Annoying Game Questions You Want Answered

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Good to know. I love the format though and wouldn't mind crayoning some changes. Found an unofficial errata thread though I don't know how much they missed: http://community.wizards.com/content/fo ... ic/3402006
Last edited by radthemad4 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

A quick google search brought up nothing. Pathfinder rules questions:

Can you bull rush someone off a mount? Can you use grappling to yank someone off a mount?
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

There was a thread about this in the paizo forums but no devs chimed in (google dismounting a mounted opponent paizo). A thread on Gitp suggested tripping.
Can't find that on the pfsrd, but it should carry over I think.

I'm guessing if someone is moved off their mounted area (e.g. bullrush, drag, reposition, whatever,) it should do it as you can target mounted characters using normal attacks so they should be vulnerable to these, but I can't find anything official.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

I was thinking recently about how to make a tough but not hardy race (inspired by the new dwarves post in "interesting cultures").

What are the pitfalls of a pair of traits, -6 constitution and hardness = (constitution / 2)?

Not that those are necessarily the best numbers, but I think they illustrate the approach.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

It might be alright to just let them take half damage from a bunch of sources but a hit to con, but honestly it'd probably be best to design a new system that fits in to.
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

@fectin

I've noted this for people in a few places, so you're not the first, but the way to note a squishy victim in a hard shell in D&D is to give them a higher AC. Classic Zombies model better in D&D if you give them AC 20+ and just 2 hit points, so superheroes can chew them up with constant "brain shots" and ordinary people flail away uselessly forever.

Hardness is just nonsense. It's a tool for making monsters almost immune to everything that's not magic-silver or whatever, and then they gave it to doors and similar objects like Barbarians because ... I don't know either.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

tussock wrote:doors and similar objects like Barbarians
Hah!
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

I wanted them to be hardened against environmental and area damage though, which is why I picked hardness instead of DR/-. I also wanted them to be able to completely shrug off minor attacks, but still have a reason to be paranoid.

So, generally good advice, but in this specific case I meant the one I said.
Last edited by fectin on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Oh, right. I've got hardness and DR/- conceptually linked in my head, had to tjeck a few times to sort that out. Apparently my objects have a been a bit easy to vape with energy spells for quite some time, though it makes little difference with the tiny numbers involved.

Functionally no different to DR/- with ER for everything then. Which is what you should call it for consistency, your characters not actually being objects. Like Golems do.

So ... math-wise you make characters per-level weaker and per-attack stronger. Given that characters face no more attacks at high level than they do at low level (insignificant vs level gain), you've made a thing that everyone who takes it gets comparatively weaker as they advance.

It's, like you're a 3.0 fiend, basically. Enough Con and it doesn't matter, otherwise splat.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Honestly, I think some creatures should have hardness. Golems and Animated Objects definitely, and I don't think it'd be bad for dwarves to just straight up have hardness. They're earth-energy heavy humanoids, they're proverbially tough as rock, they have hardness.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

The game's not set up to support it. Damage per attack doesn't scale by level, DR doesn't scale with level, they don't scale with each other. Flavouring monsters as "hard like a wall" is not a good reason to transfer over the crappy mechanics for swording through walls.

The actual mechanics for Golems are bad enough in 3e. GURPS4 deals with it all well enough, but it's got five steps for resolving every attack and you probably don't want that.

I go back to my original point. Hard things in D&D should just have a high AC and appropriate energy resists and immunities. It's the best option the system's got.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Anyone have good rules for the effects of drinking alcohol in D&D? Just to keep the game going, we did 1 Fort save/hour, -1 Int/Wis/Cha per failed save, but that's because I didn't have anything to refer to.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

That sounds as good a way as any, but don't forget becoming sickened, and dazed the day after.
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

Prak_Anima wrote:Anyone have good rules for the effects of drinking alcohol in D&D?
Stolen from a GM I respect: "When drinking you are allowed to take a penalty of -1 to -3 (player's choice) to your DEX, WIS and INT. If you take -3, you're going to throw up tomorrow unless you're a dwarf. If you're trying to keep up with someone, you take whatever modifier they decide to take."
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Eh, it worked. Told us how much of a penalty the bard got on a bluff check.

Another question- I raised the idea of playing a tabletop Elder Scrolls/Skyrim game with my group tonight. Anyone know of a system for that that they approve of?

Axebird
Master

Post by Axebird »

tussock wrote:I go back to my original point. Hard things in D&D should just have a high AC and appropriate energy resists and immunities. It's the best option the system's got.
That results in a wall that anyone can take down with any weapon that can deal lethal damage given enough time. Sorry, but you just can't punch through a steel wall with a toothpick and 10 Str.
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

Axebird wrote:
tussock wrote:I go back to my original point. Hard things in D&D should just have a high AC and appropriate energy resists and immunities. It's the best option the system's got.
That results in a wall that anyone can take down with any weapon that can deal lethal damage given enough time. Sorry, but you just can't punch through a steel wall with a toothpick and 10 Str.
REALISMZ
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

For a HeartBreaker, I'd love to have an acronym for 'Total Character Level' that is different from 'Caster Level'.

It would be nice if 'Character Level' and 'Caster Level' could be used, because those are terms that people are familar with, but the fact that they would abbreviate the same is a problem. And I'm not very fond of 'TCL'.

So, if you had 3.x to design over again, what terminology would you use for 'character level' and 'caster level'. Would you change the name of 'class'? Or 'caster'?

Suggestions welcome.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

If I had to do 3e over again, I damn sure wouldn't have caster level at all. Level based effects of spells would just be based on character level. Duh.

-Username17
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

That's actually a really good point...

That said, having 20 levels of spells (as opposed to 9) feels quite a bit harder... In my Heart breaker I have 12 levels for classes and 7 spell levels...

So would you further divide the spells? If you wanted to slow down access to more powerful spells, how would you do it? I find giving too many abilities at each level can be confusing and spreading out the acquisition is helpful...

So what's your recommendation around that?
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Just have there be level 1 spells, level 3 spells, level 5 spells, etc. etc. It's not a huge deal if you just skip the even-numbered levels.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

deaddmwalking wrote:That's actually a really good point...

That said, having 20 levels of spells (as opposed to 9) feels quite a bit harder... In my Heart breaker I have 12 levels for classes and 7 spell levels...

So would you further divide the spells? If you wanted to slow down access to more powerful spells, how would you do it? I find giving too many abilities at each level can be confusing and spreading out the acquisition is helpful...

You don't need to have 20 levels of spells. Spells known/Spells per day can still come from each Caster class' table.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Axebird
Master

Post by Axebird »

zugschef wrote:REALISMZ
I'm not really into realism at the expense of other aspects of the game, but some things just get a bit silly. I'm fine with an exceptional character with high strength or some other effect being able to penetrate a steel wall with a toothpick. But not a commoner.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Why?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

deaddmwalking wrote:That's actually a really good point...

You seem to be mixing up caster level and spell level. That being said, there is no reason for spell level to be different from class level. You don't need to hand out a new set of spells every level (though you can if you want), but there is exactly zero reason to call the fireball that a wizard can learn at fifth level anything other than a 'fifth level spell.'

-Username17