So, what do you think about basic income?

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

erik wrote:.htm, not .html

http://marshallbrain.com/manna1.htm
I think my favorite part is where people get fired and blacklisted forever for taking longer than the average time to perform a task. Because you know, that totally doesn't result in 100% unemployment in two days.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Ahh, so that's where the original l from url= went to. Fixed.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

The story definitely had some silly stuff like that, but I still enjoyed it. Hardly perfect, but the story only exists as a prologue to his proposed solution to mechanization.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Think about a normal fast food restaurant. A group of employees worked at the store, typically 50 people in a normal restaurant
I call bullshit right there.

And a google search backs me up: http://www.statista.com/statistics/1966 ... ince-2002/
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

Just wait until you get to the point where image recognition using radar is trivial but image recognition using light requires a fundamentally different chip architecture.

I mean they don't actually take away from the basic point of the piece, but there are a lot of pretty painful errors. Also the dialogue hurts. But those aren't why the story was linked in this thread, so
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Kaelik wrote:

I think my favorite part is where people get fired and blacklisted forever for taking longer than the average time to perform a task. Because you know, that totally doesn't result in 100% unemployment in two days.
Actually you'd fire about 50% of the workers right now and then more 50% of the remaining workforce once the new averages were computed. Keep repeating this process forever and you'll end with just one employee.

One thing that I find strange in these predictions about job market collapse and masses getting just minimum wage is that mysteriously somebody always keeps buying burgers enough for the business to turn a nice profit. In reality, a depressed job market should result in less people consuming and widespread losses in businesses like fast-food joints.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

I once read a short story where businesses solved that problem by automating consumption. Robots would make purchases based on human wants and needs to artificially raise demand. The result was a completely useless and wasteful closed loop that still made a profit on paper.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

nockermensch wrote:Actually you'd fire about 50% of the workers right now and then more 50% of the remaining workforce once the new averages were computed. Keep repeating this process forever and you'll end with just one employee.
People are also fired and permanently blacklisted for offenses such as "being late once ever" and "Being idle." I am also assuming that when half of the workforce is fired on the first day, and half of the workforce is fired on the second day, that at that point pretty much everyone will just fucking quit which is for the best because with unemployment at 75% in the national economy your business is about to go under anyway.

My point was just that it literally would have taken half a brain to write a non stupid sentence like "Computers fired you if you took longer than the target time" where you just don't define target time. But instead they went the extra mile and defined target time as the average time it took for the task to be completed, which is the kind of dumb that you read about in stories, but never expect to actually run into. Because for fucks sake, average means a really obvious thing.

Like, I think there might literally be a Dilbert Comic where Pointy Haired Boss wants to fire people who are below average in performance. That is how dumb that sentence was.
Last edited by Kaelik on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

rampaging-poet wrote:I once read a short story where businesses solved that problem by automating consumption. Robots would make purchases based on human wants and needs to artificially raise demand. The result was a completely useless and wasteful closed loop that still made a profit on paper.
Please tell me that's NOT the future where heading towards...
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

It's not. Companies will just make a shell company to buy the products because spending the $$ on robots is stupid when you can just have a paper that says there are robots.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

nockermensch wrote:
Kaelik wrote:

Actually you'd fire about 50% of the workers right now and then more 50% of the remaining workforce once the new averages were computed. Keep repeating this process forever and you'll end with just one employee.
Kaelik wrote:Like, I think there might literally be a Dilbert Comic where Pointy Haired Boss wants to fire people who are below average in performance. That is how dumb that sentence was.
There is, I immediately thought of it, because I read it when I was a kid and it amused me in an absurdist way.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Just so we're clear, the story isn't some luddite thing. If you read past the half-baked extended intro it goes to his proposed solution.
Last edited by Meikle641 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Meikle641 wrote:Just so we're clear, the story isn't some luddite thing. If you read past the half-baked extended intro it goes to his proposed solution.
"Wait, Eclipse Phase? But I thought this would be a Paranoia campaign!"
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Meikle641 wrote:Just so we're clear, the story isn't some luddite thing. If you read past the half-baked extended intro it goes to his proposed solution.
I only made it through the first page until now and I just read the second one. Solution to what? A completely unrealistic environment that will never happen?

Good we need more solutions without problems.
Manna, as described, is a horrible manager. I don't just mean horrible as then it would be awful to work under, I mean it would be totally worse than a human manager. 50% repeating attrition aside anyone actually being that micromanaged would be far slower than left to their own devices.

We need solutions for the zombie apocalypse before the Manna apocalypse.

Edit:
I should backpedal some. Mechanization/automation is going to be a problem. Just not at all the way depicted. It really is like using world war Z as a guide for treating Ebola.
Last edited by erik on Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

erik wrote:It really is like using world war Z as a guide for treating Ebola.
Didn't we have some people here who recommended bombing Ebola-infected population centers?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

erik wrote:
I only made it through the first page until now and I just read the second one. Solution to what? A completely unrealistic environment that will never happen?

Good we need more solutions without problems.
Manna, as described, is a horrible manager. I don't just mean horrible as then it would be awful to work under, I mean it would be totally worse than a human manager. 50% repeating attrition aside anyone actually being that micromanaged would be far slower than left to their own devices.

We need solutions for the zombie apocalypse before the Manna apocalypse.

Edit:
I should backpedal some. Mechanization/automation is going to be a problem. Just not at all the way depicted. It really is like using world war Z as a guide for treating Ebola.
Interestingly, my company recently undertook some anti-mechanisation. It was cheaper to hire minimum wage staff and get them to do rote work than it was to replace the expensive, fancy machinery.

I say "interestingly"; a more accurate term might be "infuriatingly", and a still more accurate term might be "amongst the most infuriating and depressing things I've come across recently." To use unskilled human labour in order to save expensive mechanical labour is to run civilisation in reverse, dammit. Not to mention being horribly exploitative.
Last edited by Laertes on Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

Well, as computing continues to get cheaper, robots get cheaper and software improves, a lot of those minimum wage people may well be out-competed by automation anyway.

Did CGPGrey's 'Humans Need Not Apply' get linked earlier in the thread? In any case, here it is again.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Laertes wrote:To use unskilled human labour in order to save expensive mechanical labour is to run civilisation in reverse, dammit.
Why?

Edit: Nevermind. I'm watching the video. :)
Last edited by Maj on Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
erik wrote:It really is like using world war Z as a guide for treating Ebola.
Didn't we have some people here who recommended bombing Ebola-infected population centers?
Nope. Not people anyway.

We do have a single troll who in addition to that, more recently tried to also offer up the view point that we should keep an open mind about letting people starve in the streets as being a good thing. It might not even be a person. I think it is a crude program that inputs random characters and converts them into despicable ideas of no redeeming value.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

Maj wrote:
Laertes wrote:To use unskilled human labour in order to save expensive mechanical labour is to run civilisation in reverse, dammit.
Why?

Edit: Nevermind. I'm watching the video. :)
To reply anyway...

If someone is hired to for a job that's just "do a machine's work but cheaper", then not only is thought, creativity and imagination not required, but it is actively a thing they don't want. The only reason that person is there is to mindlessly repeat a rote task as exactly as possible, with no opportunity to make it their own. Since they're hired at minimum wage and on a rolling short-term contract, they're clearly not expected to develop any skills or any professional pride either. It's degrading.

(It's a very thoughtful video. I quite like it. The voice really adds to it too.)