Will Millenials die before they invent human mind-uploading?

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Nachtigallerator
Journeyman

Post by Nachtigallerator »

@fectin: I think that characterizes my position fairly - we've probably been trying to talk about different sublevels of the same thing and I don't think there's an actual disagreement (besides an appaling lack of precise terminology on my part) between us.

I was trying to paraphrase terminology for the sake of this discussion, hence I used a word that would normally be interpreted differently. What I meant to say was: The position and overall shape of a tract is - without underlying pathologies like e.g. infiltrating brain cancer - quite uniform, as is the general pattern of tracts in a human brain. As far as I know, adult human nervous systems do not form new tracts.

While we're spinning wild ideas about immortality, I could fantasize about re-enabling or re-enacting the signaling process that guides axon growth during embryonic development. Obviously, I have not the last bit of an idea how to do that in a live brain that is otherwise adult. Even a somewhat-working vat-grown animal brain would be a fantastic achivement.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

nockermensch wrote:When I tried to see this image I got this error:
my dns wrote:Warning: Unsafe Website Blocked!
wiki.fectin.com

This website has been blocked temporarily because of the following reason(s):
Phishing
I use the dns from comodo antivirus as an additional protection against malware. This can be a false alarm, but it wouldn't hurt to check what happened.
Appreciate the heads-up, but I've got no idea.
I don't have any mail accounts running there. I pruned a bunch of subdomains that I don't use anymore, so if someone was going through a test bugtracker, they aren't any more. Otherwise, blog and wiki seem spam-free.
Oh well.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.