Annoying Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

I remember that last one. It was a robotic harem Guard from an Al-Quadim Dragon article.
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, that one popped up one of my searches. It seemed ever so slightly too racist to really be usable.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Prak_Anima wrote:vaguely hindi/arabic/persian mecha/robot/android?
Prak_Anima wrote:It seemed ever so slightly too racist to really be usable.
:roll:
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

There's a difference between trying to find pictures of robots with appearances influenced by a handful of on vaguely related cultures that were long ago thrown together by a setting's writer, and using a picture a of a robot that is full on stereotype.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

That said, making it look like a robotic whirling dervish (Turkey) would be a good move. It's a specific item within the vast array, so doesn't need to be concerned with any other elements from those cultures, and also, the dervishes looked awesome and when a robot dual-wields scimitars you know you're in trouble.

WILL IT BLEND?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Last edited by Ancient History on Sun May 18, 2014 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

So I'm aware that half of Sigil's slang is just Cockney - berk = Berkley Hunt = the C word and so on.

Is "pike" (as in "Oh pike off you clueless berk") some kind of Cockney rhyming slang? Does it have any real-world origins or did they make that slang up all by themselves? (Patronising tone implied)
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Magnus Pike = Dyke, although more likely they meant the archaic word pike which means "go away."
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Project Gutenberg has the answer in its 1811 DICTIONARY OF THE VULGAR TONGUE.
1811 DICTIONARY OF THE VULGAR TONGUE: A DICTIONARY OF BUCKISH SLANG, UNIVERSITY WIT, AND PICKPOCKET ELOQUENCE.

UNABRIDGED FROM THE ORIGINAL 1811 EDITION WITH A FOREWORD BY ROBERT CROMIE. COMPILED ORIGINALLY BY CAPTAIN GROSE. AND NOW CONSIDERABLY ALTERED AND ENLARGED, WITH THE MODERN
CHANGES AND IMPROVEMENTS, BY A MEMBER OF THE WHIP CLUB.

ASSISTED BY HELL-FIRE DICK, AND JAMES GORDON, ESQRS. OF CAMBRIDGE; AND WILLIAM SOAMES, ESQ. OF THE HON. SOCIETY OF NEWMAN'S HOTEL.

To PIKE. To run away. Pike off; run away.
Last edited by Maj on Tue May 20, 2014 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Ancient History wrote:Magnus Pike = Dyke
But the rhyming slang doesn't work like that, the truncated form doesn't rhyme with the origin. The rhyme you pointed out would be truncated as bus or something like that.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Is there a 'natural' factor that influences how much of an effect 'nurture' has on personality?

I remember hearing something about personality being a combination of 'nature and nurture'. I know twins are sometimes extremely similar to each other, while sometimes, not so much. I'm planning on writing a novel involving time travel and/or alternate universes someday and I was wondering if it was plausible if there were some people who are pretty similar in personality with their counterparts in different timelines, and others whose other selves are always vastly different. The people involved have the same DNA, but have gone through different experiences.

Edit: Whoops, accidentally deleted the question.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Tue May 20, 2014 10:31 am, edited 6 times in total.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:Anyone happen to have an image of a vaguely hindi/arabic/persian mecha/robot/android?

A potential new player wants to play a warforged and I'm putting them into Greyhawk as creations of the Baklunish. Now I just need to find a vaguely fitting image until I get around to drawing something.

In the story of Garuda, the amrita is defended by a "murderous machine wielding spinning blades." Sorry, I don't know what the actual Hindi name for it is, and can't find a super great picture of it. But basically, it's a robot with buzz saw hands.

-Username17
I looked this up against my mom's sanskrit copy and the "murderous machine" comes up as a vahana -- vehicle.
-

Still pretty awesome but it's basically described as a giant wheel with a base and many spinning weapons.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

I'm looking for good statistics on the prevalence of sibling-on-sibling sexual abuse.

I have gotten into a thread on the subject on another forum because I have a masochistic desire to educate some internet tough guys.

While I can find some sites claiming that it's the most common form of sexual abuse, I haven't found any hard numbers.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Most of the references I've found are unfortunately in books, but Wikipedia has a nice summary as a starting point.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Thanks Maj, AH. My curiosity is sated.
Cynic wrote:I looked this up against my mom's sanskrit copy and the "murderous machine" comes up as a vahana -- vehicle.
-

Still pretty awesome but it's basically described as a giant wheel with a base and many spinning weapons.
So, the Shredder, my favourite unit from the RTS Dark Reign? I am okay with that. Did they also predict dudes with jet packs and acid cannons?
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Koumei wrote: So, the Shredder, my favourite unit from the RTS Dark Reign? I am okay with that. Did they also predict dudes with jet packs and acid cannons?
Jet pack travel and acid cannons, you say? The Hindu Myth department of defense delivers that and more.

Hinduweabo fightan weapons

Aside from flying via giant birds and elephants, the Manavastra "Could overcome supernatural protections and carry the target hundreds of miles away. Can inspire humane traits in an evil being."

For acid cannons, you could either use the nagastra which has been described as both a shower of snakes and also as a shower of corrosive acid. If you want something a little bit more close in that sense the asurastra are apparently the equivalent of modern-day biological weapons. Incidentally the devastra (the weapon of the gods compared to the asuras/demons) was a nuclear bomb. So Hinduism tells you that nuclear weapons = divinely good and biological weapons = EVIL BAD!

---
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Does anyone know of a web app or something where I can plug in specific dice combinations and get a chart of likelihood of a given number turning up?

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

ah, thank you.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Random question-- Would there ever be a scenario where a culture might use iron for money?

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Outside of Dragonlance? It was a big thing in Africa for a while.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Prak_Anima wrote:Random question-- Would there ever be a scenario where a culture might use iron for money?
Under most circumstances, it's simply too useful in other roles to get used as currency, but if you were pre-Iron Age technologically, it might happen. Or if you had some crazy religious prohibition against using it more sensibly.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, I figured there might be a technological reason for it. Something along the lines of being just able to smelt it and shape it into rough coins, but not usable weapons.

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Oh, and Spartans: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obol_%28coin%29

As mentioned, it's not a preferred metal because it rusts and has other, better uses. But if you're running low on precious metals, steel pennies are always an option.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Prak_Anima wrote:Random question-- Would there ever be a scenario where a culture might use iron for money?
We had that in Aleph-IV. (A fantasy 4x LARP I participated in)

Iron was (supposed to be) really rare as part of the setting, so it was tracked separately from the "generic" resource.

Fortunately or unfortunately, a lot of sources of iron wound up in the hands of a player who didn't really have much to do with it other than build window dressing and hand massive amounts of it to players who had the ability to build "cool stuff".