[ArM: BtB] IC: In Which We Begin

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

25 March 1220. New Years Day. Winter. Seventeen days east of Kiev

"Well, you saw the beginning attempts, right? The difference between that and this-" She gestures to the house she just finished "-is merely one of properly manipulating the spell or not. A pendecagon - a large one, even - would be feasible. Might take me a little longer than these, but easily within a day. And I can adjust it as necessary after the initial shaping, so if you need old interior walls removed or new ones installed, or, like you were discussing, living quarters integrated, that's all fairly easy. By all means, figure out exactly what you want and I'll do my best to accomodate that. I figured I'd wait on labs until tomorrow, though. Honestly I'm up for a hot fire and a long nap, at this point."

She stomps her feet. "Can't wait for spring. Even rain'll be better than this. Winter is the worst time to travel, alongside Spring, Summer, and Autumn..."
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

"Yes, I am as well, although I'll scout out the aura and vis sources before I retire. Perhaps we should meet privately and work out the details?
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

25 March 1220. New Years Day. Winter. Seventeen days east of Kiev.

The grogs stand in amazement at the witchcraft that caused the houses to suddenly appear. They'd expected to have to build things; this is, after all, why they thought they'd need a carpenter and stonemason. After a moment they begin to wander through them, looking at the walls and roofs suspiciously. Nobody's ever seen a monolithic stone roof, after all. Stone buildings have wooden frame roofs with slate or tile or thatch roofs. This is... an architectural oddity. And by oddity they mean marvel.

There are no doors or window shutters or even floors to spare them from the cold stone, of course; but to people who just spent months trudging through the snow and sleeping in wagons, these are palaces.

While the others start carrying stuff inside, Ariel rushes around checking the stone and muttering to herself about where reinforcing beams should be placed and where there are cracks that need to be caulked.

Meanwhile, Petrus can scout the area, sponting Intellego Vim at vision range to map it out. It looks as though the entire bowl-shaped valley - about twenty minutes walk across - has a Magic aura of 1; this concentrates to an aura of 2 on the slopes of the "imperial box" mound and 3 on its top. The pond itself also has an aura of 2, but that's only on the water, not on the banks - and since the ice is beginning to thin and crack, standing on it may be a poor idea. There doesn't appear to be any vis here.

The valley is large. He'd need to reinvent Aegis at Boundary +2 in order to cover the whole thing. Petrus is an educated man and knows that some covenants have done this, whereas others prefer to defend only a fortifiable cluster of labs and buildings.

Outside the valley, there's a 1-point Faerie aura on the grasslands to the south and a small, puzzling 1-point Infernal aura to the east on the very top of the hill. Searching for vis here reveals the ashes of a large bonfire concealed under the snow, with the cracked and blackened bones of a human being amongst the ash. The skull is missing, but the spine is present and contains 1 pawn of Corpus vis, infernally tainted.

To the west, once he climbs out of the valley onto the hillbrow, Petrus can see down into the gentle vale where the stream runs and the village is. There's a 2-point Dominion aura over the village itself, and some points along the stream have minor Faerie auras. The rest of it is the mundane open steppe, snow covering the black soil.
Last edited by Laertes on Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

14 February 1219. Winter. Orsha Portage.

The spell on the wolves facing off against Orsen breaks, and they flee into the woods.

Meanwhile, the Wolf of Virtue doesn't flee. All five copies of it leap at Vergil. Heroically, his shield grog keeps them away, sustaining Heavy Wounds to himself and his horse.

Petrus's spell goes off, causing a rock to fall from the heavens and rebound harmlessly off the magic resistance of the Wolf of Virtue. Vergil gives a shout and lets loose a Pilum of Fire which likewise explodes harmlessly. A moment later, Camille fires her readied spell.

Now that the wolves are gone from the caravan and the woods, the scattered grogs are slowly regathering. A few took Light wounds but there's fortunately nothing serious.
Creatures have magic resistance equal to their Magic Might. This means that spells will need to penetrate, unless they deal damage in an indirect fashion - for example, lifting and dropping rocks. On the other hand, such spells need to be able to hit.

momo, would you please roll for Camille's attack?
Turn 4 begins.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Can we get a full recap on the caravan group? Is there still a group of wolves on us, or are all the original wolves taken care of?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

There were originally three groups of wolves: a main assault group with the Wolf of Virtue lurking behind them; and two flanking groups, one behind and one in the forest to the west. The main group has had its control effect dispelled and been routed with two casualties. The forest flanking group has likewise had the control dispelled and has retreated with no losses. This leaves the rear group, but they have played no part in the battle. Presumably they're waiting for someone to try to escape the ambush to the rear, which hasn't come up thus far.

About half the grogs are cowering in the wagons; the other half fled into the forest and would have been harried by wolves except for Orsen and Nidratr moving in to intimidate them to gain their attention and then dispel the control effect.
Last edited by Laertes on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Petrus will relay that information to the rest of the group, leaving nothing out.

"I see no need to extend an Aegis across the entire valley; merely this mound should be sufficient. Camille, as our resident, uh, erector, I believe that you should have final say on the layout of our covenant, but I believe a reasonable layout would be a central building, with chambers for covenant rituals, meetings and so on; along with our labs, quarters, and a barracks for our guards, all on the top of the mound, perhaps with some kind of, well, wall. Other buildings for our mundane needs can then be thrown up around the base of the, uh, mound. While this area may seem exceedingly large for merely the heart of our covenant, I would suggest that with your talents, for which I would be happy to repay you in exchange for a substantial, or even not-so-substantial amount of time spent on my laboratory, we have the liberty of a single building for each of us, in addition, perhaps, to a large central hall."

Petrus sucks in a deep breath, shouts a few words in italian, and one of his bodyguards turns around and advances towards Percival, looking around nervously for his brother.

Switching to Latin, Petrus then shouts "Percival, retreat!" while recasting windborne boulder at one of the five wolves, using shouts and exaggerated gestures.
roll of 6, total of 21, adjusted penetration of 8
"
Last edited by Korgan0 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

Ping. The boulder falls from the heavens, guided in unerringly; and then bounces off harmlessly, the magics in it too weak to penetrate the Wolf of Virtue's magic resistance. All five of the Wolf grin menacingly.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Thanks, that's much better.

Nidratr rounds on the last group of wolves, their breath ragged from exertion. Their legs quake, but their work is not yet through. One more group, no casualties. There was still hope to drive off the beasts before the cruel control placed on them led them to injury or death.
Their arms spread wide in the driving rain and biting cold. Their ragged, horse voice croaked out the syllables.
But they managed.

Dispel control (PeVi, group, voice range. Grand gestures, loud voice. Most targets, highest effect possible).
1d10+18=27/2=13 to dispel the effect on the last group of wolves.

When they break and run, Nidratr will shuffle towards a wagon and lean heavily against it. "Go help Vergil," they direct their shieldmaidens.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

Aes nods, leading the others forward slowly. The magical fear still grips their minds and weakens their limbs, but the sound of battle calls to them, and the opportunity to hit something with a sword sounds so inviting after weeks of cold.

Behind them, the wolves withdraw into the endless northern forests.
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

Korgan0 wrote:"Yes, I am as well, although I'll scout out the aura and vis sources before I retire. Perhaps we should meet privately and work out the details?
"Certainly"
Korgan0 wrote:"I see no need to extend an Aegis across the entire valley; merely this mound should be sufficient. Camille, as our resident, uh, erector, I believe that you should have final say on the layout of our covenant, but I believe a reasonable layout would be a central building, with chambers for covenant rituals, meetings and so on; along with our labs, quarters, and a barracks for our guards, all on the top of the mound, perhaps with some kind of, well, wall. Other buildings for our mundane needs can then be thrown up around the base of the, uh, mound. While this area may seem exceedingly large for merely the heart of our covenant, I would suggest that with your talents, for which I would be happy to repay you in exchange for a substantial, or even not-so-substantial amount of time spent on my laboratory, we have the liberty of a single building for each of us, in addition, perhaps, to a large central hall."
"I should like to extend the Aegis across the valley at some point. It'll be nice to have room to stretch. For now, though, the mound is fine. I don't think it's necessarily wise to keep all the covenfolk outside the Aegis, though, especially with that Infernal taint you found. Perhaps we can house them up there temporarily, then relocate them when we have a larger Aegis?"
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

Laertes wrote:momo, would you please roll for Camille's attack?
Impromptu Interment ReTe 15
Casting Total: 1d10 +11(Rego) +11(Terram) +1(Stamina) +1(Mastery) +1(Aura) = 1d10+25 = 29
Aiming Roll: 1d10 +1(Perception) +5(Finesse) +6(Size) = 1d10+12 = 19
I don't actually know if that was my Turn 4 action or my Turn 3 action or what, but next chance I get I'm trying again, and I'm rolling it here because it might be now:
Impromptu Interment ReTe 15
Casting Total: 1d10 +11(Rego) +11(Terram) +1(Stamina) +1(Mastery) +1(Aura) = 1d10+25 = 27
Aiming Roll: 1d10 +1(Perception) +5(Finesse) +6(Size) = 1d10+12 = 16

Casting Total: 1d10 +11(Rego) +11(Terram) +1(Stamina) +1(Mastery) +1(Aura) -10(Fast-Casting) = 1d10+15 = 24
Casting Speed: 1d10 +0(Quickness) +5(Finesse) = 1d10+5 = 14
Aiming Roll: 1d10 +1(Perception) +5(Finesse) +6(Size) = 1d10+12 = 15
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

The first column of earth catches the Wolf of Virtue by surprise; it yelps as one of its copies is entombed. The next two, however, are easily dodged. Still, the Wolf looks discomfitted at the increasing magical firepower being levelled at it.
Defence rolls of:
14+D10 = 17, hit
14+D10 = 20, miss
14+D10 = 23, miss
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

(Mild retcon: Camille made one large building instead of two. It's - currently - as pictured in the OOC link)

Camille rounds up the other magi (whichever want to come, at least) for a tour of the new building.

"Now, this is just the starting point. I can modify it as necessary, but this is what I came up with first. This," she continues, stepping in through the wide doorway, "is the common room, for dining, ceremonies, and so on." She gestures to either side, past spiraling staircases that lead up to the balcony above. "On your left are spaces for workshops, on your right is where the library can go. In here," she leads them through a door at the far end of the common room, "is the kitchen. The fireplace goes all the way through, so it's good for both cooking and heat. On either side we have storage for food, which-"

She pauses as she walks in.

"-which won't be sufficient. I think I'll push this wall back a couple paces. 'Course the kitchen doesn't need to be larger. Maybe I'll move the fireplace too. The walls would line up that way... nice..."

She shakes her head with a start. "But that's for later. Let's all check out the top floor too, hey?"
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Vergil, seeing his flame roll harmlessly off of the wolf that has become wolves, decides that discretion is the better part of valor and rallies his shield grog to him.

"A tactical retreat is in order, my good man."

With that, Vergil spurs his horse to action, in an attempt to outrun the blatantly magical creature.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Leetkeis
1st Level

Post by Leetkeis »

Seeing as Nidratr has control on the mundane wolf situation, Orsen abandons the grogs, rushing to where magical resistance is in abundance.
Leetkeis
1st Level

Post by Leetkeis »

Peeking into the newly crafted building, Orsen speaks up. "I'm all for the covenant being a continuous connected building. Something to suggest, an extremely tall tower placed in the center. You know how much you could do with sight range magic from up there? I'm off to hang with my new bear buddies, thanks whomever found the cave."

He falls out of the building shifting to bear form on the way down. Then trots lightheartedly towards the forest.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

Leetkeis wrote:Peeking into the newly crafted building, Orsen speaks up. "I'm all for the covenant being a continuous connected building. Something to suggest, an extremely tall tower placed in the center. You know how much you could do with sight range magic from up there? I'm off to hang with my new bear buddies, thanks whomever found the cave."

He falls out of the building shifting to bear form on the way down. Then trots lightheartedly towards the forest.
The forest is lightly magical: the trees are more symmetric than normal and everything looks very slightly like its idealised Platonic form. The gentle slope up the side of the hill is cut here and there by little rills, empty of water in winter but probably very pleasant in summer.

Orsen can soon locate what he's searching for, and the grog was right: it's a bear cave. From the smell, it's a female bear and her cubs, weak after their long hibernation, but probably ravenously hungry as a result. Bears are not social animals at the best of times but this is a terrifying situation.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

The Wolf of Virtue's four remaining copies chase after Vergil as he retreats; this stops when Orsen enters the vicinity. He backs off, unsure, facing down the immense bear.
I don't have the stats to hand. How much does Orsen's size increase due to that spell?
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

Camille chuckles as Orsen heads off. "Suppose bears don't have much interest in architecture. So! Upstairs. I figured we could have benches along the walls here on the balconies, so I left room. As you can see, the railings allow a view of ceremonies going on in the common room. On this side we have a large room for general sleeping, over by the fireplace is what I think could be our steward's office. Hub of the logistics and whatnot. There's another room off it here that... honestly I don't know what exactly to put there, but there didn't seem to be any reason to expand our living quarters any further, especially since many of us are likely going to move out to our own buildings soon. And speaking of which, that's the last room!" She sweeps her hand out to indicate the bare chamber. "Doesn't look like much, but with some beds and things it'll be pretty nice. And that's the whole building. Any thoughts? Suggestions for change? I already noted that I need to move the rear wall back a bit... what else?"
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Even as a mage, Vergil was stunned by the ease at which Camille has designed this building. Rego was never his strong suit, and seeing the feats it could achieve delighted him. Granted, they still needed furniture and decor, but that would come in time.

"If all else fails, we can use the extra room as storage for non-foodstuffs or for any mundane wealth we earn," Vergil says to Camille.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

"Storage! Good plan, yes."

She thinks for a moment. "Maybe a fireplace in here, too. Or maybe move the extra room and the steward's office down this way and put us up against the chimney. That sounds nice. It'd upset the symmetry, though..."
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

"Warmth will come at a premium in the winter; would additional fireplaces be possible? Another thing to consider is a source of income and provisions. While we have stores, and I am sure Nidratr and Orsen could bring in game, that would not prove enough, I fear. I believe we should wait on establishing a market until we have both goods to sell and relations with nearby villages and merchants, so in the meantime perhaps we could trade the services of our craftsmen to nearby villages in exchange for food, and perhaps even animals or tools. Giovanni was apprenticed to the greatest swordsmith in Milan, so I am sure he could be of use.
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

"More fireplaces are easy. Keeping them all tended is less so, but I'm sure the servants will manage. Craftsman's services... as long as they won't be of more use here, I have no objection. Should I adjust workshops in some way to accommodate that?"
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Nidratr nods their approval at the structure. "could do with some wood, but I can handle that,"

"Wouldn't it be possible to use Ignem to maintain the warmth of the hold? I know I can establish a Rego Animal effect to keep vermin from the grain stores, possibly even to direct them towards a waste pit so as to minimize what is left sitting around to rot."