any teleportation or planar travel abilities. Creatures cannot be summoned into an environment that cannot support them."

So, you can wish for "items", "wealth", or "power", as well as most, "spells" (but not any spells that would let you chain, I think)

This assumes Tome wish, obviously. (The feat is tagged with [Tome])
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

That isn't a problem because wish is instantaneous unless duplicating a spell with a longer duration, and the Tome wish has some uses of wish that don't cost XP.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Furthermore, Tome efreets normally can't even grant the effects that cost XP.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

Why not treat the spell likes like spell likes from spheres. So you can take it three times and then you've got them at will. You'd have to think of improvements for the non spell like abilities though.
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

This is minor, but isn't this redundant?
If you could not already speak a non-supernatural, non-secret language, you gain the ability to speak one non-supernatural, non-secret language of your choice, chosen when you select this feat. If you take this feat multiple times, you gain an additional language each time.
I mean it basically says

Code: Select all

if(n=0)
  n=1
else
  n++
Why not just "Each time you take this feat you gain the ability to speak an additional non-supernatural, non-secret language"?

...Actually, wait. I think that technically says that you don't learn a language the first time you take the feat if you already speak one, but you learn languages subsequent times regardless. Is that intentional? If so, I take back claims about redundancy.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

momothefiddler wrote:This is minor, but isn't this redundant?
If you could not already speak a non-supernatural, non-secret language, you gain the ability to speak one non-supernatural, non-secret language of your choice, chosen when you select this feat. If you take this feat multiple times, you gain an additional language each time.
I mean it basically says

Code: Select all

if(n=0)
  n=1
else
  n++
Why not just "Each time you take this feat you gain the ability to speak an additional non-supernatural, non-secret language"?

...Actually, wait. I think that technically says that you don't learn a language the first time you take the feat if you already speak one, but you learn languages subsequent times regardless. Is that intentional? If so, I take back claims about redundancy.
The n++ was added in the revision. The original level 1 ability was only supposed to set you to a bare minimum of competence.

I'm going to wait a bit for more comments before I make a second revision.

EDIT: I'm thinking that when I make the "sphere of level-appropriate-ness", it will go 1 language, 3 languages, Tongues
Last edited by RadiantPhoenix on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.