What kind of creature does this look like to you?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

ishy wrote:In fact, what happens when goblin A kills a T-Rex and wears a T-Rex hat, and then goblin B kills goblin A. Does goblin B wear the T-Rex hat, or a goblin hat (since the goblin was more powerful than the T-Rex)?
Of course he wears the T-Rex hat. Even if the T-Rex isn't 'more powerful', it looks more powerful. But better than that, if he kills the goblin and gets his T-Rex hat, he ought to go find something even bigger so he can definitively prove that he is definitely a bigger bad-ass than the T-Rex killing goblin that he took down.

There's always a chance that a 'lesser opponent' takes a 'better opponent' some time. That's why a lot of sports use a series of games rather than just a single match. Monsters that don't advance by leveling make a good 'standard' by which to measure general power. In the early season of football, it's hard to say which team is REALLY the best, because they typically haven't played the same opponents. Notre Dame may be overrated because they didn't play any SEC teams before playing in the National Championship. Having a 'core' that everyone can play against (which monsters that don't advance by level can provide) can help establish power-level without having constant warfare.

This is the same general principle that has people going out to kill lions when they 'become a man'.
Cyberzombie
Knight-Baron

Post by Cyberzombie »

ishy wrote: In fact, what happens when goblin A kills a T-Rex and wears a T-Rex hat, and then goblin B kills goblin A. Does goblin B wear the T-Rex hat, or a goblin hat (since the goblin was more powerful than the T-Rex)?
Obviously it's not a perfect system. There's always going to be that one goblin that lucks out and finds a dead/half-dead T-rex, kills it and lugs its body parts back.

That's what bluff checks are for.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Cyberzombie wrote:
ishy wrote: In fact, what happens when goblin A kills a T-Rex and wears a T-Rex hat, and then goblin B kills goblin A. Does goblin B wear the T-Rex hat, or a goblin hat (since the goblin was more powerful than the T-Rex)?
Obviously it's not a perfect system. There's always going to be that one goblin that lucks out and finds a dead/half-dead T-rex, kills it and lugs its body parts back.

Goblin-B wears a goblin hat that's wearing a T-Rex hat.... clearly.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

codeGlaze wrote:
Cyberzombie wrote:

Goblin-B wears a goblin hat that's wearing a T-Rex hat.... clearly.
This. There are totally goblins walking around with what look like band hats of severed heads.

Alternatively...

Edit: Also, just think of all the weird awesome hats that could exist in D&D.

Mindflayer bonnets
Beholder bowlers
Hydra jester hats
Roper top hats
Preserved Aboleths floating in giant aquariums magically enchanted to float just above the goblin's hat.

Of course, in a setting which uses these rules, goblins should probably have something like Bardic Knowledge, but purely for identifying monsters, and probably a bonus in Craft (Haberdashery)
Last edited by Prak on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Both Touhou and Team Fortress approve of this hatstacking.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Mord
Knight-Baron

Post by Mord »

This hat concept needs to be preserved somewhere for posterity. I'd say sup/tg/, but this is not /tg/...
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Threads don't get pruned here. If you write it down, it pretty much IS saved for posterity. (very, very rarely threads do get scrubbed. It's usually not a surprise though).
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

hyzmarca wrote:Goblin King.

And I'm not going to believe anyone who says different.
I've been thinking about this, and I have come to the conclusion that he is actually a Dark One. Specifically, he's the head Dark Stalker, and his minions are Dark Creepers.

It's not that Jareth isn't in D&D, he totally is. It's that Jareth is a Dark One, and not a Goblin. That also explains why there are so few Dark Stalkers compared to Dark Creepers - they need to kidnap Human babies to make into Dark Stalkers.

-Username17
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I'd just like to point out that appending 'King' or 'Queen' to any species that's not Human or Goomba instantly makes your title badass.

Fairy... meh. Queen of the Fairies? Hmm!
Goblin... feh. Goblin King? Yeah!
Koopa... lol. King Koopa? All right!

Also, we have all-stars like Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Witch-King, King Kong, and of course Tyrannosaurus Rex.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

so Jareth was the king of the goblins, but just not a goblin. um, that is easy to see form the movie anyway....

it is obvious he is a Mind-flayer, using illusionary psionics all the time to control his goblin thralls as well as everyone else. he just only has one tentacle and keeps it.... well just ask any girl who watches the movie just for him about his tentacle and why they wish they were Jennifer Connoley....

it isn't really unheard of in D&D for the king of a race to be of another race among those that respect power or are swayed with fear.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

King of King
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Jesus?
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I'm not sure Jesus is the king of kings...

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Jesus Triple H Christ

zeruslord
Knight-Baron

Post by zeruslord »

Mord: not only are threads not pruned, but thread-necro is encouraged if you're actually going to be continuing the earlier conversation. There's a couple threads on the IMHO front page that were dropped for most of a year and got restarted.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

zeruslord wrote:Mord: not only are threads not pruned, but thread-necro is encouraged if you're actually going to be continuing the earlier conversation. There's a couple threads on the IMHO front page that were dropped for most of a year and got restarted.
How did this comment end up here?