[3.Tomefinder] Beer & Pretzels PbP Recruiting

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

I'm more familiar with Pathfinder what with having started with it before the Tomes won me over so I'll use the Pathfinder skill lists with the addition of Athletics, but nothing else new. As for Concentration, currently I'll leave you guys to vote between

1) Pathfinder Concentration
2) Pathfinder Concentration vs old DCs
3) Concentration as a skill
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

I vote (1) or (2)
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

As per OgreBattle's suggestion, I'll start in a dungeon. I'm thinking 'abandoned' castle where odd things have been happening lately. Strange sounds, missing people in nearby villages, animals running away from it, strange lights around it sometimes, etc. you know, the usual.

Okay then guys, give me some basic backstories and I'll think of a plausible reason to investigate the dungeon.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Backstory: Wahid would have been an athlete in the Grand Interplanar Games last year, but the discount portal his team paid for ended up dumping them a few hundred miles off from their destination, in the middle of an Allip Belt. He is the only one who survived the ectoplasmic claws, babbling, and screaming plummet to ground. Now, after intensive therapy and reconstructive surgery, he has decided to start training up for another shot at a gold medal. And what better way to train than go into a dungeon, kick monsters in the head, and take their stuff (all while doped up on performance-enhancing potions, of course). This castle sounds haunted, and Wahid's grudge against spectrals runs almost as deep his terror of cheap interplanar travel.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

I'll get some sleep now and then start drawing up and filling a dungeon once I wake up. I'm guessing we'll probably be able to start within a day or two.

If you have a description of what your character looks like, a pic from somewhere on the web, or want to draw one yourself, put it up and I'll draw/redraw your character to fit the general artstyle of my hasty doodles.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Tek shows up to the castle purely because he isn't involved with the disappearances and high strangeness, and he needs to either be part of it, or needs to protect his franchise on abducting villagers and scaring small animals (what with being a vampire and all).
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

So what is the list of compressed skills now?
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Mostly this except for the addition of Athletics (Str), which comprises of Climb, Jump and Swim. Acrobatics (Dex) also includes jump so use whichever has a higher bonus for determining jump checks. Also, for Knowledge ranks, put ranks into any of these (I might change those later), and you'll get an equivalent number of ranks in knowledge (this sort of works like the Str-Con thing).
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

I'm assuming that with "Athletics", any uses of climb get +8 if you have a climb speed, swim uses get +8 if you've got a swim speed, in both cases you can also take 10 if you want, and jumping gives +/- 4 for each 10ft above or below 30ft you move, etc, etc. as normal for those skills.

That it's the same rules as normal, you just get all of them as a single skill rank expenditure.
Last edited by Lokathor on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Yes, they work the same way as before.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I'm picking between Koumei's Aranea and her Yuan-Ti player races.

I'm leaning towards Aranea but I could go either way. ANy suggestions?
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

radthemad4 wrote:I'll get some sleep now and then start drawing up and filling a dungeon once I wake up. I'm guessing we'll probably be able to start within a day or two.

If you have a description of what your character looks like, a pic from somewhere on the web, or want to draw one yourself, put it up and I'll draw/redraw your character to fit the general artstyle of my hasty doodles.
You want something easy to doodle, right? Here, I traced a pose and threw something quick together. The sword looks kinda puny, but I'm feeling lazy enough to call that a feature since this is a 20STR monk.

Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Cynic wrote:I'm picking between Koumei's Aranea and her Yuan-Ti player races.

I'm leaning towards Aranea but I could go either way. ANy suggestions?
Well either way, I approve of you joining team Animal-Person with Tek. Also, either way, our characters get to be creepy together. I do like the idea of a yuan ti who's so lazy he learned force magic so he didn't have to get up from lazing in the sun to do stuff, however.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I envision a grass hat and a lot of yawning. A lazy Yuan Ti it is.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

If people are cool with Hicks' Tome Mage class, I was thinking that plus Frank's Soldier. If not, PF Cleric with [Tome] Feats does what I'd like to do.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Backstory: Once upon a time, Pankas was the heir to the jeweled throne of Tyrannos, an island nation ruled by Time Mages. Due to an unfortunate incident involving dinosaurs and some invading necromancers, Tyrannos no longer exists. Now Pankas wanders the world, attempting to gain power and secure his revenge.

@Hick's Mage: Link please?
Last edited by Grek on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Clarification Request: does Tyrannos still exist, just under a different name and management?

Or because of time mage stuff does it now has-never-existed?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Mask_De_H wrote:If people are cool with Hicks' Tome Mage class, I was thinking that plus Frank's Soldier. If not, PF Cleric with [Tome] Feats does what I'd like to do.
I don't know... that at will magic missile might be a bit too much...
[/take that]

I'm cool with it.

edit: on the concentration front- I'm cool with pathfinder concentration with the old DCs. All I'm really concerned about with PF concentration is that your bonus is smaller while your target number is larger.
Last edited by Prak on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Lokathor wrote:Clarification Request: does Tyrannos still exist, just under a different name and management?
The island itself still exists, but the population was devoured by undead T-Rex.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So, how are skill feats interacting with Pathfinder's skill system? Are we considering "ranks" to mean "ranks+3, assuming it's a class skill for you?"

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Prak_Anima wrote:So, how are skill feats interacting with Pathfinder's skill system? Are we considering "ranks" to mean "ranks+3, assuming it's a class skill for you?"
Sure, same thing for Combat Casting, which is why even with higher DCs it's not even an issue if you're worried about it.
that is regular 1d4+1 magic missile not empowered doubled 2d6+2 magic missile.
Also it's a class feature, which are basically allowed to be more powerful than feats and items in general. [/snark]
Last edited by Lokathor on Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Jesus guys, I was teasing. Plus the thing that really pushed it was my interpretation of "it's just extra energy, I'm still casting, so it totally benefits from my feats and class abilities."

Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

There, I fixed my post :3
Last edited by Lokathor on Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.