AS Splat Quiz redux

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

AS Splat Quiz redux

Post by Prak »

Took another shot at writing this, tell me what you guys think now. As before, first Sblock is the quiz, second Sblock is quiz with key.
1- Ok, first of all, why are you supernatural?
a. It was an accident, I swear!
b. Eh, I had some time to kill.
c. I was born this way, baby.

2- When will you die?
a. Never, if I keep powered.
b. Eh, one day, maybe.
c. Fuck that noise, I’m ageless.

3- What gives you joy?
a. Hurting people.
b. Seeing the moon rise.
c. A little time to myself to relax my own way.

4- What’s your biggest flaw?
a. I always want more- one drink is never enough, and it never hurts to have a bit more cash.
b. I flip out and lose control- I smash shit or run and hide.
c. People suck. They either don’t like me, or don’t understand my genius.

5- What bugs you most?
a. Flashy jewelry. Do you really need to look like a car from the 60s?
b. The calcified nature of modern society. Give me freedom!
c. Nature. Too many bugs and trees and birds fucking. It’s weird.

6- What do you do least?
a. Go outside. The evil day star is trying to kill me…
b. Hit the clubs. Too many people, too many spilled drinks. Why would anyone do that to themselves?
c. Ok, look… I get caught up in projects so sometimes I forget to shower… DON’T JUDGE ME!!!

7- How do you feel about death?
a. Fucking terrified, it’s like a torture or punishment.
b. Curious, I wonder what I’ll find.
c. Death is inevitable. You don't avoid it, you manage it.

8- What do you envision as your greatest struggle?
a. Man against Nature. The wilderness sucks, it’s all about beating it.
b. Man against the System. The fucking bureaucracy of society is a monster to be slain.
c. Man against Man/Religion. People suck, and are the thing most commonly holding me back.

9- Which would least bother you?
a. Being too hot.
b. Being too cold.
c. Being in the middle of nowhere.

10- Which video game would you most prefer to play?
a. Something Survival-Horror-y, like Silent Hill or the early Resident Evils.
b. Something open ended and fairly simple, like Pacman or Asteroids.
c. Something where you’re plunged into a state of nature and have to fight for everything, but have freedom to build whatever you want, like Rust or Minecraft.

11- What genre could you never tire of?
a. Dystopian dramas and psychological thrillers.
b. Creature Features and Giant Monster Movies.)
c. Slasher flicks and Horror.

12- You’ve got a day off, which of the following would be the most appealing use of the time?
a. Start a flame war online and wreck some fucker.
b. Close yourself off from distractions—lock the door, unplug the phone, turn off the computer—and finish a book or two.
c. Spend some time outside or with my pets.

13- Which seems the most interesting to study?
a. Pyrotechnology
b. Archaeology
c. Ecology
1- Ok, first of all, why are you supernatural?
a. It was an accident, I swear! (Lyc./Vamp)
b. Eh, I had some time to kill. (Wit/Tra)
c. I was born this way, baby. (Lev./Ani)

2- When will you die?
a. Never, if I keep powered (Vamp/Tra)
b. Eh, one day, maybe. (Wit/Lyc)
c. Fuck that noise, I’m ageless. (Ani/Lev)

3- What gives you joy?
a. Hurting people. (Vamp[/Lev-Trog/Wit-Baali])
. -This selection is pure Vampire, but if you wind up a Leviathan, and selected this answer, add a tick for Orphic under power sources. If you're a witch that selected it, add a tick to Infernal, instead)
b. Seeing the moon rise (Lyc./Lev[/Tra-Reb])
. -This selection points to Lycanthrope or Leviathan, but if you wind up a Transhuman and selected it, add a tick to Orphic for your power source)
c. A little time to myself to relax my own way (Wit/Ani/Tra)

4- What’s your biggest flaw?
a. I always want more- one drink is never enough, and it never hurts to have a bit more cash. (Vamp/Wit)
b. I flip out and lose control- I smash shit or run and hide. (Lyc./Lev)
c. People suck. They either don’t like me, or don’t understand my genius. (Ani./Tra.)

5- What bugs you most?
a. Flashy jewelry. Do you really need to look like a car from the 60s? (Lyc/Wit)
b. The calcified nature of modern society. Give me freedom! (Tra/Lev)
c. Nature. Too many bugs and trees and birds fucking. It’s weird. (Vamp/Ani)

6- What do you do least?
a. Go outside. The evil day star is trying to kill me… (Vamp/Lev)
b. Hit the clubs. Too many people, too many spilled drinks. Why would anyone do that to themselves? (Lyc/Ani)
c. Ok, look… I get caught up in projects so sometimes I forget to shower… DON’T JUDGE ME!!! (Wit/Tra)

7- How do you feel about death?
a. Fucking terrified, it’s like a torture or punishment. (Infernal)
b. Curious, I wonder what I’ll find. (Astral)
c. Death is inevitable. You don't avoid it, you manage it. (Orphic)

8- What do you envision as your greatest struggle?
a. Man against Nature. The wilderness sucks, it’s all about beating it. (Astral)
b. Man against the System. The fucking bureaucracy of society is a monster to be slain. (Orphic)
c. Man against Man/Religion. People suck, and are the thing most commonly holding me back. (Infernal)

9- Which would least bother you?
a. Being too hot. (Infernal)
b. Being too cold. (Orphic)
c. Being in the middle of nowhere. (Astral)

10- Which video game would you most prefer to play?
a. Something Survival-Horror-y, like Silent Hill or the early Resident Evils. (Infernal)
b. Something open ended and fairly simple, like Pacman or Asteroids. (Orphic)
c. Something where you’re plunged into a state of nature and have to fight for everything, but have freedom to build whatever you want, like Rust or Minecraft. (Astral)

11- What genre could you never tire of?
a. Dystopian dramas and psychological thrillers. (Orphic)
b. Creature Features and Giant Monster Movies. (Astral)
c. Slasher flicks and Horror. (Infernal)

12- You’ve got a day off, which of the following would be the most appealing use of the time?
a. Start a flame war online and wreck some fucker. (Infernal)
b. Close yourself off from distractions—lock the door, unplug the phone, turn off the computer—and finish a book or two. (Orphic)
c. Spend some time outside or with my pets. (Astral)

13- Which seems the most interesting to study?
a. Pyrotechnology (Infernal)
b. Archaeology (Orphic)
c. Ecology (Astral)
Last edited by Prak on Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Revise yer videah game section. Aside from the obvious typo, you should change "mindless" to a less negative term.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Thank you. Fixed.

Also... mindless isn't that negative when applied to games, in my opinion, but, meh.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Infernal Animate. By a slim margin (Astral, Vampire, Lycanthrope are all really close).
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok, now you're an android. All your romances are doomed.

momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

Tied between Tra/Ani/Lev (with Wit/Lyc both only one point behind), but definitely Orphic (5 vs 1 of each Astral/Infernal).

But I know I'm not a vampire I guess.
On the quiz: "Man against Nature" was sort of confusing. I was going to pick it, because bending the universe to my will by understanding its rules is kinda my thing, but then the extra bit was all about wilderness being bad? I don't know if that's actually a contradiction but it made it hard for me to tell if I agreed or not. And I thought creature features/giant monster movies were horror? But that's not my area of expertise and it's a minor point at best.

Otherwise I'm quite pleased. Very cool.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Did you pick any of the weird ones, like "Hurting people (vampire/baali)?" I'd look to those for tie breakers.
Man vrs Nature is one of the classic conflict forms
Wikipedia wrote:"Man against nature" conflict is an external struggle positioning the hero against an animal or a force of nature, such as a storm or tornado or snow.[8][10] The "man against nature" conflict is central to Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea, where the protagonist contends against a marlin.[15] It is also common in adventure stories, including Robinson Crusoe.[1]
Last edited by Prak on Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Lyc: xx
Vamp: x
Wit: xxx
Tra: xxx
Lev: x
Ani: xxx

Infernal: x
Astral: xxx
Orphic: xxx

Well, that didn't really help.

So, I was tracking my answers in the search bar. The first 8 all formed a nice pattern, but the 9th broke it. So Google asks me "Do you mean 'c-c-c-c-c-combo breaker?'" :bored:
Last edited by TiaC on Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

Unless I'm missing something, those only grant tie-breaking to power sources, which were pretty clear. But I didn't select either of them, anyway. I can easily see switching question 2 from c to a, which would leave me solidly transhuman, which works out fine. That leaves me as a Reborn, I guess? Which is cool.

Hrm. That merely displaces my confusion rather than eliminating it, but it does remove the objection to the quiz itself, so that's fine.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

@TiaC:You fuckers are impossible

edit: on a more serious note- I actually find writing this to be damned hard. I tried to make sure pairs were duplicated as little as possible, but without resorting to questions like "Have you ever tried sugar? or PCP?" there are going to be some duplicated pairs either way. And there's only so much that can be directly related to splats. On the power sources, to completely fool proof even splits, I'd need to pull back to four questions, or add two. And I was fucking scraping the bottom of the barrel to get to seven.

@momo: yes, those only modify the power source stuff, but if a tie breaker is needed in the splats, I'd look to them.

edit: I missed the bit about creature flicks- I see it as more of a venn diagram. Tremors, most Godzilla movies, Hellboy 2, and a lot of other movies that focus on fantastical creatures aren't really horror, exactly, and I'd even that stuff like Gremlins isn't either.
Last edited by Prak on Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

If not for question 3, it would have been a 4-way tie instead for the first part.
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'm open to suggestions on the questions

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I'm pleased enough with having got a result I'd be okay with playing.

What would it make me if it had been Inf-Vam or Inf-Lyc?

But to be fair, basically any quiz that wishes to find out what sort of (thing you aren't) you are is going to have problems. Have you seen those things on quizilla or whatever? "What kind of mythological beast are you?" "Well none, I'm a human, but let's see what the closest match is." "What is your special power?" "Okay so really this is just asking what I'd LIKE to be."
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Infernal Vamp is Daeva (read- Morrigan with leopard spots) and Infernal Lycanthrope is Nezumi.

And yeah. It's dealing with broad associations. I did what I could.

codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Having a lot of close point totals isn't necesarily bad. It just means they'd probably enjoy playing most of those roles.
erik
King

Post by erik »

On 7 I would change c. For orphics. "Death is inevitable. You don't avoid it, you manage it."
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

I think you're focusing far too much on what the monsters are actually like physically and not enough on the emotions they represent. If you want to do a "what kind of AS splat are you?" quiz, the questions to ask are ones revolving around master passions rather than the physical process of being turned into a monster or whether or not you're vulnerable to sunlight.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Chamomile wrote:I think you're focusing far too much on what the monsters are actually like physically and not enough on the emotions they represent. If you want to do a "what kind of AS splat are you?" quiz, the questions to ask are ones revolving around master passions rather than the physical process of being turned into a monster or whether or not you're vulnerable to sunlight.
That's a fantastic point, although I think he's done a pretty decent job of emotional targeting, all things considered. I don't even see much "leading" in the questions. ( Things that are obviously my favorite monster or something I clearly want the answer to be. )
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

erik wrote:On 7 I would change c. For orphics. "Death is inevitable. You don't avoid it, you manage it."
Good point. Changing that.

On emotions-
Well... Question 1 is really a bit more about personality than it might seem. The first quiz had nothing to take into account the personality that would transform themselves, rather than letting it happen to them. But yeah, I could at least rephrase things to make them more about mentality. And I definitely tried to make questions that weren't leading.

pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

Results, in case you want to do any analytics type of stuff:

Answers:
1:a, 2:b, 3:c, 4: a (but b was close), 5: b, 6:b (c was close), 7:a (c was close), 8: b, 9:b, 10:a, 11:a, 12:b (c was _very_ close), 13:a

Results:
Witch: 4
Transhuman: 3
Vampire: 2
Lycanthrope: 2
Leviathan: 1
Animate: 1

Astral: 0
Infernal: 3
Orphic: 4

Left to my own devices I would have made a Baali, so this is pretty close to the result I would have generated. You're 2 for 2 on that front.

I picked question 12 as b in order to break the infernal/orphic tie that would have resulted if I had picked c.

I will have thoughts on wording later!